Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

unban bloom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If I wanted to play 1x Orhzov Pontiff in the side of Death & Taxes, do you think I could get away with just the 4 Vials and 2 Caverns to cast him?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Star Man posted:

They can unban Stoneforge Mystic after I get my playset first.
promos are 13 bucks each on Amazon. Get to buying.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Aston posted:

If I wanted to play 1x Orhzov Pontiff in the side of Death & Taxes, do you think I could get away with just the 4 Vials and 2 Caverns to cast him?

Brian DeMars had a recent article about splashing black in Death & Taxes and he recommends either going up to 4 caverns if you are just adding in pontiff, or adding 3 fetches and 2 scrublands if you plan to bring in more black cards from the sideboard.
https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/cause-im-the-death-and-taxman/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Sexual Shiite posted:

promos are 13 bucks each on Amazon. Get to buying.

I don't like foils.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

I don't like foils.

HERESY!

Unban Jace, Stoneforge, and Bloodbraid.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

reprint cabal therapy

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I'm one of those people that prefers all of his cards to be of the same edition and finish if I can help it. Foils are typically more expensive than regular cards too, so I'd rather use the money I save buying plain cards to buy more plain cards. It takes something like foil special editions of a card that are way cheaper than the regular one for me to consider them. Like, if I needed Loyal Retainers for a deck, I'd rather pay ~$30 for one that came from Commander's Arsenal or the Amonkhet Invocation edition because it's cheaper than the $50 I'd have to pay for one from Portal: Three Kingdoms if I wanted it in English.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Caleb did a banned series on Jace. I will watch it when I get home from work. Granted the meta is way different now.
https://www.channelfireball.com/videos/the-modern-banned-series-finale-bloodbraid-elf-vs-jace/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Maybe these people should put out new videos or articles as the metagame changes so that people aren't quoting things that aren't relevant anymore.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm one of those people that prefers all of his cards to be of the same edition and finish if I can help it. Foils are typically more expensive than regular cards too, so I'd rather use the money I save buying plain cards to buy more plain cards. It takes something like foil special editions of a card that are way cheaper than the regular one for me to consider them. Like, if I needed Loyal Retainers for a deck, I'd rather pay ~$30 for one that came from Commander's Arsenal or the Amonkhet Invocation edition because it's cheaper than the $50 I'd have to pay for one from Portal: Three Kingdoms if I wanted it in English.

the other acceptable time is when the foil reprints are in the correct frame, e.g. Crucible of Worlds and Noble Hierarch

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the other acceptable time is when the foil reprints are in the correct frame, e.g. Crucible of Worlds and Noble Hierarch

I don't have nostalgia for a period of the game I never played in.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Star Man posted:

I use as many different printing as possible of a card to piss people off.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I use as many different printing as possible of a card to piss people off.

I don't get pissed that other people do that :shrug:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

i put some of the cards into their sleeves upside-down and play them as such

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

and then I only tap things at a 45 degree angle

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

and then I only tap things at a 45 degree angle

this is the real abomination here, because it makes the game state unclear

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I use beads to represent tapped permanents.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Red (zone) beads for attackers, blue beads for blockers, white beads for +1/+1 and black for -1/-1, and brown beads for any tapped creatures because they're pooped!

Can I borrow a spindown die?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

I use beads to represent tapped permanents.

Pokémon beads for +1/+1 counters

E: f;b

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm like the only person where I play that keeps track of life totals on paper. Play all the white border, mismatched editions cards you want in your schoolgirl anime sleeves.

Just keep track of your life total with pen and paper, represent tapped cards by turning them a full 90 degrees, and have your planeswalkers that enter the battlefield have their loyalty marked even if they're staying at their starting loyalty.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

I'm like the only person where I play that keeps track of life totals on paper. Play all the white border, mismatched editions cards you want in your schoolgirl anime sleeves.

Just keep track of your life total with pen and paper, represent tapped cards by turning them a full 90 degrees, and have your planeswalkers that enter the battlefield have their loyalty marked even if they're staying at their starting loyalty.

