Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Jordan's always hatin'

You nerds calm, down take 5, and go get a drink of water.

You even upset the dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
lol Russia

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

evilweasel posted:

One other thing jumped out at me from the original article that started this: that California voted down a drug price control referendum following a sustained campaign against it. If I were a Democrat in the legislature that would scare the poo poo out of me contemplating voting for single payer and suggest to me that voters wouldn't actually back me once republicans started ranting about death panels or whatever with a big bankroll to fund the ads.
That mention is misleading as hell because prop 61, the drug price control referendum you mentioned, had massive issues in its wording that probably would have hosed California instead of doing anything to change drug prices. The core of the bill was a provision that CA public health agencies would be forced to buy drugs from pharmaceutical companies at the same price that the VA pays for them. Note the wording on that. It's not that the pharma companies would have to sell their drugs at that price, it's that CA public health agencies have to buy drugs at that price. If the pharma companies say "tough poo poo, that price is too low, we're not selling"? There'd be nothing the state could do about it. It actively harmed the state's ability to negotiate prices.

I will vote for virtually anything that fucks over pharma companies and even I had to vote against that pile of poo poo. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 27, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/879513705792151552

https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/879514345171951617

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hellblazer187 posted:

What about just offering Medicaid to anyone with a buy in, not to exceed $5k/year. It's not "NHS IMMEDIATELY!" but it would be a huge benefit to people.

Regardless of whatever the system, it would need a tax increase to pay for it, so it still has the 2/3s hurdle. Additionally, right now, there are a lot of other issues regarding how healthcare funding is broken up, and they would need both state constitutional amendments and federal cooperation before they could consider merging Medicaid/Medical/CHIP into a single system, and that would be a per-requisite before they could start expanding it to include new people like under a single payer plan.

Also, that would be a public option system, and it feels like this thread has now become hostile to that proposal, even though it would be far easier to implement at a state or federal level, compared to single payer.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Hellblazer187 posted:

What about just offering Medicaid to anyone with a buy in, not to exceed $5k/year. It's not "NHS IMMEDIATELY!" but it would be a huge benefit to people.

It would be a massive success as far as providing healthcare is concerned - much moreso than the ACA. The Republicans don't want that to happen because they're bad people.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

SB562 specifically has provisions to help retrain and get new jobs for the people who'd lose their jobs. Your next point, good. gently caress health insurance companies. Your next point, good. gently caress people who profit from health insurance companies.

You know who's suffering? Sick and dying people without health insurance, which in California, is millions of people. On balance, single payer will be an enormous benefit, and I don't really give a poo poo about some potential collateral damage to rent seekers.

No real people will suffer from the switch. The system will be more straightforward and easier for everyone. The damage will be minimal compared to the ongoing status quo. There's literally no reason not to do it unless you've got your head so far up your own rear end you think that Obamacare is all we need.

Lol retraining is not going to be good enough I'm loving sorry!

Do you know how little jobs we have in this country? Do you know how bad unemployment is going to be 5 to 10 years from now?

These are probably going to be of the few jobs LEFT in the entire nation in the next 20 years. We're going to face 50% unemployment rate before I die. Destroying the few remaining good paying jobs in this country isn't a good idea.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Lol retraining is not going to be good enough I'm loving sorry!

Do you know how little jobs we have in this country? Do you know how bad unemployment is going to be 5 to 10 years from now?

These are probably going to be of the few jobs LEFT in the entire nation in the next 20 years. We're going to face 50% unemployment rate before I die. Destroying the few remaining good paying jobs in this country isn't a good idea.

Come on, if you're going to do this, at least do a good job. Go look up Yug's posting, that's the good poo poo.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes, I'm sure Pelosi is coordinating with the state assembly to give you single payer blue balls.

I know, it's not like she's busy with anything on the national level at all....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/879514085620166656

that is disturbingly plausible but nobody seems to care about him fortunately

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I like how the Netherlands rated Obama so high regardless of his anti-privacy regulation.

