Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Sloober posted:

I am dead, for i never breathe

You are now the perfect Republican voter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I could've gotten one for my Prius but I'm not a moron who wants to spend $70 for a joke that was funny for less than 12 hours.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Dumb question I have: I know employers buy group plans for their employees and save costs by getting 30 or 40 people or whatever into one plan. Is there anything stopping groups of, say, 50 or 100 private random citizens banding together to purchase something similar?

Yes, human nature. Group health plans only work when there are a lot of young, healthy people paying in. Employers can obviously make that happen, and the government can impose a mandate, but without that, young people will be dumb, think they are bulletproof, and save their money. Group health plans do not work when only older and sicker people are in the group.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That's five, while four of the "moderates" (Cassidy, Murkowski, Capuito, and Portman) still haven't even spoken up.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nucleic Acids posted:

Did he lay out exactly how it was still supported? Because that would be nice to have at hand.

CNN retracted the story because
1) it only has 1 anonymous source, and CNN standards require more before reporting
2) They didn't send the story to the fact checkers to fix errors before publication

They still stand behind the content, but pulled it because they failed to follow multiple CNN procedures

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

evilweasel posted:

That's five, while four of the "moderates" (Cassidy, Murkowski, Capuito, and Portman) still haven't even spoken up.

I don't get the political calculus for Murkowski. Did she campaign against Obamacare in her write in campaign? Is Capito just coasting on voter apathy and tribalism?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Looks like the CNN retraction story + the O'Keefe video is getting pushed by the usual suspects - see e.g. these Hill stories:
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/339632-new-okeefe-video-shows-cnn-producer-calling-russia-coverage-mostly-bullshit (O'Keefe video on the rando CNN producer)
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/339618-trump-blasts-several-publications-after-cnn-retraction-they-are-all (Loosely collected collection of POTUS tweets claiming vindication)

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I swear to loving christ allowing a conservative a platform is an act of violence against truth.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Buffer posted:

Looks like the CNN retraction story + the O'Keefe video is getting pushed by the usual suspects - see e.g. these Hill stories:
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/339632-new-okeefe-video-shows-cnn-producer-calling-russia-coverage-mostly-bullshit (O'Keefe video on the rando CNN producer)
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/339618-trump-blasts-several-publications-after-cnn-retraction-they-are-all (Loosely collected collection of POTUS tweets claiming vindication)

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I swear to loving christ allowing a conservative a platform is an act of violence against truth.

Have you paid any attention to your girlfriend yet today? Your red text makes it seem like you should.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
So the bill is definitely dead for the week, and McConnell has the month of July to buy his way to 50 votes with his $200 billion savings?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cornyn claims they're still moving forward this week:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/879719698002305025

Possible interpretations: (a) their strategy is to just win or lose this week, either way they need to be done with it; (b) they're going to try to cut the deals by Wednesday they need, and think that a hard deadline will motivate people to get to yes; (c) stupid bluffing; (d) hoping enough people are bluffing but will cave when it comes to a vote; (e) two or more of the above

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Cornyn claims they're still moving forward this week:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/879719698002305025

Possible interpretations: (a) their strategy is to just win or lose this week, either way they need to be done with it; (b) they're going to try to cut the deals by Wednesday they need, and think that a hard deadline will motivate people to get to yes; (c) stupid bluffing; (d) hoping enough people are bluffing but will cave when it comes to a vote; (e) two or more of the above

The House said their first attempt to pass it was the last chance too, so even if they say this week is absolutely the last word on the subject, there's no reason they can't try again later if it fails.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aurubin posted:

I don't get the political calculus for Murkowski. Did she campaign against Obamacare in her write in campaign? Is Capito just coasting on voter apathy and tribalism?

capito is scum who wants to be seen caring about her constituents but will vote for the bill if she can get away with it so yes, voter apathy and tribalism. she just is in a bad place because the bill will be devastating to her constituents but that is a political problem to her, not a moral one.

murkowski, like most Alaskan senators, is all about the bottom line for Alaska: there's a pot of $200 billion that can buy her vote if needed (and there's already alaska-specific provisions in the bill) and that could potentially buy enough bribes for alaska to get her vote

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I can't imagine that they'll even attempt to bring this up again if they have to head home for the 4th of July recess with it unfinished.

Remember how intense the town halls were for the House version?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Crain posted:

I can't imagine that they'll even attempt to bring this up again if they have to head home for the 4th of July recess with it unfinished.

Pretty positive next to no republicans will hold town halls this recess.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sinteres posted:

The House said their first attempt to pass it was the last chance too, so even if they say this week is absolutely the last word on the subject, there's no reason they can't try again later if it fails.

