Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Different crates. One is unlocked with points and gives boots. One is dropped from a plane and gives guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hm. at my sr the strategy of waiting near loot crates with a car and then running people over when they go to loot it works pretty well. I was inspired to do this by the guy who I thought I was racing to the crate, turns out he didn't see me and actually came onto my side of the crate to loot. that was fun.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://twitter.com/shima_s2/status/878506872893915136

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I got fed up with how godawful the game looked on my screen and tried out Reshade. I installed three of the shaders: AdaptiveSharpen, Clarity, and Vibrance.

AdaptiveSharpen on it loving owns. Jesus christ, just using this alone the game went from looking like playdough to nice solid objects. I actually toned it down quite a lot, but it still looks good.
Clarity adds a subtle hint of contrast, something this game is desperately lacking.
Vibrance adds a subtle bit of saturation, and also allows controlling specifically RGB. I increased the global saturation, and pushed the greens juuuust a little bit more.

Click the images for full size to really grasp how much it changes things.

http://imgur.com/a/hxAKL

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

lol what is going on there, I thought maybe off duty military until hello kitty walked by

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Too many people wearing pants. But I give it a 6/10 for effort.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

Have you actually found boots in a supply drop?

no i didn't post clearly or well i was first referring to the reward boxes in the first post I'll edit that

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Myrmidongs posted:

Click the images for full size to really grasp how much it changes things.

http://imgur.com/a/hxAKL

They look the same.

Also I never got why the gun on the left is the size of a person.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sokani posted:

They look the same.

Also I never got why the gun on the left is the size of a person.

guns are actually quite large when compared that way

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

TheFonz posted:

Join the discord.

I don't have enough buttons for push to talk :(

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I love this game but hate this game. I do awesome in close combat and house combat, but I don't know how to aim at long distances. I had a scar with an 8x and spotted someone on a hill probably about 300-400m away. I shot over his head trying to guess bullet drop and the shot landed above The target. He started moving and I fired probably 4 or 5 five more shots. He spotted me and ducked and killed me. I have no experience with this and don't have time to play all the time. It takes forever to even get rifles and scopes to even properly practice this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

cosmicjim posted:

I love this game but hate this game. I do awesome in close combat and house combat, but I don't know how to aim at long distances. I had a scar with an 8x and spotted someone on a hill probably about 300-400m away. I shot over his head trying to guess bullet drop and the shot landed above The target. He started moving and I fired probably 4 or 5 five more shots. He spotted me and ducked and killed me. I have no experience with this and don't have time to play all the time. It takes forever to even get rifles and scopes to even properly practice this.

Unfortunately, there's really nothing that can be done about this, as there's no way to practice in this game. Either you have played a ton of games like Arma/DayZ/Squad/Battlefield that have these mechanics and can do it or you can't. You're gonna get glib replies "just go to the school and kill people to git gud!" but realistically you're only going to have both a scope and a rifle accurate enough to bother using the scope every few games and won't get to engage people with it at very long range often. You pretty much just have to stick to areas where you know you are combat-effective and hope the circle allows for that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
School is only good for immediate poo poo show combat. Not that great of practice imo

cosmicjim posted:

You won't get anywhere with an 8x but a 4x is really just click on them.. get hits. Rifles should not take forever to get, and neither will scopes in higher loot areas.

The answer really is either: drop in high value areas and get better loot and get more practice at combat OR drop in low value random houses and don't get scopes right away and hope you get the drop on a guy after 20 minutes of running that has one. One seems time efficient, one doesn't

I get that containers are scary but what is better practice than learning how to drop fast to a gun, maybe a scope and then shooting unarmed people running around below you. You want to be a sheep forever or what? People are garbage at this game just go for it

J
Jun 10, 2001

cosmicjim posted:

Yeah I mean going by how other people talk this game does have some sort of skill based matchmaking but I'm wondering how many more times I'm going to have to get my rear end kicked before I stopped getting matched versus dudes who just spin and put a ton of bullets into me instantly from really far away.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I somehow managed to get stuck in a concrete wall (tried to jump over a part) and still got 2 kills on people when I couldn't move.

