Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zikan posted:

https://twitter.com/JerryMoran/status/879780429246738433

lol if McConnell has to split his slush fund so much it he can't please anyone

moran doesn't need to be bribed to vote yes, he just needs to be told it will pass - this is the sort of running for the exits you see that indicates the real swing votes aren't there

he can read 17% approval and realize that's not what he wants to hang his hat on for the fun of it when he's not getting the tax cuts out of the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Javes posted:

Which outlet was that guy from?

The Sentinel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zikan posted:

https://twitter.com/JerryMoran/status/879780429246738433

lol if McConnell has to split his slush fund so much it he can't please anyone

Apparently Senator Koch isn't sold either.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Eltoasto posted:

The NSA

Although do we know if they made it or just sat on it for years?

They found a massive flaw and decided not to tell Microsoft so that they could exploit it themselves.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Eltoasto posted:

The NSA

they made it, this stuff is based on the shadowbroker leaks from a while back. it's been hitting europe pretty hard but started all over ukraine, so the chances of russian involvement are decent.

edit: this is actually not true, the story is developing so fast that my info was outdated by the time i posted it. current analysis here:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/27/ransomware-virus-nsa-petya-hacking-tools-240008

botany fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 27, 2017

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I keep reading BCRA as BRCA, which is one of the genes responsible for breast cancer. Fitting, really

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The GOP might have to

*shudder*

work with Democrats

:commissar:

Of course that would be even worse for the house caucus then passing this poo poo bill.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eltoasto posted:

The NSA

They found the exploit underlying it and sat on it for years while using it internally in targeted attacks, then it was leaked and someone else used it to make auto-propagating malware. This is effectively WannaCry 2.0.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

haveblue posted:

They found the exploit underlying it and sat on it for years while using it internally in targeted attacks, then it was leaked and someone else used it to make auto-propagating malware. This is effectively WannaCry 2.0.

Also, understandably, Microsoft is loving furious.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dietrich posted:

The GOP might have to

*shudder*

work with Democrats

:commissar:

Of course that would be even worse for the house caucus then passing this poo poo bill.

Reminder that if Ryan is unable to pass a budget because of the HFC crazies, Pelosi has already signaled that the price will be an Obamacare fix to explicitly state that Federal exchanges are eligible for subsidies which the president can't block. If she forces him to agree to that, then they'll probably even get a veto-proof majority.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He gained 1k followers since you posted. Dude's gonna be a rockstar if he plays this right.

Hoping for a transcript here.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rigel posted:

Reminder that if Ryan is unable to pass a budget because of the HFC crazies, Pelosi has already signaled that the price will be an Obamacare fix to explicitly state that Federal exchanges are eligible for subsidies which the president can't block. If she forces him to agree to that, then they'll probably even get a veto-proof majority.

I'm glad corn syrup exists solely due to how loving disruptive they are

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Reminder that if Ryan is unable to pass a budget because of the HFC crazies, Pelosi has already signaled that the price will be an Obamacare fix to explicitly state that Federal exchanges are eligible for subsidies which the president can't block.

That's for not shutting the government down iirc. Pelosi rather just have a budget not pass at all because a budget is nonbinding (and so you can't get the obamacare funds) but allows the 2018 reconciliation bill.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

I didn't say renewables are bad, I was specifically responding to the point about relying on energy storage technologies that will "continue to improve" as opposed to starting on nuclear power immediately because already have that technology. If energy storage gets to the point where we can be 100% renewables, great. But until we're at that point, it's foolish for people to completely dismiss nuclear power if they actually give two shits about climate change.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sloober posted:

I'm glad corn syrup exists solely due to how loving disruptive they are

Ok I'll bite - what are you talking about?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Ok I'll bite - what are you talking about?

hfc is also an anagram for high-fructose corn syrup as well as for the house freedom caucus

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

hfc is also an anagram for high-fructose corn syrup as well as for the house freedom caucus

Yeah I know, but I wanted to lure that guy into explaining how dumb his joke was.

Now I have nothing :smith:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah I know, but I wanted to lure that guy into explaining how dumb his joke was.

Now I have nothing :smith:

friend i got nothing but really dumb jokes

For real they're the dumbest jokes, i'm probably mike huckabee level dumb joker

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In other news a possible active shooter situation at a military base from earlier today appears to be a whole lot of nothing.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In other news a possible active shooter situation at a military base from earlier today appears to be a whole lot of nothing.

too many good guys with guns

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

I didn't say renewables are bad, I was specifically responding to the point about relying on energy storage technologies that will "continue to improve" as opposed to starting on nuclear power immediately because already have that technology. If energy storage gets to the point where we can be 100% renewables, great. But until we're at that point, it's foolish for people to completely dismiss nuclear power if they actually give two shits about climate change.

