Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hmm yes good idea level some economic sanctions on the country that contains the holiest cities in Islam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If we embargo Saudi Arabia then who will buy our military exports?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

namaste faggots posted:

I know loving lol

Opec is totally working you guys

I'm convinced opec is actually doing us a favor in the long term.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://omny.fm/shows/the-jon-mccomb-show/can-bc-afford-to-tackle-money-laundering

quote:

there is nothing to sustain vancouver's economy

- Christine Duhaime

loving lol

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I Loose My House is such a good thread subtitle, but drat if the titles on this and the CanPol thread aren't currently better somehow. Has this one been Uncle Wong's Cabin since the beginning?

I don't know why we're having this debate when The Sun Never Sets on the Housing Empire is still on the table :colbert:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Guest2553 posted:

I don't know why we're having this debate when The Sun Never Sets on the Housing Empire is still on the table :colbert:

Because nobody cares about Australia.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

RBC posted:

real estate only goes up. they arent building any more land

remember in sim city for snes, when you ran out of land, they gave you 4 landfill tiles to build more land

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Just FYI urban planning is where Marxists go to die. Most urban planners are extremely knowledgeable about how systems of land, communities, transportation and economies interact. Unfortunately, urban planning as a job basically cedes all its power to monied interests, wealthy landowners who vote, developers and politicians -- and often times all of these are one in the same!

Is developer-sponsored golf tourney a hazard for councillors, or par for the course?

CBC posted:

Here's the scenario: a charity golf event is largely sponsored and supported by Ottawa's development community, and six city councillors — including the chair and the vice-chair of the planning committee, and the second-in-command of the city's planning department — attend the event.

Is there anything wrong with that?

For those in attendance, not at all. And indeed, they're right that no city rules were explicitly broken at the tournament.

But if the response to past stories about the perception of a too-cozy relationship between developers and city hall is anything to go by, civic groups or individual residents not on the golf course would likely see it differently. 

That is, if they even knew about it.

The not-much-publicized golf event in question was held last Monday.

Formerly known as the Jan Harder Charity Golf Tournament, it used to be organized out of the Barrhaven councillor's office and involved asking developers for sponsorship money.

But that raised eyebrows in some corners after Harder became the vice-chair of the planning committee during the last term of council.

After all, the planning staff and committee make decisions that directly and financially impact developers.

So when Harder was named the chair of planning in late 2014, her office stopped running the tournament.

Since then, the renamed Just Happy Golf Tournament has been run by former councillor and planning chair Peter Hume and former Minto development chief Jack Stirling, who are now consultants

Still, the event continues to be very much considered a Jan Harder affair. She doesn't golf, she says, and didn't elaborate on how she spends her time over the course of the event.

But she's there throughout, delivering welcoming comments at the start and speaking again in the evening.

One home builder referred to this year's event — which raised $72,000 for the Queensway-Carleton Hospital — as "Jan Harder's Just Happy Classic golf tournament."

The sponsors for this year's event included developers Tamarack, Tartan, Monarch, Richcraft, Glenview, Phoenix, Urbandale, Minto, Trinity and Mattamy and engineering consultant CIMA.

This is almost certainly not a complete list, but emails, a phone call and a text to Hume about how the tournament is organized went unanswered.

In addition to Harder, Coun. Tim Tierney, the vice-chair of the planning committee, and his spouse attended, as did councillors Diane Deans, Scott Moffatt, Allan Hubley and George Darouze.

Hubley — who is also on the planning committee — and Darouze ignored repeated requests for interviews on attending the tournament.

But the other councillors spoke openly to CBC and said much the same thing: it's a fun event that raises money for a good cause.

Naturally, developers get to know people at city hall through years of business dealing and sometimes friendly relationships ensue, they said.

Harder was the most adamant that there is nothing wrong with the event.

"We have raised more than $600,000 for the Queensway-Carleton Hospital," Harder said.

"I'm proud of that … I'm doing the same thing I've been doing all these years, but I'm not running it anymore and that should suffice."

