Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

the spyder posted:

My new turbo got here Friday.

I've made a terrible awesome mistake.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

the spyder posted:

The turbo is as big as the rotary :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ahh, yes, a turbine engine with a rotary fuel pump

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

That 20B officially qualifies as that turbines APU.

You've officially crossed the line of bolting a turbo to an engine. loving Awesome! Is it an EFR? 9180?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'll post a update later in my thread. It's a S472SXE, which is between the EFR9180 and S480/488. It has the best compressor map I've seen for this application and would easily make 900HP on a 13B-REW.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Good lord that turbo :catstare:

Today/this weekend I removed the knocky engine from my Forester and replaced it with a new-to-me one that I put some fresh headgaskets and such on. The old engine was the 2nd one to motivate this car's shambling corpse, and it gave everything it could for the cause. 18 months ago while attacking some switchbacks it let some of the knocks out, at which point I elected to stop doing any maintenance to it whatsoever (I once went 6 months without even opening the hood), just to see how long it would last.

It won.

32,478 knocking miles of ZERO oil changes, zero kindness, and it just kept coming back for more. In the last month or so it's started to sound a little more horrible than usual though, so I decided it was finally time. RIP Lil Knocky, you were toughest EJ251 ever made.

Now for some lovely action shots. I'd have more but my phone suffered an rapid deceleration event part-way through the project.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 27, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fixed the last remaining issues from when a buddy spun his rx-8 into a curb 3 days into ownership. New wheel and wheel bearing on the rear passenger corner sorted most issues, but a slight grinding sound inside the cabin from that corner and an odd sound like a warped rotor being turned on the lathe at work audible from outside the vehicle persisted. During the teardown last night, buddy found a missing clip for the pads on the side that had the bearing and wheel replaced, se we ordered new clips to resume today. Chucked new pads and rotors at it today, only to find out the noise was stil there, but had somehow changed pitch. Yanked the wheels back off, went full 350lb gorilla on the dust shield whick seems to have fixed it.

However during this, we had to play musical cars since he had 3 cars in his driveway that had to be moved any time someone wanted to leave. Threw him my keys to move my 6 and it decided this was time to throw its first CEL in 11 months of my ownership. Quick scan show the barometric pressure sensor is the culprit. New one is $90+, so I yanked it off, cleaned some schmoo out with a narrow allen key and chucked it back on. Poof, no more CEL. Buddy is warned to stop breaking mazdas faster than I can fix them. May still replace that sensor at a later date, though I'm not sure what exactly its reading while hooked up to the egr valve.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Since I had to take the seat out of the E36 the other day to do the brake switch, the airbag light was on. I ordered an SRS reset tool on Amazon for $27 and in ten seconds I shut that bitch off today. As a bonus the tool came with an OBD to BMW adapter so I can use my regular scanner. Now I have an E36 with no fault codes!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

the spyder posted:

holy gently caress.

We need to design you a << DO NOT FOLLOW. WATCH FOR FLYING APEX SEALS. >> sticker.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

holy gently caress.

We need to design you a << DO NOT FOLLOW. WATCH FOR FLYING APEX SEALS. >> sticker.

PLEASE SECURE ALL VALUABLES AND LOOSE CLOTHING BEFORE STANDING IN FRONT OF RUNNING VEHICLE.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

PLEASE SECURE ALL VALUABLES AND LOOSE CLOTHING BEFORE STANDING IN FRONT OF RUNNING VEHICLE.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Edit: The gently caress, man?

Just one of these guys:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Edit: The gently caress, man?

Just one of these guys:

Great minds.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Since I had to take the seat out of the E36 the other day to do the brake switch, the airbag light was on. I ordered an SRS reset tool on Amazon for $27 and in ten seconds I shut that bitch off today. As a bonus the tool came with an OBD to BMW adapter so I can use my regular scanner. Now I have an E36 with no fault codes!

Cherish the moment.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AC works better now, weird how that works :v:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Removed a nail that somehow entered my tire sideways and didn't bend..

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

I put driving lights on my Alltrack. I should be able to put them to use this weekend :iia:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Installed the splitter braces last night

bumper cover isn't the greatest condition but I can never keep it pristine. So I don't know, because racecar? Replacing it is right under wheel bearings and everything else

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
After dinner tonight I dismantled the front end of my '89 740 wagon to remove the strut assemblies. After getting both driver & passenger sides out, I removed the strut mounts, springs, strut cartridges, and cleaned up the strut-tubes in preparation for welding in a 2.5" spacer. In the back im going to try Vanagon syncro shocks.

If you squint real hard it will look something like this;

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I too have been loving with a front-end. I just finished up the Silverado. New everything flexy but lower control arm bushing, a wheel bearing and new shocks. Now it rides way nicer than it looks. Hopefully I can get it aligned in the morning.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I installed a Cusco strut tower bar on my WRX for the heck of it.

