Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Krinkle posted:

When you say 90s point and click adventure game do you mean like... monkey island? I don't get what you mean.

That huge copper bell with the dials on it looks like something out of flash gordon in the dang thirties.

7th Guest, Sanitarium, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

regulargonzalez posted:

To me it looked most like Obsidian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_(video_game)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
those aren't rockets it's a loving devil skull

http://i.imgur.com/ddSoUwh.gifv

you can see the upper and lower jaws

Lanz
May 30, 2013
Watching the scene again, there's something masterful, despite feeling obvious in retrospect, of timing Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima kicking in right to the detonation of the bomb. Not just for what it may mean in the show, but even for what it means for actual human history in that moment and the destruction that is to come and the decades of fear of nuclear holocaust (not to mention the multiple close calls).

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Le Saboteur posted:

I also want to see the behind the scenes of them editing the convenience store scene.

That part so reminded me of scrubbing through footage at 10x, I'm convinced that David Lynch got the idea from editing dailies and shot this scene to achieve the same effect.

eSporks posted:

Nothing about the hobos suggests African or any racial connotation to me. It's not the same as blackface.

Yeah, I'm getting more of a demon or djinn kind of vibe...fire ash, brimstone. Not all black paint is Al Jolson.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

A lot of people are suggesting that last night's episode details the bomb opening a rift to the Lodge, but I don't think that's right. Unless there's some time-fuckery going on, I'm guessing it's Bob's origin story more specifically. We know from the original series that the Black and White Lodge are part of the tribal legends of Hawk's people. That being so, it seems safe to say that the story had to have been old enough to predate 1945.

Agreed, I got into an interesting conversation about this thought today. All the "garmonbozia" stuff from Fire Walk with Me is about how strong negative emotions manifest as some material or energy. BOB tortures and kills people to harvest the tangible product of their suffering. A nuclear explosion is pretty much that kind of "negative emotion" taken to its most destructive and apocalyptic extreme. Fear and hate on a global scale, murder and aggression at a population level, and so on. If murder of an individual is enough to sustain BOB, something like a nuclear blast could probably birth him.

So, yeah, the Black Lodge is probably some eternal structure, but specific entities within it are maybe the result of specific human action. All the egg and embryo imagery strongly implies this was how he was born.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Laura's face in the golden orb is goofy as hell but interesting because it puts the focus on Laura yet again. If she comes directly from the giant's head, that's pretty loving significant. Maybe this whole thing will end with her destroying Bob inside or outside of the black lodge. Who knows?? I've never in my life had less of an idea of how a story would end

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really loving want this to end with super saiyan Laura firing a kamehameha at BOB.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If Laura does somehow destroy BOB, I hope she does it via what she does best: primal screams.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

dude what the gently caress

nopants
May 29, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Laura's face in the golden orb is goofy as hell but interesting because it puts the focus on Laura yet again. If she comes directly from the giant's head, that's pretty loving significant. Maybe this whole thing will end with her destroying Bob inside or outside of the black lodge. Who knows?? I've never in my life had less of an idea of how a story would end

laura's gonna journey into the black lodge to defeat bob but get possessed by him instead

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Whoops wrong forum

I was commenting on how dumb the assertion white audiences won't be smart enough to pick up that dark skin isn't meant to associate evil with black people when I don't think the average person is going to get to the first step of thinking the woodsmen had anything to do with ethnically black people

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 27, 2017

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The poem seems to me like its describing what a doppleganger or BOB looks like when they're incognito, perhaps even how it enters new people, through their eyes. I have no idea why the poem hypnotizes people other than its own importance and hidden meaning.

It's semantic bickering, but the bomb didn't open up the path to the Black Lodge. They didn't go to the lodge through the nuclear fire. They went to the new world introduced this season, a place where both the "White Lodge" is, the vast sea where Cooper went, and was warned away from, before The Mother could return and carve up Cooper's face into mush like the Glass Box kids.