There actually is: they have a whole lot of poo poo they have to do in a very short timeframe including (a) not shutting the government down and (b) not defaulting on the debt and causing a worldwide financial meltdown and (c) managing to get a budget through the House and Senate that allows them to use reconciliation for 2018 and those sweet sweet tax cuts (somehow, even though they can pass something that's just [TBD] to trigger reconciliation this has become a huge mess and the HFC is being especially freedomy).

Once you get to September something about that budget vote and/or the fiscal year ending means that the reconciliation bill is dead and can't be used again. I don't know precisely what triggers it, but both can - simply running out of time, or giving up and starting on the 2018 bill.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 27, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Too dangerous with these violent leftists out there!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Crain posted:

They won't be doing town halls, c'mon man.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Georgia really is the biggest poo poo hole

Iunno, banning overtly political messages on license plates seems fine to me :confused:

Though yeah it's a shithole for plenty of other reasons.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Google Butt posted:

They won't be doing town halls, c'mon man.

It would be wiser for them to do that than to have disabled people occupying their offices and getting dragged off on camera though.

So...strap in, folks.:getin:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AbsolutelySane posted:

'Discusses why it just had to leave after years of neglect.'

Please don't neglect the brain.

The brain gotta poop.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

RiggenBlaque posted:

People who don't hold town meetings should be allowed to have recess.
But that's just me.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Crain posted:

lol you think republican senators will be holding town halls right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RiggenBlaque posted:

That's why if you see one shopping or eating out or whatever you yell at them and make it a town hall right then and there.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A bit off topic, but its obvious that Trump's primary motivator at the moment is to de-assemble Obama's legacy no matter the cost. I also know that Trump is a deeply vengeful man, obsessed with revenge.

Why does Trump hate Obama so much?

I saw the press dinner thing where Seth Meyer just tore into Trump (god its a satisfying watch) and everyone, including Obama, was laughing at Trump. The birtherism stuff was before that, though. So what inspired the birtherism stuff?

Is it just that Trump is such a deep-down racist that he couldn't stand seeing a black man as President? Or did Obama slight Trump directly somehow?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's why if you see one shopping or eating out or whatever you yell at them and make it a town hall right then and there.

That's how you get shot for being a violent leftist.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you elaborate on "red tape"? I don't see how it'd be any more complicated than what most poelpe already deal with health insurance wise. And I'm just wondering if it's allowable and doable in the strictest sense. Like, could a put up a Craigslist ad that says "Uninsured? Pool needed for group health insurance plan. The more people the lower the cost".

One thing is that you're still going to have a group rating, so if you have a few very sick members it will bump up the premiums for everyone - significantly so if you have catastrophic claims. Also don't forget that a lot of the advantages that you think of with employer insurance - like premiums being subsidized and being paid with pre-tax dollars - are specific to employers. You also have to keep in mind that insurance for smaller groups (like, <5k-10k) is going to be more expensive than for larger groups; that's because a lot of larger groups will opt to take on the medical costs (and therefore the risk) themselves and only pay the insurance company administrative fees. It costs a LOT more to get a product that the insurance company is betting its own money on.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, if the US were to move to single payer, have we factored in what happens to the millions of people who work in the health care field when we factor in economic impact. Isn't healthcare like 20% of our economy or something? Do we just move those people into the government system?

A lot of jobs would be lost. Insurance companies have entire sales divisions that would get the axe immediately. The government would still need claims to be administered and at least at first would probably contract that out to insurance companies like they do for Medicaid, but there's a *lot* of redundancy that would appear when there's just one entity paying the bills. That 20% is the entire healthcare industry, not just health insurance, but it would be a pretty big upheaval.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I get that they'll be avoiding town halls. But they're still going to be home and around their constituents. People are already protesting outside their offices at the Capitol and I don't see why they wouldn't be protesting around their homes/offices in their districts.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Snuffman posted:

A bit off topic, but its obvious that Trump's primary motivator at the moment is to de-assemble Obama's legacy no matter the cost. I also know that Trump is a deeply vengeful man, obsessed with revenge.

I saw the press dinner thing where Seth Meyer just tore into Trump (god its a satisfying watch) and everyone, including Obama, was laughing at Trump. The birtherism stuff was before that, though. So what inspired the birtherism stuff?

Is it just that Trump is such a deep-down racist that he couldn't stand seeing a black man as President? Or did Obama slight Trump directly somehow?

