Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

cheetah7071 posted:

Civ 5 is the best analogy for 4e though

A good game that draws/drew ire for trying to do something different from it's predecessors

Alpha Centauri might be a better metaphor, if they called Alpha Centauri Civ 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

cheetah7071 posted:

Civ 5 is the best analogy for 4e though

A good game that draws/drew ire for trying to do something different from its predecessors

I think you're forgetting how big the changes from civ3 -> civ4 were. civ5 didn't get crap because it changed so much, it got crap because it did it ineptly

(the analogy between the 5s is that they both inexplicably ignored the lessons of the previous game and re-broke stuff the previous game had fixed)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I don't really see how civ 5 works as an "extremely fun and awesome game to play with your friends that goons hate because they don't have any and would rather spend days creating a single character they'll never play."

:munch:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
e: y'know what I'd rather not start an edition war in the civ thread, never mind

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i like all civs, except civ 2, because i never played it, and beyond earth because it felt like i paid full price for a reskin of civ 5

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

cheetah7071 posted:

e: y'know what I'd rather not start an edition war in the civ thread, never mind

Yeah, sorry for tossing gas on that fire.

Anyway, back to multiplayer, anyone up for kicking off a new duel game?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Civ 5 never felt very satisfying compared to 3 and 4. I think it's because the game kind of forces you to play tall so I would have vast swaths of land unoccupied and empty. Wars were never too difficult.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I found the best way to get your value for money in civ5 wars was to engage in air combat. The way air works is you basically get to use unit stacks again, so the AI's overwhelming production advantages are actually relevant and are leveraged decently against you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

you thought BE was good at release so I think I know exactly how much weight to put on your opinion here

I think it's an ambitious game by Civ standards that ended up being less than the sum of its parts but is still far more creative than any recent traditional Civilization game. It's something of a cliche that Civilization games only really get good in their second expansion, and it's a pity Beyond Earth does not appear likely to get one.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cythereal posted:

I think it's an ambitious game by Civ standards that ended up being less than the sum of its parts but is still far more creative than any recent traditional Civilization game. It's something of a cliche that Civilization games only really get good in their second expansion, and it's a pity Beyond Earth does not appear likely to get one.

lol if you really think a franchise whose whole gimmick is plunking historical civilizations into ahistorical environments which then duke it out is supposed to be 'creative'

(Though, I guess you could go really ahistorical and add magic or steampunk or whatever if you wanted, but that's not what people come to Civilization for.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aerdan posted:

lol if you really think a franchise whose whole gimmick is plunking historical civilizations into ahistorical environments which then duke it out is supposed to be 'creative'

(Though, I guess you could go really ahistorical and add magic or steampunk or whatever if you wanted, but that's not what people come to Civilization for.)

Eh. I have a bit of a problem with the Civilization series in that I think that to a great extent it's played out its core concept as well as it could have over its different iterations and different people have their favorites. Creativity is absolutely the lifeblood of the franchise, the original Civilization was a pretty unique game when it was first released and it's the new mechanics and new civilizations that are the selling points for why you should buy the latest game in the series.

Beyond Earth and Call to Power tried to be very different, and while both have their share of problems and failed to make the most of their ambitious, I believe both games have merit. Beyond Earth is still sitting comfortably as my most played game on Steam.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Spring Goon Game Goons, I have my laptop back from the shop and taking my turn right now. So sorry for the delay!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

I wanted to love BE and I tried, tried, tried. I will agree that "Less than the sum of it's parts" is an excellent way to describe the game, especially the expansion which added so very much...but somehow made the game blander.

Basically the biggest problem is that it fell into the trap of over-customization. All those choices seem like a good, even great thing...until you realize that 2/3 to 3/4 always have a "right" answer (global +2 movement to naval units, or a whopping massive, HUGE global +2 to city strength) and eventually everyone becomes bland variations the same 3 factions just with different faces on the diplomatic screen. The faction bonuses weren't strong or different enough to really differentiate and so many mechanics were tossed in without really thinking about them just because they were in Civ V (Traaaade Rooooutes! :argh:).

Best loving espionage in a Civ game in a long while though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey, I want to share a complaint I have about Civ Vi:

Island Plates
Inland Sea

It doesn't rise to the level of the maddening "ok, you're activating this unit JUST KIDDING <map pans rapidly>" but I still end up picking the thing I don't want too often.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homullus posted:

Inland Sea

my favorite thing about lakes in this game is that hootchly pootchly huey teocalli takes extreme precedence over all other tiles for spawning great admirals

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

homullus posted:

It doesn't rise to the level of the maddening "ok, you're activating this unit JUST KIDDING <map pans rapidly>" but I still end up picking the thing I don't want too often.

