Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Never stop Tones. The true hero of the opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I too agree that we should keep jihadis off the streets and stop hate preachers via better use of our armed forces by letting them shoot to kill

*simultaneously fellates self and violently shits into own mouth*
*is Tony Abbott*

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I'm starting to think that this Tony Abbott bloke is a bit of a pest. He's distracting everyone from the Greens splits.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm so sick of floor memes.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If you ever hear anyone argue that increasing supply is the solution to the housing affordability crisis then you can safely assume that they are an idiot.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/census-2016-almost-one-in-five-homes-built-in-australia-are-unoccupied/ar-BBDjXWd?li=AAgfIYZ&ocid=iehp posted:

If you're wondering why Australia's record-breaking residential construction boom has done little to ease housing affordability in Australia's largest cities, perhaps it's because many of the homes built are currently unoccupied.

Kristina Clifton, economist at the Commonwealth Bank, explains:

There has been a lot of talk in the press about foreigners purchasing new apartments and then leaving them empty. The government is trying to deter this type of activity with a new vacancy tax for foreigners introduced in the latest Federal Budget in May. The Victorian Government is also introducing a similar tax. It’s been difficult to work out the extent to which this is happening. But the Census data tell us that the proportion of dwellings that are unoccupied increased by 0.5 percentage points (ppts) to 11.2% over the four years to 2016. The increase was 0.2 ppts larger than over the four years to the 2011 Census. Of the additional stock built over the four years to 2016, around 17% has been left unoccupied. One caveat however is that we don’t know the ownership split between domestic and foreigners owners for this unoccupied housing stock. But regardless of the ownership, new supply has had to increase at a faster rate than otherwise in order to keep up with demand.

Regardless of whether they were purchased by locals or foreign investors, close to one in five new dwellings built over that period was unoccupied on census night, according to the CBA's analysis.

And, in absolute terms, over one million dwellings nationwide are currently unoccupied.

Along with an upward revision to population growth and an unchanged national average of 2.6 persons per dwelling, it suggests that underlying demand for housing is a little stronger than what many people were expecting, helping to explain why housing costs haven't really responded in Australia's largest centres.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
2013 Stop the boats
2017 Nukes on the u-boats

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bogan King posted:

I'm starting to think that this Tony Abbott bloke is a bit of a pest. He's distracting everyone from the Greens splits.

hi Lid

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The greens have always been bougie opportunists looking to sell enviro products and manipulate the market.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Join Salt

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

God I hope Abbott never quits.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Abbott is going to live out his life long ambition to be Billy Hughes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Either he deeply believes anyone would trust him as PM again, or he knows deep down it will never happen but has nothing else to strive for. Either way it's glorious to watch.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Senor Tron posted:

Either he deeply believes anyone would trust him as PM again, or he knows deep down it will never happen but has nothing else to strive for. Either way it's glorious to watch.

He's alongside Billy McMahon for worst PM in history and that's the entire shortlist. To know that every rival PM in his political career, no matter how much they are frauds, gently caress ups, or powerless will be remembered more fondly and better than him must be loving his ego. He's trying to save his wikipedia article section under "Legacy".

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/homestar_ebooks/status/822473768035454977

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

It's worse than that, he's channelling the ghost of BA Santamaria and I would not be surprised if a resurrection of the DLP by another name was soon to follow. Then spots on the ABC to whine about various issues every week.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

To be fair that probably isn't the worst idea. If we're going to get new submarines they might as well be able to go years without refueling

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

gay picnic defence posted:

To be fair that probably isn't the worst idea. If we're going to get new submarines they might as well be able to go years without refueling

(We don't have crews for them)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Lid posted:

He's alongside Billy McMahon for worst PM in history and that's the entire shortlist. To know that every rival PM in his political career, no matter how much they are frauds, gently caress ups, or powerless will be remembered more fondly and better than him must be loving his ego. He's trying to save his wikipedia article section under "Legacy".

I wonder if he's insulated from the truth by the soothing praise of sycophants like Bolt.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lid posted:

457s my friend

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snoremac posted:

I wonder if he's insulated from the truth by the soothing praise of sycophants like Bolt.

