Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dutchy posted:

Not even the next James Posey!

Hey, James Posey put up 10 winshares in one season. If Wiggins does that I'll be surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I dunno if this got posted yesterday but I'm going to post it again

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/879145932264054784

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/ChicagoSports/status/878410846946316288

Pritchard is wanting to put together his own Alpha Squad.

Remember what the Bulls traded for Cam Payne? And what they traded for Kris Dunn? And that Jerian Grant was actually the best under-25 point guard they acquired via trade in the past year?

Well, the Bulls front office just isn't sure whether the team should be committing significant PG minutes to Rajon Rondo next year. It's impossible to say really

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

They've had the weirdest hate-boner for him, but without looking at the rest of the data I have no idea if that way is a good way to chart out defense. The fact that he defends the 10th most shots in the league seems like a good thing, and the high FG% has probably more to do with him trying to cover for a bad team defense vs him helping shots go in or whatever.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

quote:

[Wiggins] defended the 10th most shots in the league, by far the most by a below-average defender. Most teams do their best to hide their weak defenders, but opponents seek Wiggins out like no other defender in the league.

there are other explanations for the given data besides opposing teams uniquely targeting Wiggins:

quote:

2016-17 NBA Leaders

Minutes Played
1. Andrew Wiggins • MIN 3048
2. Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN 3030
3. James Harden • HOU 2947
4. Giannis Antetokounmpo • MIL 2845
5. John Wall • WAS 2836

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
538 sucks balls, no disrespect to people who suck balls

The problem with their number is in the video they posted. He's awful by that metric because he's totally out of position in every clip but is athletic enough to get back for a bad contest. He doesn't defend well but his way of bad defense shows up in that stat in a way that say Steve Blake's doesn't

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I bet they've spent atleast 100 man hours on figuring out a way to abbreviate a new stat into w.i.g.g.i.n.s.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm gonna make a GDT for the NBA awards

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tae posted:

Allan Crabbe got paid how much?

(not 20 million, but Danny Green was the exception and was taking a discount for the Spurs)

Allan Crabbe was an exception too. A very stupid and expensive exception.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cam Payne jerian grant and kriss dunn is quite a collection of point guards

I guess Michael. After Williams and rondo are still on the roster too.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hey, James Posey put up 10 winshares in one season. If Wiggins does that I'll be surprised

i didn't believe you and then i looked it up and now i'm choosing not to believe you because i don't want to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crabbe will be 20 million after he's traded lol.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Carlosologist posted:

never forget that young Thibs was a looker

I can imagine him on a date and telling said woman about the intricacies of post defense

What's the story about Thibs canceling his wedding because he realized he loved basketball more than he loved his would-be wife?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
God, everytime I look at the Bulls "rebuilding," it gets worse. They couldn't pick the way better prospect in Dennis Smith because they already traded half the team for three lovely point guards

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Andrew Wiggins once hosed Nate Silver's husband spreadsheet

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Nate Silver is a nasty pollpig that gets off on being wrong

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

They've had the weirdest hate-boner for him, but without looking at the rest of the data I have no idea if that way is a good way to chart out defense. The fact that he defends the 10th most shots in the league seems like a good thing, and the high FG% has probably more to do with him trying to cover for a bad team defense vs him helping shots go in or whatever.

Yeah, I definitely question their methodology on that one. They're calculating it by [value added or subtracted vs the average]*[number of shots defended], as you can see by how the graph spreads out to the right, so the best and worst are gonna be the ones who play the most minutes/defend the most shots. It seems completely opposite to the per-possession line of thinking that's usually advanced from stats people.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I couldn't come up with anything pithy for a thread title, but here's tonight's GDT:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825001

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Nate Silver is a nasty pollpig that gets off on being wrong

He's gotten way worse since 2008. I enjoyed his book about people making predictions, but he's turned into another milquetoast pundit that likes to sit in his chair and make sweeping generalizations... the sort of pundit he wrote a book taking down.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I bet they've spent atleast 100 man hours on figuring out a way to abbreviate a new stat into w.i.g.g.i.n.s.

The new 538 composite metric is called P.E.N.U.S.
Publishing Essays iN Unuseful Statistics

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dutchy posted:

i didn't believe you and then i looked it up and now i'm choosing not to believe you because i don't want to.

I can respect that

https://twitter.com/NotoriousOHM/status/879496889388867584/photo/1 weird

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/cvivlamoreajc/status/879497855274295297

drat I don't know why I thought that he was a UFA.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lmao the Lavar Ball in WWE rumor came true

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The thing is his actual predictions are for the most part still fine politics wise.

He was the only one who had the election close, while also posting about Trumps eventual path.

His punditry is trash tho

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
BBB has their own titantron.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dexo posted:

The thing is his actual predictions are for the most part still fine politics wise.

He was the only one who had the election close, while also posting about Trumps eventual path.

Some of his predictions were terrible, with embarrassingly bad assumptions. He just made up some stuff for different "stages" and went "well they probably all have around a 50/50 chance." It was garbage.

edit: in general I think the quality went downhill when 538 went from a blog ran by a few people putting out a small amount of content to a Full Website that needs to churn out stuff daily.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

https://www.cafe.com/americas-huge-winner-carl-diggler-now-years-election-forecasting-king/ Come back to reality with the ghost ballers and I

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I would compare him to Wiggins, in that they both struggle under an unrealistically high workload.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The first word that popped in my head was fierce

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Somebody wake John Wall up and drag him back into the present from 2013, thank you for telling me that the stupid NBA awards were on because I was distracted by the stupid big 3

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lavar just said "beat that n****'s rear end" on live TV

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Intruder posted:

Lavar just said "beat that n****'s rear end" on live TV

LaVar Ball is.... Good?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Malcom Brogdon is the Rookie of our Year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My mistake it was LaMelo

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/879507443180593152

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Malcom Brogdon is the Rookie of our Year

Garbage

He was never rookie of the month

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/879509065839280128

nah

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Garbage

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

So lame they changed the qualifying to during the NBA season.

edit:

Yogi Ferrell won rookie of the month more than the ROTY.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Has Malcolm ever tweeted anything as beautiful as this? I don't think so.

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/879503325867245568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Garbage

It is rookie of the year and not most valuable rookie per possession, or rookie of 37.8% of the year

• Locked thread