Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Autism as a super power is beyond trite but The Accountant at least made it fun by translating it into rear end-kicking powers on top of being really good at math.

They should do a crossover with Chocolate for the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Autism as a super power is beyond trite but The Accountant at least made it fun by translating it into rear end-kicking powers on top of being really good at math.

Frankly, if Dustin Hoffman isn't in it ima take a pass

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think the movie ever made it seem like his ability to fight had anything to do with Autism. It made him good at being an accountant but the fighting was all from the day in, day out training by his father.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Somehow The Accountant totally flew under my radar and I've been imagining Matt Damon's character from The Informant.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think the movie ever made it seem like his ability to fight had anything to do with Autism. It made him good at being an accountant but the fighting was all from the day in, day out training by his father.

My take on it was that it very much did affect his fighting skills and his preparation.

Fargo season 3 is done and Better Call Saul is done so as far as movies that have insane adversity between brothers I'm watching The Accountant tonight.

Will report back with less caustic remarks and a better insight on it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

If that's Nolan's pattern, I guess we're getting Memento II in a couple years.

Isn't there a (Nolan-less) remake of Memento that was announced not too long ago?

Guy Mann posted:

How about Brad Pitt as an autistic astronaut who has to rescue his dad, non-autistic astronaut Tommy Lee Jones, who was captured by aliens around Neptune?

http://deadline.com/2017/06/tommy-lee-jones-brad-pitt-ad-astra-james-gray-new-regency-1202119181/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TDKR had a happy ending that made edgy comic book nerds angry. 'S'cool

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TDKR is much better on rewatch. If you've only ever seen it in theaters, give it another shot. It's not great, but it's definitely entertaining.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TDKR is much better on rewatch. If you've only ever seen it in theaters, give it another shot. It's not great, but it's definitely entertaining.

I don't really get out to the theater much but saw this one with a good friend after helping him move house.

It's always going to be a fond memory and my main criticisms of it are the same for Interstellar. Audio was proper hosed.

I loved Bane and Bane-voice as well as Bat-voice

The GCPD coming out of the sewers looking like a bunch of swells was irritating but I should watch it again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It has some annoying plot holes but nothing that terrible. I think Batman Begins is actually his weakest film. Not that it's bad but it feels like it's his first film, when it's not.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gonna use Nolan-Batman chat to once again plug Batman: Gotham Knight.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, they did that at the theater I was just at. Instead of a full trailer for Dunkirk, they did 20 second trailer snippets in between all the other trailers. I thought they'd just hosed up at first, but I guess that's how they're advertising it.

Oh thank God I'm glad I wasn't misremembering that, combining multiple visits together, or whatever. It was making me really mad to see dreary World War clips, followed by whatever, followed by some more dreary World War clips, followed by something else, followed by even more dreary World War clips...

Guy Mann posted:

Autism as a super power is beyond trite

I thought it was clever that they didn't do that, though. Dude's not a crazy insane assassin because he's autistic, it's because he had a crazy military father who gave no shits about him having autism.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel like all of Nolan's movies are worse on a rewatch. The incredibly broad and explicit themes, major plot holes and on-the-nose or oddly phrased dialog stand out more every time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

syscall girl posted:

He played a corny dad but the scene where he rammed his truck through the fields to chase down that Indian drone with his daughter was amazing.

This and all the scenes with the robots in them, because the robots were great.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I can see how someone would hate the love conquers all and passes through dimensions ending to Interstellar but I kinda really like it in it's ridiculousness.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

This and all the scenes with the robots in them, because the robots were great.

Yep.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Syncopated posted:

I can see how someone would hate the love conquers all and passes through dimensions ending to Interstellar but I kinda really like it in it's ridiculousness.

I love the dumb joke with Matt Damon's character. The real monster is Mann.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I could see Matt Damon's character arc going that way from his first scene on my first viewing and I still loved every second of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Syncopated posted:

Plus IIRC "love" being an element of the universe and the concept of gravity being the "love" between different types of matter is a thing in plenty of pulpy and more reputable 70s sci-fi (it's even a thing on an episode of EXO Squad which, while a kids show was generally this attempt at like serious military epic kind of thing that mostly succeeded). So it's not an out of place thing for him to draw upon.

RBA Starblade posted:

I love the dumb joke with Matt Damon's character. The real monster is Mann.

