Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Its p loving rich to complain about academics acting all exclusionary with their high-falutin' language while you erect a "you must be at least this poor and stupid to participate" sign by the entrance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's an indicator that they're going to focus on academic nonsense with no connection to normal people's lives, idiot.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
if you don't understand the hilarious tone-deafness of people who sound like grad school burnouts while complaining about privilege, while advancing a radical left platform under the banner of racial justice, and who let themselves get schooled by Clinton while clowning on Bernie, then perhaps it is you who are the someone that should be mocked in this thread

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jizz Festival posted:

It's an indicator that they're going to focus on academic nonsense with no connection to normal people's lives, idiot.

Okay and if they were in charge of the movement or indicative of its direction that'd be a problem

But they're not

So its fine

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

if you don't understand the hilarious tone-deafness of people who sound like grad school burnouts while complaining about privilege, while advancing a radical left platform under the banner of racial justice, and who let themselves get schooled by Clinton while clowning on Bernie, then perhaps it is you who are the someone that should be mocked in this thread

Are we even talking about the same movement here? Black Lives Matter supported Clinton? Stop reading Breitbart you loving clown

e: wait a loving minute

while advancing a radical left platform under the banner of racial justice,

Woah what

That username's not ironic is it, you're an actual MAGA chud

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Jun 27, 2017

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

Are we even talking about the same movement here? Black Lives Matter supported Clinton? Stop reading Breitbart you loving clown
i didn't say they supported Clinton i said she schooled them, specifically when a group of BLM activists confronted her and she made them look like a bunch of children.

quote:

Woah what

That username's not ironic is it, you're an actual MAGA chud
yeah you're right sorry
"We are committed to fostering a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking or, rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual unless s/he or they disclose otherwise."
"We are committed to being self-reflexive and doing the work required to dismantle cis-gender privilege..."

real mainstream poo poo right there. real salt o' the earth. straight down the political centre.

you dunce.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Centrism is poisonous poo poo but gj on trying to discredit the whole loving umbrella of BLM activism because you're triggered by someone somewhere using academic language to try and be inclusive

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i didn't say they supported Clinton i said she schooled them, specifically when a group of BLM activists confronted her and she made them look like a bunch of children.
Do you mean where that activist confronted her in the diner and she malfunctioned like a robot with a bugged script until they were dragged out

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

Centrism is poisonous poo poo but gj on trying to discredit the whole loving umbrella of BLM activism because you're triggered by someone somewhere using academic language to try and be inclusive
anyone who has an issue with centrism as such is probably dangerously stupid. also, blacklivesmatter.com/ is a far cry from "someone somewhere"

Crane Fist posted:

Do you mean where that activist confronted her in the diner and she malfunctioned like a robot with a bugged script until they were dragged out
no i meant this video wherein she sounds like the only adult in the room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjQM0SpFuA

are you referring to this video where she also sounds like the only adult in the room? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqLfvQfuvsA

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"moderation and compromise are bad" - a goon

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moderation and compromise got you Donald Trump as President

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

Moderation and compromise got you Donald Trump as President

The DNC being intent on pushing a candidate that was hated(with good reason) and also ran a disastrous campaign is why Trump won.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

oh no my brain

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

anyone who has an issue with centrism as such is probably dangerously stupid. also, blacklivesmatter.com/ is a far cry from "someone somewhere"

What exactly is wrong with it though? Like I get that it's pretty fancy language but it's used in service of the noble goal of acceptance and inclusion. What kind of loving idiot objects comes along and goes "well I agree with what you're trying to do but you expressed it incorrectly so I'm out" apart from mindless dead-eyed mass media cowards and disingenuous fucks concern-trolling for a way to bash the queers without coming out and just admitting gays make them uncomfortable?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lohli posted:

The DNC being intent on pushing a candidate that was hated(with good reason) and also ran a disastrous campaign is why Trump won.

Yeah a candidate who was the human embodiment of middling, incremental 'compromise' politics

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

passionate dongs posted:

oh no my brain

gently caress, I laughed

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Crane Fist posted:

What exactly is wrong with it though? Like I get that it's pretty fancy language but it's used in service of the noble goal of acceptance and inclusion. What kind of loving idiot objects comes along and goes "well I agree with what you're trying to do but you expressed it incorrectly so I'm out" apart from mindless dead-eyed mass media cowards and disingenuous fucks concern-trolling for a way to bash the queers without coming out and just admitting gays make them uncomfortable?

