Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So on a scale of "fun with a couple of bugs here and then" to "well my phone is a brick half the time" where is iOS11 right now? I've tried previous public betas and they've never been outright terrible so I'm thinking of jumping on this one.

EDIT: I'll give it a shot in my iPad Pro since that's what I'm really looking forward to. I'll spare my phone for now.

I installed it on my iPad Mini 4 and my iPhone 6S. Neither are really critical to anything I do as long as I can receive calls/texts. the iPhone is fine, I haven't noticed many issues. The Calendar icon for some reason is white, only displays the day/month when I launch it, then disappears after a few seconds. The Mini 4 is a different story. The 'swipe from right' multi-tasking doesn't work at all - like, it's enabled in the settings, it just doesn't work, like the swipe from right event just doesn't get triggered. Worked fine in iOS 10.. The dock is decent, but somehow my iPad is running very hot and even swiping between pages on the home screen is laggy/stuttery. All my apps work fine, typical iOS things work fine, it's just slow for some reason and lacking polish, and obviously the multitasking bug.

If you rely on your iOS device for Important Things, don't install the beta. If you don't have a panic attack when your iOS device isn't working perfectly, go for it. It's clearly unfinished, that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I’m still baffled by the lockscreen/notification shade being merged.

It’s kind of annoying that you can’t swipe notifications away like the old style. There’s still room for it to change by release I suppose.
Spoilers: it's because the next iPhone won't have a lock button.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So on a scale of "fun with a couple of bugs here and then" to "well my phone is a brick half the time" where is iOS11 right now? I've tried previous public betas and they've never been outright terrible so I'm thinking of jumping on this one.

EDIT: I'll give it a shot in my iPad Pro since that's what I'm really looking forward to. I'll spare my phone for now.
Marco Arment says it's solid, but your battery will take a hit. I put it on my iPad Pro, but not gonna bother with my iPhone for a few more, I think.

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/879433853370327041

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Pivo posted:

I installed it on my iPad Mini 4 and my iPhone 6S. Neither are really critical to anything I do as long as I can receive calls/texts. the iPhone is fine, I haven't noticed many issues. The Calendar icon for some reason is white, only displays the day/month when I launch it, then disappears after a few seconds. The Mini 4 is a different story. The 'swipe from right' multi-tasking doesn't work at all - like, it's enabled in the settings, it just doesn't work, like the swipe from right event just doesn't get triggered. Worked fine in iOS 10.. The dock is decent, but somehow my iPad is running very hot and even swiping between pages on the home screen is laggy/stuttery. All my apps work fine, typical iOS things work fine, it's just slow for some reason and lacking polish, and obviously the multitasking bug.

If you rely on your iOS device for Important Things, don't install the beta. If you don't have a panic attack when your iOS device isn't working perfectly, go for it. It's clearly unfinished, that's about it.

Swiping in from the right got replaced with drag and drop. Once an app is in side-by-side mode you can swipe it in/out but you can’t change/initiate side-by-side that way anymore.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

Swiping in from the right got replaced with drag and drop. Once an app is in side-by-side mode you can swipe it in/out but you can’t change/initiate side-by-side that way anymore.

A common use-case for me was swiping from the right to bring up a calculator, how am I supposed to do that now? I can't seem to enter side by side mode at all, even from the app switcher / overview view.

edit: I should note that under Settings > Multitasking, swipe from right is still a setting you can enable

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pivo posted:

A common use-case for me was swiping from the right to bring up a calculator, how am I supposed to do that now? I can't seem to enter side by side mode at all, even from the app switcher / overview view.

edit: I should note that under Settings > Multitasking, swipe from right is still a setting you can enable

I believe you pull up on the floating app's top bar to make it go side-by-side. I'm going off of what I've seen in demo videos.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Pivo posted:

Have you tried dragging from the dock? Maybe there’s some bugginess still but at least as it’s implemented on the pro it seems clear that swiping in from the right is only meant to work with the app you’re currently multitasking with. Pulling down on it it switches it from a floating window to the traditional side-by-side instead of scrolling through apps like it did before.

e: apparently there’s a bug that breaks drag and drop if you have “reduced motion” enabled, so that may be an issue

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 27, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

e: apparently there’s a bug that breaks drag and drop if you have “reduced motion” enabled, so that may be an issue

Fascinating... Yeah, I do have that enabled on the iPad. I'll fiddle with it when I get home. All I want is to be able to bring up Calculator or 1Password side by side like I used to, but I'm pretty sure I'm just encountering a bug. C'est la vie, c'est la beta.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are they definitely removing swipe from the right edge to multitask? That was WAY better than the current implementation.
Way too many different swipe gestures going on at the moment

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's the build number on the iOS 11 public beta?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the build number on the iOS 11 public beta?