I'm not sure what to make of all of it apart from adding more stream of consciousness rambling to it. Inhuman actors are adding more evil and good into the world. For what reason, who knows? They could be like Gods directing a show for their own amusement and fighting over creative control in the only oddly spiritual, and oddly scientific ways they're able to at all. They travel on various forms of energy, including electric wires and sometimes the radio waves, through sockets and channels and frequencies... Maybe through media in general, like the painting in FWWM.

All these thoughts are sure to change drastically within a single new episode, or maybe two, if they decide to revisit the rocky marriage subplots back in the old Twin Peaks. (Don't gently caress with me, TOM!!!)

I want more crazy supernatural poo poo! At the very least, I want the Great Northern key to finally start tying all the threads together.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
The Laura orb is the Roswell UFO, that happened in 47 so not long after trinity in the scheme of things. As it descended to the earth it looked to me like a top down view of a traditional UFO. At first it looked like it was heading west to Washington but when I watched again it looks like New Mexico would be more likely. I doubt it is really Laura, just a load of "good" to counter the mother things "evil".

The Boy is Briggs, the girl got a load of BOB evil and Briggs is going to be involved in it transferring from her to the neighbor of Leland's that throws matches at him (or I dunno, maybe that was a "got a light" hobo). Because of all this Briggs meets up with the army in New Mexico and goes on to do the blue book stuff he talks about. New age crystal people are all about aliens as our saviors.

The explosion didn't create the black lodge but I think it is a major symbol of the evil that men do. Something that would draw the mother thing to it to lay BOB eggs to collect the sorrow that would obviously follow. I don't see the vomit as BOB personally either, just a whole bunch of evil gunk.

I recently listened to a Dan Carlin podcast on the development of nuclear weapons that is pretty enlightening here. Lynch and Frost are old enough to understand Nuclear weapons in a way most young people don't. Even they aren't old enough to personally remember a time before that but they grew up around people who were making the transition to a world where humanity could cease on the whims of an individual. Even for people younger than them this was a huge influence growing up. I was born in 79 and have vague and terrible memories of Star Wars and the Reagan era cold war, nuclear holocaust was by far and away my biggest fear. However it has now been mostly accepted by people as the normal way of things.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I wonder what would have happened if someone did offer the dark man an open flame? Also, was the "light" they were seeking even that? Or another nuclear explosion?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

regulargonzalez posted:

Lynch actually spent two years trying to develop a TV adaptation of the Bad Day on the Midway CDRom adventure game with The Residents but it fell through for various reasons including being too perfect a combination to actually let happen.

But that segment mostly reminded me of Cosmic Osmo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

These are all from the same show.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I would've preferred another sweeping sequence or two over that song. Eraserhead had a small photo of a nuclear explosion near his bed, above a dead twig that looked a lot like the arm. I've always thought those two elements of the set were a bit too kooky, like something from a 90s music video, you know?

There's also this business

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

that may tie in with the e-laa-ctricity stuff.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
After watching episode 8 and sitting on it a little, I'm kinda mixed on what's been revealed so far.

The stuff that went down in this episode implies that the beings from the 'other side' can produce these gold orbs (and thus homunculi like Dougie and possibly Laura) on the regular, plus the thousands of horror-eggs that 'Mother' puked up. It implies that there's an almost constant stream of intrusions from the 'other side', and that our world is teeming with agents of the Black/White Lodges (if those are even distinct places or factions at all).

And that makes me feel dissatisfied, I guess? I'm not sure how to articulate it, but I'll give it a shot. Twin Peaks definitely puts weirdness front and center, but it was rooted in the humanity of the characters. Humans are weird in wonderful and horrible ways, and Lynch really seems to get that. The supernatural/otherworldly stuff also featured heavily, but it served to complement the baseline human weirdness that was part of the townspeople.

By making it all be a proxy war between otherworldly beings, like some big crazy Elder God chess game, I think it adds an unnecessary 'epic struggle' angle. It feels less 'private' I guess? Lynch's work always seems to focus more on internal/personal struggles, people just sorting out their emotional/psychological poo poo, and it seems odd to have it turn out that it was all a decades-long scheme by the Black/White Lodges.