I keep track of life totals on my phone because it's FNM, who cares. If I play a GP or PPTQ the pen and paper come out. 100% agree with the others, although I've never seen any of the...unusual methods of marking loyalty.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I mark damage on creatures & players' life totals with grains of coloured sand

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Summoning sickness is denoted by bits of lint & string I find in my pockets

I tap my permanents 180°

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

I keep track of life totals on my phone because it's FNM, who cares. If I play a GP or PPTQ the pen and paper come out. 100% agree with the others, although I've never seen any of the...unusual methods of marking loyalty.

Using a phone app to keep track of life totals is an acceptable aubstitute for pen and paper at $5 tournaments like FNM and Standard Showdown. Just no dice, sticks, teeth, whatever....

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

myDad posted:

I tap my permanents 180°

this is appropriate for keeping track of abilities like Quirion Ranger and Wirewood Symbiote!
:goonsay:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

this is appropriate for keeping track of abilities like Quirion Ranger and Wirewood Symbiote!
:goonsay:

Woah...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

Using a phone app to keep track of life totals is an acceptable aubstitute for pen and paper at $5 tournaments like FNM and Standard Showdown. Just no dice, sticks, teeth, whatever....

Eh, I've had a couple times when the dishonest grinder-type has clearly tried to cheat his life total and not an innocent missed fetch or painland at the FNM level. Paper record makes it easier to resolve and gently caress rewarding that type of behavior.

And is it really arduous to bring paper and pen? Plus if you're playing with hand revealing effects jotting their hand down on the same page as life total is much easier. At the FNM level I just leave the revealed cards revealed, but the aforementioned type usually doesn't.

myDad posted:

Woah...

And exert!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

I should do pen+paper but I have a Black Lotus spindown that people always compliment me on, and I have no idea where I got it. I do spindowns for my life and my opponent's and they typically do pen+paper. Double bookkeeping and all.

I've been trying to track the number of cards in opponent's decks when I play Mill using p+p but I still need to perfect my technique :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Double-post but lol at this deck-

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-wu-belcher-modern

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

this deck is just modern parfait. I mean, sorta. you have to gently caress around with awful cards like endless horizons instead of land tax, and you don't get a scroll rack, but a base white control deck with weird finishers and not drawing your lands is parfait

e: of COURSE Twoo is playing a base white deck

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

New legacy brew, Battle of Wits Leovold! Surprisingly winning a lot of matches, it's 10-3 so far. It's not very all-in on the Battle of Wits, that's just there (along with Madcap Emperion) as an "I Win" button. It's mostly just BUG midrange valuetown. It's 228 cards, which is small for a Battle of Wits deck, but I wanted to maximize the density of good cards. I am still looking for suggestions for good high-value small creatures, especially green ones that I can find with Green Sun's Zenith. Here's the list:

code:
Land (77)
4x Arid Mesa
4x Badlands
4x Bayou
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x City of Brass
1x Dryad Arbor
4x Flooded Strand
1x Forest
1x Island
4x Mana Confluence
4x Marsh Flats
4x Misty Rainforest
1x Mountain
4x Polluted Delta
4x Scalding Tarn
1x Swamp
4x Taiga
4x Tropical Island
4x Underground Sea
4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Volcanic Island
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
Creature (47)
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Bloodbraid Elf
1x Coiling Oracle
4x Deathrite Shaman
4x Eternal Witness
1x Kitchen Finks
4x Leovold, Emissary of Trest
4x Lotus Cobra
1x Nissa, Vastwood Seer  Flip
4x Noble Hierarch
1x Platinum Emperion
1x Reclamation Sage
1x Scavenging Ooze
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4x Vendilion Clique
1x Witchstalker
Instant (44)
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Brainstorm
4x Chord of Calling
4x Counterspell
4x Fatal Push
4x Force of Will
4x Intuition
4x Kolaghan's Command
4x Opt
4x Recoil
4x Terminate
Sorcery (48)
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Green Sun's Zenith
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Madcap Experiment
4x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Ponder
4x Portent
4x Preordain
4x Serum Visions
4x Sleight of Hand
4x Thoughtseize
4x Toxic Deluge
Planeswalker (8)
4x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4x Liliana of the Veil
Enchantment (4)
4x Battle of Wits

Sideboard (15)
4x Bring to Light
4x Flusterstorm
1x Melira, Sylvok Outcast
3x Reclamation Sage
1x Skylasher
1x Thragtusk
1x Xantid Swarm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I'm pretty close to having a Mardu Pyromancer deck put together in the vein of this group of decks, any thoughts?

