Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Incessant Excess posted:

What if I want a premium device but prefer my OS to be more deliberately paced than IOS? Touchwiz fits that bill.

For now, Pixel fits that bill on the android side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Posted in the Android thread.

Very fair point. I actually considered an iPhone, but mobile ad block pulled me back in.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ola posted:

Very fair point. I actually considered an iPhone, but mobile ad block pulled me back in.

iOS has had OS-level ad blocking for a long time?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

No its not? People are told to get an iPhone in this thread all the time.

Gotcha. Yeah I didn't want to seem totally adverse or anything like I was trolling.

But yeah at that price point say no to Samsung.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

iOS has had OS-level ad blocking for a long time?

Yes, correct, iPhones which have iOS have that so that is why I considered an iPhone but mobile ad block on Android pulled me back in to Android from iPhone. Sorry for being unclear, even though I wasn't.

vvv you too

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 27, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ola posted:

There are many different ad blockers for iOS. I'm not even sure what sort of obtrusive ads people are getting, but I rarely surf anything using Safari and just use Feedly for most of my written content.

Krime posted:

So the Note 8 is going to be approximately $1000?

Samsung can gently caress right off. I'll find something else.

Samsung's high end phones have always flirted around that price for years. Not sure what you're expecting?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Samsung's high end phones have always flirted around that price for years. Not sure what you're expecting?

If we're all talking USD, that's not quite true. S8 and S8+ are $750 and $850, Note 7 was $850 I believe, S7 Edge was ~$750, etc. $1000 would be a significant jump, and especially when the last Note was such a fiasco, doesn't seem like raising the price by 15-20% is a great move.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Krime posted:

So the Note 8 is going to be approximately $1000?

Samsung can gently caress right off. I'll find something else.

Every article I've seen with that claim is taking the leaker's quoted price and straight converting it from GBP to USD. They are ignoring the fact that not only have phones always been more expensive in the UK, British prices also have the tax included. You don't have to be clairvoyant to know the Note 8 will be crazy expensive, but these articles seem like disingenuous clickbait to me.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

there is no universe in which you should spend that kind of money

I know that's controversial to this thread but then again,

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you tried gluing grip tape to the back
Nope! But I have considered a textured skin from here: https://www.gadgetshieldz.com/motorola-moto-g5-plus-skins-decals-wraps.html

CLAM DOWN posted:

Might I recommend whacking it against a desk
Pretty much happened on accident already so

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Every article I've seen with that claim is taking the leaker's quoted price and straight converting it from GBP to USD. They are ignoring the fact that not only have phones always been more expensive in the UK, British prices also have the tax included. You don't have to be clairvoyant to know the Note 8 will be crazy expensive, but these articles seem like disingenuous clickbait to me.

Ah yeah, if it was pound leaked prices converted to USD, that's stupid. Seems like their typical $850 is likely?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

$1000 for a phone, regardless of manufacturer or OS is really really silly.

If you got the money and want it though, have at it. I don't get the appeal myself if my experience on the Tab S3 is any indication, the devices aren't refined enough.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The back of the Note 8 looks weird, that fingerprint scanner location looks awkward as gently caress, worse than the S8. Apparently Samsung gave up on the under-the-screen scanner.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah the back looks Bad

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

$1000 for a phone, regardless of manufacturer or OS is really really silly.

If you got the money and want it though, have at it. I don't get the appeal myself if my experience on the Tab S3 is any indication, the devices aren't refined enough.

Plenty of people bought old nokia phones for $999

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is the top bezel really as big as it seems? Looks a lot bigger compared to the S8.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

If we're all talking USD, that's not quite true. S8 and S8+ are $750 and $850, Note 7 was $850 I believe, S7 Edge was ~$750, etc. $1000 would be a significant jump, and especially when the last Note was such a fiasco, doesn't seem like raising the price by 15-20% is a great move.

Further to the post about British prices, our sales tax is in fact 20%.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Is the top bezel really as big as it seems? Looks a lot bigger compared to the S8.

