Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sparkmaster posted:

Isn't that how the whole bounty hunting industry in the US works? I always thought it was the bondsman bringing back absconders so they could get their capital back.

Bounty Hunting GWM?

That's the point of that comment, isn't it? A judge sets an amount for bail. If you or someone on your behalf can come up with the bail amount, that is transferred to the court. If you show up for all of your proceedings, the amount gets refunded.

But if you can't afford it, you go to a bail bondsman. Instead of putting up the full bail amount, you or your agent pays 10% and the bondsman puts up the remainder of the amount. If you abscond at that point, the bondsman is on the hook for the full amount. But he can hire a bounty hunter to track you down and get you into court so he can recover the remaining 90%.

Or in context, if his friend is going to a bail bondsman he only needs $500. The $5,000 amount is only applicable if he is paying the bail directly. Perhaps the actual bail amount is $50,000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or in context, if his friend is going to a bail bondsman he only needs $500. The $5,000 amount is only applicable if he is paying the bail directly. Perhaps the actual bail amount is $50,000?
No, because he states in the thread that he will get the $5000 back, minus $500 for the bondsman. So yeah, he dumb-dumb.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

GamingHyena posted:

That isn't even how bonding works. If you have a $5,000 bail you pay a bondsman usually 10% and they keep your $500 and put up $5,000. So he only needs $500.

If you're putting up the full $5,000 in cash then you don't need a bondsman.

The court could have ordered a cash-only bail bond. Which usually means the defendant was particularly lovely - failed to show up for previous court appearances, failure to pay fines, out-of jurisdiction warrant, etc. It happens.

In those cases it can still make sense to go through though a registered bond provider. If the friend/family posts the cash to the court directly they can hold it, sometimes even all of it, against unpaid fees, etc. A bondsman usually can avoid that. Not that it gets the defendant out of paying those, just shields whoever is putting up bail from getting stuck with it.

However in that case you'll need to front the entire bail to the bondsman, who will charge you 8-10% (the amount is usually legally mandated) as usual on it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's the point of that comment, isn't it? A judge sets an amount for bail. If you or someone on your behalf can come up with the bail amount, that is transferred to the court. If you show up for all of your proceedings, the amount gets refunded.

I legitimately had no idea that was the case, I just always thought it was super expensive to get bailed out of jail whenever I heard bail totals in movies/tv and stuff. :eng99:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Power of Pecota posted:

I legitimately had no idea that was the case, I just always thought it was super expensive to get bailed out of jail whenever I heard bail totals in movies/tv and stuff. :eng99:

As with all things in the USA, it varies from state to state. Some states have the courts set bond / bail at a low dollar amount, some states have courts set bail / bond at a much higher amount where bondsmen take a larger part in the judicial process. Of course, the varying nature of the crimes mean different bail / bond values. Misdemeanors and non-violent felonies generally have lower bail / bonds than violent crimes or egregious white collar crime.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It can lead to some serious abuses, such as poor people pleading guilty to crimes they didn't commit because they can't afford bail and can't afford to miss work while they are sitting in jail. Of course, they are then charged a fine they can't afford, or sentenced to probation or community service requirements that they can't meet because every moment of their time is spent working or taking care of dependents.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 26, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

John Smith posted:

Just to clarify, I 100% believe in victim blaming for rape and sky diving as well. Not joking.

Not for choice of clothing though. More for practical choices like placing yourself within an extreme risk environment and engaging in no protective measures. Rapists gonna rape, victims don't necessarily have to victim. I don't engage in risky behaviour, why are you entitled to engage in risky behaviour?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Friendly reminder to everyone to not post gigantic obvious derail bombs in the BWM thread :angel:

(John I was gonna send you a PM but you don't have plat :/ Email me at byob.psl@gmail.com if you like, but don't feel obligated)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am here to troll this thread with pictures of an expensive horse bridesmaids dress

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Brides-neiiiighed?

Bridles-neiiighed?

I'll see myself out.

April
Jul 3, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Brides-neiiiighed?

Bridles-neiiighed?

I'll see myself out.

Well, SOMEBODY is feeling his oats.

