Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even if you don't rely on turrets to do the killing, cause yeah I get it their accuracy sucks the big one and damage is meh, target saturation is a thing. Every bullet/club that goes flying at a few steel and components isn't risking infection and a permanent injury to a pawn. Front line should always be turrets. Except when you get visited by a pack of star vampires. Then, well, good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Coolguye posted:

I've said it before, but it always bears repeating: Any fighting you can do with turrets, you SHOULD do with turrets. If a pawn gets hit, they require a bed, medicine, and prayer to get better. The last one in the hopes that they don't get an infection from their wounds. If a turret gets hit, it requires some dork with the Construction labor enabled to make welder noises for 15 minutes. If a pawn gets hit hard, they could require anything from expensive prostheses to a hole in the ground and entire labor re-alignment to kinda sorta handle. If a turret gets hit hard, they require 170 steel and 3 components to be good as new. I don't care how much you don't like a turret's accuracy or its damage profile. It does damage and eliminates threats at practically no risk to you. Use them. Love them. Never let them go.

This but also mortars.

Mortars are gooooood.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Just picked this game up recently and lost my first game last night to what I can only describe as an infection spiral combined with poor decision making.

I had one guy die from an infection he got from fighting a rat. I knew he had it but assumed it would be ok with bedrest and medicine, which was clearly not the case. After he died his dog went apeshit and attacked another colonist who's arm got infected. This time I actually paid attention and tried to force people to take care of her as much as possible but it kept getting worse.
Eventually I told my doctor to amputate and things turned out generally ok, except that the only person left particularly combat effective at this point was my doctor who a few minutes later ended up getting an infected leg after another animal attack.

I tried to micro my colonists to help her recover, but alas the infection grew ever worse and I was forced to amputate again. At this point I think I had two healthy people floating around but forgot that one of them was armless and assigned her the amputation since the other one was busy harvesting food. It took three tries and multiple stab wounds to the doctor's chest but eventually my one-armed pawn was able to hack the infected leg off.

The doctor eventually recovered and my settlement slowly began to hobble along again, when a refugee showed up. I'd had this event before in an earlier abandoned playthrough and knew that if I accepted the plea for help that I would get attacked. I also knew that my people weren't in the best shape but I was desperate for another healthy body and in the past the pursuers had only been a few people armed with clubs. This time around it was a group of 8 tribals with spears who proceeded to murder everyone left in my fort.

Looking back I realize this was all my fault but goddamn was it fun while it was going down.
When I actually stop to think about it I'm fairly certain that the fact that my medical recovery bed was in a room with a vomit covered dirt floor did not help with the whole infection thing. I really can't wait to give things another shot tonight.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

You still need the sterile silver floors for the hospital, kitchen, and meal storage areas, right? TBH, I've never had a fort last long enough to get all 3.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

LLSix posted:

You still need the sterile silver floors for the hospital, kitchen, and meal storage areas, right? TBH, I've never had a fort last long enough to get all 3.

I don't think storage requires it to dodge poisoning. Looks like cleanliness is applied at cook time and is a weird metric to evaluate but is usually linearly associated with beauty. Blood causes lots of beauty/cleanliness loss and patients usually bleed a lot.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Today I discovered there's no mood debuff from having your fiance kidnapped by raiders.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

LLSix posted:

I really only put sterile tiles in my hospital. I don't feel like the occasional bout of food poising is really worth the investment for sterile tile in the kitchen. If you are on a warm moist weather map getting sterile tile in your hospital is a large priority as pawns are more prone to infection in the jungle biome.

Seconding Mortars owning, its a good way to thin out the raiders and inflict some serious damage while the raiders are milling around waiting to start the actual raid.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mortars are really good for countering sieges too. They'll bring in their ammo and supplies first then start building their defenses and mortars. Ammo makes a big boom if you hit it. This event usually turns into a donation of whatever supplies aren't blown up this way as everyone frequently flees after that many dead.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've found mortars to be effective only for countering sieges and for safely triggering psychic/poison ships. For everything else, they are way too inaccurate. I've occasionally gotten lucky hits on groups of raiders as they are loitering about before an attack, but for anything that's moving,

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it doesn't matter if you hit stuff or not with any particular mortar shell, one shell is like 15 steel so even if it takes 10 shots to get one effective hit you're coming out pretty well since getting hit by a mortar shell takes the fight out of even a mechanoid pretty god drat fast.

i'd agree with not bothering trying to hit targets in motion, though. i've seen some people use an incendiary shell to start a brush fire at the entrance of their base, having built a safe firebreak on their intake, to give a raiding party something to think about on their way in, but that takes a lot of preparation to use well.