Deck: WBR Pyromancer

//Lands
2 Arid Mesa
2 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Marsh Flats
3 Mountain
1 Plains
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Swamp

//Spells
1 Collective Brutality
1 Dreadbore
4 Faithless Looting
1 Fatal Push
2 Forked Bolt
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
4 Lingering Souls
2 Terminate
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Bedlam Reveler
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Celestial Purge
1 Damnation
1 Fatal Push
1 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Painful Truths
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Wear // Tear
1 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

Some versions of the deck are running 1x Stomping Ground and 3x Abrupt Decay in the SB, which is super-spicy but I don't know how good it is.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Blood Moon can absolutely steal games from your worse match ups. Working one into the main and two in the board is worth trying.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't really get that removal base. Bolt is barely a card against two of the top decks in Modern, and you're running a single Push and no Paths in WB for a whole pile of cards that can't kill a 4/4.

I'm also not sold on Pyromancer in a deck without cantrips, or honestly even running Pyromancer in Modern now that Gitaxian Probe is banned.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

I don't really get that removal base. Bolt is barely a card against two of the top decks in Modern, and you're running a single Push and no Paths in WB for a whole pile of cards that can't kill a 4/4.

I'm also not sold on Pyromancer in a deck without cantrips, or honestly even running Pyromancer in Modern now that Gitaxian Probe is banned.

I think the idea is to cast cheap Revelers with an empty hand and draw 3 for RR. I could easily be talked into Paths but it feels weird not running 4x Bolt in a red deck. You're right about Bolt not being good against creatures like Death's Shadow and TKS though.

If we really want to peel back the curtain, I just want to run a deck with 4x Lightning Helix because I really like that card. Plus I already had everything for this deck except the Mesas (and the Moons, which I'll probably work in somewhere) so I figured I might play around with it a bit.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The typical build for Grixis Shadow is 0 bolts. Some lists have 1-2 copies but I'd imagine that's largely a response to all the company lists with 4 x Mirran Crusader in the maindeck, and that's not really a problem you're going to have in a deck with lots of red creatures and access to Path.

Bolt is just not in a great place right now.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Voyager I posted:

The typical build for Grixis Shadow is 0 bolts. Some lists have 1-2 copies but I'd imagine that's largely a response to all the company lists with 4 x Mirran Crusader in the maindeck, and that's not really a problem you're going to have in a deck with lots of red creatures and access to Path.

Bolt is just not in a great place right now.

I play two bolts and like them for the extra reach. They still hit enough to be ok as removal and bolt snap bolt still wins games. I won't pretend to be an expert though.

Edit: To be fair though, they are also my go to cards most of the time as the first thing to board out.

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 2, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mef989 posted:

I play two bolts and like them for the extra reach. They still hit enough to be ok as removal and bolt snap bolt still wins games. I won't pretend to be an expert though.

Edit: To be fair though, they are also my go to cards most of the time as the first thing to board out.

Same in every way. It's my fav card so I'll always play one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah two bolts definitely won't give you cancer or anything, especially if it's in addition to a bunch of Pushes and Paths.

I'd probably run a list something like 4 x Push, 2 x Path, 2 x Bolt, 2 x Helix as a starting point. Probably no Dreadbore since you premium removal with Path and plenty of board pressure for walkers.

EDIT: in retrospect that looks pretty crowded on small poo poo removal, but this is the kind of stuff you have to tune through testing / knowing your meta anyways.