Well just on the face of it it's a communication/PR issue.

If you want your social movement to gain mainstream acceptance then you have to communicate in a way that the average person can understand. Not to put too fine a point on it but the average person is not terribly smart (though this doesn't make them stupid either) and they have been conditioned by various media to recognize and reject academic language when they see it. So when you use this high falutin' ivory tower newspeak stuff, the average yokel who has been forced to raise a family of five on $28,000 per year doesn't give a flying gently caress. He doesn't care about "rejecting the nuclear family as a way to disrupt white privilege and further intersectional transgenderqueer feminist communism." He's not going to care, HE'S NOT GOING TO CARE AND NEITHER IS ANYONE ELSE IN HIS COMMUNITY. And when that happens then you can be assured that public opinion will continue to ignore your social movement because public opinion is built on the backs of people like that guy.

Social movements are about communicating with people. This is why Bernie did in fact dominate so much of the Dem primary. He communicated easily and effectively, he didn't get bogged down with policy details. Trump also did this. "Who's going to build the wall? MEXICO."

So if you're going to try to push something mainstream and get lots of acceptance quick, you had better know how to communicate simply, fast, and effectively. Not this #woke academic bullshit. The reason academics are largely rejected from the majority of American society is precisely because they communicate in such a needlessly obscure way.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

HIJK posted:

If you want your social movement to gain mainstream acceptance then you have to communicate in a way that the average person can understand. Not to put too fine a point on it but the average person is not terribly smart (though this doesn't make them stupid either) and they have been conditioned by various media to recognize and reject academic language when they see it. So when you use this high falutin' ivory tower newspeak stuff, the average yokel who has been forced to raise a family of five on $28,000 per year doesn't give a flying gently caress. He doesn't care about "rejecting the nuclear family as a way to disrupt white privilege and further intersectional transgenderqueer feminist communism." He's not going to care, HE'S NOT GOING TO CARE AND NEITHER IS ANYONE ELSE IN HIS COMMUNITY. And when that happens then you can be assured that public opinion will continue to ignore your social movement because public opinion is built on the backs of people like that guy.

Social movements are about communicating with people. This is why Bernie did in fact dominate so much of the Dem primary. He communicated easily and effectively, he didn't get bogged down with policy details. Trump also did this. "Who's going to build the wall? MEXICO."

So if you're going to try to push something mainstream and get lots of acceptance quick, you had better know how to communicate simply, fast, and effectively. Not this #woke academic bullshit. The reason academics are largely rejected from the majority of American society is precisely because they communicate in such a needlessly obscure way.

ah yeah, that's how bernie won

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

passionate dongs posted:

ah yeah, that's how bernie won

i mean he did get stabbed in the back so

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

besides

Jizz Festival posted:

... what's wrong with it is that it suggests (to me) that they aren't actually interested in communicating with the people they claim to be supporting. they have big ideas and big words for other people with big tuition debts. it's the height of arrogance and arrogance is not a virtue.

more conspiracy-mindedly, it suggests that they are coming from an academic critical theory background which is a morass of stupidity and nonsense, and even if they have nice sounding ideas, god help us if they themselves get to legislate them.

e.

passionate dongs posted:

oh no my brain

yessssssssss

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HIJK posted:

This is all true and a good point, but kind of irrelevant- BLM isn't about that genderqueer destroy the family thing, it's about "cops keep killing us oh poo poo" and that's what the main message is. That yokel you're talking about isn't going to be doing what TTT was and scrolling through their website to try and find something to make them look bad. His exposure is going to come from the news about protests and activism poo poo BLM is up to, the main message of which is the whole police murders thing. If he's not interested in genderqueering that's fine, because that's not the message BLM is fighting for. It's incidental.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

besides

... what's wrong with it is that it suggests (to me) that they aren't actually interested in communicating with the people they claim to be supporting. they have big ideas and big words for other people with big tuition debts. it's the height of arrogance and arrogance is not a virtue.

The people that messaging is for will get it, because they're the ones living it and honestly the language isn't that high-minded or academic- I know what they're saying and I left school at 16, never to return. Besides, anyone who isn't reached by that is free to concentrate on their message of hey, we're people too, stop killing us, which is communicated in three words and far more central to what BLM is about

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

BLM isn't about that genderqueer destroy the family thing,
Bullshit.