Tierney said he golfed with Darouze and said he and his wife each donated $100, but didn't pay officially to register for the tournament.

Both Deans and Moffatt say they're paying their golfing fees through their office expenses. They golfed in a foursome with folks from Mattamy Homes. 

It so happens the Mattamy golfers had been at city hall a couple of weeks ago to talk to Moffatt about a project in his ward.

In other words, he ended up golfing with business people who are actively lobbying him.

All the councillors said no one talks about development applications or files because everyone is there to have a good time, which is very possibly true but also impossible to verify.

Other city hall figures at the tournament included John Moser, the recently retired planning boss.

More to the point, Lee Ann Snedden also attended. Earlier this month, Snedden was promoted as director of planning services, the second most senior position in the planning department.

According to an email from her boss, Steve Willis, the newly minted GM of planning, Snedden asked if she could attend in a "personal capacity" on a vacation day.

Like Moser, Snedden had also gone to the tournament in past years. She confirmed she paid for her registration and all food and drink personally.

So Willis gave her the go-ahead. He would not say who Snedden golfed with, saying the city's legal services advised him releasing other people's names "could be breach of privacy."

However, Willis appears to have had second thoughts. He wrote that in the future, he won't consider past practices when deciding whether staff can attend certain events. 

"I think it is very important that City planning staff be perceived to be impartial, even when our personal lives cross over into our professional world," Willis wrote.

It may be hard to see how helping raise money for a new mammography machine is a bad thing, and the fact is the development industry does sponsor a significant number of worthy causes in this city.

And it's probably impossible for councillors, and even city staff, to avoid all social contact with developers in the outside world.

But with the Just Happy event, it is not just a couple of developers who sponsor it: it's virtually all the big guns. And the councillor most identified with the event is the planning chair.

Given the convergence of city hall and development sector heavyweights, the event is bound to generate at least the perception of conflicts of interest.

Council's ethical code of conduct says councillors should avoid "conflicts of interest, both real and apparent." But the city's integrity commissioner only investigates specific events if a formal complaint is filed.

Although Integrity Commissioner Robert Marleau declined to comment on this specific tournament, he said that "public perception is an important part of the ethical behaviour." 

For city staff, the code of conduct is even more clear, stating it's possible "some outside activities can interfere with our ability to do our jobs or may undermine the neutrality of the City. It is our shared responsibility to prevent the situation where the perception of conflict of interest exists."

One odd thing about the Just Happy Golf Tournament this year is how invisible it was.

There is nothing online — indeed, the marketing folks at the hospital wanted to promote the event, but weren't able to find anything to promote. But the event has been going on for years, so perhaps organizers don't need an online presence.

Yet politicians were also oddly quiet about this worthy fundraiser, with no one tweeting a word about it.

MPP Lisa MacLeod did tweet that she attended a fundraiser BBQ that day for the Queensway-Carleton Hospital, but refused to name the event, eventually tweeting: "What's your motivation here? Your interest? To shame politicians from attending community fundraisers?" 

It's difficult not to conclude that some politicians don't want the public to know about this worthy fundraiser. As Moffatt said, "I know there are optics with these sorts of events."

But if there's truly nothing amiss, shouldn't politicians be up front about attending?

In the end, it's up to residents to decide whether they think this sort of socializing is appropriate.

But they can't decide what they think about events like Just Happy if they don't know about them.

Next year's event is set for June 18.

This happens in every city, with every council, all the time. Urban planners just castrated bureaucrats who were unfortunate enough to think they could affect some positive change through their field. The people who actually shape where you live are developers and the corrupt politicians who enable them.

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 27, 2017

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
So all urban/land planning countrywide should be centralized at a remote location

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

Because nobody cares about Australia.

Valid :negative:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Least of all Australians.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Subjunctive posted:

Too stupid to do what, exactly?

:cmon:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Myriarch posted:

So all urban/land planning countrywide should be centralized at a remote location

Japan does this. Their zoning is a national system.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
LOLOL

quote:

“McMansion Hell” used Zillow photos to mock bad design—Zillow may sue

An architecture blogger has temporarily disabled her website, McMansionHell.com, after receiving a demand letter from Zillow and posting it on Twitter.

