Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sonic adventure 2 is actually way fun and probably the only good sonic game ever - the mech and treasure hunt levels are nice changes of pace (unpopular opinion there) it has some killer bossfights, and the go-fast-sonic levels are pretty much giant three minute long setpieces with cool tricks and secrets instead of rows of bottomless pits and spikes everywhere

gently caress the end of that jungle island level where it starts collapsing as you're trying to get to the exit ring tho, i think i could probably beat much of that game without getting hit and still gently caress up horribly on the end of that level three or four times

all the old platformers, as mentioned, give you a shitload of speed and momentum and then by the third world the levels are complex and deadly enough that you'll never use that speed and momentum again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Iwatched this whole loving trailer and I have literally no idea what this game is about. FISH LASER!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Planescape Torment has good art design but bad art, interesting dialogue choices but awful gameplay, and I don't like the main character or Morte

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Djeser posted:

Planescape Torment has good art design but bad art, interesting dialogue choices but awful gameplay, and I don't like the main character or Morte
Yeah the fact that there's a game underneath it seems like an afterthought, it's more like a cool story told at your own pace. Valid criticism.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

this is what video games should be. this is the platonic ideal of the video ghame experience

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah the fact that there's a game underneath it seems like an afterthought, it's more like a cool story told at your own pace. Valid criticism.

I attended a panel that Chris Avellone participated and some dipshit kissed his rear end asking "How did you make such an amazing game with Planescape" and he came back with "I was driven by hatred of everything out at the time" so I guess he just hated gameplay too

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
People that know which people work for which game company are weird. Even weirder when they're all like: 'oh yeah, Mr. Whatshisface tweeted that they were tightening the graphics on level 3' or 'Haha, yeah, ever since Farty McFart left, Indiegames 3000 Inc. just hasn't been the same'

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

How is it any different from knowing which director or production company does movies you like?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

sonic adventure 2 is actually way fun and probably the only good sonic game ever - the mech and treasure hunt levels are nice changes of pace (unpopular opinion there) it has some killer bossfights, and the go-fast-sonic levels are pretty much giant three minute long setpieces with cool tricks and secrets instead of rows of bottomless pits and spikes everywhere

gently caress the end of that jungle island level where it starts collapsing as you're trying to get to the exit ring tho, i think i could probably beat much of that game without getting hit and still gently caress up horribly on the end of that level three or four times

all the old platformers, as mentioned, give you a shitload of speed and momentum and then by the third world the levels are complex and deadly enough that you'll never use that speed and momentum again

the mech levels were loving garbage and felt slapped on at the last minute but yeah the treasure hunt levels were a nice change of pace. they had good music and lots of weirdness and the chao animals/vials gave you some incentive to replay and explore levels. plus the entire upgrade mechanic gave it a bizarro metroidvania aspect to it

the dreamcast has a massive library of actually insanely fun and unique games that don't look good and have no polish or finesse to them at all, and at first glance you would absolutely think were garbage shovelware especially if you had a wii. 1999 was a very different time i guess

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Meridian posted:

How is it any different from knowing which director or production company does movies you like?

It's not.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

:thunk:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

People that know which people work for which game company are weird. Even weirder when they're all like: 'oh yeah, Mr. Whatshisface tweeted that they were tightening the graphics on level 3' or 'Haha, yeah, ever since Farty McFart left, Indiegames 3000 Inc. just hasn't been the same'

Yea, investment companies are weird. Tim Cook? Steve Jobs? who the gently caress are these people anyway?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

shut up blegum posted:

I agree to a point.

I know some people who are aware of certain developers that work in Bioware on the Mass Effect series, or know Indie developers that make garbage mspaint-looking games, and have weirldly strong opinions of these people.

But there are superstars like Notch, Miyamoto, and Romero that are widely known and it isn't weird that people know them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

the dreamcast has a massive library of actually insanely fun and unique games that don't look good and have no polish or finesse to them at all, and at first glance you would absolutely think were garbage shovelware especially if you had a wii. 1999 was a very different time i guess

