Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I nabbed a foil card which earned me some extra cash, is there any notable five bucks game that slipt under the radar? I'm considering Sorcery! 1+2 but am wondering if there might be anything I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

It is a great game, and I have an extra copy in my inventory. If anyone is planning on buying it, I'd trade it, if someone wanted to buy me Domina, which would save them $3.

I can do that, if you're okay waiting 12 hours. Friend me on steamcommunity.com/Id/creepyjackalopeeye if so. And thank you, I wanna play it but I'm counting the pennies this sale.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 27, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Samuringa posted:

I nabbed a foil card which earned me some extra cash, is there any notable five bucks game that slipt under the radar? I'm considering Sorcery! 1+2 but am wondering if there might be anything I missed.

I haven't seen anyone recommend The Count Lucanor for this sale, so I'm going to throw that out there. Five bucks.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440880/The_Count_Lucanor/

It's kinda niche, but if it's your thing then it's a treat. I loved it. It is, to date, the only game on Steam that I've felt compelled to write a review for, which you can access here, if you so desire.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

explosivo posted:

Just Cause 3 worth $13? I bought it when it released but ended up refunding it because of the always online stuff crashing constantly and generally seeming pretty meh overall. Have they changed/fixed any of the buggy always online bullshit?

I would honestly spend that money on some other game or a burger. There's little substance (which is no surprise given the franchise) and they made all your vehicles and even you tissue paper. It's no fun being a god of destruction who can't take a few shots. Choppers are dead before you finish the getting in animation.

Granted, this is from my experience giving up before reaching the main island, but if they can't make the opening of the game fun enough to warrant sticking around until you've unlocked poo poo then gently caress that.

Also the unlock system and its currency is poorly handled activity grinding.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is the CIV6 + X-Com 2 bundle worth getting if I just having passing interest in Civ6? The only Civ I have is 5. I get bored of single player strategy games pretty quickly, pretty much after just winning one game unless there is a decent multiplayer scene? Not sure I would want to dedicate a 6 hour block or whatever for one game though. Also X-Com 2 seems to be having an expansion coming out soon, would it be worth waiting for some bundle with that maybe in the winter sale?

I am having trouble deciding which games I would actually play if I got them, since I tend to buy games that I heard were good when they go on sale, and then never play them.

Here are games that kept my interest enough to get my moneys worth:
Darkest Dungeon
FTL
Rogue Legacy
Shadowrun Returns
South Park: Stick of Truth
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Dominions 4 (multiplayer)
Binding of Isaac

Currently thinking of grabbing:
Left for Dead 2 - cheaper than a drink at a restaurant, does anyone still play it?
Transistor - cheap
Shadow of Mordor - cheap
Satellite Reign - I liked Syndicate a long time ago, not sure if this is any good or if the play-style holds up
I feel like these could add to the pile of never played games if I get them just because they are cheap though.

Maybe one metroidvania?
Dead Cells - looked the best but not a huge fan of early access
Hollow Knight - people say it is good but videos have not looked like anything special
Ori and the blind forest - supposed to be good?

Any thoughts on the above games?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

black.lion posted:

What are some good RPGs on sale? Like, if I wanted to replay Final Fantasy VIII and IX.

In case this gets missed on the last page

Basically I want something with gorgeous visuals that's basically a slightly-interactive long movie, bonus points if I can pick between different classes or play-styles, if armor and weapons show on your character in game, and/or there is character creation/customization. I need something to relax and chill and play with my feet up and hear abt a cool story.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pain of Mind posted:

Is the CIV6 + X-Com 2 bundle worth getting if I just having passing interest in Civ6? The only Civ I have is 5. I get bored of single player strategy games pretty quickly, pretty much after just winning one game unless there is a decent multiplayer scene? Not sure I would want to dedicate a 6 hour block or whatever for one game though. Also X-Com 2 seems to be having an expansion coming out soon, would it be worth waiting for some bundle with that maybe in the winter sale?

I am having trouble deciding which games I would actually play if I got them, since I tend to buy games that I heard were good when they go on sale, and then never play them.

