Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think a lot of people get bad opinions of VR in their head before going in. They hear about screen door, and FOV, and resolution and then that's all they see when they try it. There are times when I'm driving that I think "Wow, this resolution really blows" but it is outweighed by being actually in the car seeing everything in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The big win to me seems to be you don't have to fuss with a number of screens or FOV or anything. You want to see how close to you someone is? Just look at them. The apex? Just look at it.

I haven't bought in yet because getting my PC up to snuff makes it an expensive project but I really see no reason why people would be down on it (unless their stomach just can't handle it).

I would think flight sims would be even more gung-ho with VR.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Don't get me wrong, it's cool as hell, I mean I literally tried to put my elbow out the window once :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

xzzy posted:

The big win to me seems to be you don't have to fuss with a number of screens or FOV or anything. You want to see how close to you someone is? Just look at them. The apex? Just look at it.

This as well, it just cuts out a load of stuff and makes everything more 'natural'.
I'll never forget letting a buddy try iRacing in VR, he never used it at all before. He did the usual 'Holy poo poo' thing and then did half a lap and span out, he then looked over his should and reversed then sat looking through his side window waiting for a chance to rejoin the race - without even thinking about it. I remember thinking how cool that was and what a faff stuff like that can be using a monitor.
It was the way he naturally did what he'd normally do that impressed me.

GhostDog posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's cool as hell, I mean I literally tried to put my elbow out the window once :)

This is me every time I play Euro Truck Sim :v:

xzzy posted:

I would think flight sims would be even more gung-ho with VR.

They are one of the things that are truly mind blowing, even something like War Thunder is superb

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

peter gabriel posted:

This is me every time I play Euro Truck Sim :v:

I wish the truck sim games had a better engine so they could maintain framerate more consistently, but it's still one of my favorite seated VR titles. With a wheel and VR even some of the most complicated deliveries become a piece of cake. Everything just feels right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My problem with Truck Sim is that every place I've put my nerd pit has had a wall right to the left so I can't stick my head out the window.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I bought vr with full expectations of it being awesome and just didn't have a good experience. It was hard to fit over my glasses I found myself having to turn my head to look at things I could see by glancing at either triples, grabbing a drink of water was tricky.

If it was 299 I would have kept it in a heartbeat. The trade-offs weren't worth it for me but maybe they will be for someone else. It was def cool knowing exactly where you were on track and where your hood ended. Just wasn't worth the $500 for me.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I consider myself a financially secure privileged first world person and I still cannot justify the cost of buying VR yet. Especially since i'd have to up my GPU which would make it that much more expensive.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have a friend with the Vive. Which sim works with that?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I went ahead and made a Friday Gooncar iRacing series using only free poo poo, :getin: etc

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

wolrah posted:

I wish the truck sim games had a better engine so they could maintain framerate more consistently, but it's still one of my favorite seated VR titles. With a wheel and VR even some of the most complicated deliveries become a piece of cake. Everything just feels right.

Agreed, I have a 1080 and it still chugs a bit. Doesn't seem to matter what settings I choose. Not enough to ruin it but it is there for sure.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I never play racing sims / games unless I am in VR now and haven't for ages. They need better res and FoV but the pay off is still more than worth it for me. iRacing in VR is just the absolute best to me, I can't even really explain how cool I find it.

Ditto. The sense of scale and elevations is incredible, and I find it much easier to catch slides because I feel so much more connected to the car. Like, I took the Lotus 72 (in AC) out to Nordschleife and did a lap with only one minor mistake on my first try. I could never have done that without VR.

Also, I don't have room for a triple-screen setup, so there's that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I prefer my triple screen setup to the current VR setups.

Low FOV and resolution aren't pleasant for me

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Black Griffon posted:

What settings do you Logitech Profiler guys have for Spring Effect Strength, Damper Effect Strength and Centering Spring Strength? I'm seeing some people online talking about setting them to zero, I haven't really figured out the difference myself.
If you have "allow game to adjust settings" ticked (you should) then those two should make zero difference in most games. I do however like having centering spring effect present because that way you can tell when game FFB is working (the centering spring effect will turn off when game takes over FFB. Having centering spring kick in when game releases FFB is also nice for making sure wheel goes back to centre between races).

