Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Kind of odd question, I hope this is the right place:

In my city, there are a lot of Warhammer 40K symbols painted on things. Some of them I know are, while others I think are. I remember being curious about this symbol, and then finding out it was a Warhammer symbol, I seem to remember it being for related to the Necrons, but I looked up the Necron glyph again, and it is different:

So is this Warhammer, or is this Mapuche? This is a common question for me!

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't want to make promises or anything

but there's like a 105% chance that I'll draw penises on most of the things you own

This just means the penises will be 5% larger than average.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

In my city, there are a lot of Warhammer 40K symbols painted on things. Some of them I know are, while others I think are. I remember being curious about this symbol, and then finding out it was a Warhammer symbol, I seem to remember it being for related to the Necrons, but I looked up the Necron glyph again, and it is different:

That's just a belly button and a harry vagina.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

glowing-fish posted:

Someone tried to spray a dick, cocked it up and tried to pass it off as ~art~.

I've seen a couple of Khorne symbols pop up a few places around my town, but the local council's really on the ball with cleaning up graffiti so it's usually gone by the next week.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a pretty good write up of the Celestial Lions here. The African pastiches come in the form of the communal traditions, oral history, naming conventions, and getting screwed over by Europe The Inquisition.

There are no power-spears or superstitious native stereotypes (that I've found, anyway), which is pretty goddamn refreshing in wargaming.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

Games and/or Stuff is a solid store, but I'm good with hosting since I won't have to go anywhere and also we can get trashed. July 15th, then? Once we have an invite list together I can PM people the address, but like I said, north of Baltimore, just off of of 795. A table would be a good thing to bring along, if you have one - I have a 4x6 and a 4x8, and I can borrow enough terrain from ShadowDaesh to populate a third, but I don't have enough actual literal tables. Worst-case I'll just buy a folding table, I guess.

Caveat: I have a cupola cats, so if anyone is allergic or just hates cats, that might be a problem.

Never mind, no longer interested. :v:

Warning: I will try to pet your cats a cupola times and therefore may get blood on your things.

I have some of the sector imperialis stuff unassembled I can try to get together and bring over if you need terrain.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Stanyer89 posted:

That's just a belly button and a harry vagina.

SteelMentor posted:

Someone tried to spray a dick, cocked it up and tried to pass it off as ~art~.

I've seen a couple of Khorne symbols pop up a few places around my town, but the local council's really on the ball with cleaning up graffiti so it's usually gone by the next week.

I've seen the same symbol in multiple places, drawn the same way.

Its really bugging me now, because I have this almost perfect memory of thinking it was a symbol for something else, and then finding out it was a Necron symbol. Like, that word wouldn't have just popped into my head out of nowhere! But now I can find no evidence of that. Its maddening!

I am guessing that if it wasn't from Warhammer 40K, it was from some other franchise that would have similar concepts.

But I am having a maddening "Berenstain Bears" moment here.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

I remember (and this was a very long time ago) playing against my friend's tank heavy IG list and those cannons would roar and just decimate poo poo. Sad I will never know this feeling.

Love templates? Then buddy, do I have a game for you.

:discourse:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Random question because I'm too lazy to look it up myself. Do IG get medusas? Are they good or is this Basilisk Edition?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Harkano posted:

Just to confirm, since I'm very new to this. If I'm following the Codex for the Ultramarines Primaris, The Hellblasters get the little chevron on their right shoulders (as opposed to the Intercessors who get the little up arrow, and the Lt, Lt, Cpt and banner guy who get the skulls)?

I'm looking the replicate the decals using those 3D printed pieces from Shapeways (arrows up, 4 arrows out, chevron, and skulls) and trying to make sure I get it right in terms of quantities to order - https://www.shapeways.com/product/TNJJL922T/4x10-squad-making-multipack-1?optionId=63010999

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I have been trying to figure out how to paint the primaris marnie's from dark imperium. I want to paint them as ultramarines and I want them to follow the chapter organizational rules and such but am not sure how exactly all the trims and stuff work with the new primaris marines. All the official GW pictures have them with gold trim which make them 2nd company I think? But they put things like Librarians in gold trim, which I don't see as being part of 2nd company. Also they put the new captain in gold trim, I thought the captain of the 2nd company was Cato? I know I "can paint my dudes however I want" but for this project I want to try and stay as close to possible with Ultramarine structure.