I bought the basic tower bar used and it didn't come with a couple of brackets needed to move the brake booster hard-line out of the way so I had to rig it up with generic hardware store parts. I also bought an integrated brake cylinder stopper bracket for the drivers side.

Also visible is PO's aquarium hose boost gauge line and cheapo grounding kit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

Oh, good. I get to use this again:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm expecting the rotor (or pieces) to come out with the apex seals with a turbo this large.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I feel like I've been down this road before

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

I'm expecting the rotor (or pieces) to come out with the apex seals with a turbo this large.

Nah, the rotors a pretty beefy chunks of cast iron. They'll get beat up, but likely stay together. Hopefully.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I'm in need of hub-centric spacers for the front because the 235/75/15 tires are rubbing on the strut tower (after the 2.5" spacer was welded in). Hoping to get a 5x108 20mm spacer over-nighted for wednesday delivery, because 3 friends, myself & the dog are gonna pile in this thing and zoom up north for 3 nights of camping.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Wally Joyner posted:

I'm in need of hub-centric spacers for the front because the 235/75/15 tires are rubbing on the strut tower (after the 2.5" spacer was welded in). Hoping to get a 5x108 20mm spacer over-nighted for wednesday delivery, because 3 friends, myself & the dog are gonna pile in this thing and zoom up north for 3 nights of camping.

nice rack!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got new boots today!

1624 dollarydoos :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can almost hear the noise they are making on asphalt

WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

actually the high end muddies like the BFG, Toyos and Mickey Thompsons arent bad. loving Cooper STT pro's howl like a turboprop and Federal Couragia MT's should come with ear plugs.

You dont actually hear the tyre noise over the wind noise from the roof racks on the 100 because toyota did such a GOOD job soundproofing the thing!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Ferremit posted:

actually the high end muddies like the BFG, Toyos and Mickey Thompsons arent bad. loving Cooper STT pro's howl like a turboprop and Federal Couragia MT's should come with ear plugs.

You dont actually hear the tyre noise over the wind noise from the roof racks on the 100 because toyota did such a GOOD job soundproofing the thing!

I can always tell a car that has mud tires even with the windows up though. I have Potenza RE003's on my car and while I love the grip levels I'm not so in love with the tire noise they generate. When you hit Bathurst it's a moment of respite as you hit proper tarmac instead of the chip sealed stuff they use on the rural highways through NSW. The noise doesn't die down again until you hit the backside of the mountains.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

oh yeah the howl of muddies is instantly pickable.

Its worth the handling and noise problems when you get them offroad tho. Nothing beats them in the outback.

We did a trip up to the flinders a while ago with my All Terrains and no roof rack on. Felt wierd to be driving along and all you can hear is the throb of the diesel and the whistle of the turbo on hills with no tyre howl or wind noise off the roof rack!

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 3, 2017

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Ferremit posted:

oh yeah the howl of muddies is instantly pickable.

Its worth the handling and noise problems when you get them offroad tho. Nothing beats them in the outback.

I think half the cars I see with them on though don't see off road or the outback outside of a dirt carpark. Do they disintegrate quicker if you use them on tarmac exclusively?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

oh hell yeah, the big lugs heat up way more and wear really fast if you use em mostly on tar. I'll get 50-60K kms out of a set of muddies with about 60/40 tar/dirt use but if im running my all terrains i'll get close to 90k kms out of the same usage.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Restored my Golf's ride height to normal. I had put 2" spacers in the form of closed-threaded black pipe nipples in the front struts. It's a good thing I took em out, too, cuz in just 4 months they rusted to poo poo which seems like a pretty damned obvious outcome in hindsight.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had some extra black trim and bumper paint laying around and some semi-crummy kidney grilles.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Finally got the upgraded clock/trip computer installed in the Country Squire.

Replaced this:

With this:

The original base clock just had a single line for time, a simple timer, as well as a date function that just read as "7 04" but this one is a lot more in depth, and it also gives me a ton of features that are all read from the ECU:

It has an HH:MM:SS timer, average speed, gallons used, a trip odometer, as well as instant and average fuel economy. All of those numbers pictured are all right after I reset it, so it's a little skewed towards me driving around the neighborhood (except gallons used). It all seems pretty accurate, at least the distance traveled matches up with my odometer, but I'm going to see if my fuel usage matches up with the fuel economy numbers next fill-up. It's supposed to be getting the usage from the fuel injector system, so I can't imagine it's that innacurate. It was mostly plug and play, but I'll put more details about what I did to get this working into the panther thread!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Honestly, I'm shocked at how quiet the Grabber AT2s on the Town Car were. Dead silent on the highway, even with the windows rolled down.

I know they're not a "real" mud tire but I expected some straight-up OEM 80s SUV tire howl.

Note that I own a Subaru and so my understanding of road noise is limited.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
Picked it up from the autobody shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dude Sweet posted:

Picked it up from the autobody shop.

Gorgeous :swoon: