Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

leftist heap posted:

Is it just me or is the new date for the awards show really bad? We are already pretty well into offseason drama and the regular season feels a million miles away at this point.

Everyone except Adam Silver agrees with you. 75 days after the regular season is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pro Wrestling Heel seems to be about Lavar Ball's lane so I wish him luck.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Everyone welcome to the first full day that Russell Westbrook is mvp

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

lmao I totally forgot those were last night gotta look up the results.

e: wtf how did they get every single award wrong

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 27, 2017

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Metapod posted:

Well at least the award show saved him the awkward press conference right after getting eliminated in the first round.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the context of Bill Russell's "I could beat all your asses" comment?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

I've been thinking about it again and nobody has ever been as good around the rim as Michael Jordan was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV0cyj3YHL0

what about Shaq

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jordan wouldn't have lost 1-on-1 to Aaron Carter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guys working out without shirts on twitter time of the year.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Sam Hinkie may be gone, but his spirit lives on in the lighting fixtures at the Sixers’ new Camden, New Jersey, practice facility. Read the exclusive story of the electrician who couldn’t let the Process die — so he wrote it all over the building.

https://theringer.com/sixers-sam-hinkie-process-graffiti-90df7643e8b1

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

I don't really have a strong opinion on Lavar one way or the other but Lonzo consistently looks embarrassed by the whole circus around his dad and I feel kinda bad for him.

I mostly just wish Lavar was actually funny

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lavar Ball seems to be a good father who means well but has incredibly poor execution.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's a dance mom.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lavar Ball seems to be a good father who means well but has incredibly poor execution.

Nahh. He's a shithead that wasn't as good at basketball as he wanted to be so he is living through his sons. He's doing nothing but getting as much attention for himself as possible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/879719622618095616

Praise Be

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good trade everyone

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The basketball gods give, the basketball gods take away

https://twitter.com/QCHspencer/status/879722247451226112

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

RCarr posted:

Nahh. He's a shithead that wasn't as good at basketball as he wanted to be so he is living through his sons. He's doing nothing but getting as much attention for himself as possible.

And the fact that he's successful at it is going to encourage other shithead dads and AAU coaches to step up their attempts to profit and gain fame on the backs of other kids

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sports dads are old news. Come on people .

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
MJ just needs to step up and play Lavar 1-on-1. We all know that's what Lavar is truly after.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

The basketball gods give, the basketball gods take away

https://twitter.com/QCHspencer/status/879722247451226112

*sigh*

COME ON

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously he's not the first parent to be overbearing sports parent.

And until I see a situation where he actively sabatoges his own kids money or success or goes against his kids wishes is when its a problem.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dexo posted:

Seriously he's not the first parent to be overbearing sports parent.

And until I see a situation where he actively sabatoges his own kids money or success or goes against his kids wishes is when its a problem.
He didn't let them sign a huge deal with Nike and instead founded the Big Baller Brand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Sports dads are old news. Come on people .

First one I ever saw cut a promo on WWE.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

His justification was that the Nike deal wasn't necessarily good. I think he cited an example of PG(?) taking years to finally get his own shoe and he's been a top NBA player for some time. Granted BBB branding is still at the heart of the matter and he cost his son some guaranteed money right now, but he's packaging his sons together and it helps out with his less talented middle child

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If big baller works they will make more money then signing with Nike.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

If big baller works they will make more money then signing with Nike.

Of course, but its a risky move. If the ball children bust or end up as anything less than stars then they are losing tons of cash.

e: My big problem is that he is a father making financial decisions that benefit himself for his children who are young, don't have all the information, and are the ones, you know, actually doing all the work.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 27, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Y'all just don't understand cause y'all ain't big ballers

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Wouldn't the BBB shoes sell a lot better at normal prices? Sure he'll sell some pairs at $500, but aren't Jordan's and Lebron's like $250 at most? He could sell his for $200 and still make way more money then signing with Nike, IF Lonzo is a star, if not, shoulda taken the guaranteed money.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets have like $5M to spend before they hit the tax and need a big PG that can play next to Monk, but I assume with the youth tax MCW will get more than that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

He didn't let them sign a huge deal with Nike and instead founded the Big Baller Brand.

"Huge"

Those deals are never as big as they are reported. Tons of incentives to hit that number.

If Lonzo is good, and the shoes don't suck when playing basketball in them then he will move product. If Liangelo(lol) or Lamelo are good then it especially grows. And if they show they do good work they might be able to get other athletes to sign with them.

Its a long play and may end up not working out. But that decision is less sabotage and is more risking it all being an enterprenuer working for yourself for larger upside rather than going to work for a company which is more stable but you are capped on what you can make for the duration of the deal while also signing away your likeness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you were betting money, would you bet for or against Big Baller Brand blowing up

Michael Corleone posted:

Wouldn't the BBB shoes sell a lot better at normal prices? Sure he'll sell some pairs at $500, but aren't Jordan's and Lebron's like $250 at most? He could sell his for $200 and still make way more money then signing with Nike, IF Lonzo is a star, if not, shoulda taken the guaranteed money.

I think the price is supposed to be part of the attraction, these are supposed to be ostentatious luxury items, not shoes you lace up for pickup at the Y.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

After 2016 who knows anymore

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If only more NBA players were smart enough to put a personal trainer in charge of their branding and marketing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pat Croce was a personal trainer.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If only more NBA players were smart enough to put a personal trainer in charge of their branding and marketing

Well we're talking about it so I guess it was pretty smart

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

morestuff posted:

Hornets have like $5M to spend before they hit the tax and need a big PG that can play next to Monk, but I assume with the youth tax MCW will get more than that

MCW can't play at all, next to someone or not. I hate his game! I hate it!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

McW would be a god in turkey .

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Well we're talking about it so I guess it was pretty smart

We also talk about the contracts given to Parsons, Biyombo and Turner

Not to mention Draymond's snapchat mixup and TT marrying a Kardasian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU