Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

RCarr posted:

Without question. I've never seen anyone with the touch Jordan had around the rim. Not even close. I can't even imagine trying to guard him.

Jordan was amazing, but highlights are deceptive. They didn't all look like that.

I think Kyrie has an equal touch around the rim. Of course, Jordan blows Kyrie away in athleticism, explosiveness, defense, mid-range game, killer instinct and everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hayward was the last American white guy Utah actually drafted

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Agree/disagree: The Miami Heat have the best doping program in the NBA

umm they prescribed a regimen which ended Bosh's career, I'll go with disagree

Is it not airing anywhere then? That'd be inconvenient. Getting it from somewhere other than paying for league pass is hardly an inconvenience and more like them losing money. Just give me a video of the gym it can't be that expensive to produce

This includes a section called "Hot Hand Fallacy" HOT HAND IS REAL you may safely ignore the contents of the whole page

predicto posted:

Jordan was amazing, but highlights are deceptive. They didn't all look like that.

I think Kyrie has an equal touch around the rim. Of course, Jordan blows Kyrie away in athleticism, explosiveness, defense, mid-range game, killer instinct and everything else.

I remember there being at least one or two of those a game. It's a highlight reel, but it was something he was easily capable of doing. You don't need to put it in from waist level behind your head weaving through three defenders mid-air every time.

Kyrie physically cannot do some of those moves because they involve fairly absurd palming. Most players need to stabilize the ball with their off hands when they're double (or triple) clutching

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 27, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

This includes a section called "Hot Hand Fallacy" HOT HAND IS REAL you may safely ignore the contents of the whole page

Klay Thompson scored 37 points in one quarter

Hot hand is real

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The conceit of acquiring PG with the belief that they (the Celtics) can keep him beyond this year is the renegotiate and extend using space. The very space they need to sign Hayward. This would involve some cap wizardry of the absolute highest order and apparently yield the following:

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/879775875960627200

presumably Bradley, Crowder, and Rozier are in the Pacers trade or they're otherwise auctioned off in short order for the best bid that returns zero salary and only future assets.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

The conceit of acquiring PG with the belief that they (the Celtics) can keep him beyond this year is the renegotiate and extend using space. The very space they need to sign Hayward. This would involve some cap wizardry of the absolute highest order and apparently yield the following:

presumably Bradley, Crowder, and Rozier are in the Pacers trade or they're otherwise auctioned off in short order for the best bid that returns zero salary and only future assets.

Yeah it's still a longshot and they could very well end up with neither but I'm glad they're trying

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think that roster is better significantly than they had last year, but in a series against Cleveland still loses. They match up much better against Lebron with PG to guard him, but with Bradley gone have no-one to guard Kyrie other than start Smart, which hurts your offense a lot. Still, better to let Kyrie have the ball and go 1-on-1 than have no-one remotely able to guard Lebron.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
12 minutes of nothing but insane reverses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vBc395dSg4&t=259s

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

And with the 16th pick of the 2018 draft, the Utah Jazz select Killian Tillie from Gonzaga!
Don't worry he's white, he's named loving Killian (:wow:), and he kinda looks like Gordo Hayseed if you squint.

He's French and Killian, sometimes spelled as Cillian, is fairly common in Ireland and, to a lesser degree, in France and Austria.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Hayward was the last American white guy Utah actually drafted

Utah only drafts people who are similar to the people of Utah, which is why you also need to count the 7' Turkish Muslim guy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tatum has to be going to Indiana .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

If you acquire PG through the trade you can sign him using Bird Rights after next season. That would require PG to want to commit to Boston, but he has indicated he would do that if they also got Hayward. They could do it without cap space if they want to put some faith in George. George doesn't really "get" anything but lying to them, other than to play 1 year in Boston I guess.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What terrible power forward is going to be starting for them next year, waiting to be scapegoated when the team fails to win?

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah it's still a longshot and they could very well end up with neither but I'm glad they're trying

definitely worth trying--would be pretty interesting to see the arms race while the deals came together as Cleveland, LA, whoever raced to beat the offer for George. We could see Crowder and Rozier traded in, like, 5 minutes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's French and Killian, sometimes spelled as Cillian, is fairly common in Ireland and, to a lesser degree, in France and Austria.
Oh I know it's just a wonderfully white name like Kelly
Utah can have Killian, Boston can have Kelly, and Indiana can have Gordo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

definitely worth trying--would be pretty interesting to see the arms race while the deals came together as Cleveland, LA, whoever raced to beat the offer for George. We could see Crowder and Rozier traded in, like, 5 minutes.

They need to get rid of Crowder regardless really to even be able to afford one max, so I'm fully expecting that. I also think Terry Rozier sucks so I would like to see him go as well. Make it happen Daniel

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Jordan will forever be the man who pushed off to me.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

If they'd be giving up both Crowder and Bradley, no way theyd give up the nets pick next year right?

Can Jayson Tatum play any D? Maybe they could try to bring back Tony Allen on a vet's minimum exclusively for defending Kyrie Irving

I could see that series being very competitive. I'd pick Cleveland but much stranger things have happened

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Panzeh posted:

just a gentle pat on the butt to send the Jazz on their way :) into the ash heap of history

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/879778246853873665

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Panzeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3S9HTB4lJg&t=31s

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

That seems entirely reasonable. I hope its zeller and not bradley.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg that is nothing for George

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Can Jayson Tatum play any D?

No.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

*soul patch migrates northwards as the klaxons blare and the Hitler Alert elevates to code Pure Hitler*

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

EvanTH posted:

I remember there being at least one or two of those a game. It's a highlight reel, but it was something he was easily capable of doing. You don't need to put it in from waist level behind your head weaving through three defenders mid-air every time.

Kyrie physically cannot do some of those moves because they involve fairly absurd palming. Most players need to stabilize the ball with their off hands when they're double (or triple) clutching

Agreed, but Kyrie does some finishes with spin and timing that I haven't ever seen anyone else do effectively except maybe Curry sometimes. Shots from angles that seemingly have zero chance to go in or almost surely will be blocked nonetheless regularly drop for Kyrie.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

They should trade IT and keep the cheaper defensive backcourt players. Hayward and George can both initiate the offense and will provide plenty of scoring.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

predicto posted:

Agreed, but Kyrie does some finishes with spin and timing that I haven't ever seen anyone else do effectively except maybe Curry sometimes. Shots from angles that seemingly have zero chance to go in or almost surely will be blocked nonetheless regularly drop for Kyrie.

I know the ones you're talking about but the phrasing makes me think of AI over Howard and I love that shot so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ490VFWtdg

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Panzeh posted:

No that's Michael Irvin. And Drew Pearson. And every goddamn cheating Dallas Cowboy ever.

oh wait wrong sport

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Paul george rental getting more than Jimmy Butler under contract for 2 years making less than 20 mill.

And I bet they won't have to pick swap!!!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

predicto posted:

Right, Kyrie's finishes are a bit more impressive because he doesn't have freak hands or superheroic athleticism, he's a bit below average athletically for an NBA pg, but he's super agile, handles the ball so well, and finishes like a better Steve Nash.

He makes layups that you can't make. You know the phenomenon of every dad in america having a weird unblockable signature layup, Kyrie compiled them all and he can do them while falling or running or jumping in any direction

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

What terrible power forward is going to be starting for them next year, waiting to be scapegoated when the team fails to win?
Paul George

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Paul george rental getting more than Jimmy Butler under contract for 2 years making less than 20 mill.

And I bet they won't have to pick swap!!!

It's not a rental; the tweet specifies a 3yr extension.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't know of many Indy fans that were against PG until his agent tanked his trade value publicly for seemingly no reason but to help out the Lakers. Maybe I'm wrong though

Not here, no we are pretty reasonable. Pacers Reddit is unreadable, though the bloggers I follow have been pretty balanced with "He has the right to do what he wants, but oof leaking that was bad."

Also any PG extension would have to only be verbal, he loses a ton of cash for signing an actual extension right now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: if we try to sign Igoudala again
https://twitter.com/TonyXypteras/status/879735074396176384

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

Not here, no we are pretty reasonable. Pacers Reddit is unreadable, though the bloggers I follow have been pretty balanced with "He has the right to do what he wants, but oof leaking that was bad."

Yeah that's my thought process.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Eltoasto posted:

Also any PG extension would have to only be verbal, he loses a ton of cash for signing an actual extension right now.

I'm glad that I stay within our little NBA bubble

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/espnsteinline/status/879766425832800256

I still believe in the Banana Boat.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PG wants to go to the lakers. I don't know why any other team would trade for him, he's not going to re-sign, and as a Celtics fan I don't want him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

imo thats a reasonable deal given the situation Indiana is in

Boston should trade IT for a Small Forward, because a team of entirely 3&D Small Forwards with 1 star who you cant switch big / little onto is the future.

How good would a team of entirely Andre Iguodalas be? I bet they'd make the playoffs pretty easily

• Locked thread