Yup, I'm really surprised tbh, I was betting on more of an S8-style infinity display rather than being mostly like the Note 7.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, I'm really surprised tbh, I was betting on more of an S8-style infinity display rather than being mostly like the Note 7.

Third time's a charm right?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

CLAM DOWN posted:

The back of the Note 8 looks weird, that fingerprint scanner location looks awkward as gently caress, worse than the S8. Apparently Samsung gave up on the under-the-screen scanner.

If they couldn't get the under screen scanner to work they couldn't get it to work but if Apple did then Samsung is screwed. I mean there are rumors that Apple couldn't either but if they did Samsung went to taking away one of the halo features of the high-end iPhone to playing second fiddle to a feature Apple is going to push like crazy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

If they couldn't get the under screen scanner to work they couldn't get it to work but if Apple did then Samsung is screwed. I mean there are rumors that Apple couldn't either but if they did Samsung went to taking away one of the halo features of the high-end iPhone to playing second fiddle to a feature Apple is going to push like crazy.

They're hardly "screwed", don't be hyperbolic.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How do I add words to my dictionary? My phone now won't let me swype the word labour like 80% of the time and I'm about to huck it at the loving wall

Edit: well it seems to be doing it now, might just be my swipe pattern. Labour. Yup, weird

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 27, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

How do I add words to my dictionary? My phone now won't let me swype the word labour like 80% of the time and I'm about to huck it at the loving wall

Depends on which phone and keyboard you're using.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Spell it the right way then. :911:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Edit: well it seems to be doing it now, might just be my swipe pattern. Labour. Yup, weird

Change your phone language to the right one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://twitter.com/DetroitBORG/status/879776542255177728

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

Plenty of people bought old nokia phones for $999

I stand by my statement.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I'm moving from AT&T to T-Mo, any way to unlock my Galaxy S8+ without paying $50 to a site like TheUnlockingCompany?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow that's not good.

raej posted:

I'm moving from AT&T to T-Mo, any way to unlock my Galaxy S8+ without paying $50 to a site like TheUnlockingCompany?

Call AT&T. They'll unlock if it's paid off.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Looks like some fake-rear end renders to me? What's the source?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Looks like some fake-rear end renders to me? What's the source?

http://www.androidauthority.com/lawnchair-customizable-rootless-pixel-launcher-783260/

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/879563378934546433

They could easily be fake, calm down. It's just speculation/rumours/leaks at this point.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

raej posted:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

quote:

Device requirements for ALL requests

Devices must:
Be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T network. (Questions? See Device unlock support)
Not be reported lost or stolen
Not be involved with fraudulent activity
Have all service commitments and installment plans completed and all early termination fees paid in full
Not currently be active on a different AT&T customer's account

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looking forward to the inciner8

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Looking forward to the inciner8

Just import the 7 from south korea

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

syscall girl posted:

there is no universe in which you should spend that kind of money and not get an iPhone

I know that's controversial to this thread but then again, the thread hates sarnsung so

I went from a Nexus 6P to an iPhone 7 Plus and am mostly regretting it.

The iPhone has much better battery life and seems more solidly built but in every other way I prefer the Nexus - Android is just flat out better to use than iOS at this point and the camera and display were better than what's on the iPhone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ola posted:

I'm very behind the times. Other than Opera for web, what's the preferred Android mobile adblock solution?

(I am already using Opera and finding it surprisingly good.)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dwarf74 posted:

I'm very behind the times. Other than Opera for web, what's the preferred Android mobile adblock solution?

Firefox with ublock origin is what I use on both mobile and PC

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
If you have a Nexus or other compatible device the Samsung Internet Browser is actually Chrome based and has ad blocking through other Play Store installs like e.g. Adguard.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Red Warrior posted:

If you have a Nexus or other compatible device the Samsung Internet Browser is actually chromium based and has ad blocking through other Play Store installs like e.g. Adguard.

Fixed your post. Samsung Internet is cool and good and I use it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I've only tried Firefox with ublock so far, will try Opera at some point. I don't block ads in the OS, think you need root for that. Not that bothered about ads in apps, the ones I use anyway. There are some really obnoxious ones out there, but for every flashlight with invasive notifications there are 12 student-made plain ones.