Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

lmao so she has absolutely no idea what the significance of the convenience store/the woodsmen is?

Oh if people are saying woodsman what's the woodsman. I thought just like, that guy out in the woods calling his brother to cry about being too high was important somehow, but if it's something from fire walk with me please tell me what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

btw maybe I was just really stoned but during the scene in the theater I could've sworn there was a shot where the shadow cast by the lady's hat looked just like that bird-shaped shadow from Cooper's dream in the lodge in season 1 . haven't seen anyone else mention it anywhere so I probably imagined it but w/e

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Gatekeeper posted:

when did that whole thing go down again? i thought it was some time in the 60's, so maybe we'll get a timeskip to 50s girl with a frogbugbob in her as an older hip swingin sexy lady gettin plowed by l. ron hubbard until coincidentally frogbugbob is done gestating and bursts out of her, bringing a hitherto unknown evil to the world (scientology)

1947, they say the ritual took place on "the weekend just before the UFO incident at Roswell."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Let's be real- the room above the convenience store appeared in FWWM's most garbled scene, and it was not even referred to or identifiable AS a room above a convenience store except in the extended Missing Pieces version. The woodsman was basically a background extra who didn't do or say anything significant.

As far as the iconography, mythos, and cultural impact of Twin Peaks goes, these are pretty far from the series' most recognizable elements.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

Did anyone else see a devil face in the smoke to the right of the nuke?

lmao that brings me back

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

lmao so she has absolutely no idea what the significance of the convenience store/the woodsmen is?

She knows that they're from "above the convenience store" but the woodsmen are probably lost on her since she saw the movie only one time when it came out and hated it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Krinkle posted:

Oh if people are saying woodsman what's the woodsman. I thought just like, that guy out in the woods calling his brother to cry about being too high was important somehow, but if it's something from fire walk with me please tell me what's up.
The guy in the woods who's too high is Jerry Horne.

The woodsmen (same character as the black sooty prison hobo, I guess?) lived above the convenience store with Bob, The Man From Another Place, Mrs. Tremond and her grandson and others. For a long time, people assumed that the woodsman (one of them, because there were a few) was the Log Lady's husband, but it looks like that's probably wrong now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

For a long time, people assumed that the woodsman (one of them, because there were a few) was the Log Lady's husband, but it looks like that's probably wrong now.

Yes, we finally have learned the real truth, which is that the woodsman was the white horse from Sarah Palmer's visions all along. Horse Mystery solved.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Krinkle posted:

When you say 90s point and click adventure game do you mean like... monkey island? I don't get what you mean.

Nah. Think Myst rather than Mokey Island.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CJacobs posted:

Yes, we finally have learned the real truth, which is that the woodsman was the white horse from Sarah Palmer's visions all along. Horse Mystery solved.
Drink full and descend :unsmigghh:

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
Rewatching the latest episode and... when the Laura Ball goes through the Golden Space Tube it lights up the holes in it in a way that visually echoes the weird lights in the windows of the plane last episode.

Does it mean anything significant? Who knows.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Oddly that felt more straight-forward than most episodes this season.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The episode is awesome, we're super lucky to experience this surreal craziness as it happens i.m.o

I kind of want to sound off about the magical evil homeless people. They are really super disturbing to me. Not only do they go for the head (which is a super Lynchy thing to do, like with Maddie's death scene or that one bit in Wild at Heart) in possibly the single most horrific murders I have seen on screen for a really long time, but the black skin is really unnerving.

Now that's obviously a little bit ... weird, given the obvious connotations of making white people put black paint on their skin and be the embodiments of utter evil. At least unlike minstrels it's clear to us that they're not explicit caricatures of black people, but they definitely remind me of the blackface in Birth of a Nation:

insert your own mental image here

Could it be that Lynch is playing off the shock of these images that are such integral parts of our cinematic past? I'm not sure what to think about it to be honest. It would be interesting if this leads into the series talking about a society's complicity in racial violence, just as the old series focused on the town's complicity in sexual violence. Counting down the minutes until an article on this aspect of the show rakes in a few clicks. I don't even think it would be entirely wrong, we as a culture are taught to view darkness of skin as threatening and analogous to the threats of genuine darkness (think of how the wolf is illustrated in the Three Little Pigs story). But in a vein that's less obviously racial what's also disturbing is the fact that in the scenes earlier in the series you had this matt black figure set in amongst the world of normal colour. But this episode was mostly super dark, with very little colour (the only major moments of real light being the opening credits and the A-bomb) so in a way it was kind of as if this episode was their 'home' so to speak. I don't know where I'm going with this.Guess I'm just super unsettled atm

e: gently caress it if every site on the internet is going to be difficult for me then gently caress it, google it yourself smh

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nothing about the hobos suggests African or any racial connotation to me. It's not the same as blackface.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

J_RBG posted:

The episode is awesome, we're super lucky to experience this surreal craziness as it happens i.m.o

I kind of want to sound off about the magical evil homeless people. They are really super disturbing to me. Not only do they go for the head (which is a super Lynchy thing to do, like with Maddie's death scene or that one bit in Wild at Heart) in possibly the single most horrific murders I have seen on screen for a really long time, but the black skin is really unnerving.