Content:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6jma8z/buying_a_house_in_bay_area/?st=j4eo2guh&sh=907f1ad9

quote:

I've been a frequent reader of personalfinance, and had a qq. I'm a 24M who makes $100K, soon to be $120K. I have ~60K in liquid assets and ~40K in 401K. I'm also expected to get a ~30K bonus, pre-tax in ~1 year.
I am considering buying a house in the Bay Area for ~950K. I know this is a stretch, but my dad is willing to help put in ~250K as the down payment.
The idea would be to rent the house for a while, before moving in. Does this make financial sense? I'm worried about being priced out of the Bay Area market long-term, as I know I want to live here.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Humble brag posts are old and boring

And before someone jumps down my throat about the salary/mortgage ratio, if his dad is sitting on 250k liquid he can probably do whatever he wants and be fine. If anything it's more of a dad wants the property for investment reasons but will let junior pretend to buy it and be his own man.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 26, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Brides-neiiiighed?

Bridles-neiiighed?

I'll see myself out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Virtue posted:

Humble brag posts are old and boring

And before someone jumps down my throat about the salary/mortgage ratio, if his dad is sitting on 250k liquid he can probably do whatever he wants and be fine. If anything it's more of a dad wants the property for investment reasons but will let junior pretend to buy it and be his own man.

They'll be fine, but my objection would not be the ratio, but my belief that the bay area is in one of the biggest real estate bubbles in our lifetimes and he's afraid of being "priced out" of it.

Quick, buy high!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

But what if the horse catches the thrown bouquet?

Would it just eat it or does it have to get married or what

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In that case it gets to pick a bridesmaid.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Subjunctive posted:

In that case it gets to pick a bridesmaid.

No, a groomsman.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

therobit posted:

No, a groomsman.

*rimshot*

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Update on one of my favorite BWM stories of all time:

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/879461686264168448

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dang it Bobby...

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004
Saw this on imgur and chuckled. In 1986 United Way of America released 1.5 million balloons in Cleveland and

Source
A news article with more details

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

MaiaN posted:

Saw this on imgur and chuckled. In 1986 United Way of America released 1.5 million balloons in Cleveland and

Source

Oh man, way to bury the lede, this balloonfest thing in general was amazingly BWM! They spent half a million dollars releasing those stupid balloons and got sued multiple times over it. Two people drowned who *maybe* could have been saved if the coast guard hadn't been grounded by those balloons. Amazing.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There was a period in the 80s when those balloon releases were super popular at everything for some stupid reason. I remember thinking how stupid it was back then, like you're going to try and set a record encasing as much helium in plastic as possible and then just throwing that poo poo in the environment?

Of course if you dared point out how loving stupid this was back then you'd get ridiculed for being "no fun" or even worse, the most dreaded insult in all of the 1980s, someone might call you a hippie human being. I remember being in Kansas City for one and it was gonna be the record and word was finally gonna get out that this was the fountain city and they'd finally get some tourism dollars! So loving stupid, all the people in charge always were.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MaiaN posted:

Source

Balloons are the most whimsical method of littering

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

There was a period in the 80s when those balloon releases were super popular at everything for some stupid reason. I remember thinking how stupid it was back then, like you're going to try and set a record encasing as much helium in plastic as possible and then just throwing that poo poo in the environment?

Of course if you dared point out how loving stupid this was back then you'd get ridiculed for being "no fun" or even worse, the most dreaded insult in all of the 1980s, someone might call you a hippie human being. I remember being in Kansas City for one and it was gonna be the record and word was finally gonna get out that this was the fountain city and they'd finally get some tourism dollars! So loving stupid, all the people in charge always were.

Man that was before the strategic helium reserve was being sold off (and artificially massively deflating [heh] the price of helium) too, that poo poo must have cost a fortune.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to peak helium and the switch to hydrogen.

Whimsical fire bombs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pryor on Fire posted:

And yet here we are talking about it 30 years later.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm not talking about culture. Just physical conditioning. Recent stuff seems to indicate old hunter gathering man was surprisingly healthy.

