Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

This feels like Dark Elf wording, rather than Skaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Afriscipio posted:

This feels like Dark Elf wording, rather than Skaven.

I don't believe Dark Elves are associated with mysterious missing populations.

Also this.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this is leading up to something like a Dark Elf vs Skaven Quest Battle, to contrast with Fallen Gates giving us a look at the first two factions.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, that's literally a Skaven construction with warpstone supply.

Also this. 13 is the holy number for Rats of Unusual Size, so if Skaven were 97.633333% confirmed earlier it has now moved up to 200%.

I still hope they manage to work some cross-promotion with Vermintide.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
They put something up on facebook. Nothing special, just a deserted imperial city.

Although they noted in a reply that they specifically posted it up at 13:00. HINT HINT.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

about loving time

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

They put something up on facebook. Nothing special, just a deserted imperial city.

Although they noted in a reply that they specifically posted it up at 13:00. HINT HINT.

tomb kings confirmed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My secret wish is that the deserted city means more interesting unfortified settlement maps.

And fortified settlement maps.

Is anyone else specifically annoyed at the map you get for assaulting Drakenhof? What's clearly a lone castle in a flat plain is portrayed as a sprawling city with mountains right by it.

If you're going to give us inaccessible decorative siege maps at least make the decorative buildings and scenery lore-accurate!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 27, 2017

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Are there any non-horrible people making videos of the game? I was hoping to pick up some pointers, but the first two videos I've seen (of two different people) had a "if you can't take racist speech, GTFO" disclaimer.

Partyelite and Turin are chill and informative. Turin's tip videos are especially nice since they're usually short and sweet without wasting your time. Heir of Carthage's online battles also got me to get really interested and eventually dive into multi.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'll be real excited about Skavenblight being a thing. Also, some events like greenskins incursions (for the Bretonnians) but for everyone would be dope.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I look forward to my every strategy being completely compromised by the Ratican.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If the victory screen for Skaven doesn't have a final 'and then your lord died because another rat backstabbed him' I will be very disappointed.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
oh it's blighttown.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zore posted:

If the victory screen for Skaven doesn't have a final 'and then your lord died because another rat backstabbed him' I will be very disappointed.

Every battle ends with your skaven lord getting replaced by a different skaven with better skills but the same equipment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jokes posted:

Every battle ends with your lord getting replaced. RIP.

Don't draw attention to it, just have any generic lords have a different name after every battle.

it would be amazing :allears:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what is this talk of skaven and rats? clearly volkmar will know what to do with you

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Thinking of picking up either Beastmen or Woodelves on sale to try in steel faith, which one is the more fun and challenging of the campaigns, I heard woodelves were sorta overpowered easymode and would like a challenge.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Woodelves are super powerful but early on they struggle to field even a full stack because their economy is bad early and everyone around has a full army

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
None of your settlements have walls, so you get attacked by opportunistic enemies much more often as well. The garrisons are pretty strong but it can get really hairy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if you play as durthu one of the cheesier things you can do is sail to the north and start colonizing the poo poo out of the norsca. You suffer no attrition damage and most of the other factions will love you and leave you alone

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Thinking of picking up either Beastmen or Woodelves on sale to try in steel faith, which one is the more fun and challenging of the campaigns, I heard woodelves were sorta overpowered easymode and would like a challenge.

I've only done one campaign with with WE on Steel Faith, my advice would be to nip Skarsnik in the bud. Hes a teleporting, Waagh generating sonofabitch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if you play as durthu one of the cheesier things you can do is sail to the north and start colonizing the poo poo out of the norsca. You suffer no attrition damage and most of the other factions will love you and leave you alone

This is how I like to play the elves. It's also a unique strategy that no other faction can pull off.

It's also the only way I see Kislev survive under normal circumstances.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cythereal posted:

This is how I like to play the elves. It's also a unique strategy that no other faction can pull off.

It's also the only way I see Kislev survive under normal circumstances.

Confirmed, it's the coolest and best way to play Wood Elfs. Gobbling up Norsca relieves a lot of pressure on everyone (particularly the Empire factions), wood elfs are uniquely designed to massacre the Norscans (norscans bring missile cavalry and unarmored infantry, monsters, and chariots; Glade Guard and spearmen are the best counters to these), are the only faction that can colonize Norsca, and (most importantly) get you a poo poo ton of looting income.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to set the game so that if you have a battle with over 40 units that the AI will control everything else?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hunt11 posted:

Is there a way to set the game so that if you have a battle with over 40 units that the AI will control everything else?