ShadowHawk posted:

Today I discovered there's no mood debuff from having your fiance kidnapped by raiders.

i had a dude crash land on my map the other day. he was incapable of dumb labor, smart labor, and caring. his combat stats were awful. he has slothful and ugly.

he was my construction lady's fiancee.

i rescued him, patched him up, and the instant he could walk he shambled off map, naked.

real winner you picked up there, Teal.

apparently she agreed because she started an affair with my miner the following month. her dumbass fiancee has not come back and if he does he can go gently caress himself.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 27, 2017

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Thanks I will have to throw that in my mod list for my next colony. Until then I guess I will just have to shrink my excess storage stockpile room to take it outside of the overhead mountain.

It's sort of 'cheating' but what i do is mine out what'd i'd like, and use the devtools to delete the overhead mountain. I 'balance' this non-work by deleting silver that i consider to be the 'fee' for destroying the walls.

The mod would much nicer, but this is a vanilla solution you can do.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I just noticed stockpile merger and lol that this isnt stock behavior. I guess i never paid attention but i do feel like im always building my next stockpile and i never seem to have more stuff.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Coolguye posted:

i rescued him, patched him up, and the instant he could walk he shambled off map, naked.

Did you intend to keep him around? I can't tell if you knew what you were doing or not so apologies if you knew this already but rescue = once they heal they walk off the map, capture = once they heal they're assimilated.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Garfu posted:

Did you intend to keep him around? I can't tell if you knew what you were doing or not so apologies if you knew this already but rescue = once they heal they walk off the map, capture = once they heal they're assimilated.

Sometimes they stay. Rescue is more like "stay if you want to but I'm not putting in extra effort to recruit you" if you really don't want them you have to let them die. I assume he was hoping the guy would leave so he could avoid the mood penalty and would have arranged an accident if he stayed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Really wish there was some kind of check for "will I make it more than ten feet" when a rescued pawn decides to start walking if they're not going to allow me to choose when to let them leave. Having to rescue the same rear end in a top hat three or four times halfway across the map and then seeing them get out of bed in the middle of a manhunting boomrat event the fifth time gets old.

I spent a lot of labor and food on you, you ungrateful, stripped naked jackass. I wanted the reputation boost in addition to your weapon, clothing, and assistance taking down that pack of Dark Young.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Garfu posted:

I rescued 4 dudes from cryo caskets and all 4 of them stayed! So maybe it has to do with how wealthy your colony is because I am pretty well off at this point or maybe I was just super lucky.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 27, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I seriously haven't built a turret since 2015 and really dislike the elements of the game that force them, which is pretty much mechanoid centipedes, although with Simple Sidearms and painless weapon swapping maybe I should reconsider that.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Oh, welp. I just capture if I want someone.

Unrelated: I'm 2 years into my current game and it's almost unplayable. There's a ton of lag for some reason. If anyone has some time and knows about this stuff, can you take a look at the mods I'm using and what may be causing it? My base isn't even that large at the moment:

I had no issue on my previous game. I've already tried wiping all of the animals off of the map.

This is my current base:

Not even that large of a colony yet.

Or if there's a way to see what's causing it in game that would be great. The error log is empty even on verbose mode.

Thanks!

edit: also only about %20 of my cpu is being used

Well it seems like there's some job causing it. I set all of my pawns to stay just on the inside of my base and all of the lag went away, so it has something to do with my farm or the new giant farm I built. Hmm

I killed all of my animals for nothing :(

Garfu fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 27, 2017

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

edit: woops

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I seriously haven't built a turret since 2015 and really dislike the elements of the game that force them, which is pretty much mechanoid centipedes, although with Simple Sidearms and painless weapon swapping maybe I should reconsider that.

I've found that if you set them up a decent distance away from an ingress point they are super effective although a bit slow too fire. With my current set up I have yet to have anybody get close enough to blow up one of my turrets.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Garfu posted:

Oh, welp. I just capture if I want someone.