That's because they died the moment they started to lose their health, rather than dragging their withered frames into a full century like we do now. They died about the same time we start thinking about retirement. Most people are still pretty healthy at that point even these days.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BarbarianElephant posted:

That's because they died the moment they started to lose their health, rather than dragging their withered frames into a full century like we do now. They died about the same time we start thinking about retirement. Most people are still pretty healthy at that point even these days.
I think most of my generation just assumes we'll work until our bodies collapse and then die from exposure in an overloaded ER or something, so that might not be the best benchmark.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That's not true, stop repeating this fake fact. "Average life expectancy" for pre-modern people is dragged down by high infant mortality. People who made it past toddlerhood lived about as long as we do.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I think most of my generation just assumes we'll work until our bodies collapse and then die from exposure in an overloaded ER or something, so that might not be the best benchmark.

Nuh uh, I assume I'm going to die being vaporized by a thermonuclear blast :colbert:

e: while working until my body collapses obvs

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think I'll die in a Mad Max style wasteland brought on by climate change.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jeeze you guys are so pessimistic, I at least expect to be able to limp my way into my mid 60s so that I can fully appreciate what a terrible mistake I made bringing children into the world as they grow up in the hellscape we have created for them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Nail Rat posted:

I think I'll die in a Mad Max style wasteland brought on by climate change.

Mad Maxine if the leftists get their way.

EDIT FOR CONTENT The Moneyologist on MarketWatch always has some good ones

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/my-father-took-out-a-100000-loan-to-buy-my-sister-a-vacation-home-2016-08-05

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 27, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's not true, stop repeating this fake fact. "Average life expectancy" for pre-modern people is dragged down by high infant mortality. People who made it past toddlerhood lived about as long as we do.

No they didn't. They lived to about 60. We live until our 80s or 90s.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

Jeeze you guys are so pessimistic, I at least expect to be able to limp my way into my mid 60s so that I can fully appreciate what a terrible mistake I made bringing children into the world as they grow up in the hellscape we have created for them.
tbf they won't know any different, unless you say things like "when I was your age I was able to afford rent on a place that DIDN'T flood twice a week, bought coffee every day, avacados grew on trees, and I even once went to the ER and they had to stabilize me and I just dealt with the debt afterwards" and your grandkids will be like :rolleyes: loving millenials, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Isn't that a fake fact as well? Even if you reached your teens, most people in pre-modern societies only had a life expectancy of 50ish years. That's a lot more than most people think but a far cry from a life expectancy in the mid/late 70s that most first world nations have these days.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

No they didn't. They lived to about 60. We live until our 80s or 90s.

Here's a cite:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2625386/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Here's another cite showing increased life expectancy at age 65 just within the last 100 years courtesy of the US Federal Government

Figure 2a and 2b
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/as120/LifeTables_Body.html

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 27, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Get your loving facts and figures out of this emotionally-driven argument! (The emotion is to feel like you're right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
From a gbs thread about weird customers

spite house posted:

Re very very rich people: not my story, but my partner's. He went to an Ivy League university on scholarship and earned walking-around money working as a barista/bartender. His former employer is a coffeeshop on one side and a bar on the other, located on a narrow street, and if you know the school and the town you probably know which one I'm talking about. Partner usually worked the opening shift. The café side serves coffee and pastries and things, and also juice, but back then it was bottled juice only. No fresh-squeezed juice on the menu at all. That didn't stop one regular customer from ordering fresh orange juice every morning, because although the cafe didn't officially serve it, the bar did keep oranges around for drink garnish.

This kid was the son of some oil magnate or other. Every single morning he'd double-park his Lambo, come into the shop and order a fresh-squeezed juice. He'd wait patiently and politely while my partner went to the bar side, dug up a bunch of oranges, squeezed them by hand, and rang the guy up for $25. Meanwhile parking enforcement would inevitably come by and slap a $250 ticket on the Lambo, which was always blocking the entire street, bringing the customer's daily OJ tab to $275.

He never batted an eye. Partner said he was very nice, tipped pretty well, and didn't seem to comprehend that there was anything out of the ordinary about this arrangement.

I literally can't imagine being rich enough where donating $250/day to the city's parking enforcement or spending $25 on orange juice wouldn't bother me.