Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Combat in this game feels pretty bad and unsatisfying whether you're using guns or psi powers and that's really the only major complaint I have against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bioshock had much poorer enemy variety than this game

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I've been playing bideo games for like 25 years (the shame) and I can't believe Prey and Dishonored 2 aren't selling well. These games are what the medium should be all about imho. What the gently caress are people buying and playing if it's not these games?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wengy posted:

I've been playing bideo games for like 25 years (the shame) and I can't believe Prey and Dishonored 2 aren't selling well. These games are what the medium should be all about imho. What the gently caress are people buying and playing if it's not these games?

Call of Duty and Fifa games.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Call of Duty hasn't sold to expectations in awhile. Look to Destiny for the industry's immediate future.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The BioShocks are some of the worst AAA shooters ever designed, they feel so incredibly bad to play. Fighting any kind of mechanical enemy in any of those games was like nails on a chalkboard and part of the reason why I was worried about Prey because of all the Operators, but in Prey it's pretty satisfying to shock and hack and blow them up. Also BioShock Infinite's gameplay conceits with the rails and the tears were dumb and underutilized in monotonous arena garbage. Prey felt way better and satisfying in both hide-and-seek stealth and brutal, quick-lethal assault styles

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bioshock had much poorer enemy variety than this game

Which is fine with me because it makes for a good example of why you don't need a ton of different enemies that do a bunch of different things that have the same basic effect on you with a special grenade to disable each specific one. Prey has too many special-type enemies and not enough common ones imo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Combat wasn't the deepest but Mimics were great since they pretty much fundamentally change how you played the game

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wengy posted:

Prey and Dishonored are heavily influenced by games that, despite being cornerstones of the genre, didn't sell too well themselves (System Shock, Deus Ex, Thief). None of those games were failures by any means, but they didn't sell nearly as well as games in the same era that were less complex and more action-oriented (e.g. Half-Life). Frankly, I'm surprised Zenimax/Bethesda was willing to finance Arkane in the first place.

I don't have any off-hand numbers or anything, but from what I've read, Dishonored 1/2 and Prey seem fairly aligned with their progenitors in terms of fan base and sales, and it isn't like they're flops. There's a new Dishonored game coming out starring secondary characters from the first two games and there'll be DLC for Prey and Arkane's still around doing cool poo poo. Comparatively, look at how quickly Square-Enix shelved the Deus Ex series after Mankind Divided didn't meet expectations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

3Romeo posted:

I don't have any off-hand numbers or anything, but from what I've read, Dishonored 1/2 and Prey seem fairly aligned with their progenitors in terms of fan base and sales, and it isn't like they're flops. There's a new Dishonored game coming out starring secondary characters from the first two games and there'll be DLC for Prey and Arkane's still around doing cool poo poo. Comparatively, look at how quickly Square-Enix shelved the Deus Ex series after Mankind Divided didn't meet expectations.

However lenient Bethesda the publisher is with its studios' sales expectations, I don't think it can last forever. They're pumping millions into projects with barely any returns.

And has there been so much as a peep about possible Prey DLC? There was some noncommittal talk before release, but since then the only thing mentioned was a possible trauma system patch, afaik.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

However lenient Bethesda the publisher is with its studios' sales expectations, I don't think it can last forever. They're pumping millions into projects with barely any returns.

And has there been so much as a peep about possible Prey DLC? There was some noncommittal talk before release, but since then the only thing mentioned was a possible trauma system patch, afaik.

Honestly I hope some of the heads at there are starting to wake up and realize that their marketing and PR are a complete failure. Not giving out review copies works for Fallout and Elder scrolls is fine because they're huge, but doing so for Prey and Dishonored 2 killed their momentum right out the gate.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I like this game a lot, but I can't fault the potential gaming market at large for not eating up the 'sneak around and read people's emails' genre. I can only take it in small bits myself. I was starting to get bored around when I reached the Arboretum and then the game spiced it up by having a few zones with survivors and interesting things going on. Now I can't even remember what I'm doing. Something to do with a power plant. I feel like half+ the game has been a convoluted sequence of events trying to get the arming keys.

Combat is indeed bad. I started off creative but now I just sneak up and shotgun people because I'm generally just trying to get it over with. By sneak, I mean sprint.