Between that and James Franco's "I'm burning up" in the Covenant marketing scenes I think "dude enters/exits cryo-sleep and says something goofy that ends up being a prophecy of Doom" should become the sci-fi equivalent of the Wilhelm Scream.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Syncopated posted:

If it wasn't for the hosed up audio mixing, I'd love Interstellar as much as I love Inception. It's inexcusable that I can't hear Michael Caine's deathbed speech.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The organ score in Interstellar is really good, but home video/VOD releases really need to have the audio remixed so the music doesn't just blot out all dialog.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pCJxE7YH0M

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Guy Mann posted:

I think it was also slightly overshadowed by The Book of Henry coming out, being a batshit insane mess, and then people remembering that the guy who made it is the guy who is helming Episode 9.

That said I'm mostly just baffled about them replacing Lord and Miller with loving Ron Howard of all things. Boomers just keep ruining everything.

Where I should look for more of this? Don't know much about it other than that insane first trailer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Where I should look for more of this? Don't know much about it other than that insane first trailer.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a55764/book-of-henry-review/

This got posted earlier. I can certify that it is good and cool.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything went down hill after Bane beat Batman's rear end in the sewer. Holding the city hostage was just so eye-rolling and unbelievable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RedSpider posted:

Everything went down hill after Bane beat Batman's rear end in the sewer. Holding the city hostage was just so eye-rolling and unbelievable.

At that point Nolan had some kind of point to make but it wasn't happening.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Michael Nyqvist, who starred in John Wick and the Millenium Trilogy, passed away at 56.

"Be seeing you John."

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 28, 2017

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I recently rewatched it and liked it a lot as well.

Guy Mann posted:

For some reason I read this first sentence as Austin Powers added to the sequel to the Accountant.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"It's not great, but it's definitely entertaining" is not enough to get me to rewatch a drat 3-hour movie about a guy who dresses up like a bat to fight crime.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy dressed as a bat... I dig it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

http://movieweb.com/bondverse-james-bond-movie-universe-plans-rumored/

Trying to shoehorn in a pointless connection between all the Craig Bond movies is part of the reason why Spectre was such a bloated mess, have they learned nothing? You'd think trying to expand a franchise on a series that is completely reliant on a single central character would not be a great idea (unless Q has a massive underground fan base that I've never heard about?)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cacator posted:

Trying to shoehorn in a pointless connection between all the Craig Bond movies is part of the reason why Spectre was such a bloated mess, have they learned nothing? You'd think trying to expand a franchise on a series that is completely reliant on a single central character would not be a great idea (unless Q has a massive underground fan base that I've never heard about?)

Separated from the universe nonsense, I'd be onboard with action thrillers starring Jeffrey Wright or Naomie Harris.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I know that Hollywood bean-counters are probably going apeshit crazy over how much of that overseas gross they aren't getting. I'll be curious to see how things play out when a movie slaughters a market like China but dies a horrid death in North America. Will they continue to invest in foreign markets and bank less and less on American tastes, or will the fact that the overhead is still very low domestically continue to influence this weird system where big movies take a few minutes to pause the narrative to blatantly pander to China somehow and then resuming the show in an attempt to have both?

I also wonder how tastes are going to diverge among domestic and international audiences in general. For a few years now they've been kinda lucky that some of these movies just slaughter in whatever market they're in, but there's no way that lasts. cultural and economic shifts are constant and eternal.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Cacator posted:

Give me The Adventures of Scaramanga and Nick Nack.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Separated from the universe nonsense, I'd be onboard with action thrillers starring Jeffrey Wright or Naomie Harris.

Yea right, as if they wouldn't recast Leiter for a spin-off movie. Hollywood will never properly acknowledge the talents of Jeffrey Wright, just accept it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Did they learn nothing from Die Another Die trying to set up Halle Berry for her own she-Bond movies?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Did they learn nothing from Die Another Die trying to set up Halle Berry for her own she-Bond movies?

That was like 20 years ago and not a cinematic universe so, no.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea right, as if they wouldn't recast Leiter for a spin-off movie. Hollywood will never properly acknowledge the talents of Jeffrey Wright, just accept it.

A man can dream, though I'd also be pretty happy with just a Naomie Harris movie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

basic hitler posted:

this weird system where big movies take a few minutes to pause the narrative to blatantly pander to China somehow and then resuming the show

They actually got away from that with both the Transformers franchise AND the MCU.

Now they're just daring the Chinese censors to even try to block a Marvel movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

He's been a big part of Westworld which was big and expensive. It's TV, but TV's more than matching movies these days.

• Locked thread