Darkest Dungeon
FTL
Rogue Legacy
Shadowrun Returns
Binding of Isaac

Left for Dead 2 - cheaper than a drink at a restaurant, does anyone still play it?
Transistor - cheap
Shadow of Mordor - cheap
Satellite Reign - I liked Syndicate a long time ago, not sure if this is any good or if the play-style holds up
I feel like these could add to the pile of never played games if I get them just because they are cheap though.

Maybe one metroidvania?
Hollow Knight - people say it is good but videos have not looked like anything special

Do Not Get Civ VI. (I've only heard bad things about it.)

Transistor is good, Hollow Knight is incredibly good. Ori and the Blind Forest is not a good metroidvania, but it's an interesting precision platformer with obstacle courses. I didn't like it, but it's very pretty.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Why do people keep calling Dead Cells a metroidvania? It's a roguelike platformer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Pain of Mind posted:

Darkest Dungeon
FTL
Rogue Legacy
Shadowrun Returns
Binding of Isaac

Transistor - cheap
Shadow of Mordor - cheap

Maybe one metroidvania?

Shadow of Mordor is an Arkham game where you slaughter Uruks in very messy ways and around 60% of the story also begin pitting them against each other. I greatly enjoyed it, but it's not a spectacular game.

Hollow Knight is fantastic, if you enjoy metroidvanias at all you won't regret it. Dead Cells might be cool but I'd rather wait for it to be finished.

black.lion posted:

Basically I want something with gorgeous visuals that's basically a slightly-interactive long movie, bonus points if I can pick between different classes or play-styles, if armor and weapons show on your character in game, and/or there is character creation/customization. I need something to relax and chill and play with my feet up and hear abt a cool story.

That's awfully specific. Steam also isn't very big into RPGs - at least not those that are as expansive as you're asking. The only ones I can think of are Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1+2 and The Witcher 3, and if I had to chose one of those it'd definitely be Witcher. You probably already have those tho :(

RPGs that don't fit all those criteria but might spark your interest: Trails in the Sky series, Atelier series, Cosmic Star Heroine, The Last Remnant, South Park: Stick of Truth, Divinity II, Expeditions series, Shadowrun series(Daggerfal and Hong Kong), Tales of Berseria

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I hear ya, it was specific. I definitely love the witcher and the others you mentioned, and Shadowrun et al. also fit the bill. Really I just want something with a compelling story that is relaxing to play and really pretty (and not dark, unlike shadowrun). My cart is currently:

Rebel Galaxy
Transistor
The Banner Saga
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut - Classic
Hyper Light Drifter

Are any of these bad choices?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I haven't seen anyone recommend The Count Lucanor for this sale, so I'm going to throw that out there. Five bucks.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440880/The_Count_Lucanor/

It's kinda niche, but if it's your thing then it's a treat. I loved it. It is, to date, the only game on Steam that I've felt compelled to write a review for, which you can access here, if you so desire.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person around here who loves this little gem.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pain of Mind posted:

Shadow of Mordor - cheap

L4D2 is given away these days and I think everyone moved on since then. Payday 2 is like zombies with guns and RPG elements. Very bloated with DLC.

Get the Shadow of Mordor bundle. The DLC stuff is optional and sometimes cheesy. Prepares you for when Shadow of War bundles with 20 DLC next year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

black.lion posted:

I hear ya, it was specific. Really I just want something with a compelling story that is relaxing to play and really pretty. My cart is currently:

Rebel Galaxy
Transistor
The Banner Saga
Hyper Light Drifter

They might fall down on the pretty scale, but have you tried Spiderweb Software games? Avadon, Geneforge, Avernum...? They have really detailed storylines with lots of choices, and combat is turn-based fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

black.lion posted:

I hear ya, it was specific. I definitely love the witcher and the others you mentioned, and Shadowrun et al. also fit the bill. Really I just want something with a compelling story that is relaxing to play and really pretty (and not dark, unlike shadowrun). My cart is currently:

Rebel Galaxy
Transistor
The Banner Saga
Hyper Light Drifter

banner saga is trash.

hyper light drifter is a good game but i am afraid may not be what you are after. its story is background to the fast paced gameplay

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Awesome! posted:

banner saga is trash.