I'm probably worrying over nothing, Lynch is neither a mainstream director nor beholden to mainstream tastes. I'm sure he'll steer things back to the personal level once he's told this background story.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

I also want to see the behind the scenes of them editing the convenience store scene.

You can produce a similar stutter in after effects by adding a wiggle expression to a time remapped layer. :eng101:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
I think one of the creepiest things is when something completely not normal asks in a completely not normal way for a completely normal thing. Like the woodsman asking in a non-threatening way, just politely asking "Got a light?" with that creepy inhuman voice, the wrong look of the woodsman, and the other woodsmen walking across the road at night. The supernatural mixed with the mundane.

But that's not the creepy part for me, the creepy part is what my mind gets up to trying to figure out what would happen if you fulfilled their completely normal request. What would have happened if the driver of the car, or the woman in the radio station, or the DJ, had flicked their BIC? Would that undo the creepy thing, make them say thanks and then just walk away enjoying the smooth taste of that toasted tobacco, so you're always wondering what sort of calamity would have befallen the world if you hadn't? Or would that be the event that triggers whatever apocalypse these woodsmen are harbingers of? Would lighting his smoke have made things better or worse? And what did we get to witness, the better or the worse?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

moist turtleneck posted:

those aren't rockets it's a loving devil skull

http://i.imgur.com/ddSoUwh.gifv

you can see the upper and lower jaws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wa11y posted:

I think one of the creepiest things is when something completely not normal asks in a completely not normal way for a completely normal thing.
While watching the episode, Capntastic mentioned that the woodsman seemed like a Doctor Who monster. This description is very fitting of many Who monsters.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Tupperwarez posted:

After watching episode 8 and sitting on it a little, I'm kinda mixed on what's been revealed so far.

The stuff that went down in this episode implies that the beings from the 'other side' can produce these gold orbs (and thus homunculi like Dougie and possibly Laura) on the regular, plus the thousands of horror-eggs that 'Mother' puked up. It implies that there's an almost constant stream of intrusions from the 'other side', and that our world is teeming with agents of the Black/White Lodges (if those are even distinct places or factions at all).

And that makes me feel dissatisfied, I guess? I'm not sure how to articulate it, but I'll give it a shot. Twin Peaks definitely puts weirdness front and center, but it was rooted in the humanity of the characters. Humans are weird in wonderful and horrible ways, and Lynch really seems to get that. The supernatural/otherworldly stuff also featured heavily, but it served to complement the baseline human weirdness that was part of the townspeople.

By making it all be a proxy war between otherworldly beings, like some big crazy Elder God chess game, I think it adds an unnecessary 'epic struggle' angle. It feels less 'private' I guess? Lynch's work always seems to focus more on internal/personal struggles, people just sorting out their emotional/psychological poo poo, and it seems odd to have it turn out that it was all a decades-long scheme by the Black/White Lodges.

I'm probably worrying over nothing, Lynch is neither a mainstream director nor beholden to mainstream tastes. I'm sure he'll steer things back to the personal level once he's told this background story.
I completely understand what you are getting at. I'm not against stories about elder god cheese games, but it does undermine the past story of Laura Palmer or even our current one with Cooper. Laura's tragedy is now overshadowed by the how it's part of some elder god drama. The fact her tragedy is now specifically personal and not impersonal kinda ruins her story. It seemed way more cruel and horrifying that her death due to Bob was seemingly random and indifferent. Now it's part of a whole "thing".

(I will admit, I think in FWWM, Laura does seem to "sacrifice" herself and is portrayed in a savior-like imagery. So maybe this elder god cheese game was always there in Lynch's/Frost's head, but it seemed more like her choice opposed to it now being some weird Son/Father/Holy Spirit White Lodge shenanigans and... gross... destiny.)

Anyways, the visuals for S3E8 were amazing, but I'm kinda let down right now. Imagine if this effort of unsettling visuals were used with the characters and their conflict we actually care about. Lynch's & Frost's insinuations on the "nature of reality and human nature" were moreso backdrops while following Cooper or Laura. It was pretty fuzzy before but great to chew on alongside the drama/conflict in the town. But now we're just getting full articulation of this "fuzziness" and it's actually not that exciting. Plenty of people want these answers, but honestly it feels misplaced when it's totally detached from Cooper, Laura or anyone we care about.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 27, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

eSporks posted:

While watching the episode, Capntastic mentioned that the woodsman seemed like a Doctor Who monster. This description is very fitting of many Who monsters.