On Monday, Zillow threatened to sue Kate Wagner, saying that she was violating its terms of use, copyright law, and possibly the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act because she took images from the company's website without permission. However, on each of her posts, she acknowledged that the images came from Zillow and were posted under the fair use doctrine, as she was providing (often humorous) commentary on various architectural styles. Her website was featured on the design podcast 99% Invisible in October 2016.

Confusingly, Zillow does not even own the images in question. Instead, Zillow licenses them from the rights holders. As such, it remains unclear why the company would have standing to bring a lawsuit against Wagner.

Meanwhile, Wagner now says she's looking for an attorney.

Wagner added in a statement posted to Twitter that receiving this notice was "utterly terrifying."

"There have been no major issues regarding the [website] until this moment," she wrote. "It is my sincere hope that this issue is resolved as amicably as possible."

Wagner told Ars that she disabled the domain to create an archive of the posts.

"I will reinstate the domain when things cool down a bit," she wrote to us via Twitter DM. "Ultimately, I do plan on restoring it in some way, shape, or form. While I will not post Thursday's regularly scheduled content, I do plan on posting a text-centric essay about identifying everyday houses on Saturday."

Meanwhile, Emily Heffter, a Zillow spokeswoman, declined to respond to Ars' specific questions. She sent us the same statement that Zillow has sent to other media outlets.

"We are asking this blogger to take down the photos that are protected by copyright rules, but we did not demand she shut down her blog and hope she can find a way to continue her work," the statement reads.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/mcmansion-hell-used-zillow-photos-to-mock-bad-design-zillow-may-sue/

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

namaste faggots posted:

unzips pants and lays footlong cock on the table

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:wtc: is this poo poo? This dying comedy forum is probating funny posts 24 hours after the fact now? Da gently caress?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Baronjutter posted:

It's really depressing talking to "urban planners" or people with a keen interest in the subject but absolutely zero understanding of economics or finance. The solution to vancouver is more supply. The problem with vancouver and every problem in the entire world is nimby's fighting density. With enough density all problems are solved. Gentrification isn't a problem, it's once again solved by more supply. There's no economic problems in Vancouver because prices are high, it's simply supply and demand. We could be living in a post-scarcity utopia if those drat politicians and racist nimbys (poor ethnic communities are just racist against rich white people) just allowed the density that the market is demanding.

You try to talk about local incomes, or actual population increases, or market speculation, or our insane levels of debt, and it's all just waved away because ultimately it's only about supply and demand.

Femtosecond posted:

I don't personally know any planners, but from what I see on blogs and twitter, it does seem like a lot of them do have their blinders on and are ignoring broader issues in favour of focusing on novel dutch bike lane intersections and how shipping containers can liven up the public realm. Perhaps some do have strong opinions on housing solutions, but keep a lid on it due to the vaguely political nature of their job. On the other hand maybe a lot of them really don't give a poo poo about the complex issues that affect a city, and just like playing in the sandbox and designing some unrealistic neighbourhood with no regard for reality. They get excited when their boss asks them to draw a new Innovation Hub for some aspirational planning document.

Their job revolves around designing new things, new buildings and neighbourhoods, so it's not surprising to me that their opinions would tilt mostly toward adding new supply as a start.

It seems to me that they're pretty limited in what they can do. Vancouver is not in the position of Vienna and isn't able to build publicly owned housing on a massive scale. Many of the issues relevant to the housing bubble can only be tackled by federal and provincial politicians, not municipal bureaucrats. The city of Vancouver should raise property taxes, but again that seems like a political decision, and not something planners weigh in on.

Everyone should read what sitchensis posted.

sitchensis posted:

Just FYI urban planning is where Marxists go to die. Most urban planners are extremely knowledgeable about how systems of land, communities, transportation and economies interact. Unfortunately, urban planning as a job basically cedes all its power to monied interests, wealthy landowners who vote, developers and politicians -- and often times all of these are one in the same!

