Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilza posted:

I do think he'll be a good cheap pick-up for some team, a "reclamation" type player. The only question is whether or not the team he signs with will actually use him efficiently. Say something like sheltered middle 6 minutes and on one of the PP units. I hope they do since I still like Yakupov and want him to succeed.
Signing a guy who has never really produced at the NHL level as a reclamation project is basically guaranteeing he won't get the type of minutes he needs to succeed.

I really do think he needs to go over the Europe and play for a few years getting the quality minutes he needs to really develop his game.

This is exactly what Dadonov did and if he comes over to NA, it will be as a top 6 player. That wasn't ever going to happen if he stuck it out in NA, he just wasn't going to get the opportunities to develop and showcase his game over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/OvertimeScottB/status/879490484762267648

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Detroit's stupid if they don't think about Yak. Their top 6 is abysmal and their cupboard is bare.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i am the bird posted:

Detroit's stupid if they don't think about Yak. Their top 6 is abysmal and their cupboard is bare.

They went well past "if" years ago

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/879496549402914816

Gotta stockpile those 2020 2nds.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyera made qualifying offers to Cole Bardreau, Scott Laughton, Taylor Leier, Alex Lyon, Roman Lyubimov, Anthony Stolarz and Mike Vecchione.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How many offer sheets?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

How many offer sheets?

well they were qualifying offers,and likely came on a sheet of paper... soooo... :v:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

better than giving up a ton of money for Karl Alzner.

Unless we're going to do that anyway.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

More like Chris Osbad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

worth it IMO

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I could see him with the Devils, but I suppose I'm not really sure there's room. As of now, the Devils have these forwards signed (or RFA's who they will sign) and likely to play (obviously they're going to make additions):

Hall
Henrique
Zajac
Palmieri
Cammalleri
Smith-Pelley
Zacha
Noesen
Wood

I would imagine Hischier is expected to make the team out of camp and will get a healthy role with the team immediately. Then there's guys like McLeod, Bastian, Blandisi, Lappin, Pietela, etc. who will get strong looks in camp to play every day. So it will probably be something like this:

Hall-Hischier-Henrique
Palmieri-Zajac-Cammalleri
Wood-Zacha-UFA/McLeod/young dude
SmithPelley-UFA-Noesen

Maybe you try Yakupov with Palms/Zajac on the second line and see if he sticks? The problem is that he's trash defensively so he's either making your top six or getting healthy scratched.

Is Nico really expected to make the team this year?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Chad Sexington posted:

The Devils are really bad.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

I'd expect the first overall to start in the nhl unless it was a goalie

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Some reporter in Chicago linked Alzner to the Leafs and Leafs twitter lost its mind.

The Leafs have 6 guys fighting for LD spots already and their top 4 is already spoken for on that side. I think this is just this year's version of the Kris Russell rumours from last season and I'm gonna call it traffic-generating nonsense.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

It's nothing to sneeze at but basically the pitiful return I expected. Teams were making trades to balance their roster so they basically knew who they would lose, and vegas is stuck holding the bag at the end after all those roster moves, so the option is to trade for a guy that's like fifth? best on some bad teams or sign a free agent or stand pat

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

They have no offense and he's a first overall pick. I'd say it's certain barring a terrible camp.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

That's a pretty good deal for Dallas. Why the 2020 2nds? Is it supposed to be a really strong draft class or something?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

That's a pretty good deal for Dallas. Why the 2020 2nds? Is it supposed to be a really strong draft class or something?

There is absolutely no way to tell if it is or not. The kids that are going to be drafted that year haven't even begun their junior careers yet.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Connolly re-signed in WSH for 2 years $1.5 AAV. Can't wait for Trotz to bench him in favor of a lovely 7th D again.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I suppose whoever gets Alzner will end up overpaying, but he's not that bad of a dman, is he?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

McGuire won't shut up about how good the 2019 and 2020 draft classes are supposed to be.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

McGuire won't shut up about how good the 2019 and 2020 draft classes are supposed to be.

Alexis Lafreniere put up good numbers as a 14 year old in Quebec AAA but there is absolutely no way to know anything about the depth or quality at the top. Three years old is way too early to make even vague pronouncements, let alone anything definitive. There's not even an exceptional player in the 2020 draft.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

i am the bird posted:

He's way too young and inexpensive

Jamwad Hilder posted:

More like Chris Osbad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you mess with oz you can follow the yellow brick road straight to hell

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Suspicious posted:

I suppose whoever gets Alzner will end up overpaying, but he's not that bad of a dman, is he?

Alzner will rarely make a big mistake but he is a huge drain on offense because he never makes any plays in the offensive or neutral zones. His move is to skate to where the red line meets the boards and to dump and change.