Recommended settings for G25/G27 in most games are basically the defaults but with degrees of rotation maxed and overall effects strength at 101% (I can't remember the default setting for "enable centre spring in FFB games" but make sure its disabled). In some situations where less than 900 degrees rotation is used you might want to limit it in driver instead of game, because when you limit it in driver it makes it obvious when you are at full lock (by using FFB at to resist movement past that point at full strength), some games won't do that.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Oh god look what you all have done to me:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Amazing

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

peter gabriel posted:

Agreed, I have a 1080 and it still chugs a bit. Doesn't seem to matter what settings I choose. Not enough to ruin it but it is there for sure.
Sorry to continue the derail (truck thread's this way). Three things to try:
1. Switch to 64bit executable.
2. Turn scaling to 100%. Use a downscaling resolution via your graphics driver to achieve same effect with less processing.
3. Turn off in game antialiasing especially if you do step 2.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 28, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

wolffenstein posted:

Sorry to continue the derail (truck thread's this way). Three things to try:
1. Switch to 64bit executable.
2. Turn scaling to 100%. Use a downscaling resolution via your graphics driver to achieve same effect with less processing.
3. Turn off in game antialiasing especially if you do step 2.

I only play now and then but will try these for sure

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

So it turns out sim racing is kind of hard.

I think I've got a handle on everything except braking. Should I just turn ABS off and practice threshold braking until I get a feel for my pedal? Do you even use ABS in competitive multiplayer?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

FBS posted:

So it turns out sim racing is kind of hard.

I think I've got a handle on everything except braking. Should I just turn ABS off and practice threshold braking until I get a feel for my pedal? Do you even use ABS in competitive multiplayer?

In iracing people do use ABS if the car has it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

I went ahead and made a Friday Gooncar iRacing series using only free poo poo, :getin: etc

This is happening in like 2 hours, it's free as heck :getin:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
- Drive to hell and gone to find a cheap POS wheel as a stop gap until it's time to upgrade for reals
- Turns out they have a used T300 wheel and pedals set for about 40% off - purchase
- Eat dinner, talking about how great this is gonna be to race when the wheel is set up
- Disassemble old Frankenwheel, involving way too many tools and logistics
- Check box one more time to make sure I didn't miss the power cable, and check the box labeling to see if they mention one (they do not)
- Realize it does need a power cable, no other options, it's proprietary, and it's definitely missing

gently caress me. I guess I'm hitting up TM directly for a new cable, seeing as eBay isn't going to be any help at the moment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Edit: Whoops, I can't read.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

40% off is till great deal.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar iRacing calendar update: in addition to the Free Stuff series on Fridays I've put up another 5 race Skip series in the Sunday slot, entirely on ovals because they're way easier to just turn up and race on without practice.

Thompson
Phoenix
:siren: Oxford Plains :siren:
Iowa
USA

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I'm assuming that's good Phoenix and not "bad and also costs $15" Phoenix?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Definitely good and free Phoenix. I will never buy new Phoenix because why would I pay money for an inferior track?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've always enjoyed racing games and have been going more into the sim side of things lately, and I think it's time to upgrade to a decent racing wheel. I have a POS one from playing too much Forza on the 360, but it was like $70 brand new and has garbage control accuracy let alone features like force feedback.

I also built a new rig recently and picked up Dirt Rally, which is awesome. Unfortunately it's on a linux install and I can't get the wheel to work at all and ended up using an old 360 controller. As you can imagine it makes the game a bit tricky

Is the starting point for a decent wheel $250-$300 right now? Searching for the products listed in the OP shows even the lower priced ones going for that much used. Is there a cheaper alternative even worth bothering with?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The Thrustmaster TMX and T150 are pretty good starting wheels and are about $200 or less. For the love of God though, just get a cheap Windows key from SA Mart and install Windows on another partition if you actually want to play games.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sims and all of their attendant hardware are notoriously fucky to get working, doubly so under a Linux environment, but here's a basic driver package for Linux for Thrustmaster T500 and Thrustmaster TX wheels. It does not include force feedback support, and it may not even work under all use cases or may bug out at random while being used, but that's part of the fun of Linux.

https://github.com/her001/tmdrv

(seriously for the love of god if you are even remotely serious about playing a sim racing game or any game whatsoever that needs something other than a keyboard, just pick up a cut rate windows key and dual boot, if only to preserve your sanity)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 4, 2017

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys, the T150 seems to fit the bill.