Also for the Bioshock discussion: Infinite was trash but the first one was quite good and the most memorable version of this type of game for me. It fell off towards the end like they all do though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bioshock 1 pays lip service to the genre. Prey is an immersive sim through and through.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Raph Colantonio, central brain trust of Arkane and the director of Prey, is stepping away from Arkane: https://bethesda.net/en/article/5WUTxSzVbUmm0KGmwwuGUK/a-message-from-raphael-colantonio

Harvey Smith will be the big cheese from here on out, as he is co-founder of the company. Sad to see Colantonio leave after his baby came out (I think Smith was main director of DH1/2 but Colantonio was the prime guy on Prey) and it will leave the future of Prey that much more in question. That being said, Arkane under Harvey Smith will still likely continue to be great, given his experience and history.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Raph Colantonio, central brain trust of Arkane and the director of Prey, is stepping away from Arkane: https://bethesda.net/en/article/5WUTxSzVbUmm0KGmwwuGUK/a-message-from-raphael-colantonio

Harvey Smith will be the big cheese from here on out, as he is co-founder of the company. Sad to see Colantonio leave after his baby came out (I think Smith was main director of DH1/2 but Colantonio was the prime guy on Prey) and it will leave the future of Prey that much more in question. That being said, Arkane under Harvey Smith will still likely continue to be great, given his experience and history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI4dy76T7u0&t=242s
(4:02)

:(

He also didn't sound like he was planning to leave anytime soon.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Wengy posted:

Dishonored 2 and Prey are some of the most uninspired games I have played through. They bored me to absolute tears, I didn't like the art direction, the game play was medicore, and nothing popped out as actually anything better than "Blah", aside from "Hey at least you can have a couple ways to do something which ends in the same result anyway". I have always thought Arkane was one of the most overrated studios ever. When I see people saying Prey reminds them of System Shock or Bioshock, I think they need to go back and play those again because I am guessing they may have a memory disorder.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm playing bioshock right now. I shouldn't have, as it's nowhere near as good as I remember.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Utnayan posted:

Dishonored 2 and Prey are some of the most uninspired games I have played through. They bored me to absolute tears, I didn't like the art direction, the game play was medicore, and nothing popped out as actually anything better than "Blah", aside from "Hey at least you can have a couple ways to do something which ends in the same result anyway". I have always thought Arkane was one of the most overrated studios ever. When I see people saying Prey reminds them of System Shock or Bioshock, I think they need to go back and play those again because I am guessing they may have a memory disorder.

lol you thought Infinite was better. A game where the powers might as well have been grenades or guns

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The BioShocks are some of the worst AAA shooters ever designed, they feel so incredibly bad to play. Fighting any kind of mechanical enemy in any of those games was like nails on a chalkboard and part of the reason why I was worried about Prey because of all the Operators, but in Prey it's pretty satisfying to shock and hack and blow them up. Also BioShock Infinite's gameplay conceits with the rails and the tears were dumb and underutilized in monotonous arena garbage. Prey felt way better and satisfying in both hide-and-seek stealth and brutal, quick-lethal assault styles

Not sure why everyone thought the shooting was bad in Bioshock. Maybe it was because I was so immersed in the world I didn't care. I * still * remember to this day (And I played this game on launch back in 2007) Sander Cohen coming down the stairs pretending to accept an award for the sociopathic things he made the player do. There is none of the world building, character depth, script, audio sound tracks, or voice acting in that anyone should ever be able to compare Prey to any Bioshock game. Hell, Bioshock Infinite had me roped in in the first 5 minutes when I was sitting there in awe watching a barbershop quartet sing God Only knows on a floating train with an older couple dancing, and I didn't even start the game yet.

None of that attention to detail is in any Arkane game. Which is why I do not think it is even fair to put prey in the same ballpark. Prey is a run of the mill mediocre uninspired world full of emails to read because the developer cannot be tasked with playing some of those ideas out in the world, other than some written narrative which hardly anyone reads, to save money.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm one of those weird dudes who likes Bioshock 2 the most out of the three Bioshock games in that it makes both Bioshock 1 and Infinite seem like clunky messes, which is ironic because you're literally stomping around in a 150 lb metal diving suit the entire game.

edit: I too am disappointed that the only musical interlude in Prey is a pop electronic band thing and not a barber shop quartet.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 27, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

lol you thought Infinite was better. A game where the powers might as well have been grenades or guns

Yes, grenades and guns are well known for slamming you into enemies like a mass effect vanguard charge, putting up a bullet shield, pushing away or pulling in enemies, or converting enemies to your side.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Digirat posted:

Yes, grenades and guns are well known for slamming you into enemies like a mass effect vanguard charge, putting up a bullet shield, pushing away or pulling in enemies, or converting enemies to your side.

none of those things are "control an army of rats, then become the rats"

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

I'm one of those weird dudes who likes Bioshock 2 the most out of the three Bioshock games in that it makes both Bioshock 1 and Infinite seem like clunky messes, which is ironic because you're literally stomping around in a 150 lb metal diving suit the entire game.

edit: I too am disappointed that the only musical interlude in Prey is a pop electronic band thing and not a barber shop quartet.

