Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I don't think Cornyn is actually correct that August 1st is the drop dead date, legislatively. The actual drop dead date is when the fiscal year ends, I think, because then they have to move onto the 2018 reconciliation bill and they've lost this one. I think that's sometime in September.

There is probably a point before September that McConnell would decide to just have a vote, let it fail, and move onto cutting taxes before he actually was required to.

But then any tax cuts would have to have a 10 year sunset, if I'm understanding the process correctly. The point was to get savings here, then have a lower baseline for tax reform. If they can't get that lower baseline, it's basically bush cuts 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I don't think Cornyn is actually correct that August 1st is the drop dead date, legislatively. The actual drop dead date is when the fiscal year ends, I think, because then they have to move onto the 2018 reconciliation bill and they've lost this one. I think that's sometime in September.

There is probably a point before September that McConnell would decide to just have a vote, let it fail, and move onto cutting taxes before he actually was required to.

Well that's the same thing then because the Senate isn't in session at all during August,

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/2017_schedule.htm

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

DaveWoo posted:

Welp, that's it for this version of the bill, at least.

Maybe next time they can get the number of people who will lose insurance down to only 21 million!

They've gone from 24 to 23 to 22, just 21 more iterations and they'll have this

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Lee of Utah didn't like it either.

Anything come from that tick tick guy?

Carter Page is a stoolie.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

But then any tax cuts would have to have a 10 year sunset, if I'm understanding the process correctly. The point was to get savings here, then have a lower baseline for tax reform. If they can't get that lower baseline, it's basically bush cuts 2.0.

The 10 year period isn't in law and they are looking at deciding that actually the correct time period to look at is 20-30 years and then make it expire after that long instead. And even if they don't do that, bush cuts 2.0 is still a pretty good deal for their donor base.

This is another one of those bits of procedural fuckery that make it much more likely Democrats just abolish the filibuster entirely if they get control.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Collins is likely positioning for a gubernatorial run next year as a moderate. They'll squeak by tomorrow with just enough votes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Glumslinger posted:

CNN sent a courtroom sketch artist to the Friday briefing

Better idea: Send a famous artist to do sketches.

"Jim Lee does a press briefing"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is it possible that by passing this we could see a complete failure of the health insurance marketplace because the market is now adjusting to Obamacare and this yanks the rug out?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hollismason posted:

Is it possible that by passing this we could see a complete failure of the health insurance marketplace because the market is now adjusting to Obamacare and this yanks the rug out?

I'd hesitate to say complete but it'll sting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Milosh posted:

Collins is likely positioning for a gubernatorial run next year as a moderate. They'll squeak by tomorrow with just enough votes.

There are four senators who have announced they're voting no on the MTP without getting amendments that satisfy them, Heller and Paul have staked out positions that are basically not reachable by an amendment, and Lee probably won't accept something that quickly because if McConnell will give him X today he can hold out for X + Y when McConnell gets more desperate. And I have no faith whatsoever in Collins but she made it a lot harder to back the bill with that statement. It did not include the caveats/trapdoors you'd expect if she was mapping her way to yes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

individual market, absolutely. it'll take some more work to destroy the employer market too.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I work for an already struggling hospital chain and this poo poo is freaking me the hell out. I like my job.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
McConnell is Hood Robin, who steals from the poor and gives to the rich.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they don't pass this before the end of the week, they only have July 9-30 to rewrite and pass something or it's dead for good right?

They have 7 weeks (not including this one) to pass a Healthcare bill, increase the debt ceiling, and pass ongoing resolutions to keep the government open.

Without doing so they're going to be hard-pressed to get ANYTHING besides healthcare done in 2018... leading right up to the mid-term. That said, McConnell has already floated the idea of cancelling the August recess.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought employment within the Healthcare Field increased as more people became insured , but I can't find that report.

evilweasel posted:

individual market, absolutely. it'll take some more work to destroy the employer market too.

If the individual market crashes why do you think that would not immediately effect the employer market?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The fact that this sequence of words can exist and not be considered utterly absurd freaks me out.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
The real easy win for the GOP would to just let people buy into medicare with a flat percentage of their pre-tax payroll income.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

Well that's the same thing then because the Senate isn't in session at all during August,

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/2017_schedule.htm

Ahh, that explains it. But if he gets the votes on August 15th you'd better believe everyone's vacation is getting canceled.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this is a repost, but the American Medical Association wrote an open letter to McConnell and Schumer (PDF) stating that "this bill violates the 'first do no harm' standard on many levels."

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm at a jiffy lube getting my car tuned and I have an unobstructed view of Lou Dobbs tonight.

The last 4 things that have happened :

1. "coming up next, Dems dangerous obstruction a losing strategy?"
2. A shot of Trump walking across the tarmac with TRUMP VICTORY banner across screen with a voice over talking about the successful travel ban
3. Memory pill commercial
4. Type two diabetes medicine commercial

Lmao

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Keep in mind we're not even halfway through reconciliation yet. Traditionally there are a poo poo ton of amendments that are added to the bill during the 20 hours of debate, which can change the shape of the bill pretty drastically. After that, we've still got the joint conference between the House and Senate featuring Meadows and the House Scorpion Caucus trying to make an AHCA + BCRA reconciliation bill that both chambers will have to pass.

evilweasel posted:

Insurers have to have their 2018 QHPs on the exchanges finalized by mid-September, too. Delaying this is not going to make them happy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

The fact that this sequence of words can exist and not be considered utterly absurd freaks me out.

