Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I desperately need to catch up on the MMPR comic.

It's dope, Higgins is delivering on his promises of exploring what their world must be like in between 30 minute episodes with a budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/hidiveofficial/status/878333107463528448

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The PR comic over the past six months is the most dumb-rear end fanfiction that I think I've ever read. The only real accomplishment is doing it's best to drag icons from later seasons (particularly White Ranger icons like the Falconzord) passively into season 1 by doing a whole bunch of Doctor Who style continuity-jumping antics. It's like they're trying to do the kind of intrigue and plot-twists of something like In Space or Time Force, while clinging to the well trod ground of MMPR season 1, and it does a lot of rear end-pulls along the way. (hey, who knew the zords could just go up to the moon and attack Rita's palace? Well, now they can)

It's also so stupidly uber-serious at times, it really is like some fanfiction writer consulted Jason David Frank on what the most awesome PR story would be. The result is some weird hybrid of Michael Bay style action pacing, JJ Abrams style sci-fi nonsense, and big heavy focus on Tommy.

I'm not saying it's horrible, but it is swinging for the fences and missing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 24, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

The PR comic over the past six months is the most dumb-rear end fanfiction that I think I've ever read. The only real accomplishment is doing it's best to drag icons from later seasons (particularly White Ranger icons like the Falconzord) passively into season 1 by doing a whole bunch of Doctor Who style continuity-jumping antics. It's like they're trying to do the kind of intrigue and plot-twists of something like In Space or Time Force, while clinging to the well trod ground of MMPR season 1, and it does a lot of rear end-pulls along the way. (hey, who knew the zords could just go up to the moon and attack Rita's palace? Well, now they can)

It's also so stupidly uber-serious at times, it really is like some fanfiction writer consulted Jason David Frank on what the most awesome PR story would be. The result is some weird hybrid of Michael Bay style action pacing, JJ Abrams style sci-fi nonsense, and big heavy focus on Tommy.

I'm not saying it's horrible, but it is swinging for the fences and missing.

On the other hand Tommy grabbing a giant robot laser because he's on the moon and shooting that poo poo off rules

also the focus is probably going to shift but higgins was p upfront about how the first arc was going to be immediately post Green With Evil and deal with tommy actually beoming a part of the team

we know that the second arc is going to be about the rest of this version of the world and how it deals with the fact that robots and monsters duke it out every so often from the solicits, which if i can remember the login to diamond i will post here

edit here's the relevant solicit, for the september issue (the one for next month is the most generic ad copy ever jfc)

quote:

As the dust settles from Rita's global takeover, the government begins investigating the Power Rangers in an operation that will strike right to the very core of the team.

power rangers vs the government sounds dope

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 24, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also this series is full of goofy rear end pulls because its a loving kids show, robo godzilla fighting a witch on the moon rules, black dragon rules, the pterodactyl detaching from the megazord to catch a falling car rules

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think they should just go ahead and occasionally tell season 2/3 stories than trying to jump the shark in this way. (Especially since PR/JLA had a Zedd who was just as funny and snarky as he was on TV. "You were just in an explosion. Shouldn't you be writhing in pain a little longer than that?")

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

I think they should just go ahead and occasionally tell season 2/3 stories than trying to jump the shark in this way. (Especially since PR/JLA had a Zedd who was just as funny and snarky as he was on TV. "You were just in an explosion. Shouldn't you be writing in pain a little longer than that?")

thats not what jumping the shark is, also tom taylor is in general much better at this kind of book than....well, just about anyone, but he's exclusive wtih dc iirc

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So has Kyuranger calmed the gently caress down a little and let its characters be characters yet? I dropped it at 12.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Hyper Muteki is the most fabulous Ex-Aid form yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/879062927722123264

Note that this is not Dean Israelite reflecting that maybe they should have made their movie to more appeal to a younger audience, but more that the MPAA hosed up and rated their movie wrong and that's why it did bad.

Also, not realizing that PG movies basically don't exist anymore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, I'd argue that G doesn't really exist anymore. At least as theatrical movies.

Stuff like Frozen, Pixar films, kids movies are still pretty heavy on the PG side. Now if you just combined G and PG into General Audiences, like you should, then yeah.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Speaking of which, I finally saw the Power Rangers movie last night, thanks Amazon for releasing movies digitally before the Japanese get them in theatres. I enjoyed the first hour more than the actual Power Rangers section at the end and I think it would have been better over-all as like a darker send-up of Power Rangers rather than an actual Power Rangers movie since the actual Power Rangers parts were kind of poo poo. I liked the training montages plenty, but then they only get used for one half-assed fight scene (with no weapons!) before jumping into the zords for an equally weak megazord fight. I don't know how you manage to make a megazord fight boring when the current standard tends to be huge bulky suits rolling towards the bad guys or standing still and firing lasers, but they managed it with Goldar VS A Megazord We Don't Even Get To See Transform. I do genuinely hope it gets a sequel though, maybe they can improve further since it already exceeded expectations.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 26, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not going to get a sequel because it absolutely bombed. It even bombed in China! You can see that they're really trying to push the home video release as their last breath, but this is it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not going to get a sequel because it absolutely bombed. It even bombed in China! You can see that they're really trying to push the home video release as their last breath, but this is it.