I guess it reflects badly upon the Netherlands too because we're bad at that stuff.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, that would be a public option system, and it feels like this thread has now become hostile to that proposal, even though it would be far easier to implement at a state or federal level, compared to single payer.

Yeah for me I'm fine either way. Expand coverage, make it work. Single payer is great and I'd prefer that but if the dems could do a public option I'd be pleased as punch.

TheScott2K posted:

It would be a massive success as far as providing healthcare is concerned - much moreso than the ACA. The Republicans don't want that to happen because they're bad people.

Oh, of course the GOP would never do it. I'm just talking about dem messaging/platform going forward.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We're about to bomb syria again apparently.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/879516406387290112

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cool, lets bomb another empty airfield.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
poll: is this threads healthcare chat better than the healthcare threads healthcare chat

we are about to bomb syria

https://twitter.com/stevekopack/status/879516419309936640

lol holy gently caress beaten

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lemming posted:

Yeah man, you're right. All those sick and dying uninsured people will be completely hosed if they get free, quality health care.

It'll be easy! Easy! Everyone could have single payer right loving now if only the drat establishment wasn't getting in the way.

Who gives a gently caress about Prop98, right? Single Payer is just so easy. I'm sure there won't be any complexity involved with transitioning a single state to Single Payer, and if they do run into hiccups, they can look to the many other states who have gone down this path. It's simple y'all, want it, and it'll happen. Nobody who currently has good insurance will find themselves with different coverage gaps or a meaningful decrease in quality of care.... because healthcare is the most basic poo poo since pumpkin spice lattes.

It's an empty bill that's being pingponged around because, as the President will tell you, Healthcare is terribly complex and nobody has bothered to figure poo poo out. It's fine though, we should ram it through for a great progressive victory, gently caress the lives it'll impact. We'll handle the messy details later.

:ssh: maybe the people who insist on more detail than the tagline of "medicare for all" saw this coming and were trying to help instead of piss on progressive dreams :ssh:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm sure some empty hangars are shaking in their boots.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FizFashizzle posted:

When did we stop?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Paracaidas posted:

It'll be easy! Easy! Everyone could have single payer right loving now if only the drat establishment wasn't getting in the way.

Who gives a gently caress about Prop98, right? Single Payer is just so easy. I'm sure there won't be any complexity involved with transitioning a single state to Single Payer, and if they do run into hiccups, they can look to the many other states who have gone down this path. It's simple y'all, want it, and it'll happen. Nobody who currently has good insurance will find themselves with different coverage gaps or a meaningful decrease in quality of care.... because healthcare is the most basic poo poo since pumpkin spice lattes.

It's an empty bill that's being pingponged around because, as the President will tell you, Healthcare is terribly complex and nobody has bothered to figure poo poo out. It's fine though, we should ram it through for a great progressive victory, gently caress the lives it'll impact. We'll handle the messy details later.

:ssh: maybe the people who insist on more detail than the tagline of "medicare for all" saw this coming and were trying to help instead of piss on progressive dreams :ssh:

Give me a loving break there's been mulitiple fully fleshed out MfA bills at both the state and federal level and nobody says it''s simple.

It's telling that you had to make a giant strawman on this.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cool, lets bomb another empty airfield.

Here's hoping they miss and atcually hit some VX.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone find the clip of trump talking about how stupid it is to telegraph your military actions.

Like I'm torn between the two outcomes from this horrible, pointless, stupid response to another civilian atrocity.

Either we have a red line moment after he refuses to go through with anything and we get to hear people explain why this is different than obama

OR

They just get everyone away from the airfield and nothing gets done just like last time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KickerOfMice posted:

Here's hoping they miss and atcually hit some VX.

Or some Russians and Vlad releases the piss tape.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I guess Trump wants another jingoistic bombing poll bump to salve his ego

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Faustian Bargain posted:

I'm sure some empty hangars are shaking in their boots.

