Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like Griffin School from the start. Fat Dad Geralt is canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Armor that is form fitting is weird anyway.

The problem with Griffin school is that the swords aren't griffin-y enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If the second Griffin School mastercrafted bonus was an Igni Boost instead of a Yrden boost it'd be the greatest armor ever. Being able to doublespam signs is pretty great.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Nilfgaardian Armor and Horse set looks absolutely dazzling!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 27, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Ones in which Anna doesn't die and therefore the Baron doesn't either?

how do you feel about adoption

the Crones eat the orphans if you kill the tree spirit

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

If the second Griffin School mastercrafted bonus was an Igni Boost instead of a Yrden boost it'd be the greatest armor ever. Being able to doublespam signs is pretty great.

I like the Yrden boost because combined with the rune that makes alt Yrden spawn normal Yrden on hit makes for an hilarious build. Not particularly efficient when you can burn and or freez everything to death, but lots of fun nonetheless

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Pellisworth posted:

The crones vs tree spirit thing is interesting because it's trading a known, monstrous evil vs an unknown, insane evil.

There's really no choice that doesn't gently caress things up really bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

The tree spirit in her prime did much worse:

She Who Knows posted:

Folk say they were four at first. The Mother, She-Who-Knows, the Lady of the Wood, came here from a faraway land and, since she suffered terribly from loneliness, she made three daughters out of dirt and water.
A long, long time ago the Mother was sole ruler of all of Velen. Her daughters brought her the people's requests and served as her voice. Each spring, sacrifices of grain, animals, and men were made to the Lady of the Wood on her special night. Yet as the years passed, the Lady of the Wood slipped deeper and deeper into madness. Her madness eventually spread over the land - men took to abandoning their homes and setting out into the bog, where they became food for beasts. Before long, Velen was drowning in blood.

The daughters saw their land nearing destruction and took it upon themselves to save it. When spring came once more, and with it the night sacrifices, they killed their mother and buried her in the bog. Her blood watered the oak atop Ard Cerbin, and from then on the tree grew wholesome and hearty fruit for the people. As for the Lady's immortal soul, it refused to leave its beloved land, and so the sisters imprisoned it. To this day it lies trapped beneath the Whispering Hillock, where it thrashes about in powerless rage.
A better question for you is: Do you prefer saving the lives of an entire nation over the lives of a few orphans?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Grouchio posted:

The tree spirit in her prime did much worse:

Maybe, who wrote that book? edit: by which I mean, how do you know it's not Crone propaganda? They rule those lands.

Personally I agree the tree spirit harms more people but it's intentionally ambiguous and mysterious. There isn't a "good" outcome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those little shits were annoying, I didn't miss them one bit.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Releasing the spirit doesn't actually do much to the crones, so there's just one extra evil thing around now if you go down that route.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Grouchio posted:

The Nilfgaardian Armor and Horse set looks absolutely dazzling!

yeah. i wish there was a cosmetic slot for armors, because that armor looks slick as heck.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Where do I sell the massive amount of jewelry from HoS? Does it make more money if I break it down?

I think it does. You can get more from a crafting component gem than from an expertly worked necklace

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The tree spirit doesn't go on a murderous rampage if you sequence break and free it before the crones send you to kill it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Avalerion posted:

That was incredibly lazy, I assume they just didn't know themselves or couldn't come up with a satisfying resolution and that's what this is what we get. :(

I think it was a thematic choice. What it takes to defeat the frost may be mystical, metaphysical, or otherwise not entirely comprehensible in an unreduced manner to somebody with lesser talents than Ciri, and consequently inadequately possible to represent visually - it's effectively a messianic, religious act, and those even in IRL tend to be only approachable through metaphor. When Christ absolves humans of sin, you also don't know how it works metaphysically, you only witness an outward metaphor in the form of crucifixion - objectively no change occurred in the world other than the death of a man, yet it in an unseen way it changed the nature of universe in ways that surpass physical reality. Omitting the scene just reinforces the fact that Ciri basically exists on a different plane than others and her actions transcend humanity.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 27, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The tree spirit doesn't go on a murderous rampage if you sequence break and free it before the crones send you to kill it.

Yes it does, and as a bonus it doesn't help you in any way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lurdiak posted:

Yes it does, and as a bonus it doesn't help you in any way.

Nope, Downwarren doesn't get massacred.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

metallicaeg posted:

I get your point, but games are a visual medium. So, I like to see what happens. Going from the climatic run into the unknown, then fading away to a 6 months later scene, it just kinda left me like "oh, okay, so it's all good now I guess?"

If they showed her defeating it then they lose the "did she or didn't she?" wonder about her death until Geralt meets up with her in the tavern.

On an unrelated note, Roach was ambling about without me in a small village and bumped into a woman who then exclaimed "Are you drunk?!"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lobok posted:

If they showed her defeating it then they lose the "did she or didn't she?" wonder about her death until Geralt meets up with her in the tavern.

