Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

So are we still sticking flamers on every guardsman (or equivalent) special weapon slot?

I think flamers and plasma are the really common choices (i.e. You take the most across the whole army). Both have their advantages, in some ways I tend to favouring plasma for infantry squads (it can chip away at bigger or harder units using split fire) and hold the flamers in special weapon or command squads where they are concentrated. That way you put the effort into manoeuvring toward the enemy to deliver the big punch of 3d6 or 4d6 hits wi the same again to deter assault. I need to get some games against other snooty armies though.

Meltas seem like more of a niche against big monsters or vehicles due to the damage stat. Due to higher cost I wouldn't put them in infantry squads, but they're not a bad choice if you're likely to face big stuff - definitely worth having on some of your vets or scions imo.

panascope posted:

If battle cannons had the basilisk ability where you roll two dice and take the highest I think it'd at least feel a lot better using them.

I agree this would be a lot better as a minimum standard for previous editions' large blast weapons. They're not priced appropriately for things which sometimes only have 1-2 shots, and who are often surprisingly ineffective after hit and wound rolls. I don't think auto-hits are the answer unless the overmatch effect was somehow mitigated. There doesn't seem to be much consistency in 'blast' weapons' pricing or number of shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I like the way they did random shots on the Thunderfire Cannon. 4D3 shots is just so much more consistent than shots generated on D6 rolls. They could've done something like that for Battle Cannons instead...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Snidesworth posted:

Agreed. It feels strange that something that used to put down a pie plate now has the same number of shots as a frag missile.

Yeah, I think the two layers of random just feels kinda rough for something that doesn't really knock it out of the park even when it hits. It used to be a pretty good bet you'd get at least a hit or two, but now it's super easy to get jack poo poo. And a 6 on your 'scatter' only means you get an average of 3 hits from what's effectively half a krak missile.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I like the way they did random shots on the Thunderfire Cannon. 4D3 shots is just so much more consistent than shots generated on D6 rolls. They could've done something like that for Battle Cannons instead...

Yeah, and maybe a distinction between AP and HE rounds.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Well, it was 4 small blasts.

It should be 4d6

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like it'll normalize more if your field three Russes with battlecannons.

I hope.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

moths posted:

I feel like it'll normalize more if your field three Russes with battlecannons.

I hope.

No that's when you really start to notice how poo poo they are when one bad turn destroys your poo poo wholesale, all due to a super unreliable stat line.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Definitely feels like stuff was balanced around its maximum potential damage instead of the average. This is why battle cannon russes got more expensive, and why missile launchers are 25 points.

If all d6 shots hit, then hey, you'll kill 4 marines. But normally you're lucky to kill 1.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Blasts / Templates to 'randomised number of shots' is really inconsistent in the 7th to 8th conversion.

e.g.
Flamer: in 7th was flame template, in 8th is D6 Auto Hits
Burna: in 7th was flame template, in 8th is D3 Auto Hits

Frag Missile: in 7th was Small Blast, in 8th is D6 Shots
Frag Grenade: in 7th was Small Blast, in 8th is D6 Shots
Battle Cannon: in 7th was Large Blast, in 8th is D6 Shots
Thermal Cannon: in 7th was Large Blast, in 8th is D3 Shots (increasing to D6 versus units of 5+ models)
Thunderfire Cannon: in 7th was 4x Small Blast, in 8th is 4D3 Shots

etc.

IMO they should have made these weapons 1 roll to hit doing XDY + Z hits, like Blast weapons in KOW. Would have reduced die rolling and makes for a thematic split between blast weapons and ones which just have a high rate of fire.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Trying to compare weapons 1:1 between 7th and 8th isn't a good idea because they changed the intended role of several weapons.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I played AoS skirmish with my kids this weekend, and we are going to try 300-500pts of 8th soon. My daughter has a Start Collecting box for Space Wolves (awuuu) and my son likes evil space skeleton robbits. So what's a good starting point for Necrons? The Start Collecting box I assume is also decent?

I'll likely flesh them out into a full list at some point to use myself as well, so even though I want a small army right now I'd like decent choices to grow on, and I really know nothing about Crons.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TKIY posted:

So I played AoS skirmish with my kids this weekend, and we are going to try 300-500pts of 8th soon. My daughter has a Start Collecting box for Space Wolves (awuuu) and my son likes evil space skeleton robbits. So what's a good starting point for Necrons? The Start Collecting box I assume is also decent?

I'll likely flesh them out into a full list at some point to use myself as well, so even though I want a small army right now I'd like decent choices to grow on, and I really know nothing about Crons.

One start collecting box is probably fine but I don't think you'll need more than one overlord in these rules ever. So far all the units I've tried have been useful in some way, buy whatever your son thinks looks cool. Try to get max squad size for infantry for reanimation protocols.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Just saw this new BA chaplin, the skull game is weak. 1/10.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I've seen some battle reports where lychguard does amazingly well. On the other hand, I've seen their T6 vehicles get wrecked by massed plasma and bolter fire pretty easily, T6 and 4+ armor on vehicles is awful. I'd probably stick to infantry and a monolith.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 27, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

Just saw this new BA chaplin, the skull game is weak. 1/10.