You can quibble about who or what BLM is, given its decentralized nature, but whoever fashioned those core principles on the main site was not invoking that language to wow the rubes with their fancytalk. You don't use wording like "[w]e are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement" because you want to help families as we understand them, you use that wording because you want to destroy the old paradigm and radically redefine what a family is.

And fine, maybe that's a good thing, but let's speak honestly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bullshit.

You can quibble about who or what BLM is, given its decentralized nature, but whoever fashioned those core principles on the main site was not invoking that language to wow the rubes with their fancytalk. You don't use wording like "[w]e are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement" because you want to help families as we understand them, you use that wording because you want to destroy the old paradigm and radically redefine what a family is.

i forget which college protest it was but i remeber blm or the student group wrote some manifesto and most of it was poo poo like that and demands like no cops on campus and homeless allowed on campus 24/7.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i forget which college protest it was but i remeber blm or the student group wrote some manifesto and most of it was poo poo like that and demands like no cops on campus and homeless allowed on campus 24/7.

That seems extremely cool and good

I forgot which but I heard one BLM protest was demanding free ice cream and death to all cops and a moonbase

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bullshit.

I think you might be overreacting slightly

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

I think you might be overreacting slightly
maybe

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Crane Fist posted:

That seems extremely cool and good

I forgot which but I heard one BLM protest was demanding free ice cream and death to all cops and a moonbase

I thought it was weird when they hired Newt Gingrich to consult with them.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

the main message of which is the whole police murders thing. If he's not interested in genderqueering that's fine, because that's not the message BLM is fighting for. It's incidental.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/07/04/black-lives-matter-protesters-disrupt-toronto-pride-parade-claim-event-is-anti-black/

https://twitter.com/BLM_TO/status/749696130003468288

https://twitter.com/BLM_TO/status/749690247974301696

BLM don't seem to be so much about protesting police brutality as being just broadly anti-police, and looking at stuff like the Clinton encounter they strike me more as black separatists/segregationists than folks who want real redress, they also seem happy to slander groups and events as being racist/anti-black if they do things like let the police be involved.

These aren't really sympathetic stances to most people, I don't even think that the people who went on the initial protests that made the BLM name well known would support that sort of poo poo either.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

This is all true and a good point, but kind of irrelevant- BLM isn't about that genderqueer destroy the family thing, it's about "cops keep killing us oh poo poo" and that's what the main message is. That yokel you're talking about isn't going to be doing what TTT was and scrolling through their website to try and find something to make them look bad. His exposure is going to come from the news about protests and activism poo poo BLM is up to, the main message of which is the whole police murders thing. If he's not interested in genderqueering that's fine, because that's not the message BLM is fighting for. It's incidental.

I was using it more as an example of mindset :v: when you use this high falutin' language in the ideas you have on the side, you can be sure it will seep into your attitude and how you communicate about other topics, like police brutality. And when that happens you get incidents like BLM stopping Pride floats in Toronto because ??????

The two are linked. If they can't communicate the complex concepts then how will they communicate the simpler stuff?

It's a communications issue and it permeates the entire mindset and cause and dooms it to failure.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

Okay and if they were in charge of the movement or indicative of its direction that'd be a problem

But they're not
the good news is that they're not in charge of Black Lives Matter. the bad news is that nobody is in charge. additionally, there's no unified organization, there are no guidelines to run a group, and it's structureless to the point of having lunatics run the asylum in places like Toronto and Seattle. i was looking at all the groups that came together to hold events for World Refugee Day in NYC, and there was a whole mosaic of them- African groups, Asian groups, Hispanic groups, Jewish groups, DSA, the Working Families Party, New York Communities for Change, etc. but there was no Black Lives Matter New York because that's not an official group. if they were, they'd be involved with it, and they'd equate the struggle to make a black life equal to a white life with those of the struggle of refugees here and worldwide

this critique of BLM is dated in parts (bernie sanders did respond soon after the Seattle incident and there was a platform introduced by the Movement for Black Lives last year), but one point is still very true about them: they're not so much a group promoting activism as they are a brand. that's why Deray speaks at Wells Fargo regarding BLM and has never seen a brand that he doesn't want to promote. he doesn't represent the movement as a whole, but he doesn't exist in a vacuum. what they need to be doing is organizing, reaching out, and promoting solidarity. all i see from people who identify with BLM are hashtags, visibility campaigns after the latest incident of a cop shooting and killing a black person, and a lot of excuses as to why they're not here to educate you

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Jun 27, 2017

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

the high priest of a cult of The Old Ones: we should sacrifice all the firstborns in the land
a goon: yeah, maybe we should not do that
me, the trump tutelage, a rational thinker: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

e: That being said, it does seem true that the left has forgotten how to organize and communicate effectively and that it's only now slowly coming back.