Not in vanilla, but there's actually a mod for that!. It doesn't help with how cluttered the UI gets, but you can assign elements of your army to AI control with this.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jokes posted:

Confirmed, it's the coolest and best way to play Wood Elfs. Gobbling up Norsca relieves a lot of pressure on everyone (particularly the Empire factions), wood elfs are uniquely designed to massacre the Norscans (norscans bring missile cavalry and unarmored infantry, monsters, and chariots; Glade Guard and spearmen are the best counters to these), are the only faction that can colonize Norsca, and (most importantly) get you a poo poo ton of looting income.

plus all that sweet taste of vengeance for all your other saves where loving varg was no.1 in rank

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I apologise for bringing up reddit but this thread is such lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6jwnsj/i_guess_cheesing_is_the_new_black/

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

I apologise for bringing up reddit but this thread is such lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6jwnsj/i_guess_cheesing_is_the_new_black/

The guy who took banshees against gyros doesn't need to worry, and in fact doesn't get to complain about cheese since he has loving banshees against dwarfs and can just kill the lord.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I just love how he's moaning about cheese builds when he brought an army of (apart from the couple of banshees) entirely grave guards.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

wiegieman posted:

The guy who took banshees against gyros doesn't need to worry, and in fact doesn't get to complain about cheese since he has loving banshees against dwarfs and can just kill the lord.

Yea that dwarf player could have destroyed him without a gimmick build, and probably easier too. Like 3 great weapon ranger units could have melted his whole line and he didn't bring any cav so he would have been hosed

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I like how a large chunk of the complaining was about the poo poo the other player was pulling overall, and you immediately focus only on army comp. I'm sure the supposed continuous jumping between races and just being a general dick the other player was acting as played no part in putting up that post.

Sure, we have to take them at their word, but considering we've got a screenshot of the type of player the other player was (spamming chat with dull and no-effort insults constantly), I'm generally inclined to believe them.

So sure, bitch about the person who apparently also brought a cheese list (or not? thread can't seem to agree) against a shitter doing army jumping. Also the whole little detail that the game initially would have been Undead vs. Chaos, not Dwarves.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

From what I see of that screenshot the undead player could probably have won the match. The Gyros were out of ammo and there's no way the Dwarf army, with that many Gyros, could beat back the Grave Guard, and the Banshees are way faster than any ground units the Dwarfs can field, so it would only be a matter of time, frustrating as it would be.

People who keep switching their factions in pre-battle are trash and I just quit the room when I notice they're doing that. I'd say the posting player's army isn't cheese because he'd have way more Graveguard if that and those banshees were the only thing he bought. You can see he lost his lord and probably some other assets before reaching that impasse. I also wouldn't call a line of Graveguard with Great Weapons cheese given they are, well, line infantry and one of the viable AP units undead can field. It's not even the most effective of those, truly cheesy vampire armies against Dwarfs are a bunch of zombies, Tomb Horrors, bats and a Necromancer hero to summon skeletons alongside the lord inside the Dawi firing line.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Grave guards with great weapons are more expensive than gyrocopters so he probably indeed didn't have much else than probably a Lord on a flying mount.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Even if you think the vampire army is cheesy, at least it's an army. What the Dwarf player is doing is always miserable to fight against and is just a waste of time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I am waiting for this thread to decide on their feelings before I counterpick them, so I'll report back later.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
See also the "hawk riders + waystalker" army as an example

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Changing from chaos when they pick vampires is perfectly understandable.
Cant wait for the chaos buffs in tw3

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Changing from chaos when they pick vampires is perfectly understandable.
Cant wait for the chaos buffs in tw3

Patch Notes:
    Chaos Worldbreaker: Now correctly takes only one swing to kill ten soldiers instead of two

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

One of my dwarf lords has an option for mounts on the details screens, but I can't seem to find any skill associated with it. Do dwarf lords get any mounts?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

ughhhh posted:

One of my dwarf lords has an option for mounts on the details screens, but I can't seem to find any skill associated with it. Do dwarf lords get any mounts?

Runelords get the anvil of doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's legitimate for someone to complain that a game is badly designed and forces cheesy strategies while using a cheesy strategy that they have to in order be competitive. There's no hypocrisy there (although maybe a little more self-awareness would be good).

• Locked thread