Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nina posted:

Honestly I just like that they're willing to break out of the formula for the DLC. I wonder what they have in store for Episode Ignis

Cooking Mama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nina posted:

Honestly I just like that they're willing to break out of the formula for the DLC. I wonder what they have in store for Episode Ignis

Wheres Waldo

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I'm finally going to start a playthrough of this. Is there anything I should know before beginning that you wish you'd known?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wish I knew the game wasn't finished and I should have just waited 2 years for the version that's done.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
if you played the game i'm pretty sure it was finished

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ellaybee posted:

I'm finally going to start a playthrough of this. Is there anything I should know before beginning that you wish you'd known?

You can turn off the 'use an item' animation. This is highly recommended after you've seen them once.

Don't do hunts unless you're really hard up for cash. There is a total of one interesting hunt, that you get from the chocobo farm.

You do different attacks by holding different directions. Some weapons like the great swords have unique attacks if you attack, pause and, attack again.

Magic is overpowered if you know what you're doing. It's not really necessary unless you do late game optional stuff.

Don't be afraid to explore, but there's no need to overdo it either . Most optional dungeons have sidequests attached to them so no need to discover them by yourself.

HP works differently than in other FF games. Some attacks lowers your total HP which can only be healed by stronger items like elixirs. If your HP is zero, you can't attack until you heal yourself with a phoenix down or your pals help you. Same goes for them. You die if your maximum HP is zero.

Ignis has some extremely useful specials so make sure to unlock them.

Food gives useful buffs. Make sure to camp everywhere you can as some will trigger optional scenes. There's also a motel that has a very nice scene if you stay the night.

The goal of the game is to have a rad journey with your buds, so enjoy the ride! Be nice to Prompto.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 15, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ellaybee posted:

Gamestop will give you $10 for trade-in value.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Renoistic posted:

(helpful info)

Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ellaybee posted:

The game does XP a little differently. You earn it throughout from battles and quests but you don't use it until you rest or finish the chapter. You should have access to the XP ring that lets you not use it when you rest / end a chapter. With it, you can game this system and only use the XP when you rest in a nice hotel with an XP multiplier. This can give you a big boost in levels / ap.

You don't necessarily need to min/max XP to get through the game but sometimes the game carries you through certain segments of the story with no chance to rest XP so you end up using it at 1x.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Nina posted:

A racing game, but you navigate through echolocation like that blind girl horror game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Renoistic posted:

You can turn off the 'use an item' animation. This is highly recommended after you've seen them once.

Wait, what the gently caress?? Was this always in the game? Holy poo poo I can't count how many times I got pissed off because the party kept getting knocked around mid animation.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Epi Lepi posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?? Was this always in the game? Holy poo poo I can't count how many times I got pissed off because the party kept getting knocked around mid animation.

Yeah since day 1. I started using it after I finished the main game and started doing optional dungeons, and it was a godsend.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Nina posted:

their plans for ffxv for the next year was already leaked, including Ignis' dlc.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'm so glad Aranea is in it because she's actually the coolest character in the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIbj1u7Sdgk

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Just give us playable Aranea already. Also give us everything else, but especially that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That trailer just reminded me of how amazing it was to hear Ardyn's VA saying Prompto's lines.

Nina posted:

I'm so glad Aranea is in it because she's actually the coolest character in the game

Gologle posted:

Just give us playable Aranea already. Also give us everything else, but especially that.

:agreed:

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 21, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
This loving game. :psyduck:

I'm dragging a blind man around a dungeon watching him trip and fall on every obstacle while Gladiolus chimes in with dickish comments.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Speaking of Iggy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAntC6OKlPA

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Wow that's a way longer wait compared to the other episodes so hopefully it's big.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trailer doesn't even hint at a cooking mini-game? The gently caress?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trailer doesn't even hint at a cooking mini-game? The gently caress?

I would buy this.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

So magic is apparently awesome. I am on chapter 6 and have a decent understanding of elemancy: what does everyone recommend I start doing to better take advantage of this poo poo? Currently I'm just making a bunch of multicast poo poo with 100+ potentcy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Anyone tried any of these sick monster jumps they apparently added? I'm wondering if its a post-game thing or you can just hit it up whenever, seems like you could break the sequencing with a little effort if you can get it right away.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Professor of Cats posted:

So magic is apparently awesome. I am on chapter 6 and have a decent understanding of elemancy: what does everyone recommend I start doing to better take advantage of this poo poo? Currently I'm just making a bunch of multicast poo poo with 100+ potentcy.

That's really about it. I hoarded the EXP+ items and always used Tri+cast stuff. Never found the game difficult. They gave me a ring of ultimate doom later on in the game and I said "oh, that's nice" and went back to lobbing elemental grenades.

Oh, you can get the potency higher by using all 3 elements in your mixes.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Posting from mobile so I'm going to timg this just in case, but lmao

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wrist Watch posted:

So glad it wasn't just me.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

So is Prompto coming out in 40 min?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Wrist Watch posted:

This robot is sexing supe hot Aryan blond bois and basically your loving stupid. How? Watch this trailer!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
6 months for the last dlc seems excessive

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guw posted:

So is Prompto coming out in 40 min?

I think it was obvious to everyone anyway

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Norns posted:

Square Enix is extremely dumb

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ellaybee posted:

I wish I knew the game was utter shite and would have never bothered

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

fridge corn posted:

This.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I think it was obvious to everyone anyway

Yeah, and he missed pride week

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ellaybee posted:

I wished I played the game after all the DLCs came in, and maybe I would've gotten a coherent story.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So Episode Prompto is $6 on the store with no way to download it for season pass holders. :krad:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Oh poo poo, didn't realize that was a problem with the DLC itself. I thought it was a store issue. What a pain

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

lol gently caress

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

fridge corn posted:

Ignore this big gay baby, driving around with your bros hunting monsters and camping rules, and that's like 80% of the game.

There is a real bad forced stealth section later on and the plot falls apart pretty hard once you leave the first continent, but it's still good times overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have the season pass and just got the DLC no problem. I'm in the EU though.

Also the stealth sections don't actually force you to use stealth so go wild if you want.

• Locked thread