Here's the question: is he a Primaris or a tinybro?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

chutche2 posted:

Trying to compare weapons 1:1 between 7th and 8th isn't a good idea because they changed the intended role of several weapons.

Was the intended role to suck?!

Jokes aside blasts probably should be d6+bs hits.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

To be perfectly honest, I find a chapter full of pitch-black drow dudes from a lava planet less potentially offensive than a chapter full of African-American dudes with no reason for it. I do wish there was more diversity in 40k but "All the black guys are in one chapter and from one planet"

Wesley Snipes marine says "Hi"! (Circa 2004 but photographed much later).

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I poorly converted the Lord of Contagion from the Dark Imperium set into a Typhus, as I hate the current 40k Typhus model. The helm is from the 30k Calas Typhon courtesy of BULBASAUR, the scythe is from a Deathshroud termie. I'm pretty happy with it, but I figure someone can do it better.

Also the scale creep is real. This motherfucker is as tall as my old Nurgle boxdread.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
You know what's nice though, battlecannons may suck right now, but Chaper Approved comes out at the end of the year and GW has the ability to adjust how the battlecannons work in that. Hell, they can even put out test adjustments.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Celestial Lions have a cool African savannah kind of vibe that never goes explicitly "Space African" stereotypes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for all the image dumps, but i'm stoked that i'm cranking out my HG at a steady pace.

Finished up my first Primaris Ancient last night.

HOWLING GRIFFO

and with him being done, my 'command squad' is finished.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Blood of Kittens has results for one of the first 8th edition GP events:
http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/06/26/results-8th-edition-gt/

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Man that looks great. I love that you went majority black on the banner.

I take it that you are running your captain without the backpack? I was tempted to do the same with mine since I had fully painted him before realizing that he comes with one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Here's the question: is he a Primaris or a tinybro?

Tiny bro, he's been around for a while. He's also a Death Company chaplain so that's why his skull game is weak. Once you give in to berserker rage and festoon yourself with skulls it's a slippery step and Astaroth starts giving you the side eye.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

In the new edition is the old requirement that every army must have at least one HQ and two troops gone? Forgive me if this has been asked and answered previously.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jadebullet posted:

You know what's nice though, battlecannons may suck right now, but Chaper Approved comes out at the end of the year and GW has the ability to adjust how the battlecannons work in that. Hell, they can even put out test adjustments.

I figured it'd be either there in the updated IG codex that they might adjust some of the weapons a bit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Man that looks great. I love that you went majority black on the banner.

I take it that you are running your captain without the backpack? I was tempted to do the same with mine since I had fully painted him before realizing that he comes with one.

Thanks! Yeah, I had originally quartered it, but i didn't want the model and the banner to blend together so i went with black instead. i have another one to paint, i don't know if i'll go all black on that one too.

I'm not sure yet. I have the backpack primed, i just need to paint it. I'll probably add it later.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Blood of Kittens has results for one of the first 8th edition GP events:
http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/06/26/results-8th-edition-gt/

I had a feeling that vehicle spam, especially Razorback Spam, was going to be really powerful.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Gilgameshback posted:

In the new edition is the old requirement that every army must have at least one HQ and two troops gone? Forgive me if this has been asked and answered previously.

To make a Battle Forged army you can use any of the detachments present in the rulebook. What these contain differs so for the most part you can build your army however you like. You can also use multiple detachments as one army.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Artum posted:

I could have done with this before I spent 3 solid hours batch painting just macragge blue, but huzzah none the less.

In the future, let me know when you're painting and I'll make sure to fit the podcast to your busy schedule! :v

DC HAM SLAM CHAT

ANAmal.net posted:

Pretty sure I'm into this. I'd offer to host, since I can run 2 4x8 tables in my house, but I live just north of Baltimore and also I'm not sure I want to get murdered in my home by goons. I can be convinced on that second point, but the house isn't going anywhere, so.

I'm out of town the last week in July, but I could do the 15th probably.

Slamming hams is always better at home, and I'd be willing to travel North of Bodymore. If you wanted to host, I'd definitely bring beer and food as a tribute. I might also be able to secure a 3rd table for the use of such an event. You'd also get a totally rad shoutout on the 40k Badcast! I'm no murderer, and many goons can back me up on that, and I know several dudes from this thread in this area aren't murderers, either. Or at least, they didn't show me their corpse collections.

Felime posted:

Ouch, Huzzah's pretty out of the way for me (To the tune of an hour and a half, though my usual store (Games and Stuff in glen burnie) is 50-60 minutes away since I live in Southern Maryland. I could make it over, but not really a regular thing. Dream Wizards seems a bit more managable a drive. Of course, there are probably more NOVA goonhams than Southern Maryland ones.

