Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Frosted Flake posted:

Canada Company is also good for getting a professional type job after time-in. Helmets to Hardhats is good too.

Soldier-On is hiring and so are the fitness people, it's fairly easy to get in there if you have a passion for sports.

Helmets to Hardhats was completely useless for me. I wanted to get an Electrical Apprenticeship, or get on with the Operators Union and they pretty much just told me there's no work and no one is hiring apprentices. They were completely unhelpful when I was trying to figure out how to transfer over my driver quals as a civilian. I really don't want to badmouth them, but all that happened is they host links to a job board with only a handful of jobs.

Maybe it's changed in the last two years, but that was my experience with them.

Samu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

During a town hall this week one of the service chiefs announced a pay raise. Didn't give numbers but :frogsiren: it's happening :frogsiren:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Something about pay raises under liberals and not conservatives and how it's probably still JT's fault.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lol at anybody who thinks it makes a difference. Some PMs have shorter tenure than the time it takes to negotiate and implement an increase.

Anyways, it was just formally announced - 1.25% going back to '14 for both pay scales and environmental allowance, plus 1.2% for military factor. Backpay starts rolling out at the end of the month.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Guest2553 posted:

Lol at anybody who thinks it makes a difference. Some PMs have shorter tenure than the time it takes to negotiate and implement an increase.

Anyways, it was just formally announced - 1.25% going back to '14 for both pay scales and environmental allowance, plus 1.2% for military factor. Backpay starts rolling out at the end of the month.

Am I buying two ATVs or one ATV and one jetski?

It's kinda cool not having a single clue how much is going to show up on my paycheck.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Hizawk posted:

Am I buying two ATVs or one ATV and one jetski?

It's kinda cool not having a single clue how much is going to show up on my paycheck.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/news/2017/06/canadian_armed_forcespayincrease.html

And scroll down a bit, they provide some salary examples and calculated amounts. A dece four figgies, depending. Oh, minus 40% tax

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nice nice. Does that change pension totals as well?

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 4, 2017

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
Depending on how it lines up with my release dates I will be getting a nice case of beer out of it or maybe just a king can. I'll take it. :cool:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
New pay tables are up fuckers.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/pay-rates.page

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

As is the Soviet propaganda machine!

e. on second thought I don't want to direct link that poo poo so https://tinyurl.com/y958r7zl

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
We did it again:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...&service=mobile

This is insane and almost as unbelievable as the Brit who took two down with a. 338 LM. This is why the Americans are jealous of our Tac-50s though I guess.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A dude in GiP put it this way

Troop: Grid reference 136584 432864 fire mission, over

Sniper: got u fam

Precision indirect fire from over 2 miles, gat dang

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
As a private citizen who drives on the highway a lot, I've been seeing a lot of green trucks on flatbeds - including what must be half of LFWA's working LSVWs (i.e., >3) and no less than two (2) MLVWs (!?). I thought we stopped using those.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So, uh, how bad of an idea is it to attempt to get a commission as an infantry officer these days. Asking for a friend :v:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hopping from unit to unit where everyone hates you without any real opportunity to get any street cred by doing real infantry things in theatre sounds like a terrible idea imo.

Why not just do a trade and actually get some valuable certifications from it?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I definitely prefer to go the commissioned route to get them sweet gubmint dollars to cover a university degree. There are a few trades I have my eye on (maybe electrician, or perhaps musician, gently caress me right), but I don't know what else would be interesting. I'd consider joining the Navy but lol at our current fleet, and my eyes are too hosed up for the fun Airforce jobs, so I'm not sure what roles in the Army are worth looking at.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Signals trades aren't a bad go if you want crossover to actual civvy-side skills.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canuck-Errant posted:

As a private citizen who drives on the highway a lot, I've been seeing a lot of green trucks on flatbeds - including what must be half of LFWA's working LSVWs (i.e., >3) and no less than two (2) MLVWs (!?). I thought we stopped using those.

The vehicle fleet is hosed right now. With the exception of the genuinely excellent LAV UP program and the LAV 6.0, basically everything with wheels is broken, breaking, or not available in enough numbers to replace the breaking and broken equipment. G-Wagons are still fun to drive though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Canuck-Errant posted:

Signals trades aren't a bad go if you want crossover to actual civvy-side skills.

Yup, they're great IT workers.