Another cool thing about world building in Bioshock infinite was when Elizabeth opens that original tear and it's circa 1983 - Before Lucas changed the name of Return of the Jedi, and it was still Revenge of the Jedi showing on the theater marquee, with Everybody wants to rule the world playing in the background. I do not think it's everyone's cup of tea to see that type of effort put into such small segments, but those small segments for me make a game world. None of that is in Prey, and it could have been. Hell, even the original Prey had Fear the Reaper going on at the start of the game when the aliens came crashing down into the bar to start things off.

Those little touches in Bioshock 1 and Infinite are why I am such a fan of Ken Levine. Hell, you could walk right past that barbershop quartet and I guarantee you in meetings they were saying, "Why waste the resources on this small segment the player might just zip on passed and not even see it", and Levine would tell them to gently caress off, it's in the game, and then have 45 takes with the barbershop quartet to get the song right on top of it.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 27, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm playing bioshock right now. I shouldn't have, as it's nowhere near as good as I remember.

I replayed it recently and it's just as good as I remember, personally! :sax:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

AngryBooch posted:

Bioshock 2 is the most fun of the three. The story might be a bit uninspired, but they improved on the gameplay from 1 and then made a bunch of changes for the worse with Infinite. Really weird decisions, like changing the weapon upgrade system from meaningful upgrades which altered the look and function of the weapon to stuff like "+25% pistol damage" on a pistol which then gets replaced by a different, nearly identical pistol once the story advances to the alternate dimension. Infinite is the most visually appealing of the games, but probably the worst to actually play.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Utnayan posted:

Not sure why everyone thought the shooting was bad in Bioshock.

Bioshock (the original at least) is quite literally the worst shooter I ever finished, in terms of being a shooter. The game had some stuff going for it, but "interesting mechanics" was not among them. Difficulty was nonexistent, the variety was almost all superficial, there was no lateral thinking or tactical component at all.

It was dreadful in every conceivable way, and this is from someone who likes a wide variety of very different shooters. Bioshock had nothing going for it except the Big Daddy fights, and that's not enough to carry the game.

Praise the atmosphere of Bioshock all you want, but mechanically it was worse than prey in every respect, even combat (although I am more than willing to admit that Prey's combat is still pretty lackluster overall)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Utnayan posted:

Not sure why everyone thought the shooting was bad in Bioshock. Maybe it was because I was so immersed in the world I didn't care. I * still * remember to this day (And I played this game on launch back in 2007) Sander Cohen coming down the stairs pretending to accept an award for the sociopathic things he made the player do. There is none of the world building, character depth, script, audio sound tracks, or voice acting in that anyone should ever be able to compare Prey to any Bioshock game. Hell, Bioshock Infinite had me roped in in the first 5 minutes when I was sitting there in awe watching a barbershop quartet sing God Only knows on a floating train with an older couple dancing, and I didn't even start the game yet.

None of that attention to detail is in any Arkane game. Which is why I do not think it is even fair to put prey in the same ballpark. Prey is a run of the mill mediocre uninspired world full of emails to read because the developer cannot be tasked with playing some of those ideas out in the world, other than some written narrative which hardly anyone reads, to save money.

I think you're comparing two separate things. Levine's games were influenced by certain aspects of System Shock and Deus Ex, but focused on action and set pieces more than anything. Prey and Dishonored were influenced by other aspects - the "written narrative", you put it - and it's aimed toward people that have the patience to enjoy reading a story and putting it together piece by piece. There (comparatively) aren't that many gamers who like that sort of thing, you're right. More's the pity.What a shame.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 27, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

none of those things are "control an army of rats, then become the rats"

They're also absolutely nothing like what you implied they were.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AngryBooch posted:

Bioshock 2 was honestlt my favorite. It had really good gameplay, enemy design, and environments, but most people remember the series for the story, which B2 is slightly lacking at times. It's an unfortunate difference in focus.

The musical barfight was great, fight me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Of course the real reason I prefer Prey and the original System Shock to games like Bioshock is because they were largely exploration games on top of everything else, and Bioshock (the whole series) unfortunately offers very little of substance to people who like Exploration gameplay. It's a basic set-piece corridor game with absolutely nothing interesting going on in terms of discovery or level design.

New DOOM was 10 times better as an exploration game than the Bioshocks were, and it's an afterthought. The Halo series were better exploration games than Bioshock.

I really love exploration focused shooters, and Prey is exactly that, no matter how bad the shooting is, so a lot of other stuff is forgiven. It also does a lot with decisions and the theme of choice. Bioshock had an alright story (well, up until the end of the "twist" and then it had a whole bunch more story that was kind of poo poo) but had nothing going on mechanically and ultimately that was just really disappointing. It was a story book with bad shooting.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I probably would have liked Bioshock a lot better if it was a Telltale-style visual novel, resigning itself to focusing on the one part it actually did acceptably well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 27, 2017

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Another cool thing about world building in Bioshock infinite was when Elizabeth opens that original tear and it's circa 1983 - Before Lucas changed the name of Return of the Jedi, and it was still Revenge of the Jedi showing on the theater marquee, with Everybody wants to rule the world playing in the background. I do not think it's everyone's cup of tea to see that type of effort put into such small segments, but those small segments for me make a game world. None of that is in Prey, and it could have been. Hell, even the original Prey had Fear the Reaper going on at the start of the game when the aliens came crashing down into the bar to start things off.