People worse than me exist. I didn't know that was possible.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Why is 4x better than 8x?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

J posted:

Yeah I mean going by how other people talk this game does have some sort of skill based matchmaking but I'm wondering how many more times I'm going to have to get my rear end kicked before I stopped getting matched versus dudes who just spin and put a ton of bullets into me instantly from really far away.

there's skill based matchmaking but you have a separate mmr for every mode on every server, so it lets people smurf really easily

like when we get tired of tryhard duos on asia, we kick it over to NA for a relaxing turkey shoot because we rarely play there

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

cosmicjim posted:

it's not on a rifle, but on an AR with recoil between shots using an 8x can be difficult if you're not used to it.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

If you're tapping at short range, the units of angular vertical displacement from an 8x drastically reduces your ability to shoot bullets per minute (SBPM) due to having to having to wait longer due to distortions caused from large amounts of vertical displacement (blur).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

J posted:

Why are you engaging people from far away without cover? People really only kill you if you put yourself in a bad position without cover. Why aren't you engaging them next to a tree or by terrain you can peak from without them seeing you? Why aren't you shooting slowly while doing that so they can't place the audio direction? From your posts it seems like you panic whenever you see someone and dump a clip at them out in the open without thinking about anything else which makes sense why you die all the time in 1v1s you initiate

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cosmicjim posted:

it aint

J
Jun 10, 2001

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Why are you engaging people from far away without cover? People really only kill you if you put yourself in a bad position without cover. Why aren't you engaging them next to a tree or by terrain you can peak from without them seeing you? Why aren't you shooting slowly while doing that so they can't place the audio direction? From your posts it seems like you panic whenever you see someone and dump a clip at them out in the open without thinking about anything else which makes sense why you die all the time in 1v1s you initiate

Who said anything about cover, panicing, or clip dumping? I'm talking about me seeing a guy, taking a few shots (not panic spraying), and he turns and hits me multiple times right away. Sometimes I die, sometimes I don't, but clearly these dudes are way better than me at the game and I'm just more interested in playing versus people who are also as poo poo/clueless as me. From my understanding the game does consider skill in the matchmaking but I sure as poo poo feel like everyone is way better than me which is why I asked to begin with.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Made top 10, 3 times in a row still no chicken dinner :(. Played a lot of rounds dropping at the school, after that changed to drop find a car and drive away to loot

benzine fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 27, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The two M4s had a 4x and a 8x. I think other than a helm/body 3 this is the most geared up I ever got.

My duo had 3 med kits and also two M4s with 4/8x.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I think - at least for me personally - unwillingness to shoot can really hurt your learning to play ranged fights. Like seriously, if you want to understand how your weapons shoot put a whole lot of rounds down range. Turn off full auto so you don't have to control full auto recoil and just slowly start upping your manual fire rate. That way you can start to see the impact point of your rounds and start calibrating.

Play squads so missing doesn't necessarily mean the end of your round, you can practice shooting a whole lot more.

I mean, ideally you'll start hitting your shots so you can hold fire unless a kill is certain, and be more economical when you do, but that's a goal, and you can't achieve that without shooting a poo poo ton. Even accurate shooters will still shoot a hell of a lot of rounds the moment they've committed to killing something.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

I somehow managed to get stuck in a concrete wall (tried to jump over a part) and still got 2 kills on people when I couldn't move.

People worse than me exist. I didn't know that was possible.

It's pretty easy to slay bodies if you engage people unexpectedly, which sorta sucks because camping is boring as all gently caress and being killed by a camper is even worse

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Just wanted to say lmao this drawing.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

J posted:

Who said anything about cover, panicing, or clip dumping? I'm talking about me seeing a guy, taking a few shots (not panic spraying), and he turns and hits me multiple times right away. Sometimes I die, sometimes I don't, but clearly these dudes are way better than me at the game and I'm just more interested in playing versus people who are also as poo poo/clueless as me. From my understanding the game does consider skill in the matchmaking but I sure as poo poo feel like everyone is way better than me which is why I asked to begin with.