Hull tech is the "I can fix literally anything" trade

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

The vehicle fleet is hosed right now. With the exception of the genuinely excellent LAV UP program and the LAV 6.0, basically everything with wheels is broken, breaking, or not available in enough numbers to replace the breaking and broken equipment. G-Wagons are still fun to drive though.

Well, yeah, same situation as when I left. But these are all headed east on the highway.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mederlock posted:

my eyes are too hosed up for the fun Airforce jobs

If you're primarily interested in air force then AEC/ABM could be something to consider. They're a very deployable air ops branch, and if you feel like playing army there are G3 air/JTAC positions at the Brigade Groups. You can feel the neglect of both the army and air force first hand!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 27, 2017

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

One of the few things I miss about the army is bombing around a field smokin and jokin in a g-wagen.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Came across this org chart of the CA which seems, uh, optimistically misrepresentative of its actual capabilities. Do Canadian divisions actually do divisional level things like orchestrate divisional joint fires and establish ground schemes of maneuver for its brigade groups?

Or is this a case of look-within-your-heart-you-already-know-the-answer cases?

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 27, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Came across this org chart of the CA which seems, uh, optimistically misrepresentative of its actual capabilities. Do Canadian divisions actually do divisional level things like orchestrate divisional joint fires and establish ground schemes of maneuver for its brigade groups?

Or is this a case of look-within-your-heart-you-already-know-the-answer cases?

Well considering that when they list "regiments" of artillery on those org charts they're actually a battery worth...it's hilariously optimistic.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm working on the highway in NW ON and daily I see a number of flatbeds and floats hauling equipment. Earlier in the month it was a lot of truck convoys. Out of curiosity, where is this all going?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Trudeau and Obama's FEMA death camps, obviously.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Maple Resolve traffic.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, if you ever see a lot of military vehicles moving one direction, 99.9% chance it's a brigade level exercise.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Hello all. I have finally finished Phase 3 (wings) flying training on helicopters - that was a long one. Even got the posting I wanted.

It got a little tough on the stupid loving Jet Ranger, but the 412 is a beaut. I would say Phase 2 was more stressful overall, but this was a bag drive for sure.

Now, or at least one day, I'll be flying Cyclones. If I don't retire first.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Yea, if you ever see a lot of military vehicles moving one direction, 99.9% chance it's a brigade level exercise.

The fun part is driving down the highway 2 hours after a Maple Resolve moveout and counting all the lovely broken green trucks that didn't make it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

Hello all. I have finally finished Phase 3 (wings) flying training on helicopters - that was a long one. Even got the posting I wanted.

It got a little tough on the stupid loving Jet Ranger, but the 412 is a beaut. I would say Phase 2 was more stressful overall, but this was a bag drive for sure.

Now, or at least one day, I'll be flying Cyclones. If I don't retire first.

Congratulations man!

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Congrats, Compressioncut. How long is the wait for the OTU nowadays? They tell us it's still years out in Phase 2....

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

The fun part is driving down the highway 2 hours after a Maple Resolve moveout and counting all the lovely broken green trucks that didn't make it.

I have never wanted to kill everyone in sight more than the time I drove an LSVW from shilo to Edmonton to shilo to wainwright to shilo.

I don't know what was worse, driving that LSVW or having to go back to shilo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I have never wanted to kill everyone in sight more than the time I drove an LSVW from shilo to Edmonton to shilo to wainwright to shilo.

We've found it, folks.

We've discovered purgatory.

Driving an LS on the trans Canada highway in the Praries, forever.

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL*

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I'm so sorry.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
Just got my back pay from that increase $6.72 literally rolling in it now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm looking forward to the hilarious things people waste their back pay on. I'm literally surrounded by 19-year-old pte(b)s who have not an ounce of sense between the hundreds of them.

I can't wait for the electric skateboards to start prowling around Borden.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can just imagine flights of drones in deathmatches

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

We've found it, folks.

We've discovered purgatory.

Driving an LS on the trans Canada highway in the Praries, forever.

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL*

Make it a box LSVW with n/s blowers and a Louie who insists on convoy radio checks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm looking forward to the hilarious things people waste their back pay on. I'm literally surrounded by 19-year-old pte(b)s who have not an ounce of sense between the hundreds of them.

I can't wait for the electric skateboards to start prowling around Borden.

"The historic birthplace of the Royal Canadian Air Force"

yeeps.

hello?