You can turn this off by editing a config file. I don't remember which one specifically though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Everyone who likes Civ games should try at least the demo for Pre-dynastic Egypt. Ignore the boring-rear end name, I had a blast playing this - was probably the most fun I've had playing a civ-type game in years, and the full game is only £5.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Best loving espionage in a Civ game in a long while though.

I will also defend the tech web to my dying day and wish the main line would implement it or a variant thereof.

The return of sea cities was good and they had some clever mechanics, the unit customization as you advanced to higher tiers was neat, and I liked the orbital layer even if I rarely ended up doing much with it. Best implementation of worker units in a Civ for my money, though I wish I could have pulled a SMAC and slapped some token armor on them to make them surprisingly resilient to barbarians/aliens.

Most of all, though, I'm kind of tired of playing out Civ on Earth with real-world cultures. No other fantasy or sci-fi empire-builder has ever scratched that same turn-based empire builder itch the Civ series (including SMAC and CBERT) does for me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Define "board gamey"

Too simple or shallow mechanics for pretty much everything, also a relatively low number of "game pieces". Think about the trade route mechanics of civ4, or the way Great People worked, there is no way you could simulate that in a board game. Not too say that you need super complex mechanics to make a good game, but in a civ game a complex game system is a major draw of the series to me.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 2, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

I will also defend the tech web to my dying day and wish the main line would implement it or a variant thereof.

The return of sea cities was good and they had some clever mechanics, the unit customization as you advanced to higher tiers was neat, and I liked the orbital layer even if I rarely ended up doing much with it. Best implementation of worker units in a Civ for my money, though I wish I could have pulled a SMAC and slapped some token armor on them to make them surprisingly resilient to barbarians/aliens.

Most of all, though, I'm kind of tired of playing out Civ on Earth with real-world cultures. No other fantasy or sci-fi empire-builder has ever scratched that same turn-based empire builder itch the Civ series (including SMAC and CBERT) does for me.

I want a new Master of Magic with hexes and army combat as well as traditional technologies and magic tech and have end game units be combinations of both. Fast flying jet's with paratrooper wizards that shoot lightning bolts at infantry :allears:

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 2, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

I feel the fact that the web was only three levels deep really is what hindered it. That and that no matter what you played you wanted 75% of the same stuff each game. Like too many of BE's mechanics, they had an good idea...then implemented it with not nearly enough thought, depth or both.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I jumped on the civ5 bandwagon when the complete collection went on sale at some point, then pre-ordered 6 because I'm an out of touch baby I guess.

Everyone seems to be in agreement that this game will get better with some dlc. That said, I like it.

The district and wonder tile placement/bonuses mean I have to chart a city before I settle. It's still 1 - 2 turns for the capital, but city two is always fun.

I like massive webs of trade routes being exclusively the realm of banking empires, everyone else has a smattering to help keep growth up.

I like the subtle leader bonuses, it's balanced and diverse.

It's not better than Civ5 + all dlc, but I'm not in a rush to reinstall 5 when I have John Curtain the Death Bringer to futz around with.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
It's pretty weird that Australia got America's bonus, tho

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the different levels of diplomatic visibility were, but I couldn't find them anywhere online and since the UI is terrible in this game, I wrote them down:

None:
-City Conquests
-Religions Founded
-Declarations of War
-Weapons of Mass Destruction Strikes
-Space Race Projects Completed

Limited:
-Alliances
-Government Changes
-Denunciations
-Cities Founded
-Trade Deals Enacted
-Trade Deals Reneged

Open:
-Districts Constructed
-Great People Recruited
-Hidden Agendas Revealed
-Wonders Started

Secret:
-City-States Influenced
-Civics Completed
-Technologies Researched
-Settlers Trained

Top Secret:
-Weapon of Mass Destruction Built
-Attacks Launched
-Projects Started
-Victory Strategy Changed
-War Preparations

I wonder how well-thought out some of these are, considering you can see a lot of this information in various tabs without any visibility.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I feel the fact that the web was only three levels deep really is what hindered it. That and that no matter what you played you wanted 75% of the same stuff each game. Like too many of BE's mechanics, they had an good idea...then implemented it with not nearly enough thought, depth or both.

