Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Civ4 was my favourite 4x game until this.

The completely different approaches and playstyles on different factions is what makes it so much better imo. In civ, different leaders/nations barely even matter, here poo poo plays like night and day. I know it's bad for balance, but it's very good for fun.

Antti posted:

Did you play the Civ4 mod Fall from Heaven? Endless Legend is a lot like FFH in terms of setting, style and tone.

Can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay, EL sounds like it might be a good purchase. One question that is important to me at least: how good is the music? Good music can really make a game special.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Node posted:

Okay, EL sounds like it might be a good purchase. One question that is important to me at least: how good is the music? Good music can really make a game special.

It's FlyByNo, as always with Amplitude, so the answer is "really drat good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkSzXAnmAGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDhJ5J9DzQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auwyGnkjK0E

Best part is always when winter finally ends and something like A Kora Tale kicks in.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The soundtracks for Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 are absolutely incredible. I would go as far as saying they basically make the games for me.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

mitochondritom posted:

The soundtracks for Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 are absolutely incredible. I would go as far as saying they basically make the games for me.

I would add Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless to that list too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Endless Legend also handles barbarians a lot more interestingly than Civ 4 or 5 did. All the monster-people villages can be pacified and even assimilated into your empire, counting as pops for your local city, giving you a unique unit (this is necessary since each empire can only research three classes of six types of units) and some empire-wide buff based on how many villages of an assimilated minor faction you have. You can blast them by combat, go on a quest or just straight-up bribe them. It's pretty good.

Couple of reasons why science isn't the be-all and end-all in EL the way it is in Civ; research costs go up a bit for all techs every time you get a new one, and there are actually more techs than you can feasibly research, so you have to get picky and specialize. It's not in a tree, either, its in tiers that unlock every eight techs, so there's a lot of flexibility.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Why can't we get a space 4X that has [great empire building mechanics*] with Sword of the Stars Combat? I don't know of any other space 4x that has combat as good as SOTS.

* ES2/Stellaris/MOO/GalCiv/etc:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

ssmagus posted:

Why can't we get a space 4X that has [great empire building mechanics*] with Sword of the Stars Combat? I don't know of any other space 4x that has combat as good as SOTS.

This. The Total War-style of combat going on in SOTS was both fun and versatile in how you could use it to more effectively run away from situations, position yourself for a better advantage, or have your ship designs be more than a chunk of metal with guns.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

any tips on what planet types to terraform to or to keep as is? so many buildings/hero traits give bonuses for hot, cold, fertile, and sterile that it seems like it's not worth terraforming to steppe, savannah, or monsoon unless going all the way to terran or forest. and jungle & boreal are actually pretty good depending on the FIDSI output you want?
ES2's music is more varied and it is pretty good, but that stellaris' "creation and beyond" is basically like shooting every great sci-fi space theme into my veins

Late game the passive building bonuses trend towards favoring max pop, so going to terran/ocean/atoll is best, but tbh there's not a massive difference between highest pop hot/cold and max pop worlds in overall output imo, so terraforming was always something i did last minute or when i need to bump system happiness up if there's a lot of negative anomalies i can't fix.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm a little sad that Pilgrim gas giant cheese is gone, although I completely understand why it's gone. It was still fun as hell to convert half the galaxy into Jupiters orbited by weird religious satellite cities though.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Antti posted:

It's FlyByNo, as always with Amplitude, so the answer is "really drat good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkSzXAnmAGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDhJ5J9DzQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auwyGnkjK0E

Best part is always when winter finally ends and something like A Kora Tale kicks in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOpdWMbebI

Here's the full OST favourites for me include zolya, ,in undertones, a search for forgiveness.

I really enjoyed the soundtrack to civ V then EL's came along and was spectacular.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hey. I'm gonna be That Person and instead link to the official playlists.

Base Endless Legend Soundtrack
Echoes of Auriga (Compilation Video)
Tempest (Compilation Video)
Making Of Playlist (In-studio camera work, pretty nifty!)

Even better, the base Endless Legend OST is available on Bandcamp for pay-what-you-want, including free. Echoes of Auriga is available for 2.99 EUR and includes the tracks added in non-Tempest expansions. Tempest has its own album for 1.99 EUR.

Endless Space 2 (Compilation Video)
These have a few making of videos as well. Endless Space 2 is listed separately from the other G4F stuff for some reason on Bandcamp, but it's available there as well for 7 EUR.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

rocket_Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOpdWMbebI

Here's the full OST favourites for me include zolya, ,in undertones, a search for forgiveness.

Also this one is actually missing the last 2(?) expansions as well, songs 42-47.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Flawless Theory is great and I love how it's become a series staple. It was originally in ES1, but now it's in EL and ES2 too. :allears:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cygnus and Axial Tilt Zero on the ES2 soundtrack get me cyber hard

Also Zolya is the best theme in EL. Fight me.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ssmagus posted:

Because SotS 1 and everything good about it was a giant fluke.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Psycho Landlord posted:

Because SotS 1 and everything good about it was a giant fluke.

