Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This Jun + Carol mini-arc is actually kinda unexpected. I wasn't really expecting the comic to put these two particular characters together for any extended period of time. Having Jun interact with non-Tomo characters actually makes me like him a lot more as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the drone comic is the widest his eyes have opened the entire series

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yep

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Carol is extremely powerful.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Carol is a genius who can master any technique after seeing it once.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
or she knew it all along and was trying to get jun to cop a feel :smug:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Captain Invictus posted:

or she knew it all along and was trying to get jun to cop a feel :smug:

That was my initial guess, but Carol is extremely powerful so the ultra genius card is always on the table.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This is the moment where Jun has to take Carol seriously as an opponent

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I can't help but wonder if Jun has simply always thought of Tomo as a guy for such a long time that he's nearly incapable of seeing her as a girl. I know he found out she is a girl in junior hight, but those formative early years might be very important.

At least, I'm wondering if that's what the author is trying to ultimately get at.

I do agree that Jun is irrationally thick when it comes to Tomo, but I'd like to think there is a better reason than simply keeping the manga going and going and going. Once Tomo and Jun do (if ever) get together, that may be the end.

Frankly, I'd like to see Jun hookup with someone other than Tomo. I can imagine watching Tomo's face as Jun shows affection for some other girl.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's less that he sees tomo as a guy, it's that tono is both his best friend and represents the ideal of what jun wants to be. At this point he's becoming more aware of her as a woman and that he may not just think of her as a friend, but he's scared to risk their friendship so he's sticking with what works (and at this point being a bit wilfully obtuse).

Also the manga seems to be following a school year and they've not long got past the summer break, so I imagine there won't be a huge change until after the Christmas events.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the jun/tomo relationship is shockingly nuanced from jun's side for something like this

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dan7el posted:

I can't help but wonder if Jun has simply always thought of Tomo as a guy for such a long time that he's nearly incapable of seeing her as a girl. I know he found out she is a girl in junior hight, but those formative early years might be very important.

At least, I'm wondering if that's what the author is trying to ultimately get at.

I do agree that Jun is irrationally thick when it comes to Tomo, but I'd like to think there is a better reason than simply keeping the manga going and going and going. Once Tomo and Jun do (if ever) get together, that may be the end.

Frankly, I'd like to see Jun hookup with someone other than Tomo. I can imagine watching Tomo's face as Jun shows affection for some other girl.

When Tomo looks and acts like the boy he grew up idolizing that's all he ends up seeing her as. When she doesn't then he's painfully aware that she's a girl, though the jury's still out on if he realizes how into her he is. This is all pretty straightforward and pretty obvious based on everything that's happened so far. And even if it wasn't, Jun outright stops short of saying as such explicitly when he describes his relationship to Tomo to Kousuke using twins as a metaphor.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jun is weak against sporty girls, news at 11.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basically, jun is totally gay for his non-existent male friend and is having trouble coming to terms with his nascent heterosexuality.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

something isnt adding up here

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tomo + Jun = 4eva

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gay

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Totally gay

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ArfJason posted:

something isnt adding up here

i don't think it's complex. the person whose hog he wanted to ride for all those years turned out to not have a hog at all. so, he has to wonder if he truly loves hogs or if he still loves a person who lacks a hog.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just wanted to say hog repeatedly

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's fine, so long as you don't hog the conversation in this thread.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does Jun have some actual reason for being so standoff-ish with Carol? From his perspective, it seems like he's being a dick for no reason to this random cute girl who wants to hang out with him. If he knew her well I could understand him (correctly) assuming she's loving with him, but otherwise it just makes him come off like an antisocial dweeb.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the first impression was suspect, for one

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yeah, I think he clearly senses she has ulterior motives, and doesn't want to get pulled into the vortex.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Ytlaya posted:

Does Jun have some actual reason for being so standoff-ish with Carol? From his perspective, it seems like he's being a dick for no reason to this random cute girl who wants to hang out with him. If he knew her well I could understand him (correctly) assuming she's loving with him, but otherwise it just makes him come off like an antisocial dweeb.

He is an antisocial dweeb.

Underneath those ripped abs lies the nerdy core of a game boy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Carol is a trickster God. Jun knows better than to gently caress with her.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

Uh, I dunno how well he knows her, but they've had lunch together, gone to the beach, beat up gangs together, hung out with Tomo, so they're not total strangers.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Carol used Jun's inability to just leave someone waiting to get him to hang out with her, then she was very touchy-feely against his wishes, now she's following him home.

There are many reasons for Jun to not be particularly happy with Carol.

Plus Jun *is* pretty antisocial when it comes to any girl other than Tomo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Jun has come to the (correct) conclusion that anyone- besides Tomo- that actively wants to be friends with Mizusu is dangerous and should be avoided if possible and not aggravated if not.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Uh, I dunno how well he knows her, but they've had lunch together, gone to the beach, beat up gangs together, hung out with Tomo, so they're not total strangers.

He's also attempted to help her exercise and that went nowhere even less than a parked car.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

A girl who has previously shown no obvious interest in him (other than the workout stuff earlier on) has all the sudden asked him to hang out. I think he know's he's being used.

I can see why he'd be a bit put off.

I think Carol is setting this up so Tomo will see Jun walking home with her. When asked, "Oh yeah. We spent time together in the park too." She's stirring poo poo up, and she's an evil genius.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Carol is a natural born leader who takes command wherever she goes.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

jun

how

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

carol is very powerful.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cotton Candy has her ways.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
If this isn't a clever ploy to light a fire under the plot I'm going to start using the S-word again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You really can't blame him for this.

Che Delilas posted:

If this isn't a clever ploy to light a fire under the plot I'm going to start using the S-word again.

That's a fools bet and you know it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't do anything that would make Tomo cry, Jun and Carol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Carol has seized the reigns of the plot from Misuzu, and I'm glad for it.