Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The poison does hurt and made my sick dps lower bc I had to spam vercure every now and then. This was unforgivable so I destroyed it with antidote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ainsley McTree posted:

I switched to SAM because I enjoy melee classes a little more, but for real the ability to have a "save the group from wiping" button (two if you need to vercure) is extremely tempting to make me switch back.

It really is incredibly gratifying to be able to go above and beyond like this, yeah, especially without actually having to be a healer. On one run both healers ate poo poo in quick succession, so I Vercured the tank, Verraised one, Vercured the tank and Verraised the other, and mana shifted when the first healer got up. Left me almost totally dry, but we went on to win, so hey yo.

(You'd think as much as I enjoyed that I'd like healing, but I think I'm too much of a lizard-brained big numbers lover to not DPS. :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 26, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

It still irrationally, slightly annoys me that I ended up picking the ez-mode class, but after doing Lakshmi EX four times yesterday and making critical saves with cure and raise on two of them, I can still say RDM is the best class, difficulty and parses be damned.

It's that Vercure/Verraise save potential that makes RDM still attractive to me, but the core loop just isn't my style.

Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between BRD and SAM and it's a really tough choice (made slightly tougher by my irrational desire not to play the class that it seems like everyone else is playing, even though I'm already playing RDM so I'm already doing that :v:)

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

My character is only level 31 in the free trial. I know that's the elf girl who had about three lines that were all a variant of "everyone here is an rear end in a top hat" and left.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear she gets better.

She doesn't 'get better', she just comes back full-time at the end of Heavensward

Alisaie keeps it 100 all the time, and thus, is good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Blattdorf posted:

Sometimes you have to do a running jump because it also makes you jump higher. Don't sprint.

I got to a point where I was stuck and I saw some people poppin it, so I thought you had to. I got further today than I have before, but I screwed a jump and ended up so close to the bottom that I just said screw it. On the plus side, I knocked out all the aether in The Lochs. All that's left is the final dungeon (or at least what I assume is the final dungeon. Could be a Castrum Meridianum/Praetorium situation).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SonicRulez posted:

I got to a point where I was stuck and I saw some people poppin it, so I thought you had to. I got further today than I have before, but I screwed a jump and ended up so close to the bottom that I just said screw it. On the plus side, I knocked out all the aether in The Lochs. All that's left is the final dungeon (or at least what I assume is the final dungeon. Could be a Castrum Meridianum/Praetorium situation).

Final dungeon is a part of the ex roulette and is a routine 4 man dungeon.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mr. Nice! posted:

Final dungeon is a part of the ex roulette and is a routine 4 man dungeon.

It's also a rad as gently caress dungeon, with a ton of nice details if you look around while grinding your ex roulettes.

There are a ton of GC NPCs running around fighting, with speech bubbles. One guy tells you to attack the scorpion robot while his tail his up (final fantasy 7). Raubahn and Pippin are fighting together just inside the castle. Hien and some ninjas are fighting another group just outside the throne room. Probably a bunch more but I haven't looked too hard yet.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Back in the game after something like 18 months, my last patch was the second part of Alexander I think, I have absolutely forgotten everything about playing the game and I'm not in PBC anymore :(
Started SAM, tried a FATE by myself and died like a filthy DPS I am (used to play NIN), good times. Hopped on a FATE train in cohertas (?) and I have a better feeling of the class now, it's kind of similar to NIN with the Iaijutsu skills but I have no idea what the rotation should be as for now.
Seems like I also have quite a bit of content to catch up before starting the Stormblood MSQ, how long would that be ?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Countblanc posted:

4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content. Current SCH definitely does, it's just like Reiter said though, they make EXDR (and quite possibly future difficult 4-man content like Deep Dungeon) more challenging/slower by virtue of dealing notably less damage. Everyone I talk to who tanks dungeons regularly says it's a pretty notable difference, having a SCH versus either other healer. They still clear but it's slower and less fun. Plus any personal feelings about the job not being fun to play anymore but I can't comment on that.

Does anyone have a breakdown on BLM's opener/rotation, both for single target and AoE? I'm leveling it along with some friends and after taking it for a spin in Sirensong Sea I can tell my old habits aren't going to cut it.