Do not listen to this goon, Banner Saga is p. great

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

suuma posted:

Why do people keep calling Dead Cells a metroidvania? It's a roguelike platformer.
people confuse roguelikes or open world games for metroidvanias sometimes. the definition should be pretty simple: areas are gated off by ability (you can't get somewhere without acquiring a new ability/move), and those abilities/moves can also be used in earlier areas to find secrets

I may do a steam curator group simply for defining if a game is a metroidvania or not because it's getting to be a thing

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I was in for HLD to be a fun arcadey thing and also bc it looks pretty so sounds like it'll fill in nicely there :)

I was in for Banner Saga for the story and art style. What say other goon-pinions?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I found nothing relaxing about Rebel Galaxy. It's very combat-y and the story didn't seem any better than all the other space trading/fighting things. Do people call it a 4x? It doesn't seem like it should be called a 4x.

I unno, tearing down games isn't fun.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

black.lion posted:

I was in for Banner Saga for the story and art style. What say other goon-pinions?

Awesome! posted:

banner saga is trash.
This guy is correct. Combat is awful, game would have been much better without it, but sadly there's a fair amount.

maybe Banner Saga 2 is better from what I heard.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

black.lion posted:

Witcher 3 has gorgeous visuals and it's the most immersive RPG I've played (I'd probably rate it as the best one). It's gorgeous, you don't choose classes but you can focus on some different combat style, armor/weapons shows. But it's pretty heavily-interactive and it's an open world (but done right, places are pretty unique and sidequests that doesn't involve diving into the ocean are all great).
Witcher 2 is pretty good too, and more focused. (I'd skip Witcher 1)

Alpha Protocol visuals are pretty dated but the game looks alright, and feels like an spy movie. it has different skill trees and you can play dress-up with your agent.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 if you want some sci-fi cinematic experience (skip ME 1 and Andromeda).

Dragon Age Inquisition could be an option too, if you're going for medieval fantasy, I think Witcher is a better series in all aspects but you could look into it.

For JRPGS, Final Fantasy X and it's sequels, maybe? Tales of Berseria has some positive reviews.

I'd recommend Horizon Zero Dawn, unfortunately that's only for PS4.

There's probably a few FPS and Action/Adventure games that fits the 'slightly-interactive long movie' description better.

black.lion posted:

I was in for HLD to be a fun arcadey thing and also bc it looks pretty so sounds like it'll fill in nicely there :)

Banner Saga has a great art style, can't say much about the story because I hated the gameplay mechanics so much that I stopped playing really early.

It's like... the worst SRPG I ever played (combat-wise)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 27, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

black.lion posted:

Rebel Galaxy

I loved the combat system in Rebel Galaxy. I think it would be a good candidate for veg out game, but in the space sim/pirate/trading category, not story-happens RPG a la Final Fantasy.

Also, should mention that most (all?) of the mainline Final Fantasies are available on Steam. All the ones before FFX are under :10bux:. Just be warned, some of the ports aren't so hot.

Quest For Glory II posted:

people confuse roguelikes or open world games for metroidvanias sometimes. the definition should be pretty simple: areas are gated off by ability (you can't get somewhere without acquiring a new ability/move), and those abilities/moves can also be used in earlier areas to find secrets

I may do a steam curator group simply for defining if a game is a metroidvania or not because it's getting to be a thing

Oh, now I get it. I thought it was an crafting-survival-zombie game.

kater posted:

I found nothing relaxing about Rebel Galaxy. It's very combat-y and the story didn't seem any better than all the other space trading/fighting things. Do people call it a 4x? It doesn't seem like it should be called a 4x.

I unno, tearing down games isn't fun.

4X stands for the 4 X's:
Expand
Explore
Exploit
Exterminate

A 4X is a strategy game. Think Civilization, Masters of Orion, and (for a real time spin) Sins of a Solar Empire. You're probably thinking about the space piloting games in the X series.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 27, 2017

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Word thanks everyone, I've def played Witcher 2 and 3, Alpha Protocol, Inquisition, all the Mass Effects, Horizon Zero Dawn, and all the Final Fantasies (except X-2 but I didn't like X enough to want to go back) and I loved them all, so your suggestions are spot on! I even liked Andromeda just to give you an idea of how attached I get to stories/universes.