Specifically a Moffat-era monster, with the same repeated phrase shtick

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

eSporks posted:

parts of the journey inside the nuclear explosion def reminded me of the doctor who opening from the last matt smith season where the time vortex looked all stormy and scary and i really wanted to see a lil tardis zoomin around, beaten about like a boat on a choppy sea

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
It's kind of amazing how a mostly-wordless sequence of events can provoke such detailed world-building in our minds. I love this show.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Mover posted:

This was my read as well. You could even take BOB's name as taking after his "father" Robert Oppenheimer this way. I kind of like how the unparalleled, destructive sin that is the atomic bomb can be tied into the weird Americana of the show. You have supernatural forces of evil with names like Mike and Bob who take unusual interest in small, seemingly wholesome populations because the idea and origin of modern America is all bound up in the greatest violence the world has ever known.

Quoting this because I've been trying to arrive at a similar connection in my mind and you said it so well.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It might be about the potential for evil and destruction rather than sin. The spirits are also connected with electricity and other modern tools, and I don't think the general tenor is anti-modern.

Also Harry Truman's name makes it seem Lynch was planning this all along

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I don't think that the bomb opened a gate, I think it's just that the bomb split apart matter into its components and that involved an equal dose of 'good' and 'evil' energy.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Going through the Secret History for the first time, and I came across some interesting stuff that is definitely relevant.

Major Douglas Milford - Dec. 3rd, 1949 - Pasadena, CA posted:

Jack Parsons: (lowers his voice) See, these were the things Crowley had written about. A ritual that he'd attempted in Europe -- important work -- but no one had ever tried it over here.

Douglas Milford: A ritual? And Hubbard was helping you with this?

(he nodded, a faraway look in his eyes.)

JP: We saw things that maybe men aren't supposed to see.

DM: Where was this?

JP: Out in the desert. The desert's a perfect medium for summoning . . . an empty canvas, a beaker into which, under certain circumstances and with fearless rigor, you can create an elixir that will call forth . . . call them what you will . . . messengers of the gods . . .

DM: (I laughed nervously) Wow. What does that look like?

JP: Oh, they assume many forms. The grays, for instance. You know, Zeta Reticulans.

(Continues) The tall ones, the Nordic types, they're different. More benign. Some say they've always been here. Supposedly they come from the Dog Star.

E:

Cont. posted:

JP: Ever been to Roswell?

DM: Roswell, New Mexico? As a matter of fact, I have.

JP: We were near there. In the desert. A place they call Jornada del Muerto.

DM: That's near White Sands, isn't it?

JP: Right. It means "Journey of the Dead Man." Isn't that beautiful? The way we all move through our lives. Eyes closed, head down, shuffling along. Dead before our time, journeying toward the grave.

DM: That's where they tested the bomb.

JP: Yes. (The faraway look again, eyes unfocused) Such a fertile ground for the Working.

DM: Pardon? What's the Working?

JP: The ritual. The Working of Babalon. Calling forth the Elemental.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 27, 2017

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

CJacobs posted:

I really loving want this to end with super saiyan Laura firing a kamehameha at BOB.

I want the ending for Dead or Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNdJ7aC6Is

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Tupperwarez posted:

I think we have to wait to see the full picture. While the supernatural stuff is 'real', on a dramatic level I see it as an aesthetic choice that will ultimately illuminate characters' internal struggles in a way that couldn't be achieved if everything was played straight. For instance, BOB in FWWM is the materialisation of the inescapable terror Laura experiences at the hands of Leland. He's a way of helping the audience emotionally comprehend her trauma. Also throughout the show he's a general metaphor for the evil within people. So in one sense he's operating in the same way as The Babadook.

