Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Love Stole the Day posted:

Where are you guys finding these jobs? Because based on the feedback to my dumb survey, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

All 4 of my dev jobs have been through networking. Befriend 1-2 good recruiters and stay in touch, make friends with a handful of cool people at each job, go out to lunch with them at least once a year. Go to user groups/meetups and do the same. Then you hear about cool things from people. This isn't something you can see benefits from immediately, so it requires prep and patience. That's not incredibly useful to you right now, but I'd consider it for the long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Helicity posted:

All 4 of my dev jobs have been through networking. Befriend 1-2 good recruiters and stay in touch, make friends with a handful of cool people at each job, go out to lunch with them at least once a year. Go to user groups/meetups and do the same. Then you hear about cool things from people. This isn't something you can see benefits from immediately, so it requires prep and patience. That's not incredibly useful to you right now, but I'd consider it for the long-term.

And make sure you land in a city you want to be in because I'm going to move soon and lose all my connections and reputation soon! Can't wait to start over again! gently caress living in America!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gildiss posted:

And make sure you land in a city you want to be in because I'm going to move soon and lose all my connections and reputation soon! Can't wait to start over again! gently caress living in America!

Is losing your connections and reputation when you move unique to America?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Is losing your connections and reputation when you move unique to America?

There are plenty of other reasons to not want to live here.

Regarding moving:

I moved for a new job last August and am only now starting to build up a new professional network in the new city. Admittedly I could be more aggressive about it and joined some UGs or done local meetups, but it hasn't been that high of a priority for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Fool posted:

There are plenty of other reasons to not want to live here.

Yes, but that's not what it seems like this person is saying...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, but that's not what it seems like this person is saying...

Yeah, I am mostly salty about having to live in the US still for other unrelated reasons.
Maybe 'gently caress open offices!' or 'gently caress my inability to pass remote interviews!' would be more appropriate?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

At least you have more than one job market in the entire country. :negative:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Add me to the list of "holy poo poo I'm finally getting out of this dead-end job" people. Accepted an offer a couple of days back at a new company in a new state for higher pay and a much, much better infrastructure (they do continuous integration and deployment etc, proper modern software development company).

Regarding connections, that's been my issue for a long time - I live in a small town in Tasmania, Australia and I've lived here all my life. The company I've worked for for the last 10 years is probably the largest software development company in the city, probably even the state, and it's actually tiny. The new place I'm going to is in Melbourne however, which is a really booming area for startups and established companies alike. There's regular developer meetups for just about any tech you can imagine, conferences, all kinds of stuff. I'm really looking forward to networking a little and making some of these "connections" that I hear about.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

HaB posted:

I do new little projects to learn new frameworks from time to time, and most of them are small and silly. Sometimes there will be a website I use regularly that has something horribly wrong with it, so I will write a better version.

A silly project I am doing now is a website called "is it hot as balls?" Someone said "it's hot as balls!" one day in the Georgia summer and my first thought was "but like....is it?" So I googled to find out just how hot balls are (around 94f on average) and conceived a site which would grab your location (or let you enter one) and then it would call the openweathermap API and tell you if it IS in fact - hot as balls. When I went to buy the domain, I also purchased the winter time counterpart: "is it cold as gently caress?"

A larger one I am doing is a site to manage your vinyl record collection, because discogs.com A - is WAY overkill since I just wanna know what records I have, not whether or not it's the Czechoslovakian pressing of the 1987 reissue, but the one with the yellow label, not the green one and B - was designed by a sadist.

But really - I wouldn't think in terms of what you can "complete" so much as just a few things you might pick at from time to time. The smaller ones might someday reach "complete" but I am pretty much always iterating.

A neat small project I saw somewhere was an app that simply showed the time, but the background color was set to the time itself, so like if it was 17:43:35 then the background color was #174335. Made for a neat, slowly cycling color effect. But there's a lot of things to fool around with from there: make sure the clock digits stay at a nice contrast from the background. Animate the clock. Let users pick a time zone. Theme it so the time itself is an offset from a base color set by the theme, show a random time-based fact every X seconds.

So it's possible to take a small idea and grow it into something more interesting. Pick something trivial and just go from there.

Thanks for all of this advice, I'll have a bit of a think about some little projects I can work on in my spare time and just slowly pick at them.

Also this:

HaB posted:

A silly project I am doing now is a website called "is it hot as balls?" Someone said "it's hot as balls!" one day in the Georgia summer and my first thought was "but like....is it?" So I googled to find out just how hot balls are (around 94f on average) and conceived a site which would grab your location (or let you enter one) and then it would call the openweathermap API and tell you if it IS in fact - hot as balls. When I went to buy the domain, I also purchased the winter time counterpart: "is it cold as gently caress?"

