Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Roshambo posted:

Is there a way to filter the steam store so I don't keep seeing games I already own?

Also, Hollow Knight, Death Road to Canada, or Darkest Dungeon?

Ooh, a tough one!

Death Road to Canada > Hollow Knight > Darkest Dungeon if only because I got more out of trying to go to Canada than I am out of bug adventures, but I love Hollow Knight a whole heck of a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Quest For Glory II posted:

people confuse roguelikes or open world games for metroidvanias sometimes. the definition should be pretty simple: areas are gated off by ability (you can't get somewhere without acquiring a new ability/move), and those abilities/moves can also be used in earlier areas to find secrets

I may do a steam curator group simply for defining if a game is a metroidvania or not because it's getting to be a thing

I thought Dead Cells at least has unlocks/pickups that let you use alternate paths in a Metroidvania-ish way, so it's maybe not completely out of left field.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Anyone know anything about Nex Machina or Salmon Ninja? The former especially looks cool but I've never heard anything about it.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
I don't know anything about Nex Machina other than supposedly it's a kind of Voxel Bullet Hell version of Smash TV/Robotron, but for some reason Spotify recommended I listen to the soundtrack and I've been listening to that for the past few days. The first song on the album is really bad though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Anyone know anything about Nex Machina or Salmon Ninja? The former especially looks cool but I've never heard anything about it.

i have nex machina on ps4, what would you like to know about it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I thought Dead Cells at least has unlocks/pickups that let you use alternate paths in a Metroidvania-ish way, so it's maybe not completely out of left field.
it's just a light element though because your runs are very linear. also when i played the game those alternate paths only led to bonus loot, maybe it's different now

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Firelizard posted:

Looking for some good, goon recommended point and click/adventure games.
Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet.

Samuringa posted:

I nabbed a foil card which earned me some extra cash, is there any notable five bucks game that slipt under the radar? I'm considering Sorcery! 1+2 but am wondering if there might be anything I missed.
Do it. Can't recommend the Sorcery series enough. Part 1 is a bit less great than the rest, but it's mostly there to get you used to the mechanics and style.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

I saw someone play through that last night....it was a pretty decent experience.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought Hollow Knight, and why did it get no exposure from the big sites? Metacritic only has a Destructoid review, and then loads of smaller sites I've never heard of. I'm only a couple of hours in (just beat the 2nd boss) but it's absolutely fantastic. I love the hand-drawn art style, the controls are tight as HECK, and the music is amazing. Hopefully lots of people pick it up in the sale.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bardeh posted:

I bought Hollow Knight, and why did it get no exposure from the big sites? Metacritic only has a Destructoid review, and then loads of smaller sites I've never heard of. I'm only a couple of hours in (just beat the 2nd boss) but it's absolutely fantastic. I love the hand-drawn art style, the controls are tight as HECK, and the music is amazing. Hopefully lots of people pick it up in the sale.

One of the devs is a goon and posted in the thread a few times. He mentioned they sold 130k games (this was before the sale) so that's pretty good. He's MIA for a few weeks but if he ever comes back I'll ask how the steam sale treated them but I'd have to imagine they may have doubled that by now (I hope).

In general though, indie games really don't get a lot of exposure unless it hits some meme streaming craze like Five Freddie Nights or something. And it's been a loving busy and incredible year of games ontop of it (it launched around same time as Zelda, Horizon, Persona, Prey, Nier, etc).

But it's obviously doing well just by word of mouth and ticking lot of people's boxes, so it's not in peril or anything, so that's good.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 27, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I thought that was the case, but thanks for confirming.

Trying to stick to a $10 budget since
1. Just went on vacation
2. Already own lots of games I have yet to play
3. poo poo's cheap anyway, yo

With that in mind, how should I structure my spending?

$2.49
KOTOR II

<$2.49
$1.99- Goat Simulator

If you haven't bought these yet, I can hook you up.
I have a KOTOR II and a Goaty edition Goat Simulator key I don't need from humble bundles. Drop me a pm or quote this and they are yours.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

C-Euro posted:

I thought that was the case, but thanks for confirming.

Trying to stick to a $10 budget since
1. Just went on vacation
2. Already own lots of games I have yet to play
3. poo poo's cheap anyway, yo

With that in mind, how should I structure my spending?

$9.99
V:tM- Bloodlines
Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
Fallout NV Ultimate Edition
Delete Axion Verge and add Hollow Knight instead. They are the same price. Axiom Verge is kind of a bad game (good attempt for 1 guy) , especially after the first 20% into the game its noticebly really unfun.