I don't know where things are going after episode 8, but already there's metaphorical implications to be drawn from BOB originating from the atomic bomb. I trust it's working on a level beyond something like Lost, which obsessed over the intracacies of its mythos at the expense of the mythos being meaningful or interesting thematically or character-wise.

Basically, we're at the same point we were after Coop's dream in s01e03 and have to wait for more stuff to happen to fully appreciate what it all means. Admittedly his dream was more intimate than what we saw here.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 27, 2017

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I don't think that the Bug Frog thing is BOB. The egg it hatched from is one of the many shown in the vomit stream coming from the white inter dimensional horror being - the black orb that BOB's face is shown in was very distinctly different looking than the rest of the eggs, and that is consistent with its appearance half-submerged in Doppelganger Coop's stomach.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

remusclaw posted:

I just want to thank Showtime for giving David Lynch money and 18 hours of television time to fill as he pleases.

Seriously. Whether they're fully onboard with the current madness or they're staring in horror at their screens, I'm so grateful that they decided for whatever reason,"gently caress it, let's give David Lynch 18 hours of completely unfettered creative expression."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLreaAQA9kA

Apropos of nothing, I absolutely love hearing stars do impressions of Mr Lynch and there are some real good ones in this video.

edit: "Naomi, anyone who sits in the hand of King Kong will be a movie star for life!"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 27, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

someone pretty clearly used a skull to draw the smoke in that cgi rendering of the mushroom cloud

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Apropos of nothing, I absolutely love hearing stars do impressions of Mr Lynch and there are some real good ones in this video.

edit: "Naomi, anyone who sits in the hand of King Kong will be a movie star for life!"
Lynch is such an awesome character, and I love his acting. Wish he'd do more of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUmXT3RJCM
He's in 2 episodes of Louie and its awesome. Those 2 episodes are standalone and well worth anyone's watch. Those were the episodes that turned me on to the show.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

CJacobs posted:

Laura Dern watching awkwardly as David Lynch scribbles on a napkin and Kyle MacLachlan does ketchup drawings with a knife.

Not related but I saw a MacLachlan interview and was surprised that he sounds more like Booper than Cooper.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 27, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously. Whether they're fully onboard with the current madness or they're staring in horror at their screens, I'm so grateful that they decided for whatever reason,"gently caress it, let's give David Lynch 18 hours of completely unfettered creative expression."

Inversely, if any work was actually done in the dark period before they gave Lynch full control I really hope that let it go once the series is over just so we can see how big a bullet we dodged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

In spite of this being Peak Lynch it really felt super heavily connected to Frost's book and the fixation it has on Aleistair Crowley's Moonchild.

quote:

Its plot involves a magical war between a group of white magicians, led by Simon Iff, and a group of black magicians over an unborn child.

IT SURE DOES

Douglas Milford - continued posted:

I asked [Jack Parsons' former associate] if he knew anything about Parsons conducting a ritual in the New Mexico desert. He looked at me sharply, and asked how I knew that. I said that Parsons had told me about it himself that morning at the coffee shop; something called "The Working." The man paused to collect himself and said that Parsons had also told him something like that had taken place.
An effort to open a second gate that they'd found in the desert in order to bring across an entity he called "The Moonchild."***

I asked if he had any idea when that ritual might have taken place. He said he knew exactly when it happened because Parsons had asked him to feed his cats while he was gone. Cross-checking the date, I realized it was the weekend just before the UFO incident at Roswell, part of which I personally witnessed.

***"Moonchild" is both the title and subject of a 1923 novel by Crowley about a battle between two "lodges" of black and white magicians over an unborn child who may or may not be "the Antichrist." Crowley apparently tried to conduct this ritual himself on numerous occasions earlier in his own life -- without success -- which served as Parsons' inspiration.

E:

eSporks posted:

Lynch is such an awesome character, and I love his acting. Wish he'd do more of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUmXT3RJCM
He's in 2 episodes of Louie and its awesome. Those 2 episodes are standalone and well worth anyone's watch. Those were the episodes that turned me on to the show.

HOLY CRAP - I saw these episodes before I knew literally anything about David Lynch. This is fantastic.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 27, 2017