Nah, actually those are children shaking. Hopefully we can keep the number of those dying below four this time! :911:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/PJVogt/status/878447461420986369

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

That is amazingly accurate

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Reminder that California taxpayers pay billions more in federal taxes than the state receives back in federal spending. We're basically underwriting the Medicaid system for all the red states. If we're going to pass single payer here we need the feds on board, either by cutting our taxes so the state can in turn raise taxes to pay for it (lol fat chance), or by committing to helping fund it with federal dollars. 526 assumed CA's Medicaid dollars would be rolled into the single payer system, but hell the AHCA is proposing to *cut* medicaid. Nevermind that no waiver has been granted to use medicaid dollars for a single payer system.

The *last* thing we need is for a half baked single payer plan with unsecured funding to get passed, put the state back in the red, and give conservatives double ammo: single payer bankrupts states and lol CA is proof that liberals can't govern.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Filthy Hans posted:

I guess Trump wants another jingoistic bombing poll bump to salve his ego

pretty much, he wants a ratings bump and to look tough again. then he will go back to sucking off putin.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Universal Healthcare would drive down medical costs tremendously. Think of it like Wal- Mart , the reason Wal Mart is able to sell at such low prices is that in their position they are so large that companies must meet their demands or suffer from loss of business. A good example of this is Vlassic pickles.

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Basically, when you only have one company you can sell to then you have to meet that companies demands or go out of business.So people saying "Oh Medicare for all wouldn't work" , yeah it would if there were no longer private insurance companies.

It's why medical costs are lower in countries with Universal Healthcare. If you add in the fact that some US States have the same GDP and economic power as all of Europe then yeah it absolutely would work.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

Yeah I'm sure that smothering the bill and killing it before it can get to the point where they can have discussion on it and amend it to flesh out those details and fix those problems is what someone who was very supportive of it but concerned about details would do, and not someone who doesn't support it but was looking for a fig leaf to try to make it go away

You're a genius you see right through to the noble heart of establishment Democrats, who have always had our best interests in mind

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

No you see, hes actually trying to understand facebook's role in everyone's daily life to help combat fake news

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There is a non zero chance that Zuck is a poorly disguised alien.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
E: nevermind.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
I've said before that Zuckerberg has all the charisma of a filthy manhole cover and I stand by it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Universal Healthcare would drive down medical costs tremendously. Think of it like Wal- Mart , the reason Wal Mart is able to sell at such low prices is that in their position they are so large that companies must meet their demands or suffer from loss of business. A good example of this is Vlassic pickles.

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Basically, when you only have one company you can sell to then you have to meet that companies demands or go out of business.So people saying "Oh Medicare for all wouldn't work" , yeah it would if there were no longer private insurance companies.

It's why medical costs are lower in countries with Universal Healthcare. If you add in the fact that some US States have the same GDP and economic power as all of Europe then yeah it absolutely would work.

I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing that single payer or public option would result in the total cost of medical care in this nation going up, at least on a per capita basis

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Family Values posted:

Reminder that California taxpayers pay billions more in federal taxes than the state receives back in federal spending. We're basically underwriting the Medicaid system for all the red states. If we're going to pass single payer here we need the feds on board, either by cutting our taxes so the state can in turn raise taxes to pay for it (lol fat chance), or by committing to helping fund it with federal dollars. 526 assumed CA's Medicaid dollars would be rolled into the single payer system, but hell the AHCA is proposing to *cut* medicaid. Nevermind that no waiver has been granted to use medicaid dollars for a single payer system.

The *last* thing we need is for a half baked single payer plan with unsecured funding to get passed, put the state back in the red, and give conservatives double ammo: single payer bankrupts states and lol CA is proof that liberals can't govern.

This argument only makes sense if single payer would cost more, but it would literally be cheaper for California as a whole than our current system. There's no reason not to do it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KickerOfMice posted:

I've said before that Zuckerberg has all the charisma of a filthy manhole cover and I stand by it.

Manhole covers fit in though

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

KickerOfMice posted:

I think this is mostly correct, apart from that ze zuck is mostly a square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is a non zero chance that Zuck is a poorly disguised alien.

John Carpenter is remaking The Social Network?

• Locked thread