I pre-ordered SOTS 2 :negative:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i want an 4x that actually has me managing an empire that feels like an empire. civilians flying around, trade, crime, politics that matter. basically, stellaris but not horribly unfinished

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Slaan posted:

I pre-ordered SOTS 2 :negative:

:(:hf::(

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

IAmTheRad posted:

Endless Legend is set on a hellhole of a planet called Auriga that you definitely should colonize if you find it in Endless Space because nothing bad will happen by settling down on it.

Do you actually mean Endless Space as opposed to Endless Space 2? I've colonized and even completely terraformed Auriga to Terran in ES2 and nothing happened that I ever saw. I was kind of disappointed to be honest.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
When did you do it? They changed it with the recent patch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Davincie posted:

i want an 4x that actually has me managing an empire that feels like an empire. civilians flying around, trade, crime, politics that matter. basically, stellaris but not horribly unfinished

Distant Worlds does this, its a space 4x that has a private sector that operates entirely on its own, and your actions can influence it. Like building a tourist outpost will create trade and such. You'll see trading ships, corporation ships, and private ships, doing their own thing.

I don't know if it is a good game. Its more or less 2D, way too expensive for how old it is and how simple the graphics are, but I liked the independent private sphere of it and I wish more games would do that.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 28, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Davincie posted:

Agreed. The problem I have with 4x games in general is that I always feel like I'm king of an empire of spreadsheets. Planets always feel like a collection of numbers instead of a world to govern. Leaders and generals are just static stat boosters, rarely more. CK2 has probably done the best job of making it feel like you were a powerful but very vulnerable ruler leading a bunch of people with their own ambitions, but it isn't really a 4x game.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Node posted:

Distant Worlds does this, its a space 4x that has a private sector that operates entirely on its own, and your actions can influence it. Like building a tourist outpost will create trade and such. You'll see trading ships, corporation ships, and private ships, doing their own thing.

I don't know if it is a good game. Its more or less 2D, way too expensive for how old it is and how simple the graphics are, but I liked the independent private sphere of it and I wish more games would do that.

Distant Worlds still is the best space 4x out there if you can overcome its clunky UI. I love stellaris, but you can see how elements of the former influenced the latter.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Mizaq posted:

Do you actually mean Endless Space as opposed to Endless Space 2? I've colonized and even completely terraformed Auriga to Terran in ES2 and nothing happened that I ever saw. I was kind of disappointed to be honest.

I'm pretty sure they are referring to how it's devoid of life by the time of ES and ES2. I'm curious as to what you expected it to be, it was deteriorating in EL so naturally it's desolate by the time of the space games. It's a guaranteed wonder but it's not rigged to explode or turn into a supermassive black hole.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Delacroix posted:

I'm pretty sure they are referring to how it's devoid of life by the time of ES and ES2. I'm curious as to what you expected it to be, it was deteriorating in EL so naturally it's desolate by the time of the space games. It's a guaranteed wonder but it's not rigged to explode or turn into a supermassive black hole.

Yeah, I got that it was an iceball, but I was hoping maybe for some easter egg for terraforming it back or something neat. I got some flavor text referencing its history when you inspect the planet, but that's all I noticed, plus lots of science. I'm not sure if it had extra science versus other ice planets or not.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mizaq posted:

Yeah, I got that it was an iceball, but I was hoping maybe for some easter egg for terraforming it back or something neat. I got some flavor text referencing its history when you inspect the planet, but that's all I noticed, plus lots of science. I'm not sure if it had extra science versus other ice planets or not.

it has extra influence over non-unique planets

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

it has extra influence over non-unique planets

A lot of extra influence IIRC. Wait, maybe that's the Endless homeworld?

Node posted:

I'm going to snag Endless Space 2, but the talk about Endless Legend has got me interested too. If I consider Civilization 4 to be the perfect 4X, am I going to hate EL, or appreciate the differences, or are the two games not comparable?

Honestly, the more I play ES2, the more I realize how much I prefer EL, even at release.

Unit variety:
EL- Every race has a unique roster. Every minor race (20+) has a unique barbarian unit that can be assimilated by the player and built. Every unit has unique special abilities and customizable equipment slots.
ES2 - Every roster is Small/Medium/Large Offense/Defense ships. Every minor race uses the same generic barbarian ships. All ships are floating platforms with no abilities and slight variation in their module slots, and all races use the same modules.

Racial questline:
EL- 8-steps that take most of the game to complete and reward unique technologies and high-impact special abilities.
ES2- 4-steps that can be completed by turn 40 or so if you bother, because all of the rewards are free resources or generic +number boosts, and a lot of them are completely trivial.

