Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

the ~math~ is basically

you gotta do a statewide ballot (or hold a convention lol) either way, so do you want to have a ballot on its own or do you want to have a ballot and also a bunch of dems going on record as voting for a significant tax increase and probably a bunch of seats lost in the upcoming election because people are idiots

and are those seats worth the lives that will be lost, especially if trump passes his poo poo Now and ya gotta wait until another election cycle to get the groundwork passed much less functional communism implemented

if you're gonna take it as a given that talking about a tax increase = a whole bunch of seats lost, then why even bother with the ballot proposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dems seem to be operating under a mistaken assumption that their voters won't be disproportionately killed off by the obamacare repeal

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Main Paineframe posted:

if you're gonna take it as a given that talking about a tax increase = a whole bunch of seats lost, then why even bother with the ballot proposition?

because then kaiser will still give rendon et al campaign donations

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

Check out my prior post about Ranked Choice and the 3% tax for high earners to boost schools in Maine

The budget thing might shut down Maine's government for the summer lol.

Good. Maine is the whitest/one of the oldest age wise states on the union correct?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a ballot measure would probably the california dems' preferred way to try single payer so that they can all campaign against it like in colorado

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

fits my needs posted:

Good. Maine is the whitest/one of the oldest age wise states on the union correct?
Bigotry ain't a good color buddy.

Also the only good things about it would be it'd rile people up in this current political environment and that it's summer so people won't die from being too cold and food is more accessible... if they can afford it.

Lets hope Ranked Choice sticks around so we can better vote people out in 2018.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah, and its almost as if there's a whole lot of things going on in addition to that which might require a supermajority in the statehouse to save lives. who the gently caress knows what trump is going to do between now and the end of his term. who the gently caress knows what the states might have to do to stop it. and on top of that, you don't go all loving in on a single payer system before trumpcare passes, because suddenly you have a giant bright target and the republican consensus to gently caress over california is going to make itself. whoops its january 2019 and congress says if you have a single payer system you dont get any federal health care funding whoops now we need to go back and tweak the taxes again whoops millions of people are going to die because we lost the supermajority to THEY RAISED YOUR TAXES ads and now we gotta wait until the next election cycle whoops

politics is sitting down to do the loving math to see what helps the most people possible, in ways that can't be easily beaten. that's triply true for states trying to buck federal imperative. it's not to be an idiot child saying that you dont need to think about anything in the entire world other than californians without insurance between the aca repeal and november 2018

people like you are why democrats are worthless lol

You are right, we need to play TWELVE Dimensional chess now, 11 doesn't work.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

Bigotry ain't a good color buddy.

Also the only good things about it would be it'd rile people up in this current political environment and that it's summer so people won't die from being too cold and food is more accessible... if they can afford it.

Lets hope Ranked Choice sticks around so we can better vote people out in 2018.

I lust for rural white death :shrug:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/879775738341105664

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

hard to really call it a "massive push" when they never even finished the bill. the never passed the funding mechanism through the senate, which would require a 2/3rds vote. and they didn't bother because the governor would just veto it anyway

lorbl

even with a supermajority of democrats, they continue to find ways to renege on things overwhelming majorities of their constituents want, and here's CC falling over himself with excuses for their actions

its far easier said like this: democrats do not want single payer to happen. they have had multiple opportunities and torpedoed them all. Botton line really

if you care about getting away from the parasitic healthcare system of the u.s., it sure isnt the Republicans to fix it, but its also very clear now the Democratic party doesnt give a flying gently caress about actual healthcare solutions either

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

fits my needs posted:

I lust for rural white death :shrug:
Well Maine's already got that via nature, timelocked status, and a proto-trump governor.
Nature doesn't discriminate and they're too poor to move away due to not being close enough to states that matter.

Both senators are against the new Trumpcare bill too because it'd kill the people that vote for them.

Maine also splits it's EV between southern and northern Maine too, with the mostly rural part only having 1 EV.
We've got a lot better system up here for dealing with that stuff when compared to all the non-new england states, maybe you should lust that the rest of the united states was more like Maine.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

would there even be anything left lol

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
it's time to start shooting insurance execs in the rear end & balls

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

would there even be anything left lol

maybe his plan is to get the GOP to stop trying to kneecap it since they now partially own it

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ex post facho posted:

lorbl

even with a supermajority of democrats, they continue to find ways to renege on things overwhelming majorities of their constituents want, and here's CC falling over himself with excuses for their actions

its far easier said like this: democrats do not want single payer to happen. they have had multiple opportunities and torpedoed them all. Botton line really

if you care about getting away from the parasitic healthcare system of the u.s., it sure isnt the Republicans to fix it, but its also very clear now the Democratic party doesnt give a flying gently caress about actual healthcare solutions either

i don't think anyone here actually believes a supermajority of democrats means there's a supermajority for everything progressives want no matter how much you bleat about it. there's a majority, not a supermajority. you need a supermajority. the only realistic path for such an overhaul is going to be a 2018 initiative

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zeal posted:

Yeah, you were a dipshit 20-year-old hillary hack, WE KNOW

I'm not sure if Venom was ever committed enough to get the Hillary Bro haircut though.

But people should remember he's a college aged lanyard.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

luckily, the supermajority in california gives a lot of wiggle room where if a massive primarying of the bad dems in the jungle primary leads to a handful of seats being temporarily lost to republicans, that'd be okay

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:hmbol:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

Well Maine's already got that via nature, timelocked status, and a proto-trump governor.
Nature doesn't discriminate and they're too poor to move away due to not being close enough to states that matter.

Both senators are against the new Trumpcare bill too because it'd kill the people that vote for them.

Maine also splits it's EV between southern and northern Maine too, with the mostly rural part only having 1 EV.
We've got a lot better system up here for dealing with that stuff when compared to all the non-new england states, maybe you should lust that the rest of the united states was more like Maine.

Sounds like things will have to get worse, before they get better. Or the death issue will take care of the problem. Either way, I don't want to be in any state that is 98%+ white lmao

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Thoguh posted:

I'm not sure if Venom was ever committed enough to get the Hillary Bro haircut though.

But people should remember he's a college aged lanyard.

Please don't blame vs for being raised in a secular cult

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
we need a majority!

we need a supermajority!

we need a supermajority with the governorship!

we need a supermajority with the governorship... of progressives!

can u guys still see those goalposts? the dems have carried them so far away I can't even tell if its time for a hail mary or more power o up the gut

Seemz to me with supermajorities it woild been smarter to run it up the middle on the one yard line, istead lets try a pass gently caress

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
maybe we can set up a theater where liberals can watch Harry Potter and Aaron Sorkin shows all day and then just trap them all there

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/879724873639116800

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

fits my needs posted:

Sounds like things will have to get worse, before they get better. Or the death issue will take care of the problem. Either way, I don't want to be in any state that is 98%+ white lmao
It's already pretty bad lol, but that's why I'm ambivalent/indifferent to a shutdown.

Welp, it's your right to make decisions based on bigotry :shrug: lmao.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
actually in this situation its more like the dems having first and goal at the 1, getting three consecutive false start penalties then deciding to kneel down instead of running a play lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't think anyone here actually believes a supermajority of democrats means there's a supermajority for everything progressives want no matter how much you bleat about it. there's a majority, not a supermajority. you need a supermajority. the only realistic path for such an overhaul is going to be a 2018 initiative

i thought centrists were supposed to be a group we can compromise with. why do we need a supermajority of progressives for a bill to even be debated? are they really our allies?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

It's already pretty bad lol, but that's why I'm ambivalent to a shutdown.
Welp, it's your right to make decisions based on bigotry :shrug: lmao.

worked for the republicans

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

so what you're saying is... democrats...

...are worthless?

:thunk:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Using house elves at Hogwarts was a longstanding tradition, which kept down costs.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
The Democratic Party is a garbage party full of corporatist shitstains hth

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

isn't it strange how centrists are using the same tactics on us as republicans use on them?

and republicans are the mortal enemies of centrists, right?

what does that make us?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ex post facho posted:

we need a majority!

we need a supermajority!

we need a supermajority with the governorship!

we need a supermajority with the governorship... of progressives!

can u guys still see those goalposts? the dems have carried them so far away I can't even tell if its time for a hail mary or more power o up the gut

Seemz to me with supermajorities it woild been smarter to run it up the middle on the one yard line, istead lets try a pass gently caress

no one ever said "if we have a supermajority of democrats we will have single payer" ever, you literally just invented that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

maybe we can set up a theater where liberals can watch Harry Potter and Aaron Sorkin shows all day and then just trap them all there

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/879724873639116800

ugh shes still going with the identity politics stuff

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

no one ever said "if we have a supermajority of democrats we will have single payer" ever, you literally just invented that

democrats have in fact told people that they can't pass singlepayer cause there aren't enough democrats in power. now we learn that we got the wrong democrats! these ones are republican democrats and we need to return them cause they're as obstructionist as their republican buddies!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Condiv posted:

isn't it strange how centrists are using the same tactics on us as republicans use on them?

and republicans are the mortal enemies of centrists, right?

what does that make us?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

What exactly got him in a feud with Current Affairs in the first place?

also, lol

https://twitter.com/johnastoehr/status/879705868270542849

why, yes, the income bracket that swung towards the GOP more from 2012 than any other clearly just adored Hillary

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Condiv posted:

i thought centrists were supposed to be a group we can compromise with. why do we need a supermajority of progressives for a bill to even be debated? are they really our allies?

nah centrists are poo poo garbage for idiots

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
lmao just lmfao if you're even thinking of voting for another Democrat ever again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
why won't u say the words.

radical centrist terrorism

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
buttigieg / binetti 2020

• Locked thread