This reminds me of a dumb site I made: http://www.isstevebuscemistillugly.com/.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Spent the day creating a little test project with Webpack and Babel so now I'm finally grasping what they all do.

I'm pretty curious though besides for linting, babel, and webpack, what else is included in create-react-app? Also create-react-apps have no webpack config file so where are the entry and output files?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 23, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The best way to find out is to use it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Grump posted:

Spent the day creating a little test project with Webpack and Babel so now I'm finally grasping what they all do.

I'm pretty curious though besides for linting, babel, and webpack, what else is included in create-react-app? Also create-react-apps have no webpack config file so where are the entry and output files?

You can do an eject and then take a look at all the config files you want.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Grump posted:

The Fool posted:

You can do an eject and then take a look at all the config files you want.

If you don't want to eject, you can also take a look at react-scripts. This is the actual setup that create-react-app establishes for you when you start a project through the command line tool: https://github.com/facebookincubator/create-react-app/tree/master/packages/react-scripts

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

oh cool. I don't know why I didn't think to dig around in that repo

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I don't quite get the appeal of Angular, to be honest. It seems to be much the same as any other framework, except with some weird syntax and an annoying requirement to wire dependency injection into everything.

I didn't either (and still don't really) because our code went from this:

code:
function foo() {
    return "spaghetti, but works.";
}

jQuery('body').on("click", "#myid", null, function(){
   foo();
});
to this:

code:
app.controller("MyController", ['$scope', function($scope){
    $scope.foo = function() {
        return "we're using angular now!";
    };

$scope.foo();
    });
}]);

<body ng-controller="MyController">
The devs responsible quit soon after and I wanted to hire them back so I could just fire them for this.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
code:
app.controller("MyController", ['$scope', function($scope){
    $scope.foo = function() {
        return "we're using angular now!";
    };

$scope.foo();
    });
}]);

<body ng-controller="MyController">
Ahahaha, talk about missing the loving point. Give this guy an AngularJS 1.5+ tutorial or something, holy poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That $scope, function($scope) poo poo is the bane of my existence. I remember being constantly hosed over by this a job ago.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

IAmKale posted:

Ahahaha, talk about missing the loving point. Give this guy an AngularJS 1.5+ tutorial or something, holy poo poo.

Here we go, this is the right way to do it, in TypeScript

code:

class MyComponentController {

private message: string;

static $inject = ["$scope"];
	constructor(private $scope: angular.IScope) {

}

public $onInit = () => {
		this.message = "Sorta using Angular...";
	}

private foo = () => {
		return "We're using Angular properly now!";
	}
}

angular.module("MyModule", [])
	.component("myComponent", {
		controller: MyComponentController,
		template: '<span>{{$ctrl.message}}</span><button ng-click="$ctrl.foo()" />'
	});
Put this wherever you want as "<my-component> </my-component>".

Also, wtf, why are you using jQuery inside your controller? You are supposed to do bindings with the provided ng- wrapper directives. Of course you don't like using AngularJS, did you read anything about it before starting?

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

And here's the really right way to do it :smug:

code:
class App extends React.Component {
  constructor(props) {
    super(props);
    this.state = {showMsg: false};
  }

render = () =>
    <div>
      <button onClick={() => {this.setState({showMsg: true})}}>
        {this.props.children}
      </button>
      <h1>{this.state.showMsg && this.props.message}</h1>
    </div>;
}
https://jsfiddle.net/u2rer1Lq/2/

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Here we go, this is the right way to do it, in TypeScript
And because I'm neck-deep in it on the daily, here's the ES6 version:

code:
class MyComponentController {
  constructor($scope) {
    this.$scope = $scope;
    this.message = '';
  }

$onInit() {
    this.message = 'Sorta using Angular...';
  }

foo() {
    this.message = 'We\'re using Angular properly now!';
  }
}

MyComponentController.$inject = ['$scope'];

angular.module('MyModule', []).component('myComponent', {
  controller: MyComponentController,
  template: '<span>{{ $ctrl.message }}</span><button ng-click="$ctrl.foo()" />',
});

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Things that are verbose but read like a novel: good.

Things that appears as if Perl has escaped and have byten Javascript: bad.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm trying to use Fields component of redux-form, but can't get validation to work. Format and normalize functions do get called for each name in names array, but validate function doesn't get called at all. Can't seem to find any examples of Fields with validation, just Field.

Edit: Actually I'm not even sure if Fields is the right tool for the job. I want to make a small component that can be reused in multiple forms, and it contains a few inputs inside it with some interdependencies (like showing text field only if checkbox is checked etc) and formatting/validation logic. Fields seems suitable for that because values of all fields are available on props passed into it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 26, 2017

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I've been working as a mid level manager at a grocery company for about a decade and not really going anywhere. I've been intrigued by web development for almost five years now. But I know I need to find a career change. I run my own Xenforo forum that I host on a VPS and I can do the simple stuff with it, and I built our stores very lovely website in Wordpress with a theme that I altered quite a bit. I know a bit of HTML and CSS and I'm working through Colt Steele's Udemy WebDev course and FreeCodeCamps class online.