I'd say the single target rotation is largely the same, it's just that now you stay in astral way longer due to umbral hearts and the way enochian works now. Not sure if it's better to open in astral or umbral though. I try to save Foul for right after blizz 3, personally, since sometimes it's the only thing you'll have enough MP to cast immediately.

For AoE, I definitely think it's better to start in umbral once you reach level 68 and can do double flares since you'll need to set up umbral hearts for that and it gives the tank some time to build enough aggro for you to not immediately rip it away due to two (or more, if convert or a max ether is off cooldown) back to back flares and probably a foul thrown in since you'll likely have one banked from the previous pull. Also, the thundercloud proc lasts just about long enough from a sharpcast thunder 4 that you only barely clip it if you use the thundercloud at the last second.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
currently 37 minutes into this expert roulette queue (position #35!!!) and wondering: what's the best way to level an alt combat job that doesn't involve instances, so I can stay in queues as a DPS? should I take my level 28 Gladiator out to do leves or FATEs or something? or should I just give up on getting Verity until I level it to 70?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

nuru posted:

[*] Sacred Soil doesn't increase the fairy gauge for some reason, and it needs to. This is mainly an issue now because our playstyle is designed to reward dumping aetherflow as much as we can to have that fairy gauge ready.

it does

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, there's a lot ot complain about with Scholar but a lot of it is satisfaction.

The Bane nerf is 100% nonsense. There's no good excuse for it, especially since like WHM gets frigging Aero 3 for much less effort and cost.
Aetherpact is basically worthless. The actual healing it does isn't enough for feeling good at level 70 content and basically the only thing it does is give you a mild bit of flexibility for focused healing if you're occupied with another mechanic but even then it isn't enough to be significant while it drains really quickly. It also has an incredibly long animation/windup and breaks really easily.
On a similar note Excog is a pile of crap. A situational Lustrate with a long cooldown in exchange for +50 potency is dumb. It could have a niche if it was "absurdly large precast emergency heal" but as it stands the only reason to cast it is to blow through a lingering Aetherflow stack so you can refresh, and the Aetherpact mechanic being worthless makes it somewhat more tempting to just hold that stack for an actual worthwhile skill. Even if you want to blow an Aetherflow stack Energy Drain at least replenishes a pittance of mana which matters more. Excog either needs to not fall off or be larger.
Selene went from the suboptimal choice to entirely worthless. There is no content where you'd ever want to bring Selene at all. Having an on-demand silence and a 3% buff doesn't make up for the fact that Eos is required now.

Honestly a lot of this can be fixed with numbers or mind adjustments. Selene needs an actual rework though. It was clearly designed for a much older version of the game. (I also feel like Selene should have a different Atherpact than Eos does, like a combat buff or something.)

Scholar's problems is that the abilities it got are either good to great for 8 man fights while it got a bunch of nerfs to 4 man content.
The bane nerf is somewhat overstated: it's a 4% nerf to 3 targets, and an 8% nerf to 4 targets. That's a pretty fair nerf when Scholars could beat some actual dps classes on aoe in dungeons, the bigger problem is the loss of a third dot eating more directly bane's power. Really, Scholar should've just gotten a third dot instead of Broil II at level 64. They'd still be worse in 4 man content than before, just not unreasonably so.
Aetherpact is weird and needs a lot of QoL to be functional, Excog is really good, just again, not in 4 man content where it's never gonna get procced and there's no marginal benefits to just using the aetherflow stacks for damage instead.

also selene is fine and there's no reason not to use her on the current end game content to speed things up unless you're solo healing the fight or the other healer is extremely bad.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I must have looked out of combat or something, you're right.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Rainbow Snowman dancing on air above Kugane Tower, or massive nightmare made material rising from the ocean depths in search of souls? Or perhaps both?

WrightOfWay posted:

This feels like it's probably overkill enmity if your co-tank has shirk, but I haven't really played with good DPS so maybe it isn't. There are a few tweaks you could make though. Tomahawk has higher enmity and damage than Overpower now, so there's no need to use OP in single target situations. You should also move Unchained after the Steel Cyclone, since SC is unaffected by Unchained. Also Block over Path on the last combo gives you a bit more damage and enmity and zeros out your beast gauge before you swap.

