Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah it's nintendrone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more like Nintenbutt

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm a Nintendoon. I'm 1/8th Nintendo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you were 1/8th Nintendo64 you'd just be a Nintendo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i know what you mean, it's more higher-level mastery of specific systems, right? part of me always feels a little "wait it doesn't feel that way for me" when i see complaints about its randomness. in many games, i've only come across a situation where i didn't get offered at least one of the tools i need to finish the game (or at least get to the final sector) a few times. and if you get the crystal species event, that's like the instant win button :v:

at the same time, i understand the sentiment because i still remember what it felt like to be fairly confused at the game when i first played it. i wouldn't have stuck to it as well as i did without a lot of help from my friend who'd played it before.

yeah it takes a while to learn all the things you can do to turn things in your favor, but even something as simple as remembering to pause frequently to consider your options goes a long away.

Its a fantastic game, probably one of my favorites of all time. There is something very elegant and brilliant in the simplicity of the games' design

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Really Pants posted:

Actually I'd be a Nintendo8???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Nintengo to the polls.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My uncle is Nintendo, what does that make me?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

There are people who can beat ftl on hard basically every single time. Some people can even beat hard regularly without pausing. There are lots of ways to mitigate bad RNG on FTL if you know what you are doing

I've literally been killed during the first battle of the game before.

I have read all the advice. I understand how to play the game. If my attack misses 5 times in a row and the enemies doesn't, there's nothing I can do about that, and Injad to wait 60 seconds for it to play out. Once, i jumped to 4 empty systems in a row, putting me in a huge resource deficit.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Really Pants posted:

Nintendoctoroon

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have almost 50 hours in FTL and never beat it :saddowns:

I've got to the final boss multiple times, some of them even in the last phase but always got shot down.

Even unlocked the Crystal Ship by accident.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But honestly, like I said before, it's less the "difficulty" than the pacing of the gameplay that makes it tedious.

I'll probably keep coming back to it forever because I'm such a scifi junky and I love everything about the game except the experience of playing it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 27, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jay Rust posted:

a goddamn liar from my second grade homeroom

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm a Nintendoon. I'm 1/8th Nintendo

no that's called the gamecube you racist

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lmao at the last couple pages, a real fan has a snes plugged into the tv

got my super game boy set up with wario land

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqX1wxaB7I4

I really love what Polygon has become.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I don't trust people that wear beige suits.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Able to make unsubstantiated claims about what Nintendo is working on?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Devil May Cry is hard

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Niecetendo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When I see a fine honey at the club

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

When I see a fine honey at the club

Updating Barret from Mr. T to Wesley Snipes is one of the changes I'm really looking forward to seeing play out in the remake, for better or worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Devil May Cry is hard

Yup

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

I've literally been killed during the first battle of the game before.

I have read all the advice. I understand how to play the game. If my attack misses 5 times in a row and the enemies doesn't, there's nothing I can do about that, and Injad to wait 60 seconds for it to play out. Once, i jumped to 4 empty systems in a row, putting me in a huge resource deficit.

You can try to run away

Like I said there have been people who have done poo poo like 50+ winning runs on hard on a row, which implies there are ways to get out of even the most disastrous RNG rolls

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ive been playing Nuclear Throne and its pretty fun. But how the hell are you supposed to beat that Lil Hunter??? he destroys me every single time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ometeotl posted:

I don't trust people that wear beige suits.

You don't trust...obama?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

You can try to run away

Like I said there have been people who have done poo poo like 50+ winning runs on hard on a row, which implies there are ways to get out of even the most disastrous RNG rolls

You can't run away until your jump drive is charged...

But I'm really curious now. Do you have more information or links? Should I just google it?

When I googled it before, all I found was really condescending stuff...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
She's a shoe-in for the next Sega All-Stars Racing game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

when will my copy unlock dammit sony

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

weird to see a japanese videogame with such small tits

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

babypolis posted:

Ive been playing Nuclear Throne and its pretty fun. But how the hell are you supposed to beat that Lil Hunter??? he destroys me every single time

1: You can see him before he comes down, there'll be a circle on the ground where he's going to land. Don't let him land on you or you'll be starting off crippled
2: Kill him fast. If you don't have the gear to kill him fast, you geared up wrong. A good combination of guns can wipe him in one or two cycles of him teleporting. The cop enemies will keep spawning until he's done.
3: Run away when you kill him as he self-destructs and getting killed by that feels real bad.

He's probably the hardest of the bosses and the one most likely to wipe your run but like all the other Nuclear Throne bosses he's not so bad once you know his gimmicks.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

You can't run away until your jump drive is charged...

