Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
n'thing the praise for the Echo Arena beta. Only managed to get in a couple of rounds this afternoon, but what I got felt unique and fun, especially for something that so dramatically takes away head movement.

The Proximity chat is a great feature. Slowly gaining on a guy in zero g whos gunning for the ball, muttering to himself 'Allright. im going to get it... I'm going to get it...." Only for me to grab his leg, pull myself up on his back and retort "Not today" before punching him in the head and stealing the ball out of his grasp was one of the more memorable experiences I've had in VR for awhile.

Hopefully the full game has legs and people stuck with it. If Bridge Crew taught me anything, to get a populous multiplayer population you really need Multi headset support.

But for now, get on it whilst the beta's free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tom Guycot posted:

Out of curiosity, did you go into options and disable all snap turning and pitch and all that? Thats the big problem i've heard is the sensitivity makes you accidentally snap turn when trying to press buttons. Knuckles should be able to perfectly emulate it, its got a trackpad, 2 buttons and the grip that isn't a little button.

Yes.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Is that audio strap compatible with the welding mask mod? Because if I owned a vive that's the first thing I'd get my hands on.

The welding mask mod usually doesn't allow it to swing up it just increases stability and comfort without an audio solution. Personally I'd suggest just getting the deluxe audio strap.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Superhot VR is the daily deal on the Oculus store, $5 less than on Steam.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Isometric Bacon posted:

n'thing the praise for the Echo Arena beta. Only managed to get in a couple of rounds this afternoon, but what I got felt unique and fun, especially for something that so dramatically takes away head movement.

The Proximity chat is a great feature. Slowly gaining on a guy in zero g whos gunning for the ball, muttering to himself 'Allright. im going to get it... I'm going to get it...." Only for me to grab his leg, pull myself up on his back and retort "Not today" before punching him in the head and stealing the ball out of his grasp was one of the more memorable experiences I've had in VR for awhile.

Hopefully the full game has legs and people stuck with it. If Bridge Crew taught me anything, to get a populous multiplayer population you really need Multi headset support.

But for now, get on it whilst the beta's free!

The MP is going to be free so that should help it quite a lot I would think.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bhodi posted:

Is that audio strap compatible with the welding mask mod? Because if I owned a vive that's the first thing I'd get my hands on.

I've been under the impression that the welding mask mod is making up for the weaknesses in the original strap and wouldn't have a purpose with the deluxe one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is NoLimits 2 Roller Coaster Sim 2 worth the $27 if all I care about is riding realistic coasters and something quick and easy to demo for people? Not really interested in building my own.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can you flip people off with the knuckles controller, I think that's all anyone cares about.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Zero VGS posted:

Can you flip people off with the knuckles controller, I think that's all anyone cares about.

Based on that demo video, yes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Please play Echo Arena, it works with Revive and it's so loving good

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Please play Echo Arena, it works with Revive and it's so loving good

Apparently the revive developer released another new version yesterday that fixed the jittery issues with echo arena and revive.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Holy drat, you guys weren't kidding about Superhot. Only downside is I had to stop playing in pretty short order cause my face sweat was funking up the foam on my Rift.

Speaking of, are the VRCovers replacements still crap?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Holy drat, you guys weren't kidding about Superhot. Only downside is I had to stop playing in pretty short order cause my face sweat was funking up the foam on my Rift.

I have the super-thin one and I'm happy with it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

The thin ones are great in my experience but there have been cases of sweat wicking into the HMD and causing damage, at least in the case of the Vive (though I wouldn't imagine the Rift being particularly waterproof). Just be sure to take a break every now and then to dab the thing down a bit if you're getting sweaty.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
Can anyone with prescription glasses and the vive deluxe audio strap comment on if it makes the headset easier or harder to put on?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jager posted:

Can anyone with prescription glasses and the vive deluxe audio strap comment on if it makes the headset easier or harder to put on?

I have both, it's way better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jager posted:

Way way way way way way way easier

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Zero VGS posted:

VR important gestures checklist:
✓ can flip people off
✓ can make circle with one hand and penetrate it with the other

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sintax posted:

VR important gestures checklist:
✓ can flip people off
✓ can make circle with one hand and penetrate it with the other

You can do the second one in Bridge Crew already!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Goddamn the Echo Arena beta is over

jesus that poo poo was so good

A whole month until it comes out for real :(

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If you haven't already opt in to the SteamVR beta to get the new home.

I have thrown so much virtual trash in virtual national parks it's amazing.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I just discovered I can buy a Vive with all these silly Qantas frequent flyer points I have saved up! Time to join the early adopters.

Question: What is that thing on the HTC Vive AU store that says "Coming Soon later this year: No phone, no PC, standalone VR"?

edit: link was broken on the AU store but the US one goes here https://www.vive.com/us/product/standalone/
Some daydream powered thing with a remote. I'll just jump on the vive train.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 26, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm so bummed, I didn't realize the beta was only this weekend and I didn't mess around with Echo Arena AT ALL. Never even loaded it up :(

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

If you haven't already opt in to the SteamVR beta to get the new home.

I have thrown so much virtual trash in virtual national parks it's amazing.