Unrelated: I'm 2 years into my current game and it's almost unplayable. There's a ton of lag for some reason. If anyone has some time and knows about this stuff, can you take a look at the mods I'm using and what may be causing it? My base isn't even that large at the moment:

I had no issue on my previous game. I've already tried wiping all of the animals off of the map.

This is my current base:

Not even that large of a colony yet.

Or if there's a way to see what's causing it in game that would be great. The error log is empty even on verbose mode.

Thanks!

edit: also only about %20 of my cpu is being used

Well it seems like there's some job causing it. I set all of my pawns to stay just on the inside of my base and all of the lag went away, so it has something to do with my farm or the new giant farm I built. Hmm

I killed all of my animals for nothing :(

If you get this again, try turning on Dev mode in the options. I don't know what the problem actually is (Presumably one of our many many mods, my list is fairly different and just as long :v:) but when this happened to me and I looked in Dev mode the debug was telling me that the game was attempting what looked like several tens of thousands of pathing or object searching per second, but whatever it was seemed not to exist. That may explain why it goes away when you restrict people, because they don't try (and fail) to reach [Thing] in the first place.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

If you get this again, try turning on Dev mode in the options. I don't know what the problem actually is (Presumably one of our many many mods, my list is fairly different and just as long :v:) but when this happened to me and I looked in Dev mode the debug was telling me that the game was attempting what looked like several tens of thousands of pathing or object searching per second, but whatever it was seemed not to exist. That may explain why it goes away when you restrict people, because they don't try (and fail) to reach [Thing] in the first place.

So I have dev mode on, but I'm failing to see where I would get that information. I have the log open and verbose mode is on but there are no red errors.

Also I've had that issue before that you're talking about. I don't seem to be getting any log spam now

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Are any of your pawns "Standing" and refuse to move unless you draft them? I was using the cthulhu mod once and had a chest appear on the map, but the chest has to be activated from a specific spot, which happened to be a wall. My haulers were all trying to open the chest, realized there was a wall there, stood for a tick, then tried to open the chest again. Repeat forever. There might be something blocked somewhere on the base

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I've found that if you set them up a decent distance away from an ingress point they are super effective although a bit slow too fire. With my current set up I have yet to have anybody get close enough to blow up one of my turrets.

Oh no I'm not saying I suddenly like turrets again, I'm saying Simple Sidearms makes it more practical to carry situational poo poo like EMP grenades and molotovs so I bet stunning them, setting them on fire and then finishing them off is more practical to actually do than to read about.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

apparently she agreed because she started an affair with my miner the following month. her dumbass fiancee has not come back and if he does he can go gently caress himself.

I'm guessing it was an arranged marriage.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Danaru posted:

Are any of your pawns "Standing" and refuse to move unless you draft them? I was using the cthulhu mod once and had a chest appear on the map, but the chest has to be activated from a specific spot, which happened to be a wall. My haulers were all trying to open the chest, realized there was a wall there, stood for a tick, then tried to open the chest again. Repeat forever. There might be something blocked somewhere on the base

Nope they were all working on stuff. I got completely rid of that farm and now things seem fine... weird how that was happening but I wasn't getting any log spam or anything. :shrug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Garfu posted:

yeah Prokosch got it in one, i rescued him hoping he would split because i was not really enthusiastic about keeping him around. i mean occasionally i'll be nice to marginal pawns like that; i had some empty headed 17 year old girl drop in who had pyro, but she had no incapabilities so i rescued her instead of letting her bleed out in the wilderness. she decided to join. she can be annoying when she goes on a fire starting spree, but she does most of the hauling, almost all of the cleaning, and mines in what little free time she has. so it's fine, imo, she's a decent addition to the colony.

i would not have liked handling Teal's worthless fiancee but i could have shoved him in front of an art bench until the end of time. i wouldn't have been happy about it and he probably would've been stuffed into a cryptosleep capsule once i got around to claiming or building one but i would've dealt with it. he wandered off like a loving idiot though so good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Garfu posted:

So I have dev mode on, but I'm failing to see where I would get that information. I have the log open and verbose mode is on but there are no red errors.

Also I've had that issue before that you're talking about. I don't seem to be getting any log spam now

Ah in that case it seems we've got different bugs. The thing I was talking about would be a red error so if you're not seeing that you've got something different going on from me!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I noticed this when i was looking at stack merger.