If it weren't for the unfortunate absence of Bloodbath I would agree that it's overkill, but Defiance without Unchained is a DPS loss no matter how you slice it, so you have to make the most out of Unchained and spend as little time in Defiance as possible afterwards. Steel Cyclone ignoring Defiance did slip my mind though, and I didn't even know Tomahawk's enmity multiplier was tweaked, so thanks for pointing those out.

http://ffxivrotations.com/rfd

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Just found out you can buy your way to 60 and get past the main quest line to go right to stormblood... that cut down a bunch of time for me so i can actually level and play current content.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

So is Fire 2 just not used at all at level 68+? Huh.

I did some math about this and I concluded that, if you assume that spellspeed, swiftcast, triplecast, and leylines don't exist (such that a Fire 2 Fire 2 Flare Flare rotation is like ~20.5 seconds total, while a Flare Flare rotation is 14.5 seconds), it's better to cast nothing but Flares on 5 mobs or fewer, while it's better to use Fire 2s and then Flare on your last umbral heart against six mobs or more, although the potency/second is very close either way.

That said, high spellspeed and proper use of cast speed increases probably cause the Blizzard 4, Fire 3, Flare, Flare, Repeat rotation to literally be shorter than Transpose's cooldown time, so even on fewer than six mobs it might behoove you to cast at least one Fire2 before you Flare so that you don't have any dead time after your second Flare.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

currently 37 minutes into this expert roulette queue (position #35!!!) and wondering: what's the best way to level an alt combat job that doesn't involve instances, so I can stay in queues as a DPS? should I take my level 28 Gladiator out to do leves or FATEs or something? or should I just give up on getting Verity until I level it to 70?

I queue up as DPS then go FATE around on DRK mindlessly until it pops.

I bitched about this in PBC yesterday to some length but man I wish you could get higher contributions on A and S ranks while solo. Several times I heard a callout while I was in queue, switched back to RDM, called out my chocobro, DPSed from the word go (actually doing the pull once), and getting 3 centurio seals for my time. :mad:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

I did some math about this and I concluded that, if you assume that spellspeed, swiftcast, triplecast, and leylines don't exist (such that a Fire 2 Fire 2 Flare Flare rotation is like ~20.5 seconds total, while a Flare Flare rotation is 14.5 seconds), it's better to cast nothing but Flares on 5 mobs or fewer, while it's better to use Fire 2s and then Flare on your last umbral heart against six mobs or more, although the potency/second is very close either way.

That said, high spellspeed and proper use of cast speed increases probably cause the Blizzard 4, Fire 3, Flare, Flare, Repeat rotation to literally be shorter than Transpose's cooldown time, so even on fewer than six mobs it might behoove you to cast at least one Fire2 before you Flare so that you don't have any dead time after your second Flare.

What about T4 maintenance? I've been doing B4, T4, F3 just so that I always have Thunder rolling because Thundercloud procs are really good.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

FATEs are really it until 50. Maybe get some leve power levels where applicable. Don't forget the Hunting Log either. At 50 you can add in the HW Beast Tribes and the suuuuuuuper low HW Hunts(50, 51, maaaaaybe 52 mobs.) Once you get 51 and your chocobro gets that healing power boost, you should be able to take all the HW hunts with some emergency potions on the tougher 58/59 mobs depending on class and how the RNG of the new hit rate system treats you. All the HW hunts total about 300k + kill experience at that point and scales up to half a mil at 59 where it stops. Vath and Vanu quests are roughly 300k all together at 50 with maximum experience bonus via reputation, and scale up to 600k at 59.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 27, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's also a rad as gently caress dungeon, with a ton of nice details if you look around while grinding your ex roulettes.

There are a ton of GC NPCs running around fighting, with speech bubbles. One guy tells you to attack the scorpion robot while his tail his up (final fantasy 7). Raubahn and Pippin are fighting together just inside the castle. Hien and some ninjas are fighting another group just outside the throne room. Probably a bunch more but I haven't looked too hard yet.

Merlwyb and Kan-E-Senna can both be seen during the street fighting. Senna is not an Honest Healer, I'm pretty sure I saw her shoot and aero or some rocks. Merlwyb is, ofc, just shooting dudes in the face.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I queue up as DPS then go FATE around on DRK mindlessly until it pops.