Now that's obviously a little bit ... weird, given the obvious connotations of making white people put black paint on their skin and be the embodiments of utter evil. At least unlike minstrels it's clear to us that they're not explicit caricatures of black people, but they definitely remind me of the blackface in Birth of a Nation:

insert your own mental image here

Could it be that Lynch is playing off the shock of these images that are such integral parts of our cinematic past? I'm not sure what to think about it to be honest. It would be interesting if this leads into the series talking about a society's complicity in racial violence, just as the old series focused on the town's complicity in sexual violence. Counting down the minutes until an article on this aspect of the show rakes in a few clicks. I don't even think it would be entirely wrong, we as a culture are taught to view darkness of skin as threatening and analogous to the threats of genuine darkness (think of how the wolf is illustrated in the Three Little Pigs story). But in a vein that's less obviously racial what's also disturbing is the fact that in the scenes earlier in the series you had this matt black figure set in amongst the world of normal colour. But this episode was mostly super dark, with very little colour (the only major moments of real light being the opening credits and the A-bomb) so in a way it was kind of as if this episode was their 'home' so to speak. I don't know where I'm going with this.Guess I'm just super unsettled atm

e: gently caress it if every site on the internet is going to be difficult for me then gently caress it, google it yourself smh

did you try googling "blackface birth of a nation"?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

eSporks posted:

Nothing about the hobos suggests African or any racial connotation to me. It's not the same as blackface.

i know, I said as much: "it's clear to us that they're not explicit caricatures of black people"

Maybe he credits with the intelligence that his audience seems to have mostly displayed by hopeing we just plain don't draw the connection to actual literal black people, but imho this places too much faith in white viewers

Art Alexakis posted:

did you try googling "blackface birth of a nation"?

yes, image upload wouldn't work for me, I'm not good with technology. I tend to have problems with technology.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The hobos look more like charred bodies than anything

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

What if the black gunk they have on them is burnt motor oil?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
A lot of people are suggesting that last night's episode details the bomb opening a rift to the Lodge, but I don't think that's right. Unless there's some time-fuckery going on, I'm guessing it's Bob's origin story more specifically. We know from the original series that the Black and White Lodge are part of the tribal legends of Hawk's people. That being so, it seems safe to say that the story had to have been old enough to predate 1945.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

did the shape of the nuclear explosion remind anyone else of the shape of the arm's head

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

JazzFlight posted:

What if the black gunk they have on them is burnt motor oil?
That's how I see it, I mean the lodge portals look like a puddle of the stuff.

Also, in the news interviews after the Ike the Spike takedown last week, the little girl said "He smelled funny", perhaps the scorched oil smell.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

2017 america doesn't deserve a show this good.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I somehow missed Laura in the Golden Orb.

Thought the episode was excellent and I'm glad we got more episode 1,2 and 3 weirdness.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It does deserve a show where a noxious radio show renders listeners inert while monsters prey on a town though.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

A lot of people are suggesting that last night's episode details the bomb opening a rift to the Lodge, but I don't think that's right. Unless there's some time-fuckery going on, I'm guessing it's Bob's origin story more specifically. We know from the original series that the Black and White Lodge are part of the tribal legends of Hawk's people. That being so, it seems safe to say that the story had to have been old enough to predate 1945.

This was my read as well. You could even take BOB's name as taking after his "father" Robert Oppenheimer this way. I kind of like how the unparalleled, destructive sin that is the atomic bomb can be tied into the weird Americana of the show. You have supernatural forces of evil with names like Mike and Bob who take unusual interest in small, seemingly wholesome populations because the idea and origin of modern America is all bound up in the greatest violence the world has ever known.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
So the woodsman (woodsmen?) appear to be like, lesser lodge beings? almost like familiars to BOB, hence coming to his aid when Ray shot him and helping to put everyone to sleep when bugbob needed a new mouth-home. i'm thinking that's why the one woodsman was in jail with matthew lillard, booper had that woodsman keeping an eye on things or helping to generate a little more suffering.