Those little touches in Bioshock 1 and Infinite are why I am such a fan of Ken Levine. Hell, you could walk right past that barbershop quartet and I guarantee you in meetings they were saying, "Why waste the resources on this small segment the player might just zip on passed and not even see it", and Levine would tell them to gently caress off, it's in the game, and then have 45 takes with the barbershop quartet to get the song right on top of it.

Levine and Bioshock Infinite destroyed that studio.

Christ, I'm flashing back to the limerick twins now, Infinite is a bad game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Utnayan posted:

Dishonored 2 and Prey are some of the most uninspired games I have played through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrkHGJ5eSRs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA for anyone arguing with that poster, check their rap sheet for posts in the mass effect andromeda thread. It's a troll.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Utnayan posted:

These were all ho-hum auteurist "Look at me, aren't I smart" riffs that were pointless in the grand scheme of a narrative that tried so hard to appear profound but actually turned out to be hackneyed garbage that was borderline racist, smashed like a child's mushed peas across interminable and and painful combat encounters against bullet sponge after bullet sponge.

The fact that in Prey all the audiologs are actually voice mails that would have been plausibly recorded and are found in places where they might be plausibly dropped in a disaster, shows more attention to constructing a coherent storyworld than anything in a BioShock game where storytelling is delivered through diaries that everyone seems to spill their souls into and force-fed theatrics designed to browbeat simpletons into thinking they're experiencing something that passes for aesthetic innovation

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

Levine and Bioshock Infinite destroyed that studio.

Christ, I'm flashing back to the limerick twins now, Infinite is a bad game.

Metacritic, and even the users, disagree. And went on to sell over 11 million copies and was the best selling Bioshock game ever. I consider that most definitely not a reason why irrational games folded.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite

Levine didn't destroy the studio. Levine wouldn't let Take Two fluff out carbon copy sequels.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 27, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bioshock 1 is a fairly shallow action game with tremendous production values and world building. It captivates through presentation and spectacle.

Prey immerses through sincere verisimilitude, the sheer density of level design and your freedom to interact with it. Talos 1 is a real place not a carnival ride.

Also Fort Frolic is the standout level of Bioshock. Wish more of the game was as distinct.

GlyphGryph posted:

I really love exploration focused shooters, and Prey is exactly that, no matter how bad the shooting is, so a lot of other stuff is forgiven. It also does a lot with decisions and the theme of choice. Bioshock had an alright story (well, up until the end of the "twist" and then it had a whole bunch more story that was kind of poo poo) but had nothing going on mechanically and ultimately that was just really disappointing. It was a story book with bad shooting.

Prey is a "first person adventure" with shooting elements more than it is an FPS.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Digirat posted:

PSA for anyone arguing with that poster, check their rap sheet for posts in the mass effect andromeda thread. It's a troll.

Most definitely not a troll, and I was 100% correct on how horrid of a game Mass Effect Andromeda was. I'd say that is pretty evident now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The fact that in Prey all the audiologs are actually voice mails that would have been plausibly recorded and are found in places where they might be plausibly dropped in a disaster, shows more attention to constructing a coherent storyworld than anything in a BioShock game where storytelling is delivered through diaries that everyone seems to spill their souls into and force-fed theatrics designed to browbeat simpletons into thinking they're experiencing something that passes for aesthetic innovation

And no morbid blood graffiti.

But these are subtle things (you know, actual attention to detail) you won't notice without slowing down and giving the game a bit more attention.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is actually making me laugh it's so absurd. Let's go find a real world disaster zone and all the single-use devices of taped conversations relevant to the plot/disaster. Let's also read the email inboxes with 3 emails in them, also typically relevant to the plot. Neither approach is particularly plausible. Both games make you believe in the world enough to take it in stride (well, Prey and Bioshock did, agreed that Infinite is racist garbage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Metacritic, and even the users, disagree. And went on to sell over 11 million copies and was the best selling Bioshock game ever. I consider that most definitely not a reason why irrational games folded.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite

Levine didn't destroy the studio. Levine wouldn't let Take Two fluff out carbon copy sequels.

Bioshock Infinite is widely regarded as one of the best examples of mass delusion and hype in the video game space. Up there with Black and White and most people have had their come-to-Jesus moment regarding this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-03-three-years-on-how-does-bioshock-infinite-hold-up

PS. you were right about MEA and your video game Snowden rant was pretty funny if overwrought, which I suppose is why Infinite would appeal to you over Prey.