I've been trying to build very very simple web pages. Basically just CSS'ized Hello World pages and learning tools. I own a Windows PC and a 2015 Macbook Pro.

What program do you guys edit code in? I've been bouncing between Sublime, Brackets, Atom and Visual Studio Code and can't really decide on one.

I feel stupid, it's so hard to learn things at 31 years old I feel. But then I tell myself I have two kids and work 45 hours a week and trying to learn the fundamentals of a whole new career entirely on my own a couple hours a night isn't going to be easy. I just don't want to babysit teenagers at work anymore. I'd love a job I can do remotely or even in an office with a mostly 9-5 schedule. Being able to have a holiday off for the first time in a decade would be amazing.

Any tips I can be offered that might give me some confidence?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've been working as a mid level manager at a grocery company for about a decade and not really going anywhere. I've been intrigued by web development for almost five years now. But I know I need to find a career change. I run my own Xenforo forum that I host on a VPS and I can do the simple stuff with it, and I built our stores very lovely website in Wordpress with a theme that I altered quite a bit. I know a bit of HTML and CSS and I'm working through Colt Steele's Udemy WebDev course and FreeCodeCamps class online.

I've been trying to build very very simple web pages. Basically just CSS'ized Hello World pages and learning tools. I own a Windows PC and a 2015 Macbook Pro.

What program do you guys edit code in? I've been bouncing between Sublime, Brackets, Atom and Visual Studio Code and can't really decide on one.

I feel stupid, it's so hard to learn things at 31 years old I feel. But then I tell myself I have two kids and work 45 hours a week and trying to learn the fundamentals of a whole new career entirely on my own a couple hours a night isn't going to be easy. I just don't want to babysit teenagers at work anymore. I'd love a job I can do remotely or even in an office with a mostly 9-5 schedule. Being able to have a holiday off for the first time in a decade would be amazing.

You can easily learn dev and get a job, the demand is massive and will grow as long as there are human jobs. The fact that you can write a coherent paragraph and manage a handful of people means you're going to be at least a 95th percentile developer. :getin:

Get Visual Studio Code, Sublime, PhpStorm, Visual Studio, Notepad++, whatever; try them all free and pick one that works for you. The one dev isn't is constrained on ways you can do things, there are 500,000,000 ways to do things, all of them wrong, and people do all of them, so do what works for you and find someone to pay you to do that.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 27, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I didn't really start learning programming until I was in my early 30s. It's not the age, it's the amount of free time that will make it harder than it could be.

edit: Also, I greatly prefer Webstorm over all those options.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 27, 2017

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I'd say most people are going to recommend vs code (me included)

I would highly recommend lynda.com and codeacademy for getting your start and seeing what you like

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My anecdotal observations: Notepad++ is great for editing giant files. Sublime used to be the king of web dev, but many have converted to VS Code. Microsoft does tooling and IDEs very well. Very few use Atom (slow) or Brackets. Anything from Jetbrains is decent to good (Webstorm, IntelliJ, pycharm, Resharper, etc.). I use IntelliJ for anything Java, and VS Code for everything else.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Helicity posted:

My anecdotal observations: Notepad++ is great for editing giant files. Sublime used to be the king of web dev, but many have converted to VS Code. Microsoft does tooling and IDEs very well. Very few use Atom (slow) or Brackets. Anything from Jetbrains is decent to good (Webstorm, IntelliJ, pycharm, Resharper, etc.). I use IntelliJ for anything Java, and VS Code for everything else.

Went from WebStorm to VS Code and really love it. Not sure if I could pin it down to a single thing but generally JetBrains apps still feel like they're hanging on to some of the vestiges of it originally being a Java IDE.

Being free when my cheap rear end employer won't pay for an upgrade from IDEA 12 (3 or 4 major versions ago?), that helps.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

A lot of new CS grads lack useful practical experience, and are often terrible at things like figuring out what people actually want, they think software development is all FizzBuzz and sorting. If you can demonstrate enough skills to prove you won't actively make things worse, but follow that up with some actual maturity and work ethic, you could do well.

But, it will be an uphill battle, you'll get looked down on for not having a CS degree. To get past this, you're going to need to have a decent website showcasing some things you've done, and a github showing your code, and you want to get as much as you can up there. If you are lucky enough to find an open source project you like, contribute to that.