SaltyJesus has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Jun 27, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/879776637901979649

lol

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
we have come full circle

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Why would a book about a genetically pure saviour of mankind promote equality?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol what.

get that OUT of my face posted:

the good news is that they're not in charge of Black Lives Matter. the bad news is that nobody is in charge. additionally, there's no unified organization, there are no guidelines to run a group, and it's structureless to the point of having lunatics run the asylum in places like Toronto and Seattle. i was looking at all the groups that came together to hold events for World Refugee Day in NYC, and there was a whole mosaic of them- African groups, Asian groups, Hispanic groups, Jewish groups, DSA, the Working Families Party, New York Communities for Change, etc. but there was no Black Lives Matter New York because that's not an official group. if they were, they'd be involved with it, and they'd equate the struggle to make a black life equal to a white life with those of the struggle of refugees here and worldwide

this critique of BLM is dated in parts (bernie sanders did respond soon after the Seattle incident and there was a platform introduced by the Movement for Black Lives last year), but one point is still very true about them: they're not so much a group promoting activism as they are a brand. that's why Deray speaks at Wells Fargo regarding BLM and has never seen a brand that he doesn't want to promote. he doesn't represent the movement as a whole, but he doesn't exist in a vacuum. what they need to be doing is organizing, reaching out, and promoting solidarity. all i see from people who identify with BLM are hashtags, visibility campaigns after the latest incident of a cop shooting and killing a black person, and a lot of excuses as to why they're not here to educate you

i always feel mixed, because i agree with alot of what they say or try to say, but then stupid college poo poo happens or a bunch get mad at the victims of the bataclan/paris attacks for stealing the spotlight from a college protest. i am one of those people who likes malcom x and the black panthers but doesn't like this poo poo. idk whats wrong with me.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Byolante posted:

Why would a book about a genetically pure saviour of mankind promote equality?

Reading fiction has been found to foster empathy, probably because it makes you consider other points of view in your head meats.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always feel mixed, because i agree with alot of what they say or try to say, but then stupid college poo poo happens or a bunch get mad at the victims of the bataclan/paris attacks for stealing the spotlight from a college protest. i am one of those people who likes malcom x and the black panthers but doesn't like this poo poo. idk whats wrong with me.

Yeah I've seen videos of the Missouri protests and people like Jonathan Butler, then go "gently caress these assholes". Same with those that create the "safetypinbox", I think there's a certain class of shithead that exists in this country, and like the right, we have them too.

But I did think the Black Panthers actually did some good, and Malcolm X's words about "white liberals" also was something that was insanely accurate during this election. I'd add people like Nina Turner, Killer Mike, and others like them seem to do amazing work.

I don't disagree with "Black lives matter". I find the shitheads that hijack it for their own brand (ie Deray) are really insufferable. The idiots that go and say poo poo like "WORRYING ABOUT HOW WALL STREET IS RUNNING LAWLESS IN THIS COUNTRY IS A WHITE PEOPLE PROBLEM. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THAT". (I can't find the tweet, but that is an opinion I've seen expressed)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You're swinging at ghosts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah I've seen videos of the Missouri protests and people like Jonathan Butler, then go "gently caress these assholes". Same with those that create the "safetypinbox", I think there's a certain class of shithead that exists in this country, and like the right, we have them too.

But I did think the Black Panthers actually did some good, and Malcolm X's words about "white liberals" also was something that was insanely accurate during this election. I'd add people like Nina Turner, Killer Mike, and others like them seem to do amazing work.

I don't disagree with "Black lives matter". I find the shitheads that hijack it for their own brand (ie Deray) are really insufferable. The idiots that go and say poo poo like "WORRYING ABOUT HOW WALL STREET IS RUNNING LAWLESS IN THIS COUNTRY IS A WHITE PEOPLE PROBLEM. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THAT". (I can't find the tweet, but that is an opinion I've seen expressed)

You also get lunatics like Tariq Nasheed who take time out from a busy schedule of PUA podcasting to promote racial hatred.

• Locked thread