I think the really critical part of the tech web's failure was that there was no guidance or thematic cohesiveness. If you say to yourself "I want better Science generation" where can you find it? The answer is, scattered over a handful of techs, many of them not especially close to each other, varying in strength between "powerful" and "comically useless" (I remember one fairly far out in the web was something like "+1 Science and 4 Scientist slots!" But each scientist gave +2 science each. When there are improvements that let your workers give +2 science +1 gold AND whatever the terrain under them natively generated.) And because this is Science Fiction Land, all the tech names give you next to no indication as to what they actually do and all the building icons are inscrutable flat white symbols without any kind of consistent visual language.

The tech web could have been good idea, but man what a poor implementation it got.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Your scouts should have to find orbs that you plug into the web in order to unlock techs, in addition to all other applicable unlock requirements. Or buy an orb for 99¢

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Bluff Buster posted:

I wonder how well-thought out some of these are, considering you can see a lot of this information in various tabs without any visibility.

Are you talking about those messages that flash up and cover the whole screen for a bit at the start of every turn?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Are you talking about those messages that flash up and cover the whole screen for a bit at the start of every turn?

Well, that too.

I was talking about how some of the info you would think you need visibility to see are always available. For example, you can see what cities your opponents have by trading, districts constructed and great people patronized looking at the great people tab (if their GP point went up by one, they probably built the corresponding district). I'm pretty sure you can see exactly who's sending what envoys to city states in the city-state tab as long as you've met that civilization. I can't confirm this right now, but I'm pretty sure you can see denunciations/alliances without visibility too if you look at the leader.

If you know the formula for how your score is calculated, you can also know when technologies and civics are completed (though you don't know which to be fair) and when settlers are created (your score will drop a point for the lost population for the settler. Again to be fair, it won't show if your city grows the same turn you build the settler). You can actually get a lot of good info on your opponents looking at the score if you're insane enough to keep tabs on it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I want a new Master of Magic with hexes and army combat as well as traditional technologies and magic tech and have end game units be combinations of both. Fast flying jet's with paratrooper wizards that shoot lightning bolts at infantry :allears:

Have you played Age of Wonders 3? No jets but it's good.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Everyone who likes Civ games should try at least the demo for Pre-dynastic Egypt. Ignore the boring-rear end name, I had a blast playing this - was probably the most fun I've had playing a civ-type game in years, and the full game is only £5.

I played the demo and it seemed cool. Bought the game for <$10 and I've only beaten on easy mode, run out of time on the more advanced difficulties, but it's a cool concept I like it.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Have you played Age of Wonders 3? No jets but it's good.

Play Age of Wonders 3. Do it for you. Fantastic game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raphus C posted:

Play Age of Wonders 3. Do it for you. Fantastic game.

Im probably alone here that I didnt enjoy it much.

Is a great game, but maybe not for me. The tactical combat gets tiring fast, I ended up using mostly the autocombat option. And then the rest, the city building and management, and research and diplomacy end etc, are all too shallow and simple (because is not the game focus, I know)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 4, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im probably alone here that I didnt enjoy it much.

Is a great game, but maybe not for me. The tactical combat gets tiring fast, I ended up using mostly the autocombat option. And then the rest. the city building and management, and research and diplomacy end etc, are all too shallow and simple (because is not the game focus, I know)

I played Age of Wonders 1 and liked the setting. Age of Wonders 2 and 3 ditched that setting and I've given them a pass as a result.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I would say that the true modern day Master of Magic is actually Endless Legend

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would say that the true modern day Master of Magic is actually Endless Legend

Thought this said Brutal Legend and was really confused for a sec.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I played the demo and it seemed cool. Bought the game for <$10 and I've only beaten on easy mode, run out of time on the more advanced difficulties, but it's a cool concept I like it.

i'd really like to see the same concept applied to other 'beginnings of civilization' scenarios
it's a pretty decent edutainment game imo

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

i'd really like to see the same concept applied to other 'beginnings of civilization' scenarios

The same company also made an ancient Greece game that was pretty good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346810/Marble_Age/

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Thought this said Brutal Legend and was really confused for a sec.

If I ever have an extra couple hundred million dollars lying around, I will fund a Master of Magic-style game in a Frazetta world, with the Brutal Legend soundtrack.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Xenoborg posted:

The same company also made an ancient Greece game that was pretty good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346810/Marble_Age/

oh hey, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AriadneThread posted:

Beat it with most of the mid-level difficulty sliders. 22/33 game score. Cool game imo.