Why?

You're familiar with the AMA right? The organization which essentially monopolized medicine in the 1920's?

The AMA is also responsible in large part for why the US doesn't have a single-payer system

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

I'm at a jiffy lube getting my car tuned and I have an unobstructed view of Lou Dobbs tonight.

The last 4 things that have happened :

1. "coming up next, Dems dangerous obstruction a losing strategy?"
2. A shot of Trump walking across the tarmac with TRUMP VICTORY banner across screen with a voice over talking about the successful travel ban
3. Memory pill commercial
4. Type two diabetes medicine commercial

Lmao

The Fox News demographic is mainly on Medicare and could not give a poo poo about healthcare...

... but you know Paul Ryan, at this very moment, is doing some bicep curls and scheming...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Phlegmatist posted:

Keep in mind we're not even halfway through reconciliation yet. Traditionally there are a poo poo ton of amendments that are added to the bill during the 20 hours of debate, which can change the shape of the bill pretty drastically. After that, we've still got the joint conference between the House and Senate featuring Meadows and the House Scorpion Caucus trying to make an AHCA + BCRA reconciliation bill that both chambers will have to pass.

The House is almost certainly just going to put the Senate bill up for a vote.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hollismason posted:

There's a reason why insurers are like no gently caress you.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Even if it's only because she fears for her political future, this is the right decision and I hope she sticks to it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PT6A posted:

there are non-profit hospital chains, it makes sense hospitals would be affiliated to share overhead/etc

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

there are non-profit hospital chains, it makes sense hospitals would be affiliated to share overhead/etc

Hospitals have also consolidated as a means of increasing negotiating power.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Boon posted:

Why?

You're familiar with the AMA right? The organization which essentially monopolized medicine in the 1920's?

The AMA is also responsible in large part for why the US doesn't have a single-payer system

You added what I was going to add, in your spoiler.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Randbrick posted:

That CBO score does not reflect merely death and suffering, it also reflects the practical collapse of medical care as an industry. If this passes, there will be layoffs overnight across multpile industries. Doctors, nurses, hospital admin, social workers, counselors and therapists, janitors, orderlies, insurance adjusters, my god.

This bill is recession that will hit immediately, and will devastate a load bearing pillar industry in a massive, cross-cutting way.

This is exactly what I was afraid of.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Better idea: Send a famous artist to do sketches.

"Jim Lee does a press briefing"

It should be Rob Liefeld to properly capture the grotesquerie :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I get that, and it makes sense given the US system that such things would exist, it's just bizarre that a system that fosters such a thing has been permitted to exist for so long. It's just another absurdity spawned by the nonsensical notion of healthcare as something other than a social service.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

You added what I was going to add, in your spoiler.

Jaxyon, have you read Paul Starr's The Social Transformation of American Medicine by chance? You might be interested in it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I really wish the United States would get its head out of its rear end and remove lobbyists from politics.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/879480255077134338

This is a good question, actually. There's a lot of Senators who might sign onto this if it comes to a vote, but would prefer a less evil approach. I don't know if this is McConnell mediating between them and conservatives, or that McConnell actually just really wants to gut medicaid like Ryan does and will risk the bill itself to get that done.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Invalid Validation posted:

I really wish the United States would get its head out of its rear end and remove lobbyists from politics.

Is there another country that has done this? Genuinely curious.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lobbyists aren't the problem. You will always have people whose job it is to advocate to representatives on behalf of an industry or whatever. It's when those lobbyists have power because they control donations that they become a problem, rather than their power because they are arguing for what is economically good for your district/popular with the people in your district/etc. It gets slimy because they have the ability to hand out legal bribes, and the legal bribes are what need to be banned.

Like, for example, say you care about net neutrality. You need someone who understands the issue and can explain it to your Senator and can explain the legislation that net neutrality advocates want passed. You just don't want them able to hand out $100k checks to increase support for that legislation.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/879480255077134338

This is a good question, actually. There's a lot of Senators who might sign onto this if it comes to a vote, but would prefer a less evil approach. I don't know if this is McConnell mediating between them and conservatives, or that McConnell actually just really wants to gut medicaid like Ryan does and will risk the bill itself to get that done.

Does Mitch have actual views about things that he cares about? I've always seen him as an empty suit representing the rich's need for tax cuts.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

empty whippet box posted:

Does Mitch have actual views about things that he cares about? I've always seen him as an empty suit representing the rich's need for tax cuts.

He does love the Cardinals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

he strongly believes that money is speech, and i sort of suspect that yes he believes in the Holy Book of Tax Cuts

he's just rare for a conservative these days in that he can think more than five minutes in advance and beyond his immediate impulses and work effectively towards his goals instead of demanding an entire loaf, right now, not 95% of a loaf with 5% to come tomorrow, but he may be banking on that if you cut 750b from medicaid and leave the filibuster intact it's hard for democrats to reverse it

• Locked thread