This happens in every city, with every council, all the time. Urban planners just castrated bureaucrats who were unfortunate enough to think they could affect some positive change through their field. The people who actually shape where you live are developers and the corrupt politicians who enable them.

edit: And in case anyone forgot to read the most important part of his post:

sitchensis posted:

Just FYI urban planning is where Marxists go to die.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 28, 2017

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

Rime posted:

:wtc: is this poo poo? This dying comedy forum is probating funny posts 24 hours after the fact now? Da gently caress?

For the record and I should probably not admit to this but this was the first CI post I have laughed out loud at.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think the real question is who the gently caress reported that post?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Why didn't you tell me to set stop losses before my meetings? You're the worst

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

The person that hit the report button along with R. Guyovich should both be trained to the CBC comments section.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

The person that hit the report button along with R. Guyovich should both be trained to the CBC comments section.

QFT

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

HookShot posted:

Who reports posts at all? The report button should ban you instead.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Number19 posted:

Who reports posts at all? The report button should ban you instead.

:same:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://archive.is/MT89M

quote:

Home search: Couple discovers ownership can be cheaper than renting

Rachel Ralph and her husband, Steve, never imagined being able to buy in Vancouver. Much to their surprise, they even got into one of the most desirable neighbourhoods in the city.

What astonished them more was that the cost of owning their Kitsilano condo is less than what they used to pay in rent.

“We were really shocked,” Ralph told the Georgia Straight in a phone interview.

They’d been renting at UBC for a couple of years when they decided to move off campus.

“It’s a nice location, but it’s near all the fraternities,” Ralph related, “and so there was a lot of parties, and we wanted somewhere a bit quieter.”

She was completing her PhD at the time and teaching at the university as well, which she continues to do.

“I started looking at places to rent for about six months before our lease was up, and the more I started to look, the less I found, and there were certain restrictions,” Ralph recalled. “One is we have two dogs, and that was actually, I think, the biggest barrier.”

After months of searching, they began to ask themselves whether they should buy instead.

According to Ralph, they weren’t confident, because a lot of media reports seem to suggest that one has to be a millionaire to get a place in Vancouver.

They started playing with online mortgage calculators and learned that with her income as a university instructor and her husband’s pay as an auto technician, they could afford a home without a lawn.

“Steve has a different bank than I do, so we made appointments at both banks to see basically who would give us the most,” Ralph said, laughing. “And once we found out how much we could get, we realized that we could probably get a one-bedroom condo in Kits[ilano].”

They then asked friends about reputable realtors, and that’s how they got connected with Tanya Jakubec.

Being first-time homebuyers, Ralph said, they relied a lot on Jakubec, from understanding how the market works to dealing with specific tasks such as analyzing depreciation reports.

They visited 40 open houses and discovered that listings go fast and usually over the original selling price.

Before closing the deal on their Kitsilano condo in May last year, for more than the asking price, they placed bids on three other properties and lost.

According to Ralph, their monthly mortgage and strata fees are a few hundred dollars less than the $2,400 they used to pay in rent at UBC.

Although they were able to get into the market, Ralph said that surging prices may impact their plans to upgrade to a bigger home.

“The market has increased, which is great, and we’ve increased value in this current property, but that also means that everywhere it has increased,” she said. “So it’s kind of we feel like we’re still going to be shut out again.”

Ralph noted that a unit in the building where they live, which is quite comparable to the apartment they got a year ago for more than $400,000, recently sold for $540,000.

A B.C. economic briefing paper released on June 23 by Central 1 Credit Union stated that “tight market conditions are generating significant price pressures in most markets.”

The trade association of credit unions also noted that “efforts to curb activity, including the foreign buyer tax in Metro Vancouver, which had some ripple effects to other markets, have run their course, and tighter federal mortgage insurance policies have seemingly had a mild impact.”

The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver has reported that sales in May this year rose 22.8 percent compared to April, and were 23.7 percent above the 10-year May sales average.

