Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Sindai posted:

Weird, I'm sure that I talked to the android couple after I came to the flooded city and saw that intro cutscene, but I failed the quest because I didn't have the money at the time.

Yeah my first time through I talked to the couple at this point, and then did the point of no return, realized I'd just failed all these sidequests, so I reloaded. Talked to the couple again, did some junk to advance their quest, then had to kill the golden bots to be able to talk to them on the next phase. It took a while but I don't think it was 90 minutes or anything.

Dabir posted:

You can kill the targeted enemies without starting the next story mission, you do have to manually do a thing to kick it off.

yeah seconding this. I mean it uh, doesn't really make sense with how urgent the context is, for you to wander off flower-hunting or stamp collecting or whatever, but you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Anyway, as soon as the title card for the area drops the Wandering Couple vanishes from existence, never to be seen again. Turns out that particular cutscene is the trigger for failing that specific quest. We’re meant to come here before there’s an indication this new area exists (and it receives no fanfare or opening cutscene if entered early) and complete that sidequest. It’s really dumb! This game has some exceptionally bad issues with sidequest pacing and time limitations on them with no rhyme or reason. But I suppose that’s just part of the complete experience of NieR: Automata.

That's weird, in both my playthroughs I went right up to the point where you have to push a button to advance the plot after beating up those machines you've been avoiding before grinding up the stuff I needed for the Wandering Couple.

The Dark Id posted:

That leads to a sheer cliff. I mean it doesn’t look like a sheer cliff from here. I’m pretty sure I could climb that fairly easily and I’m not even a cyborg, much less a high performance android.

See that rock with the shade on the left? It has a little rock on the ground before it. If you stand on it, then double jump into the larger rock and then airdash at the peak of your jump, you can with some luck dash all the way up the cliff through some weird physics glitch. Only works if you've got a decently long dash so stock up on the evade range plus chips.

Sure you end up humping a rock like an idiot for a while, but it beats traversing that underground maze and then slipping off at the top and having to do it all over again. :negative:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

My interpretation was that A and B are different events in what is actually the same ending. Immediately after those endings happen, Kaine goes nuts and you get to choose between ending C or D. So there's really only two paths, C and D. I believe ending D is canon

The fact that Emil just called Kaine's shack 'a place very special to him' modestly implies Ending C, I think.

Although I guess the 'him' could be Emil himself. Having a desert full of giant yourselves is a recipe for pronoun trouble.

e: Yeah, on further thought, ignore above garbage post by trash man, Emil is definitely talking about original flavor Top Boy and we are very possibly living in a Nier-Daddyless universe.

Explosions fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Explosions posted:

The fact that Emil just called Kaine's shack 'a place very special to him' modestly implies Ending C, I think.

Although I guess the 'him' could be Emil himself. Having a desert full of giant yourselves is a recipe for pronoun trouble.

e: Yeah, on further thought, ignore above garbage post by trash man, Emil is definitely talking about original flavor Top Boy and we are very possibly living in a Nier-Daddyless universe.

Emil cared more about Nier than he did Kaine, so the fact that his special place is Kaine's house and not Niers is a hint that yeah, this is ending D territory.

On the other hand, now he can't really remember Kaine either. :(.

Also I totally was able to get the wandering couple quest after the title screen. I wonder if it's a console vs PC thing or something.

And I went past the point of no return right before collecting that last Lunar Tear in the flooded city. That was very annoying. Especially since when I finally completed it I was so happy to hear Kaine's theme - it's so good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Geemer posted:

See that rock with the shade on the left? It has a little rock on the ground before it. If you stand on it, then double jump into the larger rock and then airdash at the peak of your jump, you can with some luck dash all the way up the cliff through some weird physics glitch. Only works if you've got a decently long dash so stock up on the evade range plus chips.

Sure you end up humping a rock like an idiot for a while, but it beats traversing that underground maze and then slipping off at the top and having to do it all over again. :negative:

Spear launcher helps you a lot too.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I mean, there's always a marker on the map for the unactivated access point once the giant hole gets made, so there's at least one reason to go to the Flooded City before the main mission points you there. I ended up there by a different way, though. Shortly after the entrance was made, I botched a jump, fell into the crater, and got wrecked by the connected-sphere machines. Out of recovery items, almost out of health, not having saved for a while, and not used to the new terrain, I just started running in what I hoped was the direction of the Resistance Camp. I managed to reach that sewer tunnel, and then I just went in for some reason. After clearing the access point, I saved and walked back to the Camp (didn't have Transport yet, of course).

Anyways, that's when I started carrying at least 20 of each health recovery item at all times. And also knew to explore that new area before the main mission went there. Still didn't clear all the sidequests though, as the point of no return managed to catch me by surprise anyways.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Seeing the tent and Lunar Tears hit me straight in the feels when I played the game. That, and the music of course. This is one of the reasons why I recommend people to play the original first.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

That's weird, in both my playthroughs I went right up to the point where you have to push a button to advance the plot after beating up those machines you've been avoiding before grinding up the stuff I needed for the Wandering Couple.

I'd tried to do it that way but I couldn't find the entire route from that ledge to the area by the tear (though I did learn you can jump from the ground back onto that path)

What I did was to go onto a ledge that's nearby-ish off to the right and then use that chain of jumps to get to the tear.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

Emil is such a good Top Boy :unsmith:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tazgirl18992 posted:

Emils are such good Top Boys :unsmith:

Fixed that for you.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So, do we take that image of Emil's War literally and assume the initial alien war had direct alien combat and no machines?

