Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the opening to that chapter is amazing, full eyes is the best

It's awesome when they make him look exactly like Thorfinn when he gets mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hamelekim posted:

18 pages a month... ugh. At least give us 25, it's killing me.

My thoughts exactly. Paired with this story arc, it's just... ugh.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I really liked this chapter. Garm's whole plan is kinda contrived, but it's a good way to challenge Thorfinn's pacifism. I hope he beats up Garm and leaves him tied up for Thorkell like Batman.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Begemot posted:

I really liked this chapter. Garm's whole plan is kinda contrived, but it's a good way to challenge Thorfinn's pacifism. I hope he beats up Garm and leaves him tied up for Thorkell like Batman.

Seems appropriate, given that his plan is classic comic super villain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

Leaving someone who Thorkell hates tied up for Thorkell isn't any better than killing them yourself. Hopefully Thorkell will have already wrapped things up by the time Thorfinn gets there. Either that or Thorfinn walks freely through the battlefield as Hild crossbow snipes anyone who tries to attack him.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Don't tell Tileke, but Otoyomegatari 63 has some good lookin' birds

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Wait, are you Duralumin?

yeah but ssh it's a secret

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 6, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that's a big bird

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mori this looks bizarrely terrible

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I can't fuckin believe they transplanted his head onto an older more built guy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Don't tell Tileke, but Otoyomegatari 63 has some good lookin' birds

yeah but ssh it's a secret

Heh.
Sad Amir is :(

Also last page, panel two: needs an "in", doesn't it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Bow practice is supposed to make your right arm a lot buffer than the left one. WHERE"S MY REALISM MORI?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Actually it depends on your dominant eye
:science:

(I shoot leftie because I'm left eye dominant. Also their style of archery probably pushes with the holding hand as well, which builds different muscles in each arm.)

(Bows are weird.)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Steppe peoples tended to always to use right hand draw, because they liked to all shoot in the same direction when riding. You might be right about the push draw though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I would like to think that in a way it works, because kids his age do look awkward in their adolescent years with the combo of hard work and the baby face.

But yeah, it's weird anyways.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So did Ad Astra just vanish or? Haven't seen anything about it in a long time.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of Thorkell Saga - http://bato.to/reader#d8fbb8736840ecbd

Thorkell vs Garm! :swoon:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

JosephWongKS posted:

I was expecting Sigurd to fight him but this is good too. :allears:

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

JosephWongKS posted:

I. JUST. WANT. TO. FIGHT

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JosephWongKS posted:

man, if i had been askeladd i would have ended up wanting all vikings dead too. it just gets tedious

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I want Garm to be pasted on the ground tbh

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sig's chill buddies who respond to his "YOU'RE NOT MY FRIENDS YOU'RE MY MINIONS" with "nah we're totally the only friends you have" rule. This series has so many great side characters.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why did Floki even try and negotiate with the big guy? Surely he's heard the empty barrel of Saxon beer theory of conflict before.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, if i had been askeladd i would have ended up wanting all vikings dead too. it just gets tedious

"Askeladd did nothing wrong!"
:godwinning:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"Askeladd did nothing wrong!"
:godwinning:

this but unironically

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Rodyle posted:

I want Garm to be pasted on the ground tbh

Same. So far I've found all the side-characters to be complex or funny or both, but Garm is neither.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Gyges posted:

Why did Floki even try and negotiate with the big guy? Surely he's heard the empty barrel of Saxon beer theory of conflict before.

Every volume has show that Floki believes everyone thinks like a dynast. He's obsessed with succession and power politics, so everyone else must be too. Clearly, everyone must be fighting for personal gain, rather than silly things like honor or fun, right?

I can't believe it's taken this long for Floki to learn he's in Vinland Saga, not Crusader Kings II.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pierson posted:

Sig's chill buddies who respond to his "YOU'RE NOT MY FRIENDS YOU'RE MY MINIONS" with "nah we're totally the only friends you have" rule. This series has so many great side characters.

If you like this camaraderie I heartily recommend golden kamui

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Golden Kamui fuckin' rules.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It really does. It's fun getting manga vaguely related to the Russo-Japanese War. There was also that sabretooth tiger one but what with the giant tigers and it being Not-Russia versus Not-Japan it wasn't exactly historical

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
golden kamui is about as realistic as vinland saga.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Really looking forward to read the next chapter, in Thorkell we trust.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Garm is irritating but I have the hope that it's purposeful and will pay off; VS has been really well written throughout and I'm super psyched to see how this plays out

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

gently caress pacifism, I wanna see a giant viking stomp a dude to death

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

team overhead smash posted:

In a way, that's supporting pacifism because it allows Thorfinn to keep his going. If these two idiots love fighting so much, let 'em fight.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

Well, there is a tv show you'd probably like.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

thanks, now I have to change my pants

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

he doesn't do much stomping per se

e: though irl, he did beat a record previously set by a mythological character (the character broke his back doing it, he did not)

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 1, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

he doesn't do much stomping per se

e: though irl, he did beat a record previously set by a mythological character (the character broke his back doing it, he did not)

Please elaborate

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Wikipedia posted:

Orm Storolfsson, also known as Orm Storolfsson the Strong (fl. 1000 AD) was an Icelandic Viking strongman who gained considerable attention during his lifetime for extraordinary feats of strength. He is documented in the Icelandic Saga book to have walked three steps with the mast of Ormrinn Langi, weighing over 650 kilograms (1,430 lb) and 10 metres (33 ft) in length, on his shoulders before breaking his back. It took some 50 men to place the ship’s mast on his shoulders due to its extreme weight.

Wikipedia posted:

Hafþór Júlíus "Thor" Björnsson is an Icelandic professional strongman, actor, and former professional basketball player. He is best known for his role as Ser Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane in the HBO series Game of Thrones.
[...]
On 31 January 2015, Hafþór beat a 1,000-year-old record set by Orm Storolfsson at the World's Strongest Viking competition in Norway, where he carried a 10-metre-long (33 ft), 650-kilogram (1,430 lb) log for five steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUrXJNcS_8