Probably, and that's probably why he keeps sniping and generally carrying on to undermine the PM because he thinks that he's the anointed one

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Malcolm Turnbull provided a character reference for an AFL player at a tribunal hearing for knocking out an opponent on field. The tribunal took less than 5 minutes to find the player guilty.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MonoAus posted:

What's the last one supposed to mean?

It means get rid of the HRC and 18C.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone remember Helen Dale/Darville/Demidenko?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/dale-pulls-tweets?utm_term=.gkyeMB4pJ#.stBmxlNPq

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lid posted:

As a rule of thumb the size of the Submarine Arm is driven by the number of qualified crew at sea, for every person at sea the Arm should contain another 1.6 – 1.8 people. So the crew size of the chosen SSN is a key determinant. For a fleet of ten of the larger British or American SSNs, an Australian submarine arm of about 3,400 would be required. The smaller French SSN would require half this number.

Australia currently has a submarine arm of about 600—there’s no credible way to grow the additional qualified manpower while overcoming the technical challenges of a transition to nuclear propulsion in time to replace the Collins class.

The Collins class has a finite life and if we embark on an under-resourced transition we stand the risk of having no operational submarine capability in the 2030s and 2040s.

The lower risk starting point is to build up to 9 conventional submarines, which would require about 1,500 in the submarine arm, bulked up with additional marine engineering officers and technicians to provide the manpower base to undertake the transition to SSN.

Modern conventional submarines, with air independent propulsion, carrying similar combat system and weapons can prevail against an SSN—the key factor is training and crew preparation.

The manpower lead-time of 15 years for nuclear propulsion would require us to start now on the process to train/recruit the nuclear expertise and plan for the transition to facilitate a final decision in 2030.

At that point the lead-time injected by the technical and logistic issues would entail a further 15 years before commissioning Australia’s first SSN, about 2046, in lieu of our tenth new conventional.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Yes, and I'm not clicking that link because I'm still sick to gently caress of her.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Are clean coal-fired submarines an option?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/heldavidson/status/879569865790562304

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

I think the answer to everything you said is "yes".

^ I know exactly what buttons she clicked to make the map look like that and she is a loving moron who doesn't know how to interpret data.

Oh wait that was your joke. Sorry.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 27, 2017

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Shorten announced the ALP will reverse the penalty rates cut if they win the next election.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Shorten announced the ALP will reverse the penalty rates cut if they win the next election.

A no brainer policy for anyone who isn't a monster, also as it doesn't come out of the taxation coffers and would actually increase government revenue since people who get penalty rates also pay payroll tax.

But somewhere a business owner will be crying that they can't afford a fourth yacht due to their lovely business management skills and having to pay their workers fair wages while they jerk off snorting cocaine every Sunday.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Senor Tron posted:

Tones genuinely believes he will be PM again one day. Had he not so blatantly and ceaselessly white anted, it might have happened. Problem is, he's been on such an obvious path of pure bloody vengeance and revenge, people who might have backed him otherwise will be too afraid to do so, just out of self-preservation and fear that he'll go after them next.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Whitlam posted:

Tones genuinely believes he will be PM again one day. Had he not so blatantly and ceaselessly white anted, it might have happened. Problem is, he's been on such an obvious path of pure bloody vengeance and revenge, people who might have backed him otherwise will be too afraid to do so, just out of self-preservation and fear that he'll go after them next.

I could easily believe Abbot believes that. He's never worked a real job and probably believes it's his Manifest Destiny or some poo poo.

Took the "born to rule" very much to heart I expect, like the rest of them do.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

She does on to say that she doesn't know anything about stats, and in the next breath starts talking about correlations. :(

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

ewe2 posted:

It's worse than that, he's channelling the ghost of BA Santamaria and I would not be surprised if a resurrection of the DLP by another name was soon to follow. Then spots on the ABC to whine about various issues every week.

Wish he'd channel the ghost of Harold Holt.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

I think there was a degree of naivety when Keating introduced his changes (both under Hawke and as PM). Labor genuinely thought they were winning and would be in power for eternity. They thought class war was over because their base had built lives in which their children were attending universities, owned homes, whatever. Then the new set of policy levers got handed to the liberals and the levers were ones that they enjoyed pulling.

