Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Aside from the existing relationship with the director, this seems like a really atypical choice for Criterion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Absolutely a day one purchase tho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Absolutely a day one purchase tho

For sure, plus the only other way to get a blu copy of it right now is the complete box set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For sure, plus the only other way to get a blu copy of it right now is the complete box set.

Which is OOP.

Even if it's basically a stand-alone version of the box set edition, any Lynch is probably a big seller for Criterion. They'll easily get The Elephant Man from Paramount and The Straight Story from Disney eventually. And Lost Highway reverted to MK2, who owns Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and distributes Eraserhead on Lynch's behalf (he owns the copyright).

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

A while back I never would've dreamed my top 3 Lynch films would be in the collection, so I hope those rumors are true.

And it's about time they put out Dragon Inn, I've been waiting for over a year for that one. King Hu deserves more attention.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aside from the existing relationship with the director, this seems like a really atypical choice for Criterion.

They had a clue a while ago that had a wok on fire with meat

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

September releases:

Rebecca
The Piano Teacher
David Lynch: The Art Life
Certain Women
Festival

(Also, Othello was moved from July to September)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The David Lynch doc is worth watching for fans of his but I don't have any burning desire to see it again.

Egbert Souse posted:

Which is OOP.

It is? I bought it new a couple months ago.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Cacator posted:

The David Lynch doc is worth watching for fans of his but I don't have any burning desire to see it again.

It is? I bought it new a couple months ago.

The "Entire Mystery" box set is, which contains a tenth bonus disc of extras. The slightly slimmer set without those additional extras is still in print.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: ^^^

I like how Criterion has been on a roll lately getting back long-OOP titles.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 16, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Piano Teacher is a wonderful surprise.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

The "Entire Mystery" box set is, which contains a tenth bonus disc of extras. The slightly slimmer set without those additional extras is still in print.

Really? I Purchased it a few days ago. UK here though, if that makes a difference.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Guess I'll crosspost this here since I've started watching old Criterion DVD's I procured.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Pépé le Moko is a good movie guys

Next up is a very worn down ex-library copy of Ugetsu. (But I do have DVD of The Third Man that is in perfect condition!)

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 19, 2017

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I saw Stalker last night and it may be the best movie I've ever seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I saw Stalker last night and it may be the best movie I've ever seen.

I'm counting the days until this release. Extremely hyped.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I didn't get to see it in theaters, but the Stalker restoration looks amazing.

Also, the Barnes and Noble sale starts July 11th.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Origami Dali posted:

I didn't get to see it in theaters, but the Stalker restoration looks amazing.

Also, the Barnes and Noble sale starts July 11th.

I believe Stalker is on sale a week after that. It will go quick.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

GrandpaPants posted:

I believe Stalker is on sale a week after that. It will go quick.

I've got a preorder with Amazon, they'll match sale prices won't they? I've just had better shipping to Aus from Amazon, in that it won't take up to 3 months in a lovely cardboard box with no protection.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has a bunch of new-ish (and some old) Criterions for under $20/50% off

They Live By Night
Othello
Dr. Strangelove
Tampopo
Bitter Rice
Ministry of Fear
The Uninvited
Gate of Hell
Yojimbo/Sanjuro ($38 for double feature)
Three Outlaw Samurai
Jellyfish Eyes
The Ballad of Narayama
The Moment of Truth
John Cassevetes: Five Films ($61)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 25, 2017

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How is Tampopo? Worth a blind buy?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

How is Tampopo? Worth a blind buy?

Absolutely. I did and was not disappointed. If it was American, it would have been an 80s classic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has a bunch of new-ish (and some old) Criterions for under $20/50% off

They Live By Night
Othello
Dr. Strangelove
Tampopo
Bitter Rice
Ministry of Fear
The Uninvited
Gate of Hell
Yojimbo/Sanjuro ($38 for double feature)
Three Outlaw Samurai
Jellyfish Eyes
The Ballad of Narayama
The Moment of Truth
John Cassevetes: Five Films ($61)

There's a bunch more that are in the $20-23 range if you don't want to wait for the B&N sale. I picked up Tokyo Story for $22.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Othello is also for sale for 24 bucks

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The best single deal is They Live by Night, less than $17 for the blu. I grabbed it, Strangelove, Tampopo and Tokyo Story for less than $80. I might not even do the B&N sale considering (well, maybe just Stalker).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Othello is also for sale for 24 bucks

I went ahead and got it since I'd have to wait until November for that price.

Too bad they didn't get Filming Othello, though, but maybe they're saving it for a release of miscellaneous Welles stuff like the reconstructions of Too Much Johnson, The Merchant of Venice, and The Deep.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't get paid until the day of the B&N sale, and it's gonna be a big paycheck due to the day I got hired.

I'm gonna get myself in trouble.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The funny thing is that I used to work near a B&N, but didn't make enough except to maybe afford one or two a year. On top of that, my wife hated pretty much anything I liked, so if I picked up anything, it would be Walmart bargain bin stuff. Now I'm freshly divorced with no alimony and have a healthy budget for these sales. :toot:

Though, I regret not roping her into watching Multiple Maniacs before separating.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Here's my haul from the Amazon sale:

-The Lodger
-Othello
-Tokyo Story
-Dreams
-Ugetsu
-Yi-Yi
-A Brighter Summer Day
-They Live By Night
-Ministry of Fear
-Night Train to Munich
-Only Angels Have Wings

:shepspends:

gently caress my wallet!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm trying incredibly hard to cut back on my movie spending these days. I really need to stop clicking this thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hate to ask a question that's been covered so many times before, but maybe someone can point me to a particular recent page where region free blu ray players were discussed?

I'm in the market for one, but I'd like to strike some kind of a balance between quality and cost, so I don't want to completely cheap out and have the player poo poo the bed after a month. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm hoping to only spend around $50-$100 if possible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I hate to ask a question that's been covered so many times before, but maybe someone can point me to a particular recent page where region free blu ray players were discussed?

I'm in the market for one, but I'd like to strike some kind of a balance between quality and cost, so I don't want to completely cheap out and have the player poo poo the bed after a month. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm hoping to only spend around $50-$100 if possible.

This is the one I have. It's a more than 100, but there might be a newer model (or older?) that you can pick up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

This is the one I have. It's a more than 100, but there might be a newer model (or older?) that you can pick up.

This is definitely the one to get.

Going region free should be a top priority for anyone who buys physical media.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

The only downside is you can't take your movies over to a friend's house :negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Alright, I'll probably go that route then, thanks all.

Now to decide what my first round of region B blu rays will be.....

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Arrow, the UK's Criterion of Horror

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

Take a look at Arrow Video. They do great Criterion-esque releases and some of their stuff hasn't hit the US yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea for sure, Arrow is my main inspiration in doing this. But unfortunately I cannot afford their entire catalog, and god knows I want it all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know any good region free players like that one that can be purchased in the UK/would ship from within the UK?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Does anyone know any good region free players like that one that can be purchased in the UK/would ship from within the UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDPS1500B-CEK-MULTIREGION-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00ZPQQ0JO/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1498577696&sr=1-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think the Eureka Masters of Cinema series has a few that are only available in region B that would be relevant to people in this thread. I just watched their blu ray of King Hu's Dragon Inn (1967) this week, and I know they just put out Hou Hsiao-hsien's Daughter of the Nile (1987).

For region free playing I just use my computer. If you've got a pc blu ray drive it's the software that decides whether to respect the region coding or not. I just rip to the pc then use Plex to play on the tv or wherever. Plex is also great for friends so I don't have to worry about loaning out of region or expensive out of print discs.