"Notes

When I was playtesting this, Stockpile Efficiency was brought to my attention. These mods do pretty much exactly the same thing (in fact we both use the same vanilla methods for the actual hauling). The main difference is in how we keep track of what can be merged. Stockpile Efficiency searches for stacks that can potentially be merged whenever a pawn is looking for something to merge. Stack Merger keeps a permanent cache of stacks that can be merged. I haven’t run any benchmarks, but I expect my mod to have a mostly constant, relatively low cpu load. Stockpile Efficiency will have no load as long as pawns don’t have time to do the hauling jobs, but when they search for things to merge the cpu load will most likely be considerably larger."

Might be a clue there. Even if its not this mod i could see how a poorly written mod effecting ai could cause havoc down the line and not get caught. So id probably start with those. If you look at the comments right now someone is complaining of massive lag.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So this game I tried to do ranching simulator 3000 during a zombie land scenario.

300 animals. Cows, Labrador, pigs, alpaca, muffalo, chickens, bears and predatory cats. Just a massive herd. It has gotten to the point where I can't feed them all.

Sure, I can slaughter them to more manageable numbers. Or I can use them as a locust herd, moving from raider camp to raider camp.

At this point I don't even need to get the colonists involved. I just set zoning and the animals charge. The defenders only kill one or two, that is with lucky headshots. Any animal downed is quickly covered by 8 more animals to absorb the bullets. My 15 colonists just walk behind and tend the injured.

Once the raid is over I settle for a bit. The predatory animals eat the deceased defenders, then start stripping the map of wildlife. The grazers eat vegetation while my colonists tend to the wounded and recruit any downed pirates.

Once the map is exhausted, we break down the base, scout out a new location, then I drop pod a scouting team to the next site. They prep the area while the remaining colonists herd my horde into the sunset.

The zombie hordes died long ago. They were eaten by my dogs.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Coolguye posted:

I've said it before, but it always bears repeating: Any fighting you can do with turrets, you SHOULD do with turrets. If a pawn gets hit, they require a bed, medicine, and prayer to get better. The last one in the hopes that they don't get an infection from their wounds. If a turret gets hit, it requires some dork with the Construction labor enabled to make welder noises for 15 minutes. If a pawn gets hit hard, they could require anything from expensive prostheses to a hole in the ground and entire labor re-alignment to kinda sorta handle. If a turret gets hit hard, they require 170 steel and 3 components to be good as new. I don't care how much you don't like a turret's accuracy or its damage profile. It does damage and eliminates threats at practically no risk to you. Use them. Love them. Never let them go.

and on this subject I'll like to recommend this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730528968 for those that aren't overly concerned about having TOO good of a deathfortress.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Pro tip for cthulhu mod players: don't cast Dagon's wealth spell early on, it SUPER throws off the raid difficulty

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Keep your eyes closed Marion!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fun fact: apparently the Eerie Tree can spread, I'm gonna see if I can get a nice orchard of malevolent glowing red whispering evil trees :cthulhu:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

While the steam sale is going on, are there any other games like this anybody would recommend? Im really digging this game more than i thought i would. Ive got clockwork empires and prison architect. I havent tried clockwork yet and PA is really good if anybody somehow missed it. I guess banished is sorta in this vein but its really easy and there arent any events or raids or anything to shake it up. Its probably pretty cheap in the sale, but dont expect too much out of it. After you find the formula to succeed thats pretty much it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've heard a lot of good things about Factorio

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/Factorio/

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

trying to get the cheevos in Banished adds a lot to the playtime

prison architect sucks and is nothing like rimworld
factorio is fine but nothing like rimworld

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

Fun fact: apparently the Eerie Tree can spread, I'm gonna see if I can get a nice orchard of malevolent glowing red whispering evil trees :cthulhu:

I've never tried to chop the tree but I see it's an option... but I'd expect something absolutely horrible to happen. Either that, or maybe you get some cool wood that you make into pews that whisper at you during the sermon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Efexeye posted:

trying to get the cheevos in Banished adds a lot to the playtime

prison architect sucks and is nothing like rimworld
factorio is fine but nothing like rimworld

Yeah Prison Architect surprised me, it looked neat and fun and it really is not. It's more fun to hear about and to see the occasional demo of than it is to actually play it.