Anyone able to help out a couple of New Bigly owning brothers with some Smurf organisational nonsense?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say it's either a tag or gang symbol.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ANAmal.net posted:

Games and/or Stuff is a solid store, but I'm good with hosting since I won't have to go anywhere and also we can get trashed. July 15th, then? Once we have an invite list together I can PM people the address, but like I said, north of Baltimore, just off of of 795. A table would be a good thing to bring along, if you have one - I have a 4x6 and a 4x8, and I can borrow enough terrain from ShadowDaesh to populate a third, but I don't have enough actual literal tables. Worst-case I'll just buy a folding table, I guess.

Caveat: I have a cupola cats, so if anyone is allergic or just hates cats, that might be a problem.

Never mind, no longer interested. :v:

I endorse visiting other people's houses. I might be able to offer my place in the future. Also according to Amazon at some point in the past I purchased a folding table that I could bring, I would just need to get a top for it. Which I might just make for myself because I need a 4x6 space since my 5x5 table is weird.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just google Space Marine Shoulder Pad Markings. You can find the source materials.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Harkano posted:

Anyone able to help out a couple of New Bigly owning brothers with some Smurf organisational nonsense?

SRM told me this

quote:

The gold trim does indeed mean second company. That's the stock scheme for most of GW's box art, so that's the reason you'll see captains who aren't Sicarius wearing it. The markings they've been getting have been tactical markings for the Intercessors and Devastator markings for the Hellblaster guys; how they'll work in the overall company structure is still up in the air as far as I know. There's a little info in the included Primaris pamphlet in the new Dark Imperium box.

The red skull is the symbol for a sergeant, with the iron halo being used as an honorific but also for the combat squad leader for when a squad gets broken up. As for the checks on the knee, that's just a personal heraldry.

I think more or less GW hasn't really said how these guys are going to fit in exactly, I plan on just treating them as tactical, assault, and devs. One of the things that really threw me for a loop was the transfers have a "XIII" transfer, and there are only 10 squads in a company, maybe it was intended to be cut in half to make a "X" and "III" but its kind of confusing.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Harkano posted:

There are a number that you guys can use. Here's an older guide, but it still works:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

quote:

One of the things that really threw me for a loop was the transfers have a "XIII" transfer, and there are only 10 squads in a company, maybe it was intended to be cut in half to make a "X" and "III" but its kind of confusing.

Ultramarines are the 13th Legion.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question regarding list building - can you make a brigade using two different armies provided they share a keyword? Specifically, could I combine my Howling Griffons and AdMech, since they're both imperium?

Obviously the Canticles wouldn't effect the Howling Griffons, but I was wondering if you'd still get the CP for it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question regarding list building - can you make a brigade using two different armies provided they share a keyword? Specifically, could I combine my Howling Griffons and AdMech, since they're both imperium?

Obviously the Canticles wouldn't effect the Howling Griffons, but I was wondering if you'd still get the CP for it?

Yup, as long as they share a keyword.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

jadebullet posted:

Ultramarines are the 13th Legion.

Do they ever wear that on their shoulder pads? I thought the shoulder pad numbers were squad markings? They also give you "XI" transfers, this is in addition to the 5 "IX" they give you. yes they could just be giving you ten "IX" but why would they print half of them backwards and the other half normal, also why give you 10 "IX" when there are only 5 hellblasters but only give you 5 "III" when their are 10 intercessors.

Also I think most of our questions are less about how things were, its more about how primaris marines fit into the structure. Hellblasters aren't Devastators, they kind of fill a similar roll, so are they replacing the Devastators in 2nd company? are all the Devastators in 2nd company being replaced by hellblasters, or just some? I mean there are a lot of things that could change

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Yup, as long as they share a keyword.

:dance:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

There's a pretty good write up of the Celestial Lions here. The African pastiches come in the form of the communal traditions, oral history, naming conventions, and getting screwed over by Europe The Inquisition.

There are no power-spears or superstitious native stereotypes (that I've found, anyway), which is pretty goddamn refreshing in wargaming.

To elaborate, literally everything about the Lions besides "good guy marines who got on the Inquisition's bad side" comes from Blood and Fire. I started my Lions army like two weeks before that book came out, and thankfully I didn't have any helmetless marines painted up.

Oh, and you better bet there are spears. One of the Warleaders in the novella is called "He of the Spear Who Hunts Hearts" or something like that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok cool! I haven't read that one yet, but now I'm going to have to. My friend just painted a bunch of bigs up up as Lions, and the default Sigmarine gold and blue looks crazy good on marines.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So, re: blast weapons.

