Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
any news on whether or not Ice Cube is gonna allow the fight to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I saw Ice Cube the other day on TV promoting his new 3v3 basketball league, so I'm pretty sure that he's not going to allow the fight to happen.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man I think I've really been underestimating the chance of Floyd losing by DQ

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

i read somewhere floyd was worried conor would do something crazy and get disqualified so they wrote something into the contract that severely punishes him if that happens

Speaking of *crazy* things Conor may or may not do, my hot take is that I'm honestly kinda surprised that we've managed to almost make it through June without Conor saying anything racist yet.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I'm wondering if they have some agreement on how the fight can be promoted/a timeline of when they're releasing statements, etc. etc., because back when Conor was prepping for UFC fights it usually like he was belligerently calling out his opponent every time he had a microphone in his face and I'm not really getting those vibes in the leadup of this fight so far.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Haha lets just say;... ice cube gets his due, or fighty no happen

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i hope ice cubes 3 on 3 thing is cool cause if it's cool then that's fuckin dope

VVV
agreed no war but the class war

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 26, 2017

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Some guy at work is convinced McG will win. I could probably get him to bet on it, but he's kind of dumb so idk if its ethical.

if he's dumb and rich: totally ethical, encouraged.
if he's dumb and poor: completely unethical, don't do it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

coconono posted:

if he's dumb and rich: totally ethical, encouraged.
if he's dumb and poor: completely unethical, don't do it.

We're all poor v0v

I hate betting anyway so I'm not gonna

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Wouldn't surprise me, Conor has been in MMA for a long time and muscle memory is a thing. Training is one thing, but when he is in the ring he might fall back on old habits without thinking about it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I dont think it will be an issue. He nearly attacked and likely would have killed "big" john mccarthy using only muscle memory but luckily he was able to restrain himself at the last moment.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
fight aint even happenin without cube's blessing

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I dont know if you heard player but this is a 3v3 basketball town... Guess I could talk to some people... ease their minds. Make sure your little boxing match happens. For a price...

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
this is like when the rumble in the jungle almost didnt happen because the jackson five had the gymnasium booked for racquetball

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Konstantin posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, Conor has been in MMA for a long time and muscle memory is a thing. Training is one thing, but when he is in the ring he might fall back on old habits without thinking about it.

also after being punched in the head a bunch of times

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the best part of boxing is the post fight interview after they;ve punched each other in the head a lot of times

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

attackmole posted:

Speaking of *crazy* things Conor may or may not do, my hot take is that I'm honestly kinda surprised that we've managed to almost make it through June without Conor saying anything racist yet.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I'm wondering if they have some agreement on how the fight can be promoted/a timeline of when they're releasing statements, etc. etc., because back when Conor was prepping for UFC fights it usually like he was belligerently calling out his opponent every time he had a microphone in his face and I'm not really getting those vibes in the leadup of this fight so far.

Being racist against a black american isn't something mcgregor would be stupid enough to do. Everybody in Dublin is hilariously racist against Brazillians though.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Southpaugh posted:

Being racist against a black american isn't something mcgregor would be stupid enough to do. Everybody in Dublin is hilariously racist against Brazillians though.

That's because Dublin is rubbish. Unlike Galway

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Southpaugh posted:

Everybody in Dublin is hilariously racist against Brazillians though.

Are there a lot of Brazilians in Ireland? Or it is coming from Conor's shittalk.
Genuinely curious.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

kimbo305 posted:

Are there a lot of Brazilians in Ireland? Or it is coming from Conor's shittalk.
Genuinely curious.

The British Isles tend to have quite a few Portuguese, they're Vintage Brazilians.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana White: "OK Ice Cube, we need the arena. What do you want?"

Ice Cube: "Exposure, get my show on TV, lets blow this thing up!"

DW: "........ fine."

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/879452991555870722

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

drat... you dance with the devil & see what happens... the cube always gets his taste.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*puts pinky to lip* one promotional tweet

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't see it and it's cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6cIlxMhco

And a new one by the same guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9iYvFrvHx0

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 27, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Highlight need more of mayweather not being hit. In particular his 'I will lean back from this straight right and hit hit you with my own straight right"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Highlight need more of mayweather not being hit. In particular his 'I will lean back from this straight right and hit hit you with my own straight right"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOCFuBDKDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nigO6f2Cauw

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

You mean this whole video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQYeSXpC244&t=221s

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

kimbo305 posted:

Genuinely curious.

Lotta Brazilians in Ireland, Dublin specifically. Not entirely sure why, must have made a visa deal a while ago. Lots of students and young people.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That's because Dublin is rubbish. Unlike Galway

QFT

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How does a pull counter like that work against a south paw? Seems like it would be harder to pull off since the other fighter should have their left hand in the way.

edit: nm saw some examples in this video of him vs southpaws

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 27, 2017

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't see it and it's cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6cIlxMhco

And a new one by the same guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9iYvFrvHx0

I like these very much

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

How does a pull counter like that work against a south paw? Seems like it would be harder to pull off since the other fighter should have their left hand in the way.

edit: nm saw some examples in this video of him vs southpaws

I've been finding that the estimated chance of success that I give to Conor is directly proportional to the amount of time since I last watched any Mayweather footage. He literally has no chance. He'd have no chance against anyone who Mayweather clowns in any of those vids.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Southpaugh posted:

Lotta Brazilians in Ireland, Dublin specifically. Not entirely sure why, must have made a visa deal a while ago. Lots of students and young people.

Ireland did pretty well out of the Science Without Borders programme, but I think it's being wound down now

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CommonShore posted:

I've been finding that the estimated chance of success that I give to Conor is directly proportional to the amount of time since I last watched any Mayweather footage. He literally has no chance. He'd have no chance against anyone who Mayweather clowns in any of those vids.

I duno man, he outboxed nate diaz for half a round...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

It's Ricky hatton, both for his style and trappings, that makes me feel like we've already seen a technically better version of this fight. Watch out for those check hooks conner...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's Ricky hatton, both for his style and trappings, that makes me feel like we've already seen a technically better version of this fight. Watch out for those check hooks conner...

Conor doesn't fight anything like Hatton.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How much can you get away with feints that would be illegal strikes if they landed? Like faking a teep or knee.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

big money big clit posted:

Conor doesn't fight anything like Hatton.

no one has any idea what conor boxes like outside of "poorly."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

freud mayweather posted:

no one has any idea what conor boxes like outside of "poorly."

The guy who has spent his entire MMA career punishing dudes from the outside with his long left hand and looking for counter opportunities probably isn't going to turn into a mauler like Hatton who spend most of his career trying to get right on top of the guys he fought. Ricky Hatton has shorter arms than Frankie Edgar.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
For sure floyd has never fought a south pawed cultist. First time ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

big money big clit posted:

The guy who has spent his entire MMA career punishing dudes from the outside with his long left hand and looking for counter opportunities probably isn't going to turn into a mauler like Hatton who spend most of his career trying to get right on top of the guys he fought. Ricky Hatton has shorter arms than Frankie Edgar.

In the ring with Mayweather, Conor will be extremely tentative as soon as Floyd lands a counter. Floyd will be able to land at will after that. He won't fight like a boxer mostly because he won't be able to generate offense that Floyd needs to care about.

• Locked thread