I bitched about this in PBC yesterday to some length but man I wish you could get higher contributions on A and S ranks while solo. Several times I heard a callout while I was in queue, switched back to RDM, called out my chocobro, DPSed from the word go (actually doing the pull once), and getting 3 centurio seals for my time. :mad:

While you still probably won't get max when solo, you can reasonably often get the 60% reward instead of the 10% reward by going as a tank. Contribution depends on threat.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
best detail in the final dungeon is Ishgard remembers, Warrior of Light!

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Vil posted:

While you still probably won't get max when solo, you can reasonably often get the 60% reward instead of the 10% reward by going as a tank. Contribution depends on threat.

Also, regardless of reward tier, theres always the chance of getting a cracked cluster for materia 6. Definitely hit up SB hunts regardless of your level if they're within reach of you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vil posted:

Oooof course it does. :doh:

All the more impetus to get DRK up to 70 even if I never really intend to play it, I suppose.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Can I sidetrack you all for a minute to talk about how goddamn amazing the new caster PvP pimp coat is, especially for Red Mages? And also how awesome femroes are.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Didn't notice it until last night, but it's nice that they went back to make doman weapons (from centurio seals) for Sam/Rdm.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't use bane unless there are a buttload of targets because it's just not worth using the aetherflow.

Why? with 2-4 targets, bane scales just slightly worse than before, and it's still 70 potency per tick (66 for 3rd and 52 for 4th enemy), and with small pulls you're definitely not using it on anything better because roused eos can handle it just fine.

Reiterpallasch posted:

The numbers are literally the things that are not wrong with Scholar in a raid setting. They're quite good once you recognize that 33+% of your healing output is coming from your fairy, for free, forever--better than AST, worse than WHM imo. Chain Stratagem is nuts. If you think Excogitation is bad you've never lost a tank to Punishing Heat -> Cleave or Ravensbeak -> autoattack or any other tankbuster -> medium hit, in which case you're either good enough or bad enough class balance arguments don't apply anyway. If you boost adlo to be on par with noct a.benefic or whatever the hell reddit wants to do, the class will be over the top.

It's in line with the other healers right now in raids; maybe a little bit worse but definitely not DELETE <CLASS> MEME levels of worse.

EXDR is the problem; there was no legitimate reason to lobotomize Bane the way they did. If they were worried about SMN they could've just given SCH a trait that buffed bane, or even better given them an AOE filler to replace blizzard 2.

Yeah. I haven't really done anything hard as sch yet, but I can see exactly how and where I'd use excog on fights where it'd be super useful and make my life 300% easier.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minrad posted:

Didn't notice it until last night, but it's nice that they went back to make doman weapons (from centurio seals) for Sam/Rdm.

Yeah until you realize its because they re-used the Doman weapons for SB weapons at like level 68 or 69 :v:

They're just a recolor. Instead of having to create SAM and RDM doman weapons plus weapons for everybody at 68, including SAM and RDM, they simply added SAM and RDM weapons to the doman and reused them all.

But its not like the game is lacking in weapons so no biggie.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
REITERPALLSCH'S COMPLETE, ACCURATE, AND INARGUABLY CORRECT WAY TO FIX SCHOLAR

- give Ruinaga or whatever as a spammable aoe option, worse than holy/grav to take bane into account. 150 potency, scaling down, applying a blind maybe? idk. give me a bone here.
- crank up the potency on the tether. 480/tick seems good but you're giving up embrace and aoe regens in the meantime.
- also make Rouse apply to the tether. this isn't really a balance thing but it's actively stupid and non intuitive that it doesn't.
- fix the hysterical bug that causes redacted to happen
- make Excogitation apply the heal if its duration times out. this is more of a qol/encourage people to use it thing, since this should Never Happen

that's it

WAYS NOT TO FIX SCHOLAR

- making the shields as mana efficient as noct ast, without taking into account the straight up~50% mana efficiency bonus from the fairy
- making chain strategem, a button you push, better than the Expanded Balance the AST spent the first 75% of the fight redrawing boles into spears for
- putting scholar's aetherflow back up to 20%, thereby making them even more bottomless than 3.x scholar in combination with lucid dreaming
- actually, doing anything else that makes them as mandatory as they were in 3.x, because healer balance right now is better than at any time during 3.x

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Spammable scholar AoE should be a thing that like, deals 25 or 30 potency to each target in a radius per DoT of yours on that target.

vOv posted:

What about T4 maintenance? I've been doing B4, T4, F3 just so that I always have Thunder rolling because Thundercloud procs are really good.