I already have a Windows install on a second HDD mercifully. I try to get games for the Linux side when given the chance but it's still very limited as you've pointed out. Aside from limited game availability the only issue I've had with it is the wheel support. I'll guess I'll switch over to windows and get the Dirt Rally install queued.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Wow, got relatively painless support from Thrustmaster on the missing cable. They seem to only answer their emails once a day, and they got a little, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR DEVICE?" before I told them it was just a lost cable. After that, no questions asked beyond, here's our Paypal, how fast do you want it shipped?

Still cheaper than buying it new.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Wow, got relatively painless support from Thrustmaster on the missing cable. They seem to only answer their emails once a day, and they got a little, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR DEVICE?" before I told them it was just a lost cable. After that, no questions asked beyond, here's our Paypal, how fast do you want it shipped?

Still cheaper than buying it new.

Thrustmaster's customer support is aces as long as you're in a locale where they sell a product. I've heard of people getting boned living in Australia or whatever, but that's because Australia isn't a market for Thrustmaster for some reason.

They definitely have much better support than Fanatec or Logitech though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

orange juche posted:

Thrustmaster's customer support is aces as long as you're in a locale where they sell a product. I've heard of people getting boned living in Australia or whatever, but that's because Australia isn't a market for Thrustmaster for some reason.

They definitely have much better support than Fanatec or Logitech though.

That's good news. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing rolling.

My boyfriend is a racing neophyte, and he's addicted to F1 2016. I am so delighted by this development. He started off playing one of the Ayrton Senna games on the Genesis, and somehow it sharpened his ability to read a track and memorize corners.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So I got myself the playseat challenge and my friend lent me his G27 as he now has a thrustmaster setup. Once setup this thing is great, fits in the tiny space available and everything just folds away nicely. Bit of a faff getting everything setup initially but definitely worth it.

Had a good go with Assetto corsa after failing horribly to try to play it with a controller and it feels great. Mid engined GT3 cars feel pretty hard to drive, especially the McLaren's but lots of fun. Not sure what other games to try? I've got Pcars and Dirt rally, is raceroom any good?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RaceRoom is pretty good, and it effectively has a demo so you might as well try it out before seeing whether you want to plonk down some money. The starter pack they do now is also a pretty good initial pile of content if you do want to get in. £9 for 5 of the best tracks in the game and a pile of cars including the new Mclaren GT3 and one of the 1992 DTM cars which are some of the best cars in sim racing.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

RaceRoom is pretty good, and it effectively has a demo so you might as well try it out before seeing whether you want to plonk down some money. The starter pack they do now is also a pretty good initial pile of content if you do want to get in. £9 for 5 of the best tracks in the game and a pile of cars including the new Mclaren GT3 and one of the 1992 DTM cars which are some of the best cars in sim racing.

Cool, i'll give that a go.
Edit: oh god I shouldn't be looking at the raceroom store because I can see it being bad for my wallet.

Also i've been looking at mods for AC but it seems lots of them are just abandoned? Did everyone just give up modding for ac or something?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AC modding has definitely slowed down a lot lately, but a lot of mods get abandoned all the time usually when someone's just made a great 3D model but then realises they know nothing about physics and sound work.

A thing to remember with R3E is they do leaderboard challenges on the competitions menu which let you drive car/track combos for free, it's a good way to figure out if you like a car before putting down cash, way better than the 5 minute test drive you can do in the store.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
get the hell into iracing tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Real quality car and track mods for AC are hard to come by, there are maybe a dozen each out there imo. The rest is subpar or straight up ripped without any additional work done. Then people on RD still wax poetically about the "great roadfeel" of some lazy conversion with a ridiculous pothole modifier applied uniformly across the physics mesh and give it five stars.

In terms of track mods (in line with the quality of original content) Automobilista has probably the best selection right now, although to be fair the requirements are quite a bit lower there.

If you like Raceroom they have a sale once or twice a year.