Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Come on Asian Lesbian Cyberwoman PM, we need you now more than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zenithe posted:

Last nights mediawatch is worth a watch. It's on the lovely, lovely response of Australian columnists to the Grenfell Tower fire.

Yeah, it was pretty appalling stuff. "Dozens killed by GREEN IDEOLOGY!"

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Good.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Come on Asian Lesbian Cyberwoman President, we need you now more than ever.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ni.... Hao...*fires plasma beam at conservative opposition leader while snorting robo cocaine off the body of my robo wife*

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anidav posted:

Ni.... Hao...*fires plasma beam at conservative opposition leader while snorting robo cocaine off the body of my robo wife*

i sent you that fanfiction in confidence

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

You should know better than to have confidence in the 'dav.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Actually, please write this short story. 2000 words, due by Friday.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

Actually, please write this short story. 2000 words, due by Friday.
Milky could never stay under 2000 words.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Save this thread Milky Moor. With a wall of text about our Asian lesbian cyborg prime minister in the year 2065!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Permanently inter Penny Wong in a mechwarrior imo.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Coming in late here but Wayne Swan renounced the more extreme aspects of neoliberalism sometime in the last year or so. His articles specifically reflect him changing his mind as he's seen the growing divide and what's happening in the labour market.

Keating followed suit shortly after and he was the one who primarily was responsible for them. They're allowed to change their mind, better late than never I guess.

Morrison himself will probably be getting similar advice from treasury and finance except he's hamstrung by the fact that if he does anything about it he literally destroys his own party. It's a miracle the few concessions they managed to get into the latest budget but you can bet your arse that's been carefully calculated.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/879496958024404992

Grownups.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Les Affaires posted:

Coming in late here but Wayne Swan renounced the more extreme aspects of neoliberalism sometime in the last year or so. His articles specifically reflect him changing his mind as he's seen the growing divide and what's happening in the labour market.

Keating followed suit shortly after and he was the one who primarily was responsible for them. They're allowed to change their mind, better late than never I guess.

Morrison himself will probably be getting similar advice from treasury and finance except he's hamstrung by the fact that if he does anything about it he literally destroys his own party. It's a miracle the few concessions they managed to get into the latest budget but you can bet your arse that's been carefully calculated.

I think there was a degree of naivety when Keating introduced his changes (both under Hawke and as PM). Labor genuinely thought they were winning and would be in power for eternity. They thought class war was over because their base had built lives in which their children were attending universities, owned homes, whatever. Then the new set of policy levers got handed to the liberals and the levers were ones that they enjoyed pulling.

We essentially had to float the dollar and needed to reform IR, but Labor didn't go far enough in the accords and install a German style labour union inclusivity pact or something similar, so the whole thing went to the poo poo and bogged unions (even the good ones) down in busy work, which was the end of collective power. You can't hire enough people to properly engage in thousands of EBAs a year. When you as an organiser are negotiating with a guy who is doing one EBA and focusing on it all day every day while you are racing around in the car trying to negotiate 15 concurrently, something has to break. The thing that breaks for organisers is usually their brains as they spend 80 hours a week working without a regular sleep pattern as they hold meeting at 6am and 11pm on the same day, then work office hours, then have a meeting at 12am the same day. An organiser is a perpetually on worker. It's a nightmare lifestyle when you start to hit the wall and the flames of righteousness start to dim and all you can think is "gently caress, I'd love to just go home and watch television without fixating on my next appointment in 3 hours".

The whole thing tends to eventually reward "work smart" organisers, many of which are still fantastic and do great things, but it also opens the door wide for apparatchiks with a five year plan for politics, or it results in workers at low density work sites being ignored due to workload. It also punishes good organisers with divorce and poo poo personal/family lives because they're never at home. I recall one famous meeting where one of our country organisers (who is a loving legendary human) requested a life size cardboard of himself. When asked why replied "so I can leave it at home so the kids don't forget what I look like." I laughed but it carried enough truth to be mildly depressing.

e: TLDR; the 3rd way looked amazing in 1985 but it turns out that war never changes

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 27, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm not excusing bad Labor policy, Keating, poo poo unions or anyone else. Conversation just made me think about the day to day and wanted to share.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Someone fire the marketing department at St. George Bank.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Someone remember to repost this in 4 pages

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Normies will love this though...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That's a loving ugly dragon

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Anidav posted:

That's a loving ugly dragon

It's Caleb Bond, not a dragon.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The ripples on RDNs forehead is like an acid trip.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

"OL&S Ricky joins Shooters, Fishers & Farmers Party posted:

ONE-time Motoring Enthusiast Party Senator Ricky Muir is swapping cars for guns and rods, revealing he will join the Victorian branch of the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party.