But I'm really curious now. Do you have more information or links? Should I just google it?

When I googled it before, all I found was really condescending stuff...

this guy is super good at the game, check him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GBd5AQb8Y

I cant find the run I mentioned but it def exists

Kestrel A is a good ship if you want to deal with less RNG bullshit because it starts with an endgame quality weapon

babypolis fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 27, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

this guy is super good at the game, check him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GBd5AQb8Y

I cant find the run I mentioned but it def exists

Literally the first thing he does is restart the game because he want's a better exit location.

But I'm officially convinced. it seems that with the proper skills, luck is a much smaller factor than it seems to a less skilled player. I still don't really enjoy a lot of the gameplay, and all the searching I've done trying to find advice just seems to reveal a toxic comminity of assholes, and 90% of the advice is on how to beat the final boss, not how to survive the journey there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I kind of bounced off FTL quick. But the title track is good and I still listen to it when I need instrumental music in the background while working

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

Literally the first thing he does is restart the game because he want's a better exit location.

But I'm officially convinced. it seems that with the proper skills, luck is a much smaller factor than it seems to a less skilled player. I still don't really enjoy a lot of the gameplay, and all the searching I've done trying to find advice just seems to reveal a toxic comminity of assholes, and 90% of the advice is on how to beat the final boss, not how to survive the journey there.

Yeah but hes playing on hard with no pause, you will never have to do that kind of stuff to beat a normal game

Most of the advice is based around beating the final boss because thats the real challenge, once you get better at the game you realize the entire journey to the final boss is about accumulating resources and tools to beat all of the dirty tricks it throws at you. But heres some basic advice:

-Pause all the fuckin time, and take the time to consider your options. Even if everything is going to poo poo theres usually something you can to salvage your run, if you pause and think about your options carefully
-Learn what kind of upgrades and weapons you need to prioritize. Hacking and Teleporter are both excellent systems and you should always buy them when you can. Some of the best weapons are the Burst Laser 2, Flak 1, Ion Bomb
-Taking out missiles on the enemy ship should almost always be a priority. Consider getting a drone system if it comes with a free defense drone, because being able to not care about missiles does wonder for your chances of survival
-Upgrade shields to get a second pip ASAP
-You dont need to have every system powered up all the time. For example you dont need power on the medbay most of the time, and a pro strat is to turn off oxygen when its at a 100%
-Upgrading doors can be a real lifesaver if you have a weak crew or your ship is undermanned
-Dont send your dudes to put out fires, instead vent the oxygen from the room
-Stay the gently caress away from any space spiders

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's good advice. And I'm not trying to be a dick. I actually know all that stuff. Except hacking cause I haven't played Advanced Edition at all.

Again, my biggest problem with the game is that it's boring/tedious until it's hard.

After reading about it for the last hour, it definitly seems like if I studied a bunch of stuff and practiced a lot, I would be able to deal with most bad situations. but it doesn't make sitting there waiting 11 seconds for a laser to fire more fun when you have to do it so many times in a row. I tried watching several streamers who are super good and even with the videos on double speed, all of the boring fights are still boring. The complex fights, sure, they're constantly pausing and microing stuff, but half the time they're just waiting for weapons to charge.

But thanks for helping educate me and change my mind about it having too much luck.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ah well, its not for everyone. I dont think I ever found the fights boring even if sometimes you are just waiting for cooldowns

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, since I die by the third or fourth sector every time, a vast majority of my playtime is in sector 1 and 2 with very few upgrades and the starting weapons. Yeah, plenty of times I've managed to do some good upgrading and sometimes I even get new weapons, but by percentage, probably 60% of may play time is tooling around in the exact same starting ship setup. As soon as I get something cool, I encounter some new threat I'm not experienced with and I die, new cool toy gets taken away, and I'm back to the same boring start of the game. The last time I got decently far, I had my shields and my engines upgraded pretty well, had gotten several extra crew members, and had a second pulse laser. I encountered a ship with 3 levels of shielding and my missile missed 5 times in a row and i was out of missile. The enemy missiles took out my systems one by one. Back to the start. Haven't gotten that far again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snak posted:

I encountered a ship with 3 levels of shielding and my missile missed 5 times in a row and i was out of missile. The enemy missiles took out my systems one by one.

that's why i like boarding micro so much, 100% hit rate :getin:

honestly some of the hardest enemies for me in ftl are the autopilot ships that you can't claim victory over by killing the occupants/getting them to surrender

• Locked thread