The benchmark price for all residential properties in the areas covered by the board increased to $967,500, or 8.8 percent higher than in May last year and 2.8 percent over that in April 2017.

Ralph and her husband are in their early 30s. With the PhD she completed in March this year, Ralph hopes to get a better-paying job. With that, she said, they may have a shot at another bidding war in the future.

loving lol another shot at a bidding war in future

these people should be loving exterminated

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

namaste faggots posted:

these people should be loving exterminated

reported!!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Noting that this is in Australia, not Canada, check out this 3-part story on a rather financially abusive retirement village company called Aveo. Doubt there's much to stop the same from happening here.

Involves strata takeovers, converting freehold to leaseholds, taking ballpark 40% of home value when sold (!) as contractually-bound exit fees, etc.

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2017/retirement-racket/the-price-of-freedom/
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2017/retirement-racket/the-get-poor-quick-scheme/
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2017/retirement-racket/bleed-them-dry/

PS, there's an annoying autoplay video at the top you can scroll past to stop but it's still worth it.

Edit:
Senior (65+) population in Canada, pulled from here which has projections by province:

2011: 4,938,430
2016: 5,935,635 (From 2016 Census, not other site)
2026: 8,610,428
2036: 10,702,864

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 28, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Can't find it because I'm phone posting but there was a realtor posting last night for luxury duplex condos. 1300ish square feet. Two parking spots. Private elevator. 1.4 million dollars.

In Winnipeg.

1.4 million dollar condos.

Winnipeg.

This is the peak of the market, guys.

Edit: https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18282671/11---761-North-Drive-Winnipeg-Manitoba-Wildwood

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 28, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why would anyone buy that? You can get a house in tuxedo for that much.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You can get a house in tuxedo and put your kids through private school and college, and buy a boat, and retire early, for that much.

EDIT: here ya go. A much bigger house in Tuxedo and $796900 left over: https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18341835/6-Cuthbertson-Avenue-Winnipeg-Manitoba-R3P0N7-Tuxedo

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 28, 2017

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Can't find it because I'm phone posting but there was a realtor posting last night for luxury duplex condos. 1300ish square feet. Two parking spots. Private elevator. 1.4 million dollars.

In Winnipeg.

1.4 million dollar condos.

Winnipeg.

This is the peak of the market, guys.

Edit: https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18282671/11---761-North-Drive-Winnipeg-Manitoba-Wildwood

meanwhile we have luxury apartments downtown for 190K failing to sell and delaying the development of downtown for years!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The condos my wife built on Jessie that were listed for just under $400k are still empty three years later.

Fortunately for her company they got paid just before the developer died of a heart attack and his company went into receivership.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Everyone went crazy and started converting literally any building they could get their hands on into condos over the last 5 years in Winnipeg and I would wager that 80% are still vacant because who the gently caress would want a condo in Winnipeg for 400k when you can buy a detached house for less?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

I would wager that 80% are still vacant because who the gently caress would want a condo in Winnipeg

:same:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

who the gently caress would want a condo

omg I can pay rent and mortgage and be at the mercy of the fiscal foresight of my fellow canadian neighbours what could go wrong

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Postess with the Mostest posted:

omg I can pay rent and mortgage and be at the mercy of the fiscal foresight of my fellow canadian neighbours what could go wrong

- someone without any pride of ownership

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If this thread has shown anything, it's that the average canadian doesn't have fiscal foresight. Myopic money all the way down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Renting is terrible, you're totally at the mercy of landlords who can kick you out at any time.
•condo walls moisture barrier is hosed, everyone is kicked out for extensive remediation plus charged 20k*

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Remember when rainscreening would literally put condo owners in foreclosure?

Bring that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Right on the river too. Enjoy being eaten alive by mosquitoes every summer.

And lmao that description "1J//Winnipeg/Hello Winnipeg this is a first, an eclectic enclave of luxury Townhomes. On the river with spectacular views, 3500 square feet in four storeys of WoW!! "