On my iPhone 6S 64gb, Canada on Koodo: 11.0 (15A5304i)

Dunno if they distribute different builds to different people but that's the one I got

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I vaguely remember seeing the new screenshot functionality on an iPad demonstration. Is it in the same on iPhones? I take, edit and send screenshots on my phone a lot so having immediate access to one after taking it would be amazing.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I vaguely remember seeing the new screenshot functionality on an iPad demonstration. Is it in the same on iPhones? I take, edit and send screenshots on my phone a lot so having immediate access to one after taking it would be amazing.

Yes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yes. You can take a screenshot, multiple screenshots, and they get placed in a stack in the lower left hand corner. You can tap the stack and you have edit controls (pen tool etc) on each screenshot. Then you tap Done and you have the option of saving them or discarding them.

Again if you haven't figured it out yet, this is iPhone 6S 64gb with 11.0 public beta.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If I'm not mistaken you can not downgrade to iOS 10 if you are on the newest beta. Be careful

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If I'm not mistaken you can not downgrade to iOS 10 if you are on the newest beta. Be careful

Are they not still signing 10.3.2?!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I believe Apple has fixed this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pivo posted:

Yes. You can take a screenshot, multiple screenshots, and they get placed in a stack in the lower left hand corner. You can tap the stack and you have edit controls (pen tool etc) on each screenshot. Then you tap Done and you have the option of saving them or discarding them.

Again if you haven't figured it out yet, this is iPhone 6S 64gb with 11.0 public beta.
Awesome, thanks! I'm holding off until Public Beta 2 or 3, just whenever people say that it's stable enough to use on your main phone, but I'm really excited about the screenshot stuff more than anything else right now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I haven't noticed really any worse of battery life on my work iPhone 6S with the new beta. That said, I am liking the subtle UI changes but the new notification lock screen stuff is silly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I put the beta on last night. My Kevo app, which controls my deadbolt, now flashes the blue bar constantly with a message that Kevo is using my location. I think it was always using my location before, but now it's got that message up there which is annoying so I turned off location services for it (setting it to when in the app only did not make it go away, which seems like a bug).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

iOS 11 seems like it sucks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

iOS 11 seems like it sucks.

On iPhone it's not very compelling but the iPad stuff is pretty exciting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hate the new control center, I hate that you can't force close every app, I hate that I have to long press to get to apps from their lock screen notifications.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hate the new control center, I hate that you can't force close every app I hate that I have to long press to get to apps from their lock screen notifications.

:lol:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Alright so I'm back home to my iPad Mini 4. Reduce Motion is off, and... no, swipe from right doesn't work. Trying to swipe down from an app's status bar usually either does nothing or triggers the 'swipe down for lock screen/Today/camera' view. Going to the multitasking switcher, there seems to no way to move an app into a side view.

Again, because Settings.app does have a setting for enabling swipe-from-right to bring an app in from the side, I think this is just a bug.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hate that you can't force close every app

First off, why would you need to? Second, you still can. Double tap home button, swipe app up.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

First off, why would you need to? Second, you still can. Double tap home button, swipe app up.

It's the only perception of control he has in his life.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just don't like having a bunch of poo poo I never use open. And no you can't, it forces you to leave one open.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just because an app appears in the list doesn't mean its open. It's literally just a series of screenshots of every app you've run. Only the most recent handful have any chance of being "open."

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I just don't like having a bunch of poo poo I never use open. And no you can't, it forces you to leave one open.

:lol:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: people still force closing poo poo on iOS in 2017 what a time to be alive.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Stop janitoring your phone. Whatever you thought you were accomplishing, you weren't.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Stop janitoring your phone. Whatever you thought you were accomplishing, you weren't.

What I was accomplishing was not having a loving giant list of poo poo I opened once on that screen, which I use to quickly switch between the two or three things I'm currently using. So basically gently caress off, and stop telling other people how to use their poo poo.

Also holy poo poo, is there seriously not a way to loving manually sort podcast episodes within a station anymore? What the gently caress?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

What I was accomplishing was not having a loving giant list of poo poo I opened once on that screen, which I use to quickly switch between the two or three things I'm currently using. So basically gently caress off, and stop telling other people how to use their poo poo.

Also holy poo poo, is there seriously not a way to loving manually sort podcast episodes within a station anymore? What the gently caress?

:laffo:

But seriously, stop janitoring your phone.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Force closing apps is actually worse than leaving them open.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

To be fair there are some games that need to be forced closed for one reason or another. Besides that though....

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You guys are literally the reason people use Android, you know that, right? Thanks for the reminder for why I don't come to this thread though, you're all so far up your own asses that you can see out your own loving mouths.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

You guys are literally the reason people use Android, you know that, right? Thanks for the reminder for why I don't come to this thread though, you're all so far up your own asses that you can see out your own loving mouths.

hahahahahaha

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Huh sounds like this beta is in beta.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vince MechMahon posted:

Android people will also tell you to not do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Android people will also tell you to not do this.

Why do you even loving care, though? I don't like clutter, and having 80 god drat pages over there just annoys me. Also thanks for all jumping on your little circle jerk about this instead of actually offering any advice on the other issues I brought up.