Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm the maintainer of google's internal fork of libjson :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
google - dad I hate myself and maintain a fork of libjson

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm the maintainer of google's internal fork of libjson :shobon:

imo rule 1 of open source at work, never become the maintainer or responsible for it in any way

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

imo rule 1 of open source at work, never become the maintainer or responsible for it in any way
yeah because then you'll get assholes like me who want to know why you're keeping a private fork and demand you submit a pull request to benefit the community as a whole

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Bhodi posted:

yeah because then you'll get assholes like me who want to know why you're keeping a private fork and demand you submit a pull request to benefit the community as a whole

i was thinking more assholes like me who want the latest version and could you please merge in the changes upstream into your fork thanks in advance, no I won't do it myself shouldn't have imported it sucker

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

the only difference left are ones they've rejected the pull requests for, which is very rare :hf:. sweeper is right, but i kinda like it and it's fine for what it is.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just got a new android. excited to download some malware from the Play Store

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.blog.google/products/gmail/g-suite-gains-traction-in-the-enterprise-g-suites-gmail-and-consumer-gmail-to-more-closely-align/ i wonder if this means they're getting rid of gmail

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i doubt it

more likely they realized that display advertising sucks and all of the gmail targeting isn't nearly as valuable as attracting just a handful of enterprise customers to g-suite

microsoft realized this on day one which is why outlook.com and office 365 have never mined your email content for advertising

it took google ten years and they had to hire the former president of vmware before they noticed business customers exist lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009
like many of apple's smartest decisions, i believe it's the reaction to a potential lawsuit, this time from the eu iirc

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

thank god for the eu

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people itt not getting the actual purpose of gmail

spam is advertising. google does advertising. spam competes with google. gmail is the world's best spam filter. it makes spam less valuable.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hahaha

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

also: nice

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I use DuckDuckGo :cool:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

thunderstorms please me

checks out

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

maskenfreiheit posted:

I use DuckDuckGo :cool:

do u ever find anything

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

thank god for the eu

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40406542

Google is being fines 2,7 billion dollars by them for some shopping stuff in search results apparently.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Granbar posted:

do u ever find anything

yeah you just actually need to craft a query and not expect Larry page to read your mind

and the bang commands are pretty useful :

https://duckduckgo.com/bang?q=

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Syncopated posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40406542

Google is being fines 2,7 billion dollars by them for some shopping stuff in search results apparently.

European office of extracting revenue from successful American companies strikes again. and this time our president is too stupid to defend against their competition tax.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

and the bang commands are pretty useful

:agreed: they own and are like the only good thing about ddg

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the EU penalizing US companies for being better than EU companies is so transparent. they know we cant retaliate in kind cause there are no good European companies.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Blue Train posted:

:agreed: they own and are like the only good thing about ddg

I genuinely like it. I think the problem is Google trains people to just use like four keywords and the results will be like if you made a Venn Diagram of those, grabbed the center bit and promoted the "best" ones.

whereas with DDG you need to have an idea of what you're looking for, use operators like quotes and negative signs (basically and and not)

tldr: search like it's 1999

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if google could stop returning conjugated forms of words i actually typed, that would be dandy

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

European office of extracting revenue from successful American companies strikes again. and this time our president is too stupid to defend against their competition tax.

actually fines against google own I hope they keep it up and come up with a new fine every day. ill learn german and start doing german stuff. android is so bad it must surely be against some sort of software quality law right??

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

actually fines against google own I hope they keep it up and come up with a new fine every day. ill learn german and start doing german stuff. android is so bad it must surely be against some sort of software quality law right??

android is bad and probably some sort of war crime, but this is about google search which is actually good.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the eu press release is extremely good at explaining why they reached the decision:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1784_en.htm

google's normal search algorithm basically buries other price comparison websites in favor of direct links to manufacturers websites or actual merchant sites but exempts their own price comparison stuff from that by pinning it to the top of the page. they did this after having internal discussions about how it was underperforming.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

filthy euros telling me how to google

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

europe is just doing their part to help increase american corporate taxation to a reasonable level

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

europe is just doing their part to help increase american corporate taxation to a reasonable level

is ireland still part of europe?

:thunk:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

the eu press release is extremely good at explaining why they reached the decision:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1784_en.htm

google's normal search algorithm basically buries other price comparison websites in favor of direct links to manufacturers websites or actual merchant sites but exempts their own price comparison stuff from that by pinning it to the top of the page. they did this after having internal discussions about how it was underperforming.

cool & good

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

they also fired warning shots for Android and AdSense

I don't totally get the AdSense one though. Like are they saying that if you have a Google search box on your website and it shows Google search ads, that's a problem?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

google shopping has been underperforming for like a decade

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i was chatting with some people from a couple of EU data protection offices* once, and they apparently take the view that if you are interacting with dutch or french citizens' data, that their data protection comissioners have juridiction (regardless of if there's a physical server farm present)

so when they're done with google they'll probably gently caress the zuck

*pretty much all of them have an office of the privacy commissioner or data protection commissioner or something along those lines

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

canadians think the same thing and we just finished telling zuck that he has to follow our rules

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/supreme-court-gives-thumbs-up-to-privacy-lawsuit-against-facebook/article35444477/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the EU penalizing US companies for being better than EU companies is so transparent. they know we cant retaliate in kind cause there are no good European companies.

trump should impose sanctions on the eu in response lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

akadajet posted:

trump should impose sanctions on the eu in response lol

[sound of thousands of euro entrepreneurs creaming themselves]

• Locked thread