The Dark Id posted:

And so beings the Emil’s Memories sidequest

I’ll be honestly, I played this game as soon as it was out on PC

I need to stay here for a while. you go on ahead.

that concludes are time with Emil's between games backstory

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so, what, all 26 (I assume) endings of this game are going to turn out to be relevant someday?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Glazius posted:

...so, what, all 26 (I assume) endings of this game are going to turn out to be relevant someday?

Yes, of course. It turns out that the Mackerel combined with 2B to make the ultimate Fish which will drown the earth in water.

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
I can hardly wait for the sequel to the ripping out your own OS chip ending.

And it'll be nice to have a resolution to the ending where you kamikaze your own base. I do wonder if the commander ever quits floating about with a stern look.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

please don't do this

the thread was so good about not spoiling things, too

Anyway, I think I just kinda stared for a bit when I finally realized that it was Kaine's house when I played. Taro Yoko is ridiculous, and I hope he writes distressingly weird and surprisingly emotional video games for a while yet.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

I think my favorite Emil in this, apart from Classic Emil of course, is the one in the middle at the bottom. All the other ones are these giant spider looking things and whatnot, but that one looks like the front half of some old-timey tractor flipped backwards with a spear attached to it. I can't imagine it's all that effective, but he's trying his best!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And the aliens, so impressed with Emil's spherical head and cobbled together army of himselves, decided to make their army of robots just like The Top Boy. Except without the grin because the aliens are dicks.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Goliath be like:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sage Grimm posted:

Except without the grin because the aliens are dicks.

I think we already established this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I guess now I can float the theory that the machine's heads are based on Emil?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Only based?.. he never did say exactly how many copies there were

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think my favorite Emil in this, apart from Classic Emil of course, is the one in the middle at the bottom. All the other ones are these giant spider looking things and whatnot, but that one looks like the front half of some old-timey tractor flipped backwards with a spear attached to it. I can't imagine it's all that effective, but he's trying his best!

I think maybe this one eventually became Emil's merchant cart

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I've been reading the Drakengard 3 LP over again from the archive and just found some pretty spot-on posting in the Nier 2 speculation station:

Verant posted:

Man, I hope we get to see crazy quad-arms Emil from Ending E in the sequel.

Pretty close

Waffleman_ posted:

Let me tell you about Platinum and hidden dodge/guard mechanics.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This was about the point that I became convinced Ending D was the canon one for Nier, yes.
But if Ending D happened, should we really have the Iron Pipe and its Weapon Story? Because that one is clearly written by Yonah for Father Nier.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Accord took it but dropped it into a sewer.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This was about the point that I became convinced Ending D was the canon one for Nier, yes.
But if Ending D happened, should we really have the Iron Pipe and its Weapon Story? Because that one is clearly written by Yonah for Father Nier.

The original Father Nier, from the 21st century, without who the Shades wouldn't have existed. I think Ending D only erased the Replicant.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will any cold ones be cracked open with the Top Boys?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
"Anyway, as soon as the title card for the area drops the Wandering Couple vanishes from existence, never to be seen again. Turns out that particular cutscene is the trigger for failing that specific quest. We’re meant to come here before there’s an indication this new area exists (and it receives no fanfare or opening cutscene if entered early) and complete that sidequest. It’s really dumb!"

I'm almost certain I did this quest while getting to this area only when the plot sent me. (I did give the couple the money first though )

Between these aliens, persona's Mara and the latest Berserk issue.... Japanese sure love their dick-monsters.

Well, western aliens in Alien do look like dick too.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

What are those UFOs from? I swear I've seen them before.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Sage Grimm posted:

Except without the grin because the aliens are dicks.

I mean, Emil came out of a regular round featureless robot head. What if all of them have grinning Emil heads underneath?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can't remember if this was something actually confirmed by Yoko Taro or if it's just apocryphal, but apparently Ending C is canon for Papa Nier while Ending D is canon for Bro Nier.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I can't remember if this was something actually confirmed by Yoko Taro or if it's just apocryphal, but apparently Ending C is canon for Papa Nier while Ending D is canon for Bro Nier.

I think that's what he said each would have chosen.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jet Jaguar posted:

I think the UFOs and aliens are just generic aliens in japan, like using the Grays/Sectoids/whatever and flying saucers over here

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

LordAba posted:

Goliath be like:

Dr. Citan approves.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

IIRC, they look a lot like the UFOs from one of the Silent Hill games?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Arp1033 posted:

IIRC, they look a lot like the UFOs from one of the Silent Hill games?

They look like just some generic ufo design to me, much like the aliens are also supposed to be completely generic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're the generic chicken feeder style ufo , popular in the 50s after one got 'photographed' by this guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Adamski

Everyone knows it's really a nazi ship though, not aliens.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 27, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Qrr posted:

Dr. Citan approves.

Of all the games Id has lp'd, I don't think any of them have managed to top this in sheer stupidity.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Momomo posted:

Of all the games Id has lp'd, I don't think any of them have managed to top this in sheer stupidity.

The slightly shaky translation and being only half-complete when they shipped probably didn't do it any favours, but given that the aim of the game seems to have been 'distilled giant robot show' I think the odds might have been stacked against it from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I love Xenogears, because it's like you're having a fever dream after chugging a thing of nyquil and shotgunning a random assortment of mecha anime. It is so quintessentially 90's.

• Locked thread