We essentially had to float the dollar and needed to reform IR, but Labor didn't go far enough in the accords and install a German style labour union inclusivity pact or something similar, so the whole thing went to the poo poo and bogged unions (even the good ones) down in busy work, which was the end of collective power. You can't hire enough people to properly engage in thousands of EBAs a year. When you as an organiser are negotiating with a guy who is doing one EBA and focusing on it all day every day while you are racing around in the car trying to negotiate 15 concurrently, something has to break. The thing that breaks for organisers is usually their brains as they spend 80 hours a week working without a regular sleep pattern as they hold meeting at 6am and 11pm on the same day, then work office hours, then have a meeting at 12am the same day. An organiser is a perpetually on worker. It's a nightmare lifestyle when you start to hit the wall and the flames of righteousness start to dim and all you can think is "gently caress, I'd love to just go home and watch television without fixating on my next appointment in 3 hours".

The whole thing tends to eventually reward "work smart" organisers, many of which are still fantastic and do great things, but it also opens the door wide for apparatchiks with a five year plan for politics, or it results in workers at low density work sites being ignored due to workload. It also punishes good organisers with divorce and poo poo personal/family lives because they're never at home. I recall one famous meeting where one of our country organisers (who is a loving legendary human) requested a life size cardboard of himself. When asked why replied "so I can leave it at home so the kids don't forget what I look like." I laughed but it carried enough truth to be mildly depressing.

e: TLDR; the 3rd way looked amazing in 1985 but it turns out that war never changes

A few pages back but historical politics and labour relations is something that is very interesting to me, who only got into politics ~2008. We voted yes on an enterprise agreement recently that was sheer dogshit, the employers refused to ever negotiate in good faith and just submitted the same terrible offer over and over again four times until employees just sort of gave in I guess. Doesn't help that union membership is probably <10% at my workplace. Always interested to hear about how things were in the 80's/90's because things seem so dire and people so uninterested in labour relations that I wonder how we ever got the conditions that are being stripped away today.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wheezle posted:

Wish he'd channel the ghost of Harold Holt.

Tony will never be pro-China

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NTRabbit posted:

As a rule of thumb the size of the Submarine Arm is driven by the number of qualified crew at sea, for every person at sea the Arm should contain another 1.6 – 1.8 people. So the crew size of the chosen SSN is a key determinant. For a fleet of ten of the larger British or American SSNs, an Australian submarine arm of about 3,400 would be required. The smaller French SSN would require half this number.

Australia currently has a submarine arm of about 600—there’s no credible way to grow the additional qualified manpower while overcoming the technical challenges of a transition to nuclear propulsion in time to replace the Collins class.

The Collins class has a finite life and if we embark on an under-resourced transition we stand the risk of having no operational submarine capability in the 2030s and 2040s.

The lower risk starting point is to build up to 9 conventional submarines, which would require about 1,500 in the submarine arm, bulked up with additional marine engineering officers and technicians to provide the manpower base to undertake the transition to SSN.

Modern conventional submarines, with air independent propulsion, carrying similar combat system and weapons can prevail against an SSN—the key factor is training and crew preparation.

The manpower lead-time of 15 years for nuclear propulsion would require us to start now on the process to train/recruit the nuclear expertise and plan for the transition to facilitate a final decision in 2030.

At that point the lead-time injected by the technical and logistic issues would entail a further 15 years before commissioning Australia’s first SSN, about 2046, in lieu of our tenth new conventional.

Just going to quote this forever whenever moar subz comes up. People don't seem to realise submarines are a very technical investment with a sizable qualified crew and that in truth a lot of people dont want to be on sub crews because its so claustrophobic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

NTRabbit posted:

Tony will never be pro-China

I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Lid posted:

a lot of people dont want to be on sub crews because its so claustrophobic.

No sunlight, lovely conditions, have to live in Rockingham, limited opportunities to smoke, sharing sleep spaces, working with weirdos etc.

• Locked thread