I think you just cast that whenever the last one runs out but I didn't really do any math about it.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One, Scholar needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever a Scholar's not in the party, all the other characters should be asking "Where's the Scholar"? Three-

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

You should be casting thunder 4 in this case, not fire 2 :v:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

REITERPALLSCH'S COMPLETE, ACCURATE, AND INARGUABLY CORRECT WAY TO FIX SCHOLAR

- give Ruinaga or whatever as a spammable aoe option, worse than holy/grav to take bane into account. 150 potency, scaling down, applying a blind maybe? idk. give me a bone here.
- crank up the potency on the tether. 480/tick seems good but you're giving up embrace and aoe regens in the meantime.
- also make Rouse apply to the tether. this isn't really a balance thing but it's actively stupid and non intuitive that it doesn't.
- fix the hysterical bug that causes redacted to happen
- make Excogitation apply the heal if its duration times out. this is more of a qol/encourage people to use it thing, since this should Never Happen

that's it

WAYS NOT TO FIX SCHOLAR

- making the shields as mana efficient as noct ast, without taking into account the straight up~50% mana efficiency bonus from the fairy
- making chain strategem, a button you push, better than the Expanded Balance the AST spent the first 75% of the fight redrawing boles into spears for
- putting scholar's aetherflow back up to 20%, thereby making them even more bottomless than 3.x scholar in combination with lucid dreaming
- actually, doing anything else that makes them as mandatory as they were in 3.x, because healer balance right now is better than at any time during 3.x

Has anyone in the thread suggested any of the things in your "not to fix" or are you yelling at reddit from here?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Scholars should have a DPS fairy

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Truga posted:

You should be casting thunder 4 in this case, not fire 2 :v:

You're not wrong, since a full-length T4 is a total of 230 potency per target compared to F2's 144.

The only balance change I want them to make to Black Mage is to hitch Fire 2 back up to 100 potency, or at least 90 or something, so that "Fire 2 until your last Heart, then Flare" is always the best AoE rotation as well as the most intuitively obvious AoE rotation.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Has anyone in the thread suggested any of the things in your "not to fix" or are you yelling at reddit from here?

gently caress if i'm signing up for a reddit account just for this, friend

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

You left out making Fey Union not feel so janky with activation, but I'll let that one slide. I wonder if the bug you redacted is the one I'm thinking of.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Fey Union isn't really janky, it actually happens when you tell the fairy you want it to happen, to the point where she interrupts a fey whisper cast already on cooldown to do it (cooldown disappears at least)

Activating fey whisper on the other hand....

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'd love that, but considering how janky literally everything else involving the fairy is, i'm not sure that one's within their power to fix

e: there's no real point sitting on it, i guess, since this is pretty well-known in some circles and nobody's chasing world firsts--pets in ffxiv inherit their summoner's stats. someone probably forgot that healers could still meld direct hit, which must've made fairies resort to some completely nonsensical placeholder data or something, because a trivial quantity of direct hit currently causes the fairy to get 100% direct hits on fey union ticks.
there's no way this doesn't get nerfed.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 27, 2017

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

It's that Vercure/Verraise save potential that makes RDM still attractive to me, but the core loop just isn't my style.

Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between BRD and SAM and it's a really tough choice (made slightly tougher by my irrational desire not to play the class that it seems like everyone else is playing, even though I'm already playing RDM so I'm already doing that :v:)

Honestly I don't even care people will see it as the "ez mode" job. I loving love it and apparently from my 2nd 70 being Paladin, I have a thing for jobs that can heal but aren't healer (they took it away from my old BLM main!).

Sure down the road when it comes down to pushing out max DPS. I'll be glad to be able to help out the party from potential wipes by being awesome at not just damage but in supporting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One of them chucks a bomb to blow up a barricade to let you through. (I think that might have been R'ashat Rhiki?) Another one commandeers a cannon to blow a hole in another barricade.