I'd totally replay a FF except that I'm saving myself for the VII remake, and I can play a port of IX on my phone sometime when I have a logn plane ride.

I'll check out Tales of Berseria and y'all have convinced me not to try Banner Saga (Wasteland 2 should fill the same niche anyhow), so thanks. Super stoked about Rebel Galaxy now, was hoping it'd be a good veg/netflix game yay

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I went to go buy Victor Vran and ended up adding a bunch of cheapies:

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Aquaria
Limbo
Solar 2
Gundemonium Recollection
Overlord II
A Story About My Uncle
Volgarr the Viking
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
They Bleed Pixels
To The Moon
Hotline Miami
Thomas Was Alone
Dishonored
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad haha what?
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians Collector's Edition
Pixel Galaxy
Deathstate
Color Assembler
Shattered Planet
HuniePop
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition
Victor Vran

Edit: Hrm.... guess I've got some work to do. Damned Path of Exile addiction...
Games owned: 309
Games not played: 270 (87%)

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 27, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Is there any real benefit to playing Syberia and Syberia 2 in this day and age? They always seemed interesting to me but I don't need yet another clunky old game gathering dust in my steam library. Will I play it?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

black.lion posted:

Rebel Galaxy
Transistor
The Banner Saga
Hyper Light Drifter

Do not buy Wasteland 2, friend.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Firelizard posted:

Looking for some good, goon recommended point and click/adventure games.

Another one is the Full Throttle remaster on the front page. One of the best from that era.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Perhaps this was answered already, but does Steam rotate which deals are active during its big sales these days or did they stop doing that? In years past I remembered that they'd switch it up each day during a sale but I've been looking at my wishlist for a few days and none of the discounts have really changed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

i can still taste him posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Aquaria
Limbo
Solar 2
Gundemonium Recollection
Overlord II
A Story About My Uncle
Volgarr the Viking
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
They Bleed Pixels
To The Moon
Hotline Miami
Thomas Was Alone
Dishonored
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad haha what?
Pixel Galaxy
Deathstate
Color Assembler
Shattered Planet
HuniePop
Victor Vran

Overlord 2 was denied its DLC, so your castle may look barren without an arena. Not a good sequel in any case.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Silly question, but did you already purchase this? I have an old Victor Vran key floating around.

C-Euro posted:

Perhaps this was answered already, but does Steam rotate which deals are active during its big sales these days or did they stop doing that? In years past I remembered that they'd switch it up each day during a sale but I've been looking at my wishlist for a few days and none of the discounts have really changed.

This stopped a year or two ago. At best, some companies seem to put their games on sale late.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kater posted:

I found nothing relaxing about Rebel Galaxy.
i got really annoyed by the frequent ambushes that pull you out of warp when i was just trying to fly around and do some chill trading

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Aquaria
Limbo
Solar 2
Gundemonium Recollection
Overlord II
A Story About My Uncle
Volgarr the Viking
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
They Bleed Pixels
To The Moon
Hotline Miami
Thomas Was Alone
Dishonored
Pixel Galaxy
Deathstate
Color Assembler
Shattered Planet
HuniePop
Victor Vran

Love Deathstate--I've got like 200 hours logged on it.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

black.lion posted:

Word thanks everyone, I've def played Witcher 2 and 3, Alpha Protocol, Inquisition, all the Mass Effects, Horizon Zero Dawn, and all the Final Fantasies (except X-2 but I didn't like X enough to want to go back) and I loved them all, so your suggestions are spot on! I even liked Andromeda just to give you an idea of how attached I get to stories/universes.

I'd totally replay a FF except that I'm saving myself for the VII remake, and I can play a port of IX on my phone sometime when I have a logn plane ride.