How do you think things went wrong? Not enough playtesting, or maybe a disconnect between how playtest games were played vs average games in the wild? It seems pretty universally believed that they dropped the ball on this one.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

chutche2 posted:

How do you think things went wrong? Not enough playtesting, or maybe a disconnect between how playtest games were played vs average games in the wild? It seems pretty universally believed that they dropped the ball on this one.

Asking why GW is bad at balance is like asking why cats purr or dogs fetch, its just part of their DNA. Like in 3 months once people have broken 8th edition and the best list start dominating local scenes people are going to go back to complaining about the rules. New Codexes will drop, some will be trash and some will be good. 8th isn't some great system with a few minor flaws, its another mess with awesome models and a cool story.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Sex Cannon posted:

In the future, let me know when you're painting and I'll make sure to fit the podcast to your busy schedule! :v
You said the 25th in the episode, you let me down Boyd. :colbert:

Kept me busy while I painted all the leadbelcher back in today though, just the gold eyes and seals to go then its on to highlighting.

I hate being quite so meticulous about it right now but its going to look loving sick once they're all varnished and mine forever.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

God drat, now I want to do a Celestial Lions/Black Templars force.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Is it wrong that I was listening to the Badcast while painting Infinity miniatures? Was I breaking some kind of unspoken rule there?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

Somebody lost a few matches to Ironfire and was out for blood.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not the best photos, but these are the Celestial Lions my friend Lexx painted up for the LGS! The star chart on the flag was a nice touch.

(Retributor gold is apparently a dream to work with.)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Those are rad as hell.

I've gotta do a Celestial Lion for my Deathwatch

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

Blood of Kittens has results for one of the first 8th edition GP events:
http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/06/26/results-8th-edition-gt/

In case anyone was too lazy to check, the 1st place army:

Flyer Wing Detachment
3x Stormraven
• Twin Assault Cannon
• Twin Multi-Melta
• 2 Stormtrike Missile Launchers
• Hurricane Bolters

Flyer Wing Detachment
2x Stormhawk Interceptor
• 2 Assault Cannons
• Skyhammer Millile Launcher
• Icarus Storm Cannon
1x Stormraven
• Twin-Linked Lascannon
• Twin-Linked Multi-Melta
• Hurricane Bolters

Patrol Detachment
Captain with Jump Pack
6x Tactical Squad
• Heavy Flamer
• Powerfist
• Combi-Flamer

4x Stormravens, 2x Stormhawks, and Tac tax.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

Not the best photos, but these are the Celestial Lions my friend Lexx painted up for the LGS! The star chart on the flag was a nice touch.

There have been some absolutely great looking Marines posted recently, gj goons

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

OhDearGodNo posted:

In case anyone was too lazy to check, the 1st place army:

Flyer Wing Detachment
3x Stormraven
• Twin Assault Cannon
• Twin Multi-Melta
• Hurricane Bolters

Flyer Wing Detachment
2x Stormhawk Interceptor
• 2 Assault Cannons
• Skyhammer Millile Launcher
• Icarus Storm Cannon
1x Stormraven
• Twin-Linked Lascannon
• Twin-Linked Multi-Melta
• Hurricane Bolters

Patrol Detachment
Captain with Jump Pack
6x Tactical Squad
• Heavy Flamer
• Powerfist
• Combi-Flamer

4x Stormravens, 2x Stormhawks, and Tac tax.

Fair and balanced.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here is my first finished Primaris:

Custom loyalist Thousand Sons successor as of yet unnamed.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

GreenMarine posted:

That's one sharp looking dude.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

GreenMarine posted:

That's great. I wish I put that level of quality on my average fire warrior

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

Fair and balanced.

*sigh* it's dumb to just look at the winner and not the top 8 or so and it's disingenuous to look at that result in a vacuum. 2nd place was a Harlequin-heavy Ynnari force and third place was an Ultramarines army that ran Guilliman and had no flyers.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

*sigh* it's dumb to just look at the winner and not the top 8 or so and it's disingenuous to look at that result in a vacuum. 2nd place was a Harlequin-heavy Ynnari force and third place was an Ultramarines army that ran Guilliman and had no flyers.

It's a joke. Anyone that takes anything seriously from the first tournament like a week after launch is a moron.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

GreenMarine posted:

Nice blood raven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

Jesus, these are amazing.