Also V:TM has been $5 almost every sale before, idk might want to wait.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Awesome! posted:

How do the controls feel? It's hard to tell from the video. Did you like the game?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Man I'm just not making good choices this sale. First I get Prey, which seems great but was a slideshow after I got out of the tutorial zone even though I've got new drivers and set everything to low and it should run on my crappy i5-2500 and 750Ti. So I refunded it and got Divinity: Original Sin since it's the first time it's gotten a discount over 50%, and I'm not really feeling it because I'm realizing that I never actually finish these 60 hour RPG epics I keep buying. :smith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Toot toot summer sale gift train still rollin'!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How do the controls feel? It's hard to tell from the video. Did you like the game?

housemarque knows how to make twin stick shooters. it controls well and is fast and fun and looks great. there are a surprising number of secrets and poo poo as you go through each world too.

the only thing ive seen people complain about is the beam you cant dodge through later on. i dont find it that bad though.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Thanks for the advice all. I will just get the cheap games I listed, X-Com 2, and Hollow Knight then. Wife and baby are visiting the inlaws for 2 weeks so might actually have time to actually play something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am having much more fun with Naruto 4 than I ever thought I would. I imported one of these for like, the PS2, and I haven't watched Naruto in a good 12 years but seeing how insane it's gotten and characters turning into giant Demons that nuke each other is pretty cool

Also runs and looks great on PC and there is a lot of single player content I haven't tried yet.

It's only $7 but there's a boatload of DLC I didn't look at

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am having much more fun with Naruto 4 than I ever thought I would. I imported one of these for like, the PS2, and I haven't watched Naruto in a good 12 years but seeing how insane it's gotten and characters turning into giant Demons that nuke each other is pretty cool

Also runs and looks great on PC and there is a lot of single player content I haven't tried yet.

It's only $7 but there's a boatload of DLC I didn't look at

There was some controversy because the season pass doesn't include the Road to Boruto expansion, which is why the base game is so cheap. The real complete version is UNS4: Road to Boruto for $21.41, that's what I'll be picking up. But the $7 is good for anyone just checking it out though. This is officially Cyberconnect's last Naruto game, closing out the series, so it's going to have everything packed into, it's a solid buy for fans of the series.

On a related note I was going to pick up Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, until I discovered that Dragon Ball FighterZ is coming out early next year and is being developed by none other than Arc System Works (of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue fame). People are saying the game looks even more insane than Marvel vs Capcom. I can't freaking wait.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 27, 2017

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Roshambo posted:

Is there a way to filter the steam store so I don't keep seeing games I already own?

Also, Hollow Knight, Death Road to Canada, or Darkest Dungeon?

Hollow Knight. Darkest Dungeon is my personal favorite and the most engrossing of the three but it also gets really grindy towards the end and that understandably turns a lot of people off (especially if you have the DLC), Death Road to Canada is funny and neat but the actual mechanics of the game are really disappointingly slim, Hollow Knight is just a really good, solid, pretty Castlevania-alike without much in the way of cons.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Snakebird is an incredibly devious, incredibly difficult puzzle game that is also on sale right now! If you're very good at puzzle games and are amiable to going "what the gently caress, this one has got to be impossible!" on like half of the puzzles, go right ahead and buy it!

holy balls this game is hard

Xaris posted:

Delete Axion Verge and add Hollow Knight instead. They are the same price. Axiom Verge is kind of a bad game (good attempt for 1 guy) , especially after the first 20% into the game its noticebly really unfun.

Also V:TM has been $5 almost every sale before, idk might want to wait.

I disagree about Axiom Verge being unfun, I enjoyed it. That said, it's not nearly as polished as Hollow Knight.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 27, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

McFrugal posted:

Snakebird is an incredibly devious, incredibly difficult puzzle game that is also on sale right now! If you're very good at puzzle games and are amiable to going "what the gently caress, this one has got to be impossible!" on like half of the puzzles, go right ahead and buy it!

holy balls this game is hard

But is it as hard as Stephen's Sausage Roll (also on sale)?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think it is.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Does anyone know anything about Race for the Galaxy?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/579940/Race_for_the_Galaxy/

It seems to be a tablet port? Was that version any good? I'd be keen to pick it up and gift it to some of my friends if it's a decent version

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

Similar difficulty, I think. Snakebird might be a bit harder because you have more objects interacting at once, and they're often shaped differently. In Sausage Roll you're generally only moving one sausage at a time and every sausage is the same shape. There are more puzzle mechanics at play in Snakebird as well. Sausage Roll was very clever and pure in a way, in that there's really only like three or four types of puzzle elements in it but they interact in a wide variety of ways. Snakebird is more traditional in that it introduces brand new mechanics every now and then, and new shapes/types of blocks etc show up frequently.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

how is it when compared to the holy grail, super smash TV?