Mr Muir, whose career in the Federal Senate lasted from 2013 to 2016, said he was now considering a tilt at State Parliament where he would advocate for regional blue collar voters sick of major parties.

The former sawmiller said when deciding whether to put his hand up for public life again, the Andrews Government “failing timber workers in Gippsland was the final straw”.

“If I was to run as a candidate and be pre-selected I would run a no bull campaign and offer Gippsland an alternative candidate who is willing to work with either side of Government in the best interest of the electorate, rather than simply promoting pre-written party lines,” he said.

Mr Muir gained a reputation for speaking honestly about a range of issues during his three years as a senator, and encouraged other novices to follow his lead and give politics a crack.

He also gained headlines for a “car crash” interview on Channel 7 when starting his political career, and for a video in which he was seen throwing kangaroo poo at a friend.

At the time he dismissed the roo poo incident as “people play” in the bush.

In the Victorian Parliament there are already two Shooters, Fishers and Farmers MPs, Jeff Bourman and Daniel Young.

Mr Bourman, who is the Victorian chairman of the party, said he was delighted Mr Muir would join them as he “is passionate about fighting for the future of regional communities in Victoria and for maintaining access to the great outdoors for everyone”.

Mr Bourman said that Mr Muir stood out from the “party hacks and political elite with his ‘every man’ outlook which brought rare common sense and ethics to Australian politics”.

“He is going to be a natural fit for the party and we welcome him aboard,” Mr Bourman said.

In revealing he would run for a state seat, Mr Muir attacked Labor for “pandering to Green ideology” and called the Liberal and National coalition an “unholy alliance”.

Mr Muir said he had not yet decided which seat to run for, but would consider pre-selection options in the coming months.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ricky Muir sucks now, ah well.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

BRB getting SMG to do a cute roar for 1000 bucks

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bogan King posted:

Someone remember to repost this in 4 pages

nice

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Ricky Muir sucks now, ah well.

Yeah, that kinda sucks. The SFF make the National Party look good with their environmental credentials

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're just a gun rights party, aren't they? Or do they have other policies?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

open24hours posted:

They're just a gun rights party, aren't they? Or do they have other policies?

They're the "support whatever nonsensical bush whacker poo poo is du jour" party.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
So is Hinch bad enough for us to want Muir in his place?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Hinch has a column in Crikey that he posts to around weekly, sometimes more often when parliament is sitting. It's quite refreshing, and I think he does it because he's so used to it that it doesn't take him too much time either.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ora Tzo posted:

So is Hinch bad enough for us to want Muir in his place?

Hinch is poo poo in that he votes similarly to how Muir voted, but doesn't complain about having to vote that way. Or at least it doesn't get in the news I've seen.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Looking forward to PHON response

I wonder. The Asian community is too strong and settled here now. Racists like the weaker targets.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Well folks, the Festival of Dangerous Ideas – the 'ideas festival' where middle-class lefty boomers pay to see Andrew Bolt and feel dangerous for a bit – is no more. The Sydney Opera House has axed it, and are replacing it with a progressive “ideas, art and action” festival.

Antidote is quite a different beast to FODI, and it shows immediately. Focused on progressive political and social action, it seems more inclined towards highlighting and showcasing various international activists and performers.
Festival of Dangerous Ideas is Gone Ski

I'm a little disappointed, the FODI was really good for a few years.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

It's like someone told the graphic designer not to use pie charts but didn't explain why they're bad.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Krazyface posted:

It's like someone told the graphic designer not to use pie charts but didn't explain why they're bad.

At the start it says it's showing the distribution as if Australia was 100 people.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Zenithe posted:

At the start it says it's showing the distribution as if Australia was 100 people.

:cripes:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

The world should only be this lucky.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

They're the "support whatever nonsensical bush whacker poo poo is du jour" party.

Their campaign slogans can be found on the back of every Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser that has the big mud digger tyres on it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Their campaign slogans can be found on the back of every Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser that has the big mud digger tyres on it.

ShootersandFishers.jpg

Also suck poo poo Wayne Nugent

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You Am I posted:

The irony of which should not be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/879550735267938305

The implication here is that it is OK to steal poo poo.

• Locked thread