Even for the time the Dreamcast was exceptionally weird. It was very arcade-y at the worst possible market time to be arcade-y. I mean yeah there was Shenmue and some jRPGs no one cares about, and Phantasy Star Online, but for the most part it was stuff that either was or felt like it belonged in a Japanese arcade-- Jet Set Radio. Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Daytona USA, Seaman, even Sonic Adventure. While that stuff was cool, and you can see the distorted Japanese logic that would make you think it had a market niche, fact is you could buy arcade-y poo poo for all the other consoles and on first glance you couldn't tell the difference.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

an AAA produced fishlaser game is something I would buy immediately

Like Star Wars, except under the sea and you're fishes and crabs :stare:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Even for the time the Dreamcast was exceptionally weird. It was very arcade-y at the worst possible market time to be arcade-y. I mean yeah there was Shenmue and some jRPGs no one cares about, and Phantasy Star Online, but for the most part it was stuff that either was or felt like it belonged in a Japanese arcade-- Jet Set Radio. Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Daytona USA, Seaman, even Sonic Adventure. While that stuff was cool, and you can see the distorted Japanese logic that would make you think it had a market niche, fact is you could buy arcade-y poo poo for all the other consoles and on first glance you couldn't tell the difference.
the arcade stuff and the non-arcade stuff were very well made games though. i'd say the dreamcast has the highest proportion of quality in its game library than any other system

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes, but the point was it didn't sell. Loads of people liked Crazy Taxi/Soul Calibur and heard great things about Shenmue, but they weren't enough to sell the console the way Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy VII, Super Mario 64, DVD functionality, or Halo were.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, but the point was it didn't sell. Loads of people liked Crazy Taxi/Soul Calibur and heard great things about Shenmue, but they weren't enough to sell the console the way Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy VII, Super Mario 64, DVD functionality, or Halo were.

DVD functionality is what really did it, I think.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Those rap songs are really loving terrible though

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Meridian posted:

DVD functionality is what really did it, I think.

This is what made me buy a PS2, and then PS3 for blu-ray, so I agree.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheMostFrench posted:

This is what made me buy a PS2, and then PS3 for blu-ray, so I agree.

DVD players and Blu-ray were really expensive when they first came out. to the point where getting a PS2 was almost comparable in cost. for a while the PS3 was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Who the gently caress uses physical media

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

people in TYooL 2001

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

all sonic vocal music is terrible, but a lot of it has value in being bad to the point where it's endearing in its cheesiness

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

people in TYooL 2001

Those still exist???????

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I would sell my raggedy soul for a remake of TIE Fighter.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The problem with space sims that aren't freespace 2 is they aren't freespace 2.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would sell my raggedy soul for a remake of TIE Fighter.

Like a re-skin, definitely. But games that good are like butterfly wings. You going to trust them to the clumsy hands of (whoever-would-develop-it-probably-loving-ea-the-whores)? We might get more than a remake.

Let us remember always the lesson of Skyrim: beware if you ask game devs for dragons, for dragons you may receive.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yeah EA has the exclusive rights to Star Wars games, you'd be right to feel skeptical about them remaking TIE Fighter

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
In that case, we're lucky flight sims aren't as popular right now as they were back then.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

yeah EA has the exclusive rights to Star Wars games, you'd be right to feel skeptical about them remaking TIE Fighter

EA would focus completely on the multiplayer and forget to include the Secret Order of the Emperor.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Zeroisanumber posted:

EA would focus completely on the multiplayer and forget to include the Secret Order of the Emperor.

No, the Secret Order would be available through paid DLC.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Maybe the Tie Fighter series will relaunch with a thrawn movie tie in.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

get that OUT of my face posted:

the arcade stuff and the non-arcade stuff were very well made games though. i'd say the dreamcast has the highest proportion of quality in its game library than any other system

i spent many a teenage night downloading gigabytes of random dreamcast titles that might have even been so much as mildy entertaining and i don't think i ever downloaded any straight up bad games. hands down the worst ones were the officially licensed star wars games that came with the console given to me.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

facebook jihad posted:

you cant even hear the words. they aren't important. also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCs42XSwI-c

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
EA is already doing their best Tie Fighter remake it's called Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (the fourth Battlefront).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

signalnoise posted:

this may shock and appall you but hulu didn't exist when the ps2 or even ps3 came out and netflix existed only as a service that mailed you actual physical disks, in the mail, that you would then play in your ps2 or ps3

like christ i get it nobody uses physical media these days but we're talking about in teh context of when this poo poo released, don't be such a dumbass

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah playing DVDs was a cool ps2 feature when we were all conned into buying DVDs because they were the future. lol if the industry fooled you twice with blu-rays though, I dunno why you'd buy those, you should have learned your lesson!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr.Smasher posted:

No, the Secret Order would be available through paid DLC.

Oh those fuckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

this may shock and appall you but hulu didn't exist when the ps2 or even ps3 came out and netflix existed only as a service that mailed you actual physical disks, in the mail, that you would then play in your ps2 or ps3

like christ i get it nobody uses physical media these days but we're talking about in teh context of when this poo poo released, don't be such a dumbass

VLC player has existed for a very long time