they also made a fuckload off of merch which is what they were banking on

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

don't forget that sweet krispy kreme payoff

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spoilers below for Ex-Aid

https://twitter.com/Blazewyvern/status/878763279623086080

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/tokunation/status/879309564390195200

Remember W? It's back, in project form!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Chihiro you dumbass motherfucker what did you think was going to happen if she regained her memories?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This could be interesting though I doubt we'll be seeing Phillip again since he's kind of a big name actor in Japan right now and the case seems to be that once you get famous over their your agency won't let you go back to doing stuff like Toku no matter what your personal feelings on the matter are (For example, Takeru(ShinkenRed) and Ryoutaro(Den-O)'s actors have stated on multiple occasions that they'd love to return to their roles if given the chance and Mitsuki's actress had to fight tooth and nail just to get a cameo in the first episode of Akibaranger S2).

Still though, considering W is one of my favorite Kamen Rider shows I'm looking forward to hearing more about this regardless.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Chihiro you dumbass motherfucker what did you think was going to happen if she regained her memories?

It's everything he could have ever wanted and more

And on the plus side, now he can feel better about his mom not being dead! And Jin will be SUPER happy she's alive too! Clearly they're going to reunite as a family and live happily ever after together forever

Oh I hope we get like, Kamen Rider Joker the Series, or Kamen Rider Skull the Series in Amazon Prime format.

Imagine Kamen Rider Skull taking over for Kamen Rider Amazons.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

the gently caress

Honestly, if Phillip's actor can't come back maybe they could pretend that final episode didn't happen. Or died from Earth Magic complications or whatever.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I need to go back and check if nobody actually told poor dumb Chihiro about the full extent of It's backstory.

Also, Jin eating part of Nanaha. That's a thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/zexeed_elshim/status/879216659805818882

By the way, Build's still a-comin'.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do we have an idea of when? I thought I heard build was starting earlier than normal and than exaid was going to be a slightly shorter serjes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think what I heard was August?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The toy catalog mentions Build is being revealed in August, not that the show will begin in August.

Some people suspect it might begin in September though, since the sofubis and gashas are going on sale earlier than usual.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ignis posted:

The toy catalog mentions Build is being revealed in August, not that the show will begin in August.

Some people suspect it might begin in September though, since the sofubis and gashas are going on sale earlier than usual.

I mean that's still right on target for a regular length show then, since twelve more episodes puts it at the end of September

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Looks like the belt has some sort of crank or a motorcycle handle on it?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Pyroi posted:

Looks like the belt has some sort of crank or a motorcycle handle on it?

Kamen Rider Hog Cranker

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Coq au Nandos posted:

Kamen Rider Hog Cranker
I have no idea what a hog cranker is but it sounds dirty.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

I have no idea what a hog cranker is but it sounds dirty.

Cranking your hog is slang for jacking off

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the gimmick is probably assembling parts together, which is the same as fourze mechanically but different conceptually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kamen Rider LEGO

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the gimmick is probably assembling parts together, which is the same as fourze mechanically but different conceptually.

Can it be similar enough for a return of the THREE TWO ONE?

Because that was the best part of his henshin and responsible for so many great visual gags.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

gourdcaptain posted:

I need to go back and check if nobody actually told poor dumb Chihiro about the full extent of It's backstory.

Well I mean even if nobody told him "Her dad ate her" he knew she was dead and you'd have to think "Gee if she regains her memories maybe she'll freak out at remembering she died."

But then thinking does not seem to be Chihiro's strong suit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I mean even if nobody told him "Her dad ate her" he knew she was dead and you'd have to think "Gee if she regains her memories maybe she'll freak out at remembering she died."

But then thinking does not seem to be Chihiro's strong suit.

I think those crazy kids are going to be alright!

Clearly Nanaha and Jin are going to reconcile and raise Chihiro up right and give their blessing to the corpse that is now their daughter in law and Haruka will be an honorary uncle with his sister girlfriend and no one will ever die and everyone will live happily ever after

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Except mole boy. Mole is still hosed in this ending

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It all comes together for Ex-Aid :allears: One of the best episodes for the series, if not the best.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

GuyUpNorth posted:

It all comes together for Ex-Aid :allears: One of the best episodes for the series, if not the best.

Not to :files: but where are people getting subs? Excite seems to have stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Except mole boy. Mole is still hosed in this ending

Well the mole has to die.

That's just tradition

They got the order of events wrong though. He was a villain FIRST, then he joined the heroes

• Locked thread