Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is a problem for a lot of ships actually. Tides and coastal geography are a bitch.
You'd think they might have thought about it a little bit when it comes to the flagship of the royal navy.

Like what if the Dutch sail up the Medway when the tide's a bit high? Disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
What would happen if next election, Labour got a plurality of votes but the Tories still retained more seats?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BarronsArtGallery posted:

What would happen if next election, Labour got a plurality of votes but the Tories still retained more seats?

from what i understand the uk doesn't share the usa's insanely stupid everything voting system so it hasn't really come up

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The Tories would form (or try to form if they didn't have a clear majority) the next government. It's entirely based on the number of seats. Same principle as popular vote/electoral college (although not exactly the same).

I think that's what you're asking, I may have parsed the question wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yinlock posted:

from what i understand the uk doesn't share the usa's insanely stupid everything voting system so it hasn't really come up

our voting system is really loving stupid. generally about a million people who live in marginal constituencies decide who's in charge

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Ya i know but it's still possible to win a plurality and not gain the most seats

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ya i know but it's still possible to win a plurality and not gain the most seats

Yes. Churchill did this (the gained the most seats bit), not sure if it's happened since.

Edit:

quote:

General Elections, 1929

Labour wins 287 seats, despite the Tories getting over 203,000 more votes, but only 260 are elected.

General Elections, 1951

Winston Churchill is re-elected as Prime Minister, with the Conservatives and their allies the National Liberals winning 321 seats. This is despite Labour candidates receiving over 230,000 more votes, and only 295 going to Westminster.

General Elections, Feb. 1974

Harold Wilson is elected as Prime Minister with a minority government, with 4 more seats than the Tories (301-297). This is despite the latter party receiving over 226,000 more votes.

General Elections in England, 2005

Even though Labour wins the most seats in England (286) over 64,000 more English voters cast their ballot for a Conservative candidate, but only 194 are sent to Westminster (although Labour still wins the popular vote UK-wide).

The last "in England" one isn't really the same thing though.

Gravy Jones has issued a correction as of 11:06 on Jun 27, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The tories would form the next government.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

our voting system is really loving stupid. generally about a million people who live in marginal constituencies decide who's in charge

ah well i guess the usa had to get it from somewhere

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Yinlock posted:

Does it not work the same way in Canada since you guys have a FPTP parliamentary system as well?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yinlock posted:

The US voting system is way more stupid.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

UrbicaMortis posted:

Does it not work the same way in Canada since you guys have a FPTP parliamentary system as well?

Yes. Although in comparison to the US gerrymandering is much less of a thing, outside of the Prairies at least.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes, at least under Britain's stupid electoral system parties other than the big two can actually get on the ballot paper. The yank system of writing in for third party candidates is extremely stupid and anti-democratic.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

marktheando posted:

Yes, at least under Britain's stupid electoral system parties other than the big two can actually get on the ballot paper. The yank system of writing in for third party candidates is extremely stupid and anti-democratic.

British parliamentary constituencies are only like 40-60,000 people, whereas American congressional districts can be 500,000-1 million people - and we have fewer legislative seats than the UK on top of that. Having small constituencies makes it a lot easier for alternative parties to campaign in, because you can actually physically reach people instead of thinking that tv ad buys matter.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

British parliamentary constituencies are only like 40-60,000 people, whereas American congressional districts can be 500,000-1 million people - and we have fewer legislative seats than the UK on top of that. Having small constituencies makes it a lot easier for alternative parties to campaign in, because you can actually physically reach people instead of thinking that tv ad buys matter.

can you imagine imagine how much of a nightmare the house would be if there were 4,350 representatives instead of 435

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fallen Hamprince posted:

can you imagine imagine how much of a nightmare the house would be if there were 4,350 representatives instead of 435

us should go with new hampshire and have a rep per 3,000 people. 107,000 reps battling it out in a massive stadium-capitol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

consumed by normies posted:

us should go with new hampshire and have a rep per 3,000 people. 107,000 reps battling it out in a massive stadium-capitol

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

107,000 reps enter, only one leaves

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

World War Mammories posted:

107,000 reps enter, only one leaves

And that's how we elect president Dwayne Johnson for life

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

got any sevens posted:

And that's how we elect president Dwayne Johnson for life
10nice99 man slayer

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If Tories got less votes but more seats than labour then their seat lead would almost certainly be lower than it is now and it's unlikely they'd successfully form a government even with DUP support. Labour might if they can strike a sort of progressive alliance deal.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mainwaring posted:

If Tories got less votes but more seats than labour then their seat lead would almost certainly be lower than it is now
They don't have a seat lead atm, and if they had more seats they would have a majority so I'm not sure wtf you are talking about m8

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The US voting system is way more stupid.
In 1776 it was quite a lot better but now it's roughly as dumb.

Also I'm pretty sure this election was swung by some absurdly small number of votes in a handful of constituencies. Like literally under a thousand votes over the entire country deprived the government of a proper majority so is that really better? idk

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was about 2500 but thats not much better

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

And Dan Snyder gets a new football stadium out of the deal, its a win-win

Also, they should hold chariot races in there, for even more Byzantine vibes

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

jBrereton posted:

They don't have a seat lead atm, and if they had more seats they would have a majority so I'm not sure wtf you are talking about m8

he means 'seat lead' over the next largest party (labour). in the event that labour somehow got ratfucked by FPTP so that conservatives came second in popular vote but first in seats.

my interpretation of that scenario is that it would lead to an extremely unstable minority government with either labour or the tories supported by confidence and supply deals with two of the DUP, SNP and Lib dems. labour would have the advantage due to its ideological proximity with the snp and the lib dems not wanting to touch the tories with a 10 foot pole after what happened last time. the tories would somehow have to rope both the lib dems and DUP into supporting them

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Seems legit

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/879771816943788032

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
shouldn't they be considering 'Jeremy'

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

PleasingFungus posted:

they weren't top gear fans

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

wanna pinch that babie's cheeks

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

PleasingFungus posted:

That's the other half.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i can never remember which british papers are tabloids

is it all of them

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Main tabloids are the Sun, the Mail, the Mirror, and the Express.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

absolute baby

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bryter posted:

Main tabloids are the Sun, the Mail, the Mirror, and the Express.

What is the Sunday Sport then, because that's my paper of record

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

deadgoon posted:

i can never remember which british papers are tabloids

is it all of them

the sun's front page graphic for election day had the caption "Toss Him in the Cor-Bin"

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Venuz Patrol posted:

the sun's front page graphic for election day had the caption "Toss Him in the Cor-Bin"

i loved the long list of his 'qualities' down the side

like 'puppet of unions', 'marxist extremist', and 'enemy of business'

then 30% of sun readers voted labour anyway lol

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Byolante posted:

What is the Sunday Sport then, because that's my paper of record

The only publication anyone with sense could trust

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

namesake posted:

That's the other half.