Also, while this may not be the most pleasant experience, you'll probably have to suffer through some poo poo dev job before getting a decent one. Pay attention to everything that is wrong, learning what not to do is perhaps the most important thing a developer needs to do.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just started using VS code this week after year and years with sublime. It seems good, the code completion is really nice.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
text editors:

Sublime: beatiful and smart, I think is the best option for somebody learning
SciTE: idiot savant, like sublime, but ugly and awkward.
Atom: I did not use it much. But is based on node, that somebody on front end developing should be familiar with, and what best way to be familiar with something than to live with it?
vs code?: Microsoft usually make A+ ides. Is this the one based on Atom?
Notepad++: to me is ugly has hell and slow, but people don't consider it ugly and if is slow is because the powerful plugin system. Maybe is a intermediate step between sublime and Webstorm.

ides:

WebStorm: swedish army katana of god, is what I use, but I am more a full stack dude
netbeans with php extensions: like webstorm, but with less nice things
eclipse: I mention it here for completeness, but is prone to problems.

Tei fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 27, 2017

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Tei posted:

Atom: I did not use it much. But is based on node, that somebody on front end developing should be familiar with, and what best way to be familiar with something than to live with it?
vs code?: Microsoft usually make A+ ides. Is this the one based on Atom?

They are both built on Electron, but one is a great product and the other is garbage.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Forgall posted:

I'm trying to use Fields component of redux-form, but can't get validation to work. Format and normalize functions do get called for each name in names array, but validate function doesn't get called at all. Can't seem to find any examples of Fields with validation, just Field.

Edit: Actually I'm not even sure if Fields is the right tool for the job. I want to make a small component that can be reused in multiple forms, and it contains a few inputs inside it with some interdependencies (like showing text field only if checkbox is checked etc) and formatting/validation logic. Fields seems suitable for that because values of all fields are available on props passed into it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Judging from the docs it seems like Fields doesn't support validation directly, but you can always just do regular sync form validation.

You can just provide a validation callback on the validate property on your reduxForm wrapper to check your form as a whole. Then if you want to reuse validation logic it's just a matter of providing the same validation callback, or if you want to reuse the form layout then just reuse that too (e.g. export from a common file and import it from multiple places).

The SyncValidation example shows how to wrap a component as a ReduxForm instance

code:
export default reduxForm({
  form: 'unique form name',
  validate, // <--- validation function given to redux-form
})(SyncValidationForm)

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 27, 2017

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Webstorm has gotten slower and slower over the last few versions, and since switching to VS Code a year or so ago - I have never looked back.

Webstorm would beachball when I was just typing. Default install, no plugins, etc. And the machine is a late 2015 Macbook Pro with 16 GB of RAM.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

HaB posted:

Webstorm has gotten slower and slower over the last few versions, and since switching to VS Code a year or so ago - I have never looked back.

Webstorm would beachball when I was just typing. Default install, no plugins, etc. And the machine is a late 2015 Macbook Pro with 16 GB of RAM.

I find tuning the Jetbrains products for better JVM usage helps a lot. Also for some reason they usually default to running 32bit and provide 32bit launchers as a default. If you have 64bit Java installed, you can run them in a 64bit JVM and then you can tweak them to use up more memory. I think they set some pretty conservative defaults for the JVM they run in. I bumped a bunch of things from 512m to 2048m etc. and it smoothed everything out like butter.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

HaB posted:

I have learned to appreciate on the fly static analysis. The IDE doing things like... "So you are sending a object in the first parameter and a integer in the second parameter? thats probably wrong, dumbass, because the definition is integer first, object second".

That need CPU cycles, a good internal architecture.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

HaB posted:

There's something wrong here. It should have gotten significantly faster over the past few versions as they turned on their "zero-latency" typing technology in Webstorm this past December.

I confess that while I recommended Webstorm, I actually use PyCharm or IDEA as I do full stack...I just said Webstorm because its for frontend and PyCharm/IDEA are supersets of Webstorm.

That being said, some people are IDE people some people are text editor people...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Sublime's my main work workhorse since I've given it some support for the POS custom web framework we use, but in personal dev I'm almost completely VS Code (Unity and typescript stuff). And once we replace the POS I'll probably convert work to VS Code and/or IDEA, depending on what we replace it with. Although based on my experience with IDEA I'd probably love to go to Webstorm if it wasn't a goddamn subscription.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

There's something wrong here. It should have gotten significantly faster over the past few versions as they turned on their "zero-latency" typing technology in Webstorm this past December.

I confess that while I recommended Webstorm, I actually use PyCharm or IDEA as I do full stack...I just said Webstorm because its for frontend and PyCharm/IDEA are supersets of Webstorm.

That being said, some people are IDE people some people are text editor people...

I really wish VS Code was on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Skandranon posted:

I really wish VS Code was on there.

When did VS Code get popular? That image is from this article which is from December 2015.

The good news is he provides the tool and config he used to create the data, so you could measure yourself if you're so inclined.