Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

empty whippet box posted:

Does Mitch have actual views about things that he cares about? I've always seen him as an empty suit shell representing the rich's need for tax cuts.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does that 6 month lock out include not being able to receive Medicaid? I could see that as a pretty horrific consequence

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Does that 6 month lock out include not being able to receive Medicaid? I could see that as a pretty horrific consequence
yes

basically if you don't pay your tithe to insurance companies (because that's all it is under the ahca) you're hosed

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Boon posted:

Jaxyon, have you read Paul Starr's The Social Transformation of American Medicine by chance? You might be interested in it

Nah but I'll check it out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As I believe I said in another thread, the mandate/lockout, lifetime caps, and restrictions on pre-existing conditions make perfect sense if you consider healthcare as a product, and health insurance as analogous to any other sort of insurance.

That should be enough to demonstrate to any sane person why healthcare should not be treated as a product, but rather a fundamental human right. But apparently not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The thing is if you are on Medicaid then you get a job the income from that job disqualifies you from Medicaid because of income limits, but most insurances don't kick in for 90 days. So uh what happens then. Usually you have a waiting period of 30 to 90 days before being able to get into the insurance that the job offers like a probationary period. This is one of the barriers that exist that keep people on Medicaid because they can't afford to lose health insurance.

So

1. Be on Medicaid
2. Get a Job
3. Lose medicaid because your income changes
4. You have to wait in the probationary period for more than 60 days
5. You can't get insurance now for 6 months.

:stare:

That doesn't seem right

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

The thing is if you are on Medicaid then you get a job the income from that job disqualifies you from Medicaid because of income limits, but most insurances don't kick in for 90 days. So uh what happens then. Usually you have a waiting period of 30 to 90 days before being able to get into the insurance that the job offers like a probationary period. This is one of the barriers that exist that keep people on Medicaid because they can't afford to lose health insurance.

i believe the 6 month lockout doesn't apply to employer insurance, which has had pre-existing condition protection since the clinton admin iirc

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

evilweasel posted:

i believe the 6 month lockout doesn't apply to employer insurance, which has had pre-existing condition protection since the clinton admin iirc

What do you mean? Cause I remember prior to ACA that was the situation I was in when trying to get a job and get health insurance. I just couldn't tough it out the 90 days at my job.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

The real easy win for the GOP would to just let people buy into medicare with a flat percentage of their pre-tax payroll income.

Yes, if the GOP was a different party that hadn't spent the last decade screaming about how the ACA is evil socialized medicine, and how the government needs to just let the free market decide everything, that might be a reasonable plan.

Buy-In Medicare was part of the ACA originally and passed the House, but got killed in the Senate to secure Joe Lieberman's vote to end the republican filibuster

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

What do you mean? Cause I remember prior to ACA that was the situation I was in when trying to get a job and get health insurance. I just couldn't tough it out the 90 days at my job.

Oh I see what you mean - that if you go without insurance for 90 days waiting to get health insurance at your job, then you can't quit and go on the individual market for a year. Yeah, that is probably true. I thought you meant you'd wait 90 days, then have to wait 6 months for the employer insurance.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul has said some pretty strong stuff suggesting he's not going to be easy to reach:

quote:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) didn’t mince words about the Senate GOP’s Obamacare repeal bill, which is slated for a vote later this week.

“It’s a terrible bill,” he told reporters Monday evening at the Capitol.

Paul under questioning then went further, saying he would not vote for the bill itself or on the procedural motion to proceed, threatening to kill the bill before its gets a floor vote. Due to Republicans’ narrow majority in the Senate, the GOP can only lose two votes.

Paul’s remarks came shortly after a CBO report showed the Senate bill would drive up out-of-pockets costs for consumers even as it knocked 22 million off coverage by 2026.

Paul, who has been loudly skeptical of the GOP’s effort to repeal Obamacare, argued that it doesn’t go far enough. “Republicans were elected to repeal Obamacare, not to keep Obamacare,” he said.

Paul insisted that Republicans will be better off politically in next year’s midterm elections if they pass no bill at all rather than pass one that doesn’t completely repeal Obamacare and leaves the GOP owning a “broken” health care system.

“We’re not doing anything to fix the problem,” he said. “And I think there’s actually more blame to be attached to not doing a real thorough fixing than there is to doing nothing.”

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

evilweasel posted:

Paul has said some pretty strong stuff suggesting he's not going to be easy to reach:

At least he seems to be a principled idiot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

evilweasel posted:

Oh I see what you mean - that if you go without insurance for 90 days waiting to get health insurance at your job, then you can't quit and go on the individual market for a year. Yeah, that is probably true. I thought you meant you'd wait 90 days, then have to wait 6 months for the employer insurance.

Yeah it basically just locks you to your job. I mean I guess you could use COBRA which is horrifically expensive, but if you lost your job would that 60 to 90 days you didn't have it prevent you from going on Medicaid.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

i dunno, none of that seems principled, it seems much more like "i would rather keep running against obamacare than have people running against me for passing trumpcare"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

There Bias Two posted:

If he's so worried about consumer premium's going up, what's his loving solution to that problem?