More than likely Trump went after Obama because the Trumps and the Clintons were...friends(?) at the time, and Hillary ran against Obama.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Snuffman posted:

obama is black, also obama mocked trump to his face at the white house correspondence dinner

birtherism/etc i suspect was just a hey, i can get attention from this from a guy who loves attention

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's not paranoia for the GOP senators to avoid all public appearances if everyone wants to wring their god damned necks.

Get them a popemobile to travel around in

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Avirosb posted:

More than likely Trump went after Obama because the Trumps and the Clintons were...friends(?) at the time, and Hillary ran against Obama.

I've never heard this theory but holy poo poo that's probably exactly why. He started in defense of Clinton and just kept escalating (because he doesn't like stairs) to the point where now she was his enemy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Snuffman posted:

Obama roasted Trump at a different correspondents dinner.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

My read on this is that the moderates are more vulnerable to being primaried than the "this isn't really repeal/this bill isn't evil enough" crowd. (Collins is safe from a primary challenge, Maine Republicans are generally moderate and she is popular) The moderates might still be willing to vote no if they have to, but if Rand Paul, Lee, Cruz, etc are willing to kill it, they are happy to sit back and let them do it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

prom candy posted:

Obama roasted Trump at a different correspondents dinner.

Literally this. Trump also would have probably not run for president if Obama hadn't publicly humiliated him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Snuffman posted:

The birther poo poo was just opportunism. Trump's always been a self promoter, and it kept him in the news and made millions of people love him. Turns out that was a super good move on his part (unless he ends up in prison), because the Republican Party is cynical enough to reward someone almost all of them deep down have to know was lying the whole time with the presidency.

The party establishment obviously didn't want him for president, but they still gave him a platform for years before he ran, so they made their bed too.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

murkowski, like most Alaskan senators, is all about the bottom line for Alaska: there's a pot of $200 billion that can buy her vote if needed (and there's already alaska-specific provisions in the bill) and that could potentially buy enough bribes for alaska to get her vote

She also was primaried not that long ago and pulled off the miraculous write-in candidacy. I think she genuinely cares about not cutting medicaid, planned parenthood, etc but she's not eager to set herself up for another primary challenge if she doesn't have to.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

My read on this is that the moderates are more vulnerable to being primaried than the "this isn't really repeal/this bill isn't evil enough" crowd. The moderates might still be willing to vote no if they have to, but if Rand Paul, Lee, Cruz, etc are willing to kill it, they are happy to sit back and let them do it.

I think you're right they don't want to take a position but I think it's actually simpler: no matter what happens, they don't want to be on the losing side.

Portman is vulnerable on both sides: Ohio is back to being a red state but it's not that red and worsening the opioid crisis is the sort of thing that could cost him his seat. Cassidy is an odd duck: he is from a deep red state and has no real reason to worry about the effects of voting for this but has been acting as if he has a tiny bit of a soul crying out to him that he hasn't quite murdered. It might just be that he's very new and had managed to convince himself that the republican party wanted to do good and hadn't struck a bargain with the devil. I wouldn't rely on him but he is genuinely odd in that he doesn't seem to have a political reason to be a moderate.

Capuito has issues because her base is both very red and very vulnerable to a repeal so she's sort of hosed either way and mostly needs to stay quiet and figure out what the least bad option is because WV will still, occasionally, vote for their own breed of democrat as long as that person can manage to convince the WV electorate they're basically unaffiliated with the national party. Again the opioid crisis is the sort of thing that can cause her real problems.

Murkowski I don't have a good feel for but there is a lot of potential bribe money for Alaska on the table and she's going to figure out exactly what kind of a deal she can get before jumping. She has no fear of a primary because she lost her primary and won the seat anyway as an independent.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

My understanding is that people in Alaska would suffer massively if Medicaid got cut, too. Health care costs are insane there, and people need to get airlifted to hospitals all the time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

She also was primaried not that long ago and pulled off the miraculous write-in candidacy. I think she genuinely cares about not cutting medicaid, planned parenthood, etc but she's not eager to set herself up for another primary challenge if she doesn't have to.

I'm pretty sure that the lunatic who primaried her is going to keep running for office until he wins something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

enraged_camel posted:

"No no, you see, it's not that I couldn't afford it, but that I chose not to buy it. :smug:"

:chloe:

Somebody called it a few pages back. Ah yes, "pay either the mortgage, the rent, the light bill or my premium because I don't earn enough to pay them all" = "freedom of choice".

USA! USA! God, I feel so free. I guess I'll just decide to "choose" never get sick and am "free" to hope that my 6 year old son never needs an operation.

edit:

Sloober posted:

If it's a choice you can't afford to make it is not a choice

oh. I was reveling in my freedom there for a second.

• Locked thread