Oh word, I guess there's more to the engagement then? Like you're using Q or E to lean out and not profile and you're ducking behind cover to heal and you're rotating around them to flank using cover and you're still dying?

Put the 4x or 8x on the guys chest when he isn't moving, you'll hit him every time at the ranges you're locating guys. Record it and see where you miss

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Just wanted to say lmao this drawing.

Don't forget to thank the creator, dmitrys_futa

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Oh word, I guess there's more to the engagement then? Like you're using Q or E to lean out and not profile and you're ducking behind cover to heal and you're rotating around them to flank using cover and you're still dying?

Put the 4x or 8x on the guys chest when he isn't moving, you'll hit him every time at the ranges you're locating guys. Record it and see where you miss

If you pay attention you can also see the bullet, so you can get an idea of watching the drop. It's not bad unless you're playing with a VSS which has horrid horrid bullet drop.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ILikeVoltron posted:

If you pay attention you can also see the bullet, so you can get an idea of watching the drop. It's not bad unless you're playing with a VSS which has horrid horrid bullet drop.

I dunno, VSS has a huge bullet drop but the bullets are very visible on travel and 9mm ammunition is plentiful. Even on moving targets I haven't found it too hard to calibrate, the real killer is you're just outgunned once they have a bead on you and are dodging/peeking, at which point an AR or a proper Sniper Rifle is the only way you'll score hits.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

I dunno, VSS has a huge bullet drop but the bullets are very visible on travel and 9mm ammunition is plentiful. Even on moving targets I haven't found it too hard to calibrate, the real killer is you're just outgunned once they have a bead on you and are dodging/peeking, at which point an AR or a proper Sniper Rifle is the only way you'll score hits.

The issue/trick with the VSS is that you're essentially shooting slower UMP bullets so when you catch someone unaware you want to unload on them before they have a chance to react. Calibrating is indeed easy if you wait for the bullets to land, but that's a really good way for them to escape and locate you, getting you into the bad situation you mention- you really want to know where the bullets are going to go before you fire so you can just dump an entire magazine into them ASAP.

lmao that link

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Got an awm and a 15x scope from a crate :getin:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

J posted:

It's very hard to hit laterally moving targets in PUBG. If you're shooting at guys running you need to be in good cover because their movement is unpredictable, and there will be a split-second where you will have to re-adjust your aim when they stop to shoot you back. On their end, they can see where you are without having to stop moving, stop and aim back at you as a stationary target.

his is something that you will only learn via practice but there's this moment that I coined "the dead second", which is where an opponent is shooting at me but stops for a split-second because I'VE stopped and took aim at him. I know if he stops shooting for that miniscule amount of time he's a dead man. As i'm playing better players this second has all but vanished, but at your level you should see it a lot.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

cosmicjim posted:

The bullet drop effect is pretty subtle. You're actually probably better off watching youtube to get a feel for how to aim the long shots in pubg - there are diagrams for the different scopes in this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5D7HGtqyVQ

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Elentor posted:

The two M4s had a 4x and a 8x. I think other than a helm/body 3 this is the most geared up I ever got.

My duo had 3 med kits and also two M4s with 4/8x.

You could have just swapped the optics based on what you needed, then you would have had the advantage of a foregrip while shooting the 8x + the ability to have a useful secondary.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
so will loot adjustment fix this problem

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Tonetta posted:

so will loot adjustment fix this problem

Sometimes you have the bat, sometimes you're the piņata.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Can goons confirm that team killing in matchmaking will result in actual negative consequences?

I've merc'd a few pubbies playing 3-mans, at least a few of them were bogarting loot and I regret nothing.

A buddy told me I'm going to get banned for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

My friends and I will too then because when one of our foursome dies early we regularly fight each other to get a new game going

• Locked thread