Gravy Jones posted:

probably harder, it only takes like maaaaaaaybe 4-6 levels before it decides to break you

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know of a Multiplayer version of a game like Subnautica? I really like exploring looking at fish, but I want guns and to chase down reapers in my sub.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I should probably avoid Snakebird then!

Moreau posted:

Does anyone know anything about Race for the Galaxy?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/579940/Race_for_the_Galaxy/

It seems to be a tablet port? Was that version any good? I'd be keen to pick it up and gift it to some of my friends if it's a decent version

It seems to be a pretty good Implementation. I've watched a couple of people play it on youtube who were familiar with the boardgame and they both approved of it and at worst seemed to have a couple of minor UI criticisms. I'm considering picking it up.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I booted up Snakebird just to see, my gosh that game is the devil. I think I've completed like one of the multi-snake levels.

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone know of a Multiplayer version of a game like Subnautica? I really like exploring looking at fish, but I want guns and to chase down reapers in my sub.

Doesn't seem anything like Subnautica at all but I think Depth has underwater multiplayer. The big thing was always omg you can play as a shark. Looks like it's hovering around 2.5 Battleborns in concurrent players, so you should be able to find games.

kater fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 27, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

tight aspirations posted:

I can do that, if you're okay waiting 12 hours. Friend me on steamcommunity.com/Id/creepyjackalopeeye if so. And thank you, I wanna play it but I'm counting the pennies this sale.

Oh yup, no worries, added you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the recs y'all, thinking Dungeonmans and Dishonored to meet my price limit

Hopper posted:

If you haven't bought these yet, I can hook you up.
I have a KOTOR II and a Goaty edition Goat Simulator key I don't need from humble bundles. Drop me a pm or quote this and they are yours.

If you're willing to part with them then hell yeah I'll take them, thanks! Just PM me.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 27, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I decided to re-install Witcher 3 GOTY thanks to the sale reminding me it existed. I found myself really, really bogged down last time I played: I'd just got to the capital city and it felt like trying to fight off a hundred little gremlins that just wouldn't gently caress off and leave me alone to play the game.

Starting again from scratch, how can I get the most fun experience out of the game? I'm not a completionist, just want to enjoy the story and have a good time. Last time I got to Novgorod (? the capital city).

Cheers,

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Southern Heel posted:

I decided to re-install Witcher 3 GOTY thanks to the sale reminding me it existed. I found myself really, really bogged down last time I played: I'd just got to the capital city and it felt like trying to fight off a hundred little gremlins that just wouldn't gently caress off and leave me alone to play the game.

Starting again from scratch, how can I get the most fun experience out of the game? I'm not a completionist, just want to enjoy the story and have a good time. Last time I got to Novgorod (? the capital city).

Cheers,

Do whatever quests you feel interested in. Most of the sidequests are pretty good and don't just feel like fetch quests. Explore as much or as little as you want for all the little question marks on the map. I personally got really into this game and wanted to see and do everything, until I got to skellige and just B lined the main quest because gently caress boating.

I didn't play the expansions so I can't comment on those.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Larrymer posted:

Do whatever quests you feel interested in. Most of the sidequests are pretty good and don't just feel like fetch quests. Explore as much or as little as you want for all the little question marks on the map. I personally got really into this game and wanted to see and do everything, until I got to skellige and just B lined the main quest because gently caress boating.

I didn't play the expansions so I can't comment on those.

Every part of Witcher 3 is amazing, DLC and side quests included. I think it's the only game I've ever completed four times, and two of those were 100%

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Southern Heel posted:

Same thing happened to me and I'm probably going to give it another shot soon. I get a bit OCD with stuff on the map in open world games and Witcher has a lot of stuff on the map, so I'm going to do my best to ignore a lot of that (and most likely fail) and follow the main story and bigger side quests. Probably going to turn it down to "story mode" difficulty as well as I'm not a fan of the combat. I should also probably spend less time standing there and looking at pretty sunsets.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Edit: first time pocket posting

el3m fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 28, 2017

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Oh yup, no worries, added you.

Huh, I didn't get an invite, but I'm pretty sure I hosed up the link - I'm https://steamcommunity.com/id/CreepyJackalopeEye

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Finally got Dark Souls 3, only to have to refund it because the sound was so messed up. :negative:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm sad to say the insanely cheaper version of Dead Cells is no more. Bundle Stars reduced their discount from 27% to 15% like Steam. There's still the extra 5% coupon (RED5) but it's not like it was....

Found out that by backing Project CARs all those years ago I'm an investor and have been getting paid. I had a phantom $100 sitting in my PayPal. Sadly that barely dents my list for this sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

buy dungeonmans

:yeah:

• Locked thread