Cause a clean repeal of ACA doesn't really seem like it'll work out in that regard.

E:

evilweasel posted:

i dunno, none of that seems principled, it seems much more like "i would rather keep running against obamacare than have people running against me for passing trumpcare"

yeah that. the tea party true believers subsist on never actually passing anything meaningful. Them doing something means The Government Is Doing Something which defeats the whole purpose of the Tea Party.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

There Bias Two posted:

I fervently hope that remains the case.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pander posted:

If he's so worried about consumer premium's going up, what's his loving solution to that problem?

Cause a clean repeal of ACA doesn't really seem like it'll work out in that regard.

sure it will, then insurance will be very very cheap since the only people who can buy it are young and healthy

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
If it's seriously looking like this thing won't get a yea on a motion to proceed, Democrats should vote to proceed.

Force them to vote down their own bill, then crucify every single senator who votes for it with attack ads for the entirety of 2018.

I'm sure McConnell has some procedural move he can make to still avoid the vote following the motion to proceed, but I can dream.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

evilweasel posted:

sure it will, then insurance will be very very cheap since the only people who can buy it are young and healthy

oh yeah, forgot about that wrinkle because I made the non-monstrous assumption that pre-existing conditions would never be removed.

Ha ha how stupid and non-monstrous of me :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

twice burned ice posted:

If it's seriously looking like this thing won't get a yea on a motion to proceed, Democrats should vote to proceed.

Force them to vote down their own bill, then crucify every single senator who votes for it with attack ads for the entirety of 2018.

I'm sure McConnell has some procedural move he can make to still avoid the vote following the motion to proceed, but I can dream.

Yes, let's tempt fate by pushing the Republican party all-in on a bad option.

That's never backfired.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

twice burned ice posted:

https://twitter.com/messina2012/status/727861322075922433

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Pander posted:

Yes, let's tempt fate by pushing the Republican party all-in on a bad option.

That's never backfired.

This is a fair point. But it still needs to pass the House and there's no way this thing can survive another round of voting with the CBO score hanging around its neck.

Remember that the House deliberately voted on their bill prior to any CBO scoring for exactly that reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
As it is people with pre-existing conditions are already really screwed anyway. It's pretty impossible to have a serious medical condition and get a job that doesn't leave you completely totally loving poor.

I think I have to make minimum 45K a year to be above the poverty line. Even with the best insurance paying 80% of prescription costs I still have to have a extra 1000 dollars a month set aside for just medication.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

twice burned ice posted:

gently caress NO they shouldn't.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

twice burned ice posted:

This is a fair point. But it still needs to pass the House and there's no way this thing can survive another round of voting with the CBO score hanging around its neck.

Remember that the House deliberately voted on their bill prior to any CBO scoring for exactly that reason.
jesus gently caress enough with the bold proclamations of invincibility.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

twice burned ice posted:

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. You should be proud.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pander posted:

E:

yeah that. the tea party true believers subsist on never actually passing anything meaningful. Them doing something means The Government Is Doing Something which defeats the whole purpose of the Tea Party.

He's a tea party wackjob and libertarian. He believes government exists to build a defensive military and that's it. Nothing else.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Dems should do absolutely loving nothing to distract from the Republicans self owning. Good god.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

There Bias Two posted:

Why is being inflexible the same as being principled to Americans?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

He's a tea party wackjob and libertarian. He believes government exists to build a defensive military and that's it. Nothing else.

If it's not supposed to do anything, then why does he care if premiums go up or not? This bill Does Less and has fewer regulations than the ACA, so the only reason he's chiming in about the premiums seems to be crocodile tears to find a reason to not actually do anything that might tie him to it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

Why is being inflexible the same as being principled to Americans?

principles aren't always good things.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pander posted:

If it's not supposed to do anything, then why does he care if premiums go up or not? This bill Does Less and has fewer regulations than the ACA, so the only reason he's chiming in about the premiums seems to be crocodile tears to find a reason to not actually do anything that might tie him to it.

Hmm yeah he is a Paul after all.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pander posted:

jesus gently caress enough with the bold proclamations of invincibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4W4TBLqpVU

Seriously if that poo poo is dead let it be dead, no need to try and refight a won battle for a more complete victory.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/879461448208064512

MAVERICK!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I honestly believe Heller and Collins are hard No's. I don't believe that of Paul.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

He's not entirely wrong

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Senator John McCaine very concerned for man drowning in front of him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lisa Murkowski is very quiet. I would have thought she was more likely to be a no on this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

God, John McCain, you terrible oval office. Did the Vietnamese permanently break him mentally as well as physically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

PT6A posted:

God, John McCain, you terrible oval office. Did the Vietnamese permanently break him mentally as well as physically?

What a lovely loving thing to say. Maybe you should wind down the hate and turn up the empathy for someone who was tortured. Perhaps you can parse out the hatred of policy and the hatred for someone who was captured and tortured while fulfilling his duty.

• Locked thread