also something about the "gotta light?" weird attempt at acting human reminded me of the "you imitate human nature perfectly" comment booper made early on to lillard's wife. maybe he wasn't really talking to her, maybe it was to a woodsman that was lurking inside her somehow, and that weird effect when she was shot was the woodsman departing?

man this episode was the tits, just the coolest

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Mover posted:

This was my read as well. You could even take BOB's name as taking after his "father" Robert Oppenheimer this way. I kind of like how the unparalleled, destructive sin that is the atomic bomb can be tied into the weird Americana of the show. You have supernatural forces of evil with names like Mike and Bob who take unusual interest in small, seemingly wholesome populations because the idea and origin of modern America is all bound up in the greatest violence the world has ever known.

"Robertson... Son of Robert." - Cooper*

*If I'm remembering the line right, anyhow

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Gatekeeper posted:

So the woodsman (woodsmen?) appear to be like, lesser lodge beings?

I read the congregating around the convenience store during the A-bomb to mean something along the lines of them being like dust particles accumulating around moments of complete and total evil.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Is that a lightning storm to the right of Trinity's mushroom cloud?

I can't seem to find any sign of it from a quick search of actual photos of the blast

Lanz
May 30, 2013
also some quick research (just wikipedia though), regarding the chances of anyone present at the blast:

quote:

The only structures originally in the vicinity were the McDonald Ranch House and its ancillary buildings, which scientists used as a laboratory for testing bomb components. A base camp was constructed, and there were 425 people present on the weekend of the test.

So guessing my earlier guess about the Woodsmen being drifters who may have been squatting nearby is doubtful

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lanz posted:

I can't seem to find any sign of it from a quick search of actual photos of the blast

http://gizmodo.com/5856121/what-are-those-strange-thin-smoke-columns-around-nuclear-bomb-tests

http://www.atomcentral.com/atomic-smoke-trails.aspx

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lanz posted:

those are smoke rockets, launched right before the blast so the scientists could study the shockwave.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The nuclear bomb scene is seriously one of the coolest things I've ever seen a show do.

I also want to see the behind the scenes of them editing the convenience store scene.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 27, 2017

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Well, I can't make heads or tails out of this clusterfuck (loved it regardless), but one theme I'm consistently interested in is how Lynch keeps tying things to forms of energy, whether that's all the archaic electrical devices in what we think is the 'white lodge' in the endless sea, the buzz of wires and the boy's soul departing after the hit-and-run, the atomic blast, etc.

My guess is that it's an 'everything is one' approach - We often like to imagine a separation between the spiritual / technological, and Lynch seems to enjoy breaking down that barrier entirely, and tying the physical phenomena of different forms of energy directly to the spiritual. When the barrier between technological/scientific advancement and the spiritual/mystical is dissolved, it's easy to see how something like an atomic blast would have profound repercussions across the world.

Perhaps the mere advent of nuclear weaponry, and the resultant fear of it, could explain the "mother's" profusion of Garmonbozia.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

those are smoke rockets, launched right before the blast so the scientists could study the shockwave.

Thanks guys! :O

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I like the idea that acts of evil open gateways to the lodge. Other acts may have opened it in the past.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

McKilligan posted:

Well, I can't make heads or tails out of this clusterfuck (loved it regardless), but one theme I'm consistently interested in is how Lynch keeps tying things to forms of energy, whether that's all the archaic electrical devices in what we think is the 'white lodge' in the endless sea, the buzz of wires and the boy's soul departing after the hit-and-run, the atomic blast, etc.

My guess is that it's an 'everything is one' approach - We often like to imagine a separation between the spiritual / technological, and Lynch seems to enjoy breaking down that barrier entirely, and tying the physical phenomena of different forms of energy directly to the spiritual. When the barrier between technological/scientific advancement and the spiritual/mystical is dissolved, it's easy to see how something like an atomic blast would have profound repercussions across the world.

Perhaps the mere advent of nuclear weaponry, and the resultant fear of it, could explain the "mother's" profusion of Garmonbozia.

Yeah, I can definitely see that as the case given that he seems to think the Unified Field Theory somehow ties into some interpretation of a unified consciousness of life with his own spiritual inclinations.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
Also maybe something of note: MIKE notes that, when Cooper asks if "BOB is near us now" in season 6, MIKE looks around and tells him "for nearly 40 years."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzimmrDtTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Gatekeeper posted:

So the woodsman (woodsmen?) appear to be like, lesser lodge beings?

They seem equivalent to the owls of Twin Peaks, but the owls operate around Glastonbury Grove and these guys come from a different area where the door to the lodge(s) opened.