Also he wrecked his groin in 2016 and got significantly slower. He's at best a third pairing dude who can PK and if he's paid as such it would be fine. But he's going to get an insane deal because GMs are idiots.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

hifi posted:

I'd expect the first overall to start in the nhl unless it was a goalie

This type of attitude leads to RNH third line grinder and Yakupov king of the busts

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

This type of attitude leads to RNH third line grinder and Yakupov king of the busts

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 2011-12: 62 GP, 18-34-52, got a shoulder injury, robbed of the Calder
Nail Yakupov, 2012-13: 48 GP, 17-14-31, 5th in Calder voting

You could at least look at their first year stats, which are both respectable for rookies, before going "nah look at these 1st overall picks they both suck!!!".

Both Hischier and Patrick will be fine. There's no need for either of them to be in junior any longer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

This type of attitude leads to RNH third line grinder

Hi Kelly Hrudey!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kilza posted:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 2011-12: 62 GP, 18-34-52, got a shoulder injury, robbed of the Calder
Nail Yakupov, 2012-13: 48 GP, 17-14-31, 5th in Calder voting

You could at least look at their first year stats, which are both respectable for rookies, before going "nah look at these 1st overall picks they both suck!!!".

Both Hischier and Patrick will be fine. There's no need for either of them to be in junior any longer.
It's also been a pretty amazing run for #1 picks panning out in recent years, it's never going to work out where they all become stars. Meanwhile all the #1 picks who were held back have had disappointing careers since Sundin.

Also because of the lockout they both got additional development time, where RNH was over a P/G in the AHL and Yak was near it in the KHL. Those are guys who would've been brought up ASAP and if either had to an extra year in the CHL when they were doing well at the pro level I question how much they could have learned.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RNH would still be a top 6 pick if that draft was held again today. Gaudreau and Kucherov would be 1-2, Scheifele/Hamilton/RNH/Klefbom in some combination behind them.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

T-Bone posted:

Zubov is never going to get in eh

e: Girardi would be an upgrade for the Devils

no. The biggest crime in the HHoF

at least Osgood didn't get in

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Brooks reporting the Rangers and Smith are trying to get a deal done. Have to think if they re-sign Smith they're not really in on Shattenkirk. Lotta money to tie up in the defense for a long time with the decision whether to re-sign McDonagh coming due in the next few years.

Don't really know what they'd do about top RD though. McD-Smith is far far better than McD-Girardi but still playing Smith over his head.

McD-Smith
Skjei-D'Angelo
Staal-Bereglazov/Pionk

Is probably an improvement statistically but looks shaky with some guys possibly playing above their heads (maybe D'Angelo can be a 2nd pairing guy but might be asking a lot to jump him into that role right now) e: and of course it'll actually probably be Staal-Holden which is a terrible pairing but :suicide:

Also reportedly have reached out to Anders Nilsson

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/marc-andre-fleury-thank-you-pittsburgh/

:3: MAF :3:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

Have to think if they re-sign Smith they're not really in on Shattenkirk. Lotta money to tie up in the defense for a long time

you do realize this is the rangers right

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

That article got me. I've had a love/hate relationship with MAF on the ice for years now, but off the ice MAF is pretty unassailably awesome. I mean, he's in Vegas for what? 24 hours before he's already out there promoting youth hockey. One of the last thing things he did in Pittsburgh before he left was pay to build a playground. Given that Vegas isn't going to win dick in the next few years, he's a real stellar pickup for building a hockey community in the desert. I just hope he gets back to Pittsburgh after he stops playing, assuming that's what he wants to do. The organization really owes him for waiving his NMC and gracefully bowing out after carrying the Pens through two rounds towards a second consecutive cup.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

grack posted:

For this particular trade, I'd say Nill just knows he probably ain't gonna be around in 2020.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Suspicious posted:

The criticism of him is a little overdone because he was very clearly played in too prominent a role with the Caps all last season and his reputation seems to be lining up for some team to overpay. It's fair to say he's very one-dimensional and slow, but he played against the toughest QoC on the Caps last season. In a reduced role he could probably be pretty good because he's a very good decision-maker and he is actually good in his one dimension when he isn't up against speed, but in free-agency he's going to get more money than someone in that role should get.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

RNH would still be a top 6 pick if that draft was held again today. Gaudreau and Kucherov would be 1-2, Scheifele/Hamilton/RNH/Klefbom in some combination behind them.

There really is no argument for Gaudreau over Scheifele anymore

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

There really is no argument for Gaudreau over Scheifele anymore

Gaudreau has similar or better stats with less ice-time. The argument is 100% still there.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Schlesische posted:

Gaudreau has similar or better stats with less ice-time. The argument is 100% still there.

I don't see why anyone would take a 5'9 wing over a twoway 6'3 C that scores more. Scheifele outscored Gaudreau by 21 points last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Finally.

• Locked thread