You don't need the beta for that anymore. Valve pushed it out to everyone a while a go.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up Chronos the other day and finally got around to checking it out. Third person action-RPG with a really interesting death/aging/level up mechanic. I'm really digging it, definitely worth picking up on sale.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

Picked up Chronos the other day and finally got around to checking it out. Third person action-RPG with a really interesting death/aging/level up mechanic. I'm really digging it, definitely worth picking up on sale.

I agree, it's great. Fantastic design and atmosphere. Hard as hell on hard mode too, like a less deep Dark Souls

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if people are like me and were unaware that there's lots of pinball options in VR now, there are. Zachariah is 50 bucks on the current sale for like a billion tables and it works apparently perfectly in VR. I've never liked virtual pinball much but I imagine VR will make the difference.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I just got the pinball fx2 vr tables and I really like being able to follow the ball with my eyes instead of relying on the camera to pan around the table. Maybe I can finally beat that loving pyramid on the mars table...

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Didn't get a chance to play Echo Arena until the end of the weekend and played all the way till the servers died. Holy poo poo that got fun as gently caress fast. Also people invading each other's personal space in lobby was hilarious ("too close! too close!" "just let it happen man" "it's all free love in the future bro" as complete strangers form a human centipede).

Now that I'm getting into more 360 multiplayer games, the cord-wrap-mummify problem is becoming a real party pooper.

What do you guys do for cable management in this dark age before wireless? I keep thinking of attaching it to some kind of mount above me but somehow I feel that will end in disaster. But having to keep track of it on the floor is really annoying when I'm darting around doing fun poo poo in multiplayer. I ended up using snap turning in Echo Arena to recenter irl but that totally killed the fun of it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mellowjournalism posted:

Didn't get a chance to play Echo Arena until the end of the weekend and played all the way till the servers died. Holy poo poo that got fun as gently caress fast. Also people invading each other's personal space in lobby was hilarious ("too close! too close!" "just let it happen man" "it's all free love in the future bro" as complete strangers form a human centipede).

Now that I'm getting into more 360 multiplayer games, the cord-wrap-mummify problem is becoming a real party pooper.

What do you guys do for cable management in this dark age before wireless? I keep thinking of attaching it to some kind of mount above me but somehow I feel that will end in disaster. But having to keep track of it on the floor is really annoying when I'm darting around doing fun poo poo in multiplayer. I ended up using snap turning in Echo Arena to recenter irl but that totally killed the fun of it.

I have both a Rift and a Vive so I use the vive connector doohickey with my Rift to give me a few extra feet, which seemed to be ok for me for Echo Arena. I just had to untwist every few rounds. I only stomped the cords out of my computer once so I consider that pretty good.

I think if I finally stopped being lazy and figured out which of those extenders would work for me it'd probably be fine for now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mellowjournalism posted:

I was playing a game with a dev and he was styling on me so I punched him in the face and did like an earnest "boo hoo hoo" over voice chat, really sold the experience for me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I am cured of the desire to play any other video games

Give me more Echo Arena aaaaaaaaa

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mellowjournalism posted:

I just picked up some extension cables so I have more than enough slack now for the cable to never come up off the ground and I can just step over it and untwist it every so often. Specifically I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045532LU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7S2FRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (specifically the 6' length of each) and I haven't had a single issue. I've also heard the 2 in 1 cable best buy sells works? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-9-vr-extension-cable-black/5706844.p?skuId=5706844 Though I've also heard people say it had trouble with their particular video card unless they had an hdmi repeater. I know the one I got at least is also the one oculus recommends themselves.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah I have enough slack (just used random extenders I had lying around), it's more that I REALLY get into VR. I envisioned this whole investment as a workout thing first actually--and so far it's actually been great--but I don't think there's any good solution to my whining besides wireless. When I'm sliding my feet around and slipping and bobbing and weaving and doing stupid kung fu poo poo, there's just no avoiding the cable. Does moving like this actually help you in any game, even melee ones? Absolutely not. Does it exponentially multiply the fun I'm having? Yes, yes, yes, quadrupledrople yes.

I freakin love VR :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It seemed to help in Echo Arena actually - ducking away from people grabbing at you or jumping up to catch a wall can make the difference

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, extension cables. Thanks for that reminder, just spent 50 bucks on some 30 foot usb and hdmi extenders. now I don't need to get tpcast (was mostly just getting it so I didn't need to move the pc from office to vr room whenever I want to play)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Any tips for cat management? They have an awkward habit of laying down in my VR space.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Any tips for cat management? They have an awkward habit of laying down in my VR space.

Step on them a few times?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShadowHawk posted:

If you have a VIVE and you're on Steam VR you can double-tap the menu button to get CYBER VR-REAL-WORLD VISION which feels super cool and lets you find your cats and move them every so often, without having to take off your headset or anything.

Petting my cats from within VR is pretty wild.

If you don't have a VIVE sucks to be you! (sorry bud)

Also put them in cat-beds in the sides of the room before you start, or even better just move them to another room and close the doors. Mine are pretty good about staying put while I walk around though :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do a lot of people still play Pavlov?