Since I can't really provide a place to play, I will extend an open offer to bring over some booze or buy some pizza for anything I can make it to at someone's house. Goons east of the beltway and annapolis area or further south especially welcome.

Huzzah's actually a good hour to hour and a quarter away from me, too, and it's just a suggestion as I've been there before and the people are nice, the space is clean, and there is food nearby. I've heard Games n Stuff is cool and I'd be willing to head up that way, too.

I've had about 5 people PM me with interest for this event, so it could definitely be a thing. If we could play at Anamal's place that'd be perfect, and if not, Huzzah or Games n Stuff are probably our best bets. It seems that people are free on the 15th, so I'm gonna lock that in as our Ham Slam date. LMK if you guys have any preference of venue, but if Anamal is amenable, then that's where my vote would go.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Rule of thumb for a typical battleforged army is 1 hq and 2 of any 2 roles that are the same (so 2 fast attacks, 2 heavy support, etc.) Because thats how most of the detachments are structured.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Sex Cannon posted:

In the future, let me know when you're painting and I'll make sure to fit the podcast to your busy schedule! :v

DC HAM SLAM CHAT

Slamming hams is always better at home, and I'd be willing to travel North of Bodymore. If you wanted to host, I'd definitely bring beer and food as a tribute. I might also be able to secure a 3rd table for the use of such an event. You'd also get a totally rad shoutout on the 40k Badcast! I'm no murderer, and many goons can back me up on that, and I know several dudes from this thread in this area aren't murderers, either. Or at least, they didn't show me their corpse collections.

Huzzah's actually a good hour to hour and a quarter away from me, too, and it's just a suggestion as I've been there before and the people are nice, the space is clean, and there is food nearby. I've heard Games n Stuff is cool and I'd be willing to head up that way, too.

I've had about 5 people PM me with interest for this event, so it could definitely be a thing. If we could play at Anamal's place that'd be perfect, and if not, Huzzah or Games n Stuff are probably our best bets. It seems that people are free on the 15th, so I'm gonna lock that in as our Ham Slam date. LMK if you guys have any preference of venue, but if Anamal is amenable, then that's where my vote would go.

Hell, if it's at ANAmal's place, I'd make the trek down for that

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is it just my bias for them or do centurions actually look better alongside Primaris models than they did alongside regular marines? With the modularity of MK X they could simply be a heavy weapons variant.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

DC HAM SLAM CHAT

I can vouch that Games and Stuff is an AMAZING store. Plenty of (great) terrain, great (and plenty of) staff, and they've got... 4 6x4 tables, 5 4x4s, and a bunch of boards that can be put out on the normal tables to provide additional minis space if there's room there. Saturdays can be busy, but I've never had much trouble finding room to play. No events on the 15th either from what I can see.

That said, I'm good with whatever venue for a one off event. And north baltimore isn't too bad. Recurring makes it harder to manage a distance away though.

Felime fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 27, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it just my bias for them or do centurions actually look better alongside Primaris models than they did alongside regular marines? With the modularity of MK X they could simply be a heavy weapons variant.

They do look good. The added chunkiness of Primaris makes cents look like they fit in much better. I wonder how Cents with MK.X helmets would look.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

The Sex Cannon posted:

DC HAM SLAM CHAT

Games and/or Stuff is a solid store, but I'm good with hosting since I won't have to go anywhere and also we can get trashed. July 15th, then? Once we have an invite list together I can PM people the address, but like I said, north of Baltimore, just off of of 795. A table would be a good thing to bring along, if you have one - I have a 4x6 and a 4x8, and I can borrow enough terrain from ShadowDaesh to populate a third, but I don't have enough actual literal tables. Worst-case I'll just buy a folding table, I guess.

Caveat: I have a cupola cats, so if anyone is allergic or just hates cats, that might be a problem.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hell, if it's at ANAmal's place, I'd make the trek down for that

Never mind, no longer interested. :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The problem is that there's no difference between weapons that used a large or small blast template. I would change it to 3d3 to represent the increased blast area compared to the smaller weapons.

Alternatively they could have created a "Blast" weapon type where you get up to a set number of shots depending on the number of models in the target unit. So a "Blast 6" weapon would roll up six dice if the unit has six models.

Or you could have it be one shot per X models. So a "Blast 3" would get one shot for every three models in the target unit.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Never mind, no longer interested. :v:

Good news! I'm going to be at your house anyways

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

The Celestial Lions have a cool African savannah kind of vibe that never goes explicitly "Space African" stereotypes.

Could you, or someone, elaborate on this? I'm seriously contemplating doing my biglies as Celestial Lions and don't want to mess up anything about them. Is the vibe from the Blood and Fire novel?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good news! I'm going to be at your house anyways

This is going to end with you hiding beer cans in my toilet tank again, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

This is going to end with you hiding beer cans in my toilet tank again, isn't it.

I don't want to make promises or anything

but there's like a 105% chance that I'll draw penises on most of the things you own