Except of course, no one wants to build current nuclear designs. Nuclear power needs new and unproven technology to be competitive and sustainable. Why risk building a multi-billion dollar plant then ruin it like Crystal River or SONGS? Current designs are safe and expensive. Nuclear needs newer "unproven" designs that are safer and cheaper.

By all means we shouldn't abandon nuclear, but the problems of the industry are far more practical than political. Ask Westinghouse or Areva.

At this point we should be promoting any MW of non-carbon energy capacity we responsibly add, regardless the source. To that end, I'm glad renewable installation rates have begun to pick up the slack.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/879696851674566656

Earlier this month the R leadership were talking of the importance of getting this passed before the end of the month, hope they were right.

The onion is truly a monkeys paw. It gives you hilarious parody, and then the finger curls as the parody slowly becomes reality.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/879788800095944706

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is just a total Hail Mary, right? It sure sounds like one.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

That seems like a soft deadline to me. I've heard that the actual hard deadline to vote is the end of July (after that, they absolutely have to move on to the budget and debt ceiling), and if the CBO needs a week and a half, then the real deadline is probably in 3 weeks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What exactly is going to change between now and Friday as Republicans continue running for the exits?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

This is just a total Hail Mary, right? It sure sounds like one.

Not really. I mean, of course they're going to try to cut deals. But it suggests that deal-cutting time isn't unlimited because they've got to get the CBO score, then take the few days to vote, and hope the deal doesn't collapse in the interim.

The only thing that will be a real hail mary is bringing a new bill to the floor with like 48-49 soft yes votes and just daring the holdouts to vote no. Everything else is just them doing what you'd expect them to be doing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What exactly is going to change between now and Friday as Republicans continue running for the exits?

He's going to try to agree on what amendments secure the moderate votes that haven't gone hard no yet (Capuito/Murkowski/Collins/Portman), then try to see if he can get Paul/Lee/Cruz without losing them again. They haven't really done the horse trading on the amendments to get holdouts to yes it seems.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
lol there is no way they can come up with something by Friday. Collins and Heller alone specifically cited the tens of millions of people losing health insurance as the main reason for not supporting it. They can't fix that poo poo by Friday, the bill is rotten at the core.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Capito and Portman have just announced that they won't vote for the current Senate bill.

So, along with Moran (wasn't expecting that at all, wow), are we up to 8 public no's now? Or am I double-counting someone?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/879790395370221569

opioid funding is easy, the medicaid issue is hard, will be important precisely what they said

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TAN SUIT TAN SUIT TAN SUIT

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Not really. I mean, of course they're going to try to cut deals. But it suggests that deal-cutting time isn't unlimited because they've got to get the CBO score, then take the few days to vote, and hope the deal doesn't collapse in the interim.

Right, that's what I mean by a "Hail Mary" - the odds of them getting anything passed by Friday that they can work with after the recess are low. McConnell is just trying desperately to keep the ball rolling.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Here's the statement:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/879791052982550528

This is very weak. Capuito is saying the cuts to medicaid are too deep, not that cuts to medicaid are bad. Portman barely says anything at all. This is basically a "we're going with the winning side", not something that suggests they will be hard to get.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

Right, that's what I mean by a "Hail Mary" - the odds of them getting anything passed by Friday that they can work with after the recess are low. McConnell is just trying desperately to keep the ball rolling.

Oh it's not that they need to pass something by friday. They have to reach agreements by Friday so they can submit them to the CBO then vote next week. Those agreements may not be public until scored - it's hammering out the exact language that will get each one on board.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If they sidelined Spicer because he's "getting fatter", why did they replace him with someone fatter? Story doesn't stand up to scrutiny imo

Bannon into BBWs.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

nerdz posted:

Hoping for a transcript here.

not a transcript (its 4 minutes of word salad) but absolutely worth watching
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/879781462093869056

e: worth remembering
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/879785149491228672

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lightning Lord posted:

Bannon into BBWs.

Who isn't? Beautiful is right there in the acronym

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

They've got nothing, they're hosed. As it stands, I could see them getting hypothetically wrangled by a strong and popular president, but just...lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Oh it's not that they need to pass something by friday. They have to reach agreements by Friday so they can submit them to the CBO then vote next week. Those agreements may not be public until scored - it's hammering out the exact language that will get each one on board.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

awesmoe posted:

not a transcript (its 4 minutes of word salad) but absolutely worth watching
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/879781462093869056

e: worth remembering
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/879785149491228672

I have a lower-than-average tolerance for cringe comedy, especially when it's unintentional, but this is very watchable. Major props to the guy who called her out. I wish more of the reporters had backed him up, because what a craven lovely answer.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 27, 2017

• Locked thread