Combat:
EL - Tactical, turn-based combat with some clumsy, unclear mechanics. Races play very differently from each other in combat and terrain has an important role.
ES2 - Animated autoresolve. The only tactical choice is which card to use, and the answer is almost always one of the two massive defense boost cards that you start the game with. Every race has access to the same cards.

I guess what I'm getting is: would anyone else be interested in a weekly EL MP game?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Avasculous posted:

I guess what I'm getting is: would anyone else be interested in a weekly EL MP game?

I've only played a bit of EL so I'm not much good at it but I'd be interested

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Avasculous posted:

A lot of extra influence IIRC. Wait, maybe that's the Endless homeworld?

Auriga was one of their special lab planets, not their homeworld.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Auriga was one of their special lab planets, not their homeworld.

No I mean in ES2 there's Auriga, and there's another unique world that's the Endless homeworld (forget the name).

At least one of them gives you a massive influence boost, but I think it's probably the homeworld.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I've only played a bit of EL so I'm not much good at it but I'd be interested

Don't worry about it. Our past games tended to be pretty casual and nobody goes for the throat.

It's a great way to learn since you can ask questions mid-game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Node posted:

yeah ive been interested in distant worlds, but its so ancient and grognardy looking and rather expensive for how unappealing it looks. maybe if it ever hits 10 bucks (fat chance)...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Davincie posted:

yeah ive been interested in distant worlds, but its so ancient and grognardy looking and rather expensive for how unappealing it looks. maybe if it ever hits 10 bucks (fat chance)...

I bought it ages ago, really really enjoyed it for a few days then realized it's mostly playing itself and a ton of things you want to do have you fighting tooth and nail against the automation system or going insane trying to micro things. The dev is also crazy and demands full pricing forever.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Avasculous posted:

Combat:
EL - Tactical, turn-based combat with some clumsy, unclear mechanics. Races play very differently from each other in combat and terrain has an important role.
ES2 - Animated autoresolve. The only tactical choice is which card to use, and the answer is almost always one of the two massive defense boost cards that you start the game with. Every race has access to the same cards.

EL combat is okay if you like going through the motions in every battle. If you let the AI resolve it for you, you quickly realise the AI has no clue how to use all many of the support abilities properly (i.e the right targets) and either ignores terrain if it isn't on the shortest path or bodyblocks itself.

I tried MP with a friend before the devs started to work on desyncs and we skipped the majority of battles to fit in more actions between desyncs (Civ desyncs regularly so it's hardly a recent phenomena). Going by the little EL MP discussion I've read, autoresolving is the norm and players make unit choices that suit autoresolve. ES2 sidesteps that issue altogether and tries to be consistent with the results.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I would absolutely be down for EL multiplayer.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Mizaq posted:

I was being serious. Nothing bad happens by colonizing Auriga in ES2.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Delacroix posted:

EL combat is okay if you like going through the motions in every battle. If you let the AI resolve it for you, you quickly realise the AI has no clue how to use all many of the support abilities properly (i.e the right targets) and either ignores terrain if it isn't on the shortest path or bodyblocks itself.

I tried MP with a friend before the devs started to work on desyncs and we skipped the majority of battles to fit in more actions between desyncs (Civ desyncs regularly so it's hardly a recent phenomena). Going by the little EL MP discussion I've read, autoresolving is the norm and players make unit choices that suit autoresolve. ES2 sidesteps that issue altogether and tries to be consistent with the results.

I really like Morg and it sucks a bit because autoresolving is super not good with masterminds or heroes in the battle, but I just do manual battles for important/close battles. Just make sure you set battle animation to fastest in advaned game settings before starting the game, it cuts the battle time by like 80%.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

How does one build toward autoresolved conflicts in EL exactly? I just picked this thing up on steam so I'm curious. Also I constantly feel like I'm loving up but that's pretty normal for a 4x with me so whatever!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is "influence pressure" on the diplomacy screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

S.J. posted:

How does one build toward autoresolved conflicts in EL exactly? I just picked this thing up on steam so I'm curious. Also I constantly feel like I'm loving up but that's pretty normal for a 4x with me so whatever!

He sort of got at this in the post, but it's my recollection that the AI pretty much just slams things into the closest target without really considering things like kiting and special abilities. It therefore probably behooves you to just go for raw stats if you're going to autoresolve everything.

Delacroix posted:

The clueless autopilot thing is part of what I was getting at with the 'clumsy' comment. Especially with the stances, but I forget exactly how they work (or rather, don't).

I can't speak for public MP games, but in goon games we had the understanding that PVP battles are fought manually if either player wants to. Desyncs were a huge problem when the game launched, but Amplitude did a pretty good job of whittling them down to once every couple of hours or so.