Ending: Could have had Geralt ask what was up and she says sealed it in a pocket dimension/send it to the beginning of time/into a black hole or whatever, at least.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

On an unrelated note, Roach was ambling about without me in a small village and bumped into a woman who then exclaimed "Are you drunk?!"

This would explain a lot about Roach's behavior, actually.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm going to spoiler this even though it could be minor. Its about something funny at the beginning of HoS. I was wandering around Oxenfurt and a taxman hollered at me to halt and asked me a bunch of questions about moneymaking exploits that are in the game. I found it hilarious. I have never seen anyone post about it here. Should I post screenshots?

Class Warcraft posted:

:golfclap:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm going to spoiler this even though it could be minor. Its about something funny at the beginning of HoS. I was wandering around Oxenfurt and a taxman hollered at me to halt and asked me a bunch of questions about moneymaking exploits that are in the game. I found it hilarious. I have never seen anyone post about it here. Should I post screenshots?

This sounds awesome, please post screenshots.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Class Warcraft posted:

Roach will eat anything and doesn't care who they bump into on their way over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwWJHBO0kk&t=38s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Avalerion posted:

Ending: Could have had Geralt ask what was up and she says sealed it in a pocket dimension/send it to the beginning of time/into a black hole or whatever, at least.

Yes, although the guy I was quoting was specifically referring to the visuals of what happened.

Class Warcraft posted:

Hey, if he gets into grasses and grains on his own, who's to say he doesn't like a little bit of the fermented stuff when Geralt's not around?

That part was great. Lied through my teeth about everything. Never came back to haunt me, thankfully. I was fully expecting him to have some kind of Velen IRS enforcer squad try to take me down.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The ending was obviously the way it was because CDProjekt have no idea how Ciri is supposed to defeat this malevolent entity they have turned the White Frost into, duh.

Sounds great, post them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure I ever understood the criticism about the ending, leaving it ambiguous was perfect. And since these stories are sort of told thru Dandelion's perspective it makes sense that he'd be like "poof, Magic poo poo happened, I guess, the end!"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Don't really get the idea that the White Frost is ever a malevolent entity either. Seems to be the exact same entropy problem it's always been. :shrug:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I was wondering about Ghost Mode. The developers say that it's intended to be run in tandem with Preparations, and Preparations mostly looks...annoying and boring? Is it actually really cool in practice, or should I just try Ghost without it?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Don't really get the idea that the White Frost is ever a malevolent entity either. Seems to be the exact same entropy problem it's always been. :shrug:

It's mostly because in the books it was an inevitable ice age, instead of a dimension-hopping frost phenomenon that can be stopped by The Chosen One.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Which arguably makes comming up with a solution even harder than if it was the former.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Beat Witcher 2 last night and realized I never got the opportunity to get a tattoo. 😕

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Gotta get drunk with your Blue Stripes mates to get that.

Protip: Whenever you have the option to drink in a Witcher game, get smashed.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

10 Beers posted:

Beat Witcher 2 last night and realized I never got the opportunity to get a tattoo. 😕

I completely missed that house the first time I played. Having a terrible sense of direction and place memory is the worst, I still don't know how to get anywhere in Vergen except by using the main road.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Tulip posted:

I was wondering about Ghost Mode. The developers say that it's intended to be run in tandem with Preparations, and Preparations mostly looks...annoying and boring? Is it actually really cool in practice, or should I just try Ghost without it?

I'm currently playing just Ghost Mode with no preparations and I don't think adding preparations would really help. I agree with you, it simply sounds annoying and boring, and Ghost works fine without it. I don't find it particularly more meaningful that I need to buy extra saltpeter instead of buying extra alcohol. Ghost mode is very much a 'vanilla with different numbers and slight adjustments' type mod, so if you don't think you would like preparations in your normal game, don't bother.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

10 Beers posted:

I completely missed that house the first time I played. Having a terrible sense of direction and place memory is the worst, I still don't know how to get anywhere in Vergen except by using the main road.
You get it in Flotsam drinking with the Blue Stripes.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

[/quote]

Ahh, I thought it was in Vergen. I think I still have a save there I can use. Thanks!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

10 Beers posted:

Ahh, I thought it was in Vergen. I think I still have a save there I can use. Thanks!
lol @ multiquoting. But yeah, as long as you havent done the part where you give Iorveth his sword or not I think you should be able to do it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Didn't mean to imply it was in Vergen, just going off on a tangent about how that town is also terrible.
I simply never went into the house where the Blue Stripes are stationed at all during my first playthrough.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Who plays RPGs without barging into and looting every single hovel you come across??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

Didn't mean to imply it was in Vergen, just going off on a tangent about how that town is also terrible.
I simply never went into the house where the Blue Stripes are stationed at all during my first playthrough.
I figured as much but I multiquoted to be sure, since I wanted to make sure 10 Beers knew / didnt get confused.