I'll check out Tales of Berseria and y'all have convinced me not to try Banner Saga (Wasteland 2 should fill the same niche anyhow), so thanks. Super stoked about Rebel Galaxy now, was hoping it'd be a good veg/netflix game yay

Since you played Horizon, you could try Yakuza (lenghty cinematics between gameplay and story focused), and while not RPGs I'm buying the new Wolfensteins to get a chill cinematic experience (about killing nazis with heavy weaponry) watch some gameplay on youtube to see if you'd like (The first 30-40 minutes will probably do).

I'm conflicted about Wasteland 2, while the game does some things right they kept many old design decisions purely to cater the hardcore fanbase that are pretty bad and shouldn't be on a modern games. I found that Pillars of Eternities did the 'let's get an old classic and remake it" way better, you get the feeling of playing a old isometric game like baldurs gate / icewind dale without obtuse mechanics, trap options, etc.

Pillars universe is pretty cool and they even made some pdf's with world lore. Unfortunately the game is more like Baldur's Gate 1 than 2, less plot heavy and more combat. I found the world setting cool at least :shobon: (and they're doing PoE 2 on a much more interesting part of the game world)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 27, 2017

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

BirdOfPlay posted:

Silly question, but did you already purchase this? I have an old Victor Vran key floating around.
Yep. Playing it right now. Enjoying it so far!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Scalding Coffee posted:

Payday 2 is like zombies with guns and RPG elements. Very bloated with DLC.

bloated good, they keep updating and adding content, and now all the DLC is free moving forward (current version on sale includes all previous DLC, the upgrade to the old version also includes all previous DLC)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BirdOfPlay posted:

This stopped a year or two ago. At best, some companies seem to put their games on sale late.

I thought that was the case, but thanks for confirming.

Trying to stick to a $10 budget since
1. Just went on vacation
2. Already own lots of games I have yet to play
3. poo poo's cheap anyway, yo

With that in mind, how should I structure my spending?

$9.99
V:tM- Bloodlines
Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
Fallout NV Ultimate Edition

$7.49
DA: Origins
Dungeonmans

$6.79
Baldur's Gate EE
Baldur's Gate 2 EE

$4.99
Tales of Symphonia

$2.49
KOTOR II
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Dishonored

<$2.49
$1.99- To Be Or Not To Be
$1.99- Goat Simulator
99c- Garshasp: The Monster Slayer

:ssh: $10.79- Salt and Sanctuary
:ssh: $11.79- Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

buy dungeonmans

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Any multiplayer game similar to Divinity out there?

Also is Nier worth picking up on PC or is it the type of game that's better on console?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

C-Euro posted:

I thought that was the case, but thanks for confirming.

Trying to stick to a $10 budget since
1. Just went on vacation
2. Already own lots of games I have yet to play
3. poo poo's cheap anyway, yo

With that in mind, how should I structure my spending?

$9.99
V:tM- Bloodlines
Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
Fallout NV Ultimate Edition

$7.49
DA: Origins
Dungeonmans

$6.79
Baldur's Gate EE
Baldur's Gate 2 EE

$4.99
Tales of Symphonia

$2.49
KOTOR II
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Dishonored

<$2.49
$1.99- To Be Or Not To Be
$1.99- Goat Simulator
99c- Garshasp: The Monster Slayer

:ssh: $10.79- Salt and Sanctuary
:ssh: $11.79- Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

Dragon's Dogma, Salt and Sanctuary, Dishonored, Fallout NV, V:tM Bloodlines and KOTOR 2 are all great. I'd rate them overall:

Dishonored > Dragon's Dogma > Kotor / Bloodlines / Fallout > Salt and Sanctuary

They're pretty different gameplay-wise so I'd pick the one you want to play the most now.

Nodelphi posted:

Also is Nier worth picking up on PC or is it the type of game that's better on console?
There's an unofficial s for the full screen problem, so I'd pick it on PC (you won't have a problem playing it windowed, it runs smooth with no patch here)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

buy dungeonmans

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Is there a way to filter the steam store so I don't keep seeing games I already own?

Also, Hollow Knight, Death Road to Canada, or Darkest Dungeon?

• Locked thread