Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

Oooh tell me more about the construction and renovation of the white house. Was it structural reinforcement or was the First Lady just going crazy with the redecorating?

It had some serious structural problems.

Like, it was dire even by the standards of this thread.

quote:

President Truman commissioned the complete rebuilding of the White House after nearly falling through the floor while having bath as hundreds of dignitaries attended a ball below him.

Members of Daughters of The American Revolutionaries partying in their finery would have been showered with water and plaster had Truman crashed through - wearing nothing but his reading glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Having just read that article, I seriously recommend everyone read that article. But, to sum, the building's last major reconstruction was in 1812, after it burned down, and some of the material had been freakin' reused. Since then it had been expanded, and a third floor tacked on with modern materials on top of the old one with all the weight being put on the interior walls...

In 1948 the White House was a terrifying architectural Frankenstein's monster, and there was a very real danger of the central portion collapsing. But it would have looked REAL bad to tear the thing down outright, which is why you see that astonishing photo of work going on inside the exterior walls.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SoundMonkey posted:

i was trying to find a friend's new house so i just typed his address into google. i mean yeah maps popped up but the first hit was a youtube walkthrough from the realtor last time it was on the market. like... wouldn't it be sorta courteous to remove that when it sells?

I identified the problem!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I think you mean Truman's grand entrance to the DAR ball was foiled by the old construction components.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

Oooh tell me more about the construction and renovation of the white house. Was it structural reinforcement or was the First Lady just going crazy with the redecorating?

They finally decided to remove Taft's corpse from the bath tub and they needed to gut most of the place to move him.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Redeye Flight posted:

1812, after it burned down

:canada:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

It had some serious structural problems.

Like, it was dire even by the standards of this thread.

:magical:

Good god. The White House is/was a McMansion (i.e. built cheaply, following whatever fads its owners had a passing interest in). It explains so much.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah that was awesome, got any more crappy historical reconstruction links?!?! :peanut:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Was crappy construction the reason that Reconstruction failed, or was it ALIENS? Next on the History channel, right after Pawnstars.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

therobit posted:

Was crappy construction the reason that Reconstruction failed, or was it ALIENS? Next on the History channel, right after Pawnstars.

let me call my buddy who knows engineered joists

i figure i can give you $15 for the whole house, take it or leave it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

Having just read that article, I seriously recommend everyone read that article. But, to sum, the building's last major reconstruction was in 1812, after it burned down, and some of the material had been freakin' reused. Since then it had been expanded, and a third floor tacked on with modern materials on top of the old one with all the weight being put on the interior walls...

In 1948 the White House was a terrifying architectural Frankenstein's monster, and there was a very real danger of the central portion collapsing. But it would have looked REAL bad to tear the thing down outright, which is why you see that astonishing photo of work going on inside the exterior walls.

It didn't burn down all the way, thanks to the tornado

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:magical:

Good god. The White House is/was a McMansion (i.e. built cheaply, following whatever fads its owners had a passing interest in). It explains so much.

Don't forget that the White House counts as a Groverhaus, due to two stays by Grover Cleveland. :grovertoot:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Don't forget that the White House counts as a Groverhaus, due to two stays by Grover Cleveland. :grovertoot:

WhiteHaus: Bulletproof Stairs

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SoundMonkey posted:

WhiteHaus: Bulletproof Stairs

Given the stupid amount of armoring inside it, I wouldn't doubt that the stairs do in fact serve a role as armor in some way.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Given the stupid amount of armoring inside it, I wouldn't doubt that the stairs do in fact serve a role as armor in some way.

from that pic of the rebuilding, it's probably load-bearing armor

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Number 10 also had massive restoration work in the 60s as by then dryrot had made the upper floors so hazardous that they had to limit the number of people.

Other wooden pillars were turning into sawdust. I think I recall reading that the paint was barely keeping them intact.

They also discovered the famous black bricks were yellow having accumulated years of soot. So they kept the look painting them black.

And then only a few years after the redo more dryrot was found and leaky plumbing forced another remodel in the 80s.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Government buildings barely keeping a respectable facade while rotting from the inside out? That's a little too on the nose.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Government built and run schools in Australia have some odd issues. The first is the gas heaters that aren't vented so spew CO into the air. The only schools that got replacements are those considered cold enough in winter otherwise you're supposed to keep a window open. The current electric ones in my workshop I don't want to turn on because I don't know the last time they where turned on and theres probably a load of super fine sawdust trapped in the back of them. Plumbing often doesn't work properly and most of the buildings where thrown up in the 60's and 70's to meet demand. There's 4-5 different designs but to fit them onto the site they'd occasionally spin them to fit. This means the admin block might be the whole way down the back of the school or if the land wasn't suitable the building will slide down the hill.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Number 10 is a fine analogy because on the outside it presents the appearance of a normal family townhouse but on the inside they've ripped out the whole street to turn it into one giant bureaucratic mess. With a cat.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

after nearly falling through the floor while having bath

This sounds awfully familiar.....

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Look great on the outside, falling down on the inside

quote:

Labour MP Ben Bradshaw has complained to the Commons authorities that "urine seems to be pouring" into his office.

The offending liquid is trailing down a corner of the area in which one of the former culture secretary's staff works. The leak is coming from a toilet upstairs, although officials insist there has been no damage.

But a spokesman for Mr Bradshaw told the BBC: "The whole office smells of urine." His staff have put a bucket in place until the problem ends. Mr Bradshaw, the MP for Exeter, tweeted: "Urine seems to be pouring through the ceiling into my Commons office for the second day running!"'

An aide told the BBC the House authorities had at first claimed it was "water that's just a bit stagnant... but the whole office smells of urine, basically". He added: "It's dripping from a corner. We've got a bucket underneath.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Two nonconsecutive stays.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

spog posted:

All of a sudden Trump move up his London trip to today.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Every piece of cladding so far tested for fire resistance after the Grenfell Tower disaster had failed to meet the necessary standard, the prime minister’s spokesman said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/27/may-orders-national-inquiry-after-100-failure-rate-in-high-rise-cladding-tests

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The 2007 and 2008 continuing resolutions for the US budget led to some tough decisions in maintaining some GSA buildings. Spending $818 million to build something and then scrimping on maintaining it is a very Government thing to do.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Every piece of cladding so far tested for fire resistance after the Grenfell Tower disaster had failed to meet the necessary standard, the prime minister’s spokesman said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/27/may-orders-national-inquiry-after-100-failure-rate-in-high-rise-cladding-tests

Yeah, but think about how much money they saved installing the inflammable kind of cladding!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

spog posted:

But what is the state of London Bridge? :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ExplodingSims posted:

Well they set a man to watch all night so it should be fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Falling down?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It feel down so hard it's in Arizona now.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

techdirt posted:

Zillow and its lawyer, Christopher Poole, (note: not moot)

4chan's founder trying to sue people over image use would be the biggest instance of irony in history.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

I get :thejoke: but London Bridge is a concrete slab behemoth and I'm sure most of us would be happy if it fell down so it could be replaced by something less awful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arachnamus posted:

I get :thejoke: but London Bridge is a concrete slab behemoth and I'm sure most of us would be happy if it fell down so it could be replaced by something less awful.

Actually, it is a beautiful brutalist masterpiece that should be preserved for all time.
:goonsay:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jerry Cotton posted:

They finally decided to remove Taft's corpse from the bath tub and they needed to gut most of the place to move him.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

If Zillow truly cared about "manipulated photos", they would ban all the real estate agents that stretch photos horizontally to make rooms look bigger.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Please ban all HDR photography as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Armacham posted:

Please ban all HDR photography as well.

HDR photography is a necessity unless do all your real estate photography at night and/or work for literal troglodytes.

It’s just that when it’s done well, no one notices.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 27, 2017

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Somebody probably got butt hurt that their gently caress ugly house was on mcmansion hell and complained to zillow. Like anybody shopping for a mcmansion would be the kind of person to read the blog.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

HDR photography is a necessity unless do all your real estate photography at night and/or are work for literal troglodytes.

Or like carrying a whole shitload of watt-seconds into each and every room of every house you shoot.

quote:

It’s just that when it’s done well, no one notices.

And when it's done wrong it's funny.

Jesus, Zillow, the whole point of fair use is that you don't need permission. Nobody's asking you for permission, you don't need to give it. Fire your lawyers.
vvvvvvvv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/mcmansion-hell-used-zillow-photos-to-mock-bad-design-zillow-may-sue/
https://archpaper.com/2017/06/zillow-mcmansion-hell/
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/15876602/zillow-threatens-sue-mcmansion-hell-tumblr-blog
http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bs-fe-hopkins-student-zillow-mcmansion-hell-20170627-story.html
http://www.chron.com/homes/article/Blogger-who-roasted-Houston-McMansion-homes-11248720.php
http://gizmodo.com/zillow-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-mcmansion-hell-1796435051
http://fortune.com/2017/06/27/mcmansion-hell/

quote:

A representative from Zillow, Emily Heffter, clarified the company’s intent in response to a query from The Architect’s Newspaper. The email contained a message from Katie Curnutte, the company’s vice president of communications and public affairs, to Wagner that explained Zillow’s beef with the images:

[We] do not own the rights to many of the photos on our site, and therefore can’t give permission for third parties, such as yourself, to take the photos from our website for any purpose. We get them from brokerages and MLSs who are advertising homes for sale and through those agreements we have an obligation to protect the interest of the copyright holders who license the images to Zillow.